PDA

View Full Version : Summary of major airline rules for traveling with firearms

gbarbo001
10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
"What are the rules for airline travel with firearms?"

This question comes up a lot. I stumbled over this summary of the rules for virtually all the major U.S. air carriers on the Able's website. Hope you find it as useful as I did.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/airline-regulations.php

bballwizard05
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
link goes to a sales page for 8mm ammo. I looked around a little, you sure the link is right?

gbarbo001
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
link goes to a sales page for 8mm ammo. I looked around a little, you sure the link is right?

Try again. I fixed it.

bondmid003
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I checked my USP into my luggage while flying from CA to NC via US Airways and had no problems. The lady just placed a piece of paper inside my luggage that verified the weapon was unloaded. The only real danger of traveling with a weapon is of having it stolen. Luggage theft is a major problem in the US and unless the entire luggage is stolen (not just valuables removed) the airlines won't honor any claim.

bballwizard05
10-24-2010, 10:52 PM
nice thanks! weird how some approve TSA locks and some don't. is that because TSA lock keys are widely owned and are generic? I dont quite get the TSA lock thing

gbarbo001
10-24-2010, 10:56 PM
nice thanks! weird how some approve TSA locks and some don't. is that because TSA lock keys are widely owned and are generic? I dont quite get the TSA lock thing

I noticed that too. I fly United and they are adamant that only the passenger be able to open the locked gun case once it is inspected by TSA. I assumed they wanted to make sure the baggage handlers could not get into cases and remove weapons. I like that rule. I'll never use TSA approved (AKA, "everyone and his brother has a key") locks.

surprised
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Apparently Delta will only accept pistols if they have telescopes and suppressors on them... Also, you can bring rifles and shotguns if they are packaged as a bow and quiver of arrows...

P.S. I know what they meant, but that's not what they said. Able's copied it straight from Delta's site.

hoffmang
10-25-2010, 12:22 AM
You are not allowed to use TSA locks on a firearm. If an airline policy says that it violates federal law/regulations.

-Gene

MP301
10-25-2010, 12:24 AM
"What are the rules for airline travel with firearms?"

This question comes up a lot. I stumbled over this summary of the rules for virtually all the major U.S. air carriers on the Able's website. Hope you find it as useful as I did.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/airline-regulations.php

This is by far the best I have seen on flying with firearms. His websire also has a breakdown and rating summary for each airline.

mGjddG5Owsc

CHS
10-25-2010, 4:45 PM
This is by far the best I have seen on flying with firearms. His websire also has a breakdown and rating summary for each airline.

He's a friend of mine and a good drinking buddy too! :)

bulgron
10-25-2010, 5:14 PM
Apparently Delta will only accept pistols if they have telescopes and suppressors on them... Also, you can bring rifles and shotguns if they are packaged as a bow and quiver of arrows...

P.S. I know what they meant, but that's not what they said. Able's copied it straight from Delta's site.

I flew to Minneapolis on Delta last summer, and I had my Kimber Ultra II with me. I just followed the normal check-in procedures for flying with a firearm and all was well.

The only thing that threw me was having to stand around waiting to see if TSA wanted to look inside the pistol case. They never did, so it was ten minutes each way of cooling my heels to no purpose.