PDA

View Full Version : A possible threat to Del Mar Gun Show?

GuyW
10-25-2010, 8:04 AM
Would the sale of the Del Mar Fairgrounds to the City of Del Mar be a threat to the Del Mar Gun Show?

Could be - I don't trust Del Martians....

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_c9b94c8c-fe3e-5125-99b8-3a65a2fbf238.html

eaglemike
10-25-2010, 8:40 AM
Most likely it would make things more difficult at the very least. Several years ago I did business with a company in Del Mar. They were moving the business location, as (the owner told me) Del Mar had told them they wanted a percentage of every sale made. :mad:

Untamed1972
10-25-2010, 9:00 AM
You mean the "Del Mar Ammo and Cheap Mall Ninja Gear Show"?

With alot of LARGE empty commerical spaces like the old Mervyn's Stores and stuff, I've wondered why those venues are not looked at for these kinds of shows. At least parking would be free if the gun show was at the Mall.

J.D.Allen
10-25-2010, 9:34 AM
You mean the "Del Mar Ammo and Cheap Mall Ninja Gear Show"?

With alot of LARGE empty commerical spaces like the old Mervyn's Stores and stuff, I've wondered why those venues are not looked at for these kinds of shows. At least parking would be free if the gun show was at the Mall.

A GUN show? At the MALL??? :eek: But, but, but...what about the children???:rolleyes:

loather
10-25-2010, 9:49 AM
There have been some rumors of backroom discussions on this very subject. They say that one of the reasons Del Mar was so interested in buying the property was because they wanted to stop certain events from taking place at the fairgrounds; the gun shows being one of them. A concert series was another one of the events (apparently it goes late and the residents of Del Mar get all whiney when they can't sleep -- I say F them for complaining about something they knowingly moved next to). Basically, the city wants to use the fairgrounds for equestrian events and the county fair, *period*.

So yes, this does have the potential to be bad. But, once Nordyke is settled (if ever?!), we'll have excellent precedent to go after Del Mar for a similar reason.

Maestro Pistolero
10-25-2010, 9:50 AM
Isn't Del mar the city that outlawed smoking within the city limits except in a residence?

Untamed1972
10-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Isn't Del mar the city that outlawed smoking within the city limits except in a residence?

There a couple of cities in Sd county that have no-smoking laws. I know El Cajon does. Wouldn't suprise me if the Del Mar did also. The richies in the beach communities like to think they own everything and dont like the fact that they hafta share public areas with the common folk.

Munk
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
A GUN show? At the MALL??? :eek: But, but, but...what about the children???:rolleyes:

You're right, we should think about the children...

They get in for 2$ off standard price, or a free hunter's safety course.

marc4
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
What about Costa Mesa Gun Show? Isn't the Fair Grounds also for sale?

timdps
10-25-2010, 1:25 PM
...if the gun show was at the Mall.

:rofl2:

But on the other hand, if some desperate mall owner were to have one in a mall...:punk:

Tim

Untamed1972
10-25-2010, 1:29 PM
:rofl2:

But on the other hand, if some desperate mall owner were to have one in a mall...:punk:

Tim

Yep....that's what I'm thinkin. Or I have seen some of the old Mervyns buildings that are free standing, not attached to a mall. They are often rented this time of year by the seasonal Halloween Costume stores.

Why not rent them out 3-4 times a year for gun shows? The free parking angle alone would prolly be a good selling point.

Crom
10-25-2010, 2:14 PM
I do not profess to understand all the complexities of the relationship between the City of Del Mar and the State, but I think that the State selling the fairgrounds would be a mistake. And yes I think it would be a threat to the Del Mar Gun Show.

This is reason enough to keep it the way it is:

The association's nine-member board, whose members are appointed by the governor, say they have a well-oiled plan to continue to keep the 400-acre coastal real estate profitable ---- which it is. That's something most racetracks in the western United States can't claim as the industry has seen track after track fall to the wrecking ball to make way for development, or owners have fallen victim to bankruptcy

IGOTDIRT4U
10-25-2010, 2:18 PM
The association's nine-member board, whose members are appointed by the governor, say they have a well-oiled plan to continue to keep the 400-acre coastal real estate profitable ---- which it is. That's something most racetracks in the western United States can't claim as the industry has seen track after track fall to the wrecking ball to make way for development, or owners have fallen victim to bankruptcy

They'll build expensive condos right up to the edge of the racetrack, that's how they will keep it profitable. Then it's easy to ban the gun show. Kids are nearby!!!

GuyW
10-25-2010, 5:49 PM
They'll build expensive condos right up to the edge of the racetrack, that's how they will keep it profitable. Then it's easy to ban the gun show. Kids are nearby!!!

LOL! Build?? DelMartians are waaay more likely to turn it into a United Nations-recognized biosphere sanctuary.....