PDA

View Full Version : The Presidents of the United States and guns.

Anchors
10-24-2010, 3:38 PM
I was reading about the Secret Service and it got me thinking.

Have any of the more recent presidents carried guns?
Is the president legally allowed to CCW in D.C. or anywhere else?
The president is the highest ranking military official in the country, is he allowed to have a G.I. M16A4 at the White House if he wants it?
Is the president somehow exempt federal firearm/carry/BATFE regulations?

Now I realize this is a very unpractical questions, because no one would ever call the president on it. But just wondering.

(Please no comments on President Obama not doing any of these things. He's not into guns, I get it.)

Rossi357
10-24-2010, 3:43 PM

The president is the highest ranking military official in the country, is he allowed to have a G.I. M16A4 at the White House if he wants it?

Now I realize this is a very unpractical questions, because no one would ever call the president on it. But just wondering.

(Please no comments on President Obama not doing any of these things. He's not into guns, I get it.)

As he is Commander in Chief of all the armed forces 24/7, he can prolly carry anything he wants.

Window_Seat
10-24-2010, 3:56 PM
As he is Commander in Chief of all the armed forces 24/7, he can prolly carry anything he wants.

This, and I imagine this would be something where "how can you just say no" would apply.:o My kind of Pres would have a target range in the front yard with public access, free rentals and routine challenges between the public, SS and the Pres'. Since that will never happen, we can dream... DREAMs WE CAN BELIEVE IN. :rolleyes:

Erik.

russ69
10-24-2010, 4:03 PM
As the Commander in Chief, yes he can have anything he wants but on the other hand he has no need, there are 2 dozen guys within a few seconds and they all have guns, lots of guns.

Thanx, Russ

russ69
10-24-2010, 4:05 PM
This, and I imagine this would be something where "how can you just say no" would apply.:o My kind of Pres would have a target range in the front yard with public access, free rentals and routine challenges between the public, SS and the Pres'. Since that will never happen, we can dream... DREAMs WE CAN BELIEVE IN. :rolleyes:

Erik.

Obama just ripped out the White House bowling alley. That would have been a firing range conversion if I was Pres, just saying.

Thanx, Russ

Brianguy
10-24-2010, 4:08 PM
Obama just ripped out the White House bowling alley. That would have been a firing range conversion if I was Pres, just saying.

Thanx, Russ

there was a bowling alley?! i'm sure our tax dollars funded it:rolleyes:

sfwdiy
10-24-2010, 4:12 PM

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/nixon-bowling.jpg

--B

otteray
10-24-2010, 4:14 PM
I heard he had a pistol cigarette lighter for his smelly menthol cigarettes...cough hack hack! You know, where you pull the trigger and flame comes out the barrel?
That's all he needs.

http://www.epathchina.com/images/products/home-appliances/lighter/epc-hoa-013-1-m.jpg

Josh3239
10-24-2010, 4:22 PM
Teddy Roosevelt carried a handgun on him at all times.

Andy Taylor
10-24-2010, 4:23 PM
He/she can have/carry whatever he/she wants.

I would have removed the bowling alley too. That space could be put to far better use as a pistol range.

jtmkinsd
10-24-2010, 4:23 PM
HMMmmmmm...not LE...wish the prez lived in CA and wanted to buy a non-roster handgun so I could tell him he couldn't have it. :43:

On a different note...I wonder if there is a Presidential ID card? For the HSC and Safe Handling exemptions of course...lol

Turo
10-24-2010, 4:26 PM
I'm sure the pres can carry any gun he wants. I know if it were me, I'd carry a silenced Glock 18 just for the crap your pants factor.

oni.dori
10-24-2010, 4:27 PM

That's because ol' Teddy was a man's man, and a president's president. He didn't need a secret service, because he was a walking one. One of the last great presidents IMHO.

jtmkinsd
10-24-2010, 4:34 PM
Would have loved to see G.W.B. pull a Desert Eagle and smoke the guy that threw the shoe at him :17:

neal0124
10-24-2010, 4:42 PM

Thanx, Russ

I think there is already a pistol range beneath the white house for the secret service to practice at. It was on a show either on the discovery channel or the history channel.

odysseus
10-24-2010, 4:44 PM
Would have loved to see G.W.B. pull a Desert Eagle and smoke the guy that threw the shoe at him :17:

No, it would have been a 1911. :D

dfletcher
10-24-2010, 4:48 PM
FDR slept with a pistol - probably thought the well off were eventually going to attempt a coup. Kenny O'Donnell was a friend of & worked with President Kennedy, he habitually carried a Colt revolver while with the President to include having it with him in Dallas and I'd presume on AF One and the White House. My Pop worked in BoB at the time and we were about the same age as his kids, got to know them a bit. Probably something that would be frowned upon now.

Librarian
10-24-2010, 4:49 PM
That's because ol' Teddy was a man's man, and a president's president. He didn't need a secret service, because he was a walking one. One of the last great presidents IMHO.
Also because of how he became president via the kind ministrations of Leon Frank Czolgosz to McKinley.

Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin's wife, carried a .38 given to her by the Secret Service.

socalblue
10-24-2010, 4:56 PM
I think there is already a pistol range beneath the white house for the secret service to practice at. It was on a show either on the discovery channel or the history channel.

No, but there is one very close by & reachable via the tunnels. :TFH:

blakdawg
10-24-2010, 4:59 PM
I don't think it would make any sense for presidents to carry, and the practical side of it would probably be very difficult. I bet they don't carry a wallet or cash or ID/credit cards, either.

I do think, if we had a president who enjoyed shooting, that they could probably get access to some pretty cool weapons and fun places to shoot them. On the other hand, the current internal and external political climate is such that it's probably not a good idea for an interest in shooting to show up in the media.

Does anyone know if Bush II or Clinton was known for enjoying shooting? (I don't at all think of Clinton as a friend to gun owners, but as a southerner I'm sure he's had at least some exposure to recreational shooting, whereas Obama probably didn't get a lot of exposure to positive gun use in HI or IL.)

dfletcher
10-24-2010, 5:03 PM
Also because of how he became president via the kind ministrations of Leon Frank Czolgosz to McKinley.

Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin's wife, carried a .38 given to her by the Secret Service.

She was evidently a good pistol shot, I think a NY State Trooper friend routinely helped her practice. Probably after she was no longer 1st Lady but I recall she and a friend visited Kentucky against the wishes of the Klan and did so with a pistol on the front seat of their car.

jtmkinsd
10-24-2010, 5:13 PM
I don't think it would make any sense for presidents to carry, and the practical side of it would probably be very difficult. I bet they don't carry a wallet or cash or ID/credit cards, either.

I do think, if we had a president who enjoyed shooting, that they could probably get access to some pretty cool weapons and fun places to shoot them. On the other hand, the current internal and external political climate is such that it's probably not a good idea for an interest in shooting to show up in the media.

Does anyone know if Bush II or Clinton was known for enjoying shooting? (I don't at all think of Clinton as a friend to gun owners, but as a southerner I'm sure he's had at least some exposure to recreational shooting, whereas Obama probably didn't get a lot of exposure to positive gun use in HI or IL.)

I have a coffee mug with Dick Cheny's picture on it..."Dead Eye Dick" is the caption with a bunch of bullet holes around it...lol

Politicians and guns don't normally mix too well with the vile media coverage they get.

And then there's those rare moments when it is TRULY a hilarious moment in politics...think Michael Dukakis :80:

russ69
10-24-2010, 6:07 PM

Bill Clinton shot ducks on the eastern shore of Maryland with a borrowed shotgun. Guns ARE about duck hunting for the Clintons.

Thanx, Russ

Vtec44
10-24-2010, 6:16 PM
Why carry a pistol when you can carry that red button that will nuke everything to hell? :D

HowardW56
10-24-2010, 6:17 PM
Why carry a pistol when you can carry that red button that will nuke everything to hell? :D

Better to punch holes than to end life as we know it...

Anchors
10-24-2010, 6:20 PM

Lol. The "biscuit" which is contained inside the "nuclear football" with all the presidential launch codes and authorization procedures.
The one that Clinton apparently lost for several months once until it was renewed.

If I were president I would still CCW simple because if the Secret Service all got taken out no one would expect the president to have a gun himself. :TFH:

Haha I can see the movie now, "Presidential Action". Consider yourself impeached. Summer 2011.

GWbiker
10-24-2010, 6:46 PM
Both Harry S Truman and JFK were NRA members. Don't know if they carried handguns.

lioneaglegriffin
10-24-2010, 6:47 PM
like the movie air force one?

nukechaser
10-24-2010, 7:07 PM

It was TR who started (what is now called) the CMP. My kind of President!:clap:

yellowfin
10-24-2010, 7:10 PM
Hmm, let's see, what would be a fairly distinctive sidearm to carry that you could if POTUS? Wildey? HK P7M10? .41 mag Python (there were a few)? G18?

Uxi
10-24-2010, 7:59 PM
Open carry a tricked out 1911 longslide with an external compensator, RMR sight, on a paddle holster. The grips would be custom and have the Presidential Seal on it. :D

HogKiller
10-24-2010, 8:10 PM

They're not cheap either, 75-100k /lane. Our tax dollars at work and he rips it out? Idiot

SJgunguy24
10-24-2010, 8:26 PM
HMMmmmmm...not LE...wish the prez lived in CA and wanted to buy a non-roster handgun so I could tell him he couldn't have it. :43:

On a different note...I wonder if there is a Presidential ID card? For the HSC and Safe Handling exemptions of course...lol

I worked at a shop in the central valley and we had a fighter pilot who needed to run home for something before we could give him his AR lower. His duty orders or something like that.
That's the "common sense" gun laws these A holes want, a fricken fighter pilot, who has the keys to a 23 millon dollar supersonic fighter jet and is authorized to shoot down a commercial aircraft if it presents a threat to national security, was unable to get a 100$ chunk of aluminum do to common sense gun laws. I'm sorry Mr President, the DOJ will have my arse if you don't have a secondary form of ID with your address on it. Sorry sir, I don't write the laws only follow them.......

They're not cheap either, 75-100k /lane. Our tax dollars at work and he rips it out? Idiot

He's gutting the costitution and the will of the people why should a couple of bowling lanes stand in the way of hope and change?

Anchors
10-24-2010, 9:50 PM
...a fricken fighter pilot, who has the keys to a 23 millon dollar supersonic fighter jet and is authorized to shoot down a commercial aircraft if it presents a threat to national security, was unable to get a 100$ chunk of aluminum do to common sense gun laws.

Hahaha. Loved this part.

In my (very imaginative) brain I pictured him with the jet parked out front and him running out and hitting a button on the keychain to pop the hatch so he could get the station orders out of the glove box.

I laughed for a while.

N6ATF
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Sigh. So many politicians are simply unconvicted felons.

Though, if I were president, I'd open carry. MP5SD-N (converted to .22LR on my own dime to save taxpayer money) abroad, H&K USP-F .45 at home.

HA! Open carry threadjack!

bandook
10-24-2010, 11:01 PM

Thanx, Russ

He's gutting the costitution and the will of the people why should a couple of bowling lanes stand in the way of hope and change?

Where are you people getting this news from? Seems like the White House still has the Bowling Alley (btw it is one lane). It was put in by Nixon.
http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor0/bowling-alley.htm

Mark M
10-24-2010, 11:33 PM
i'm wondering if he has access to jet packs and lasers.

dantodd
10-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Where are you people getting this news from? Seems like the White House still has the Bowling Alley (btw it is one lane). It was put in by Nixon.

It was one of the things he suggested he might do on the campaign trail. Remove the bowling alley and replace it with a basketball court.

Canute
10-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Looks like they need a hardware upgrade. That console looks like it's out of 1985.
**** it, let's go bowling!

jshoebot
10-25-2010, 12:01 AM

He may have always been armed, but he was also a progressive. Can't stand progressives. But at least he liked guns! Wish we had a president nowadays that cared about guns as much as ol' Teddy.

AVS
10-25-2010, 3:03 AM
While it's neat to imagine the President carrying all of these exotic sidearms, the most presidential thing to do would be for him or her to simply carry one of the sidearms used by our armed forces.

"If it's good enough for our serving men and women, then it's good enough for me."

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-25-2010, 5:36 AM
He may have always been armed, but he was also a progressive. Can't stand progressives. But at least he liked guns! Wish we had a president nowadays that cared about guns as much as ol' Teddy.

What's wrong with TR being a progressive?

putput
10-25-2010, 6:51 AM
The president doesn't need to pack a pistol. He open carries a nuclear arsenal everywhere he goes...

Andy Taylor
10-25-2010, 7:19 AM
While it's neat to imagine the President carrying all of these exotic sidearms, the most presidential thing to do would be for him or her to simply carry one of the sidearms used by our armed forces.

"If it's good enough for our serving men and women, then it's good enough for me."

Colt SAA.

You didn't say it had to be currently used by our military.

That would give the President something in common with General Patton.

lairdb
10-25-2010, 7:35 AM
On a humorous tangent ('cause this thread doesn't have enough wild speculation and zanyness....)

What is the procedure for a protectee to go to a place where there are people with hot firearms? When Cheney goes shooting with his buddies, I suppose it's fairly easy to preclear them individually -- but what if he wanted to go to the skeet range? What if POTUS (presumably not the current one) wanted to go to a USPSA match?

Is that the point where the detail head says "absolutely positively not, Mr. President", or...?

Alexthewelder
10-25-2010, 7:54 AM

Hmmmmmmm ok..... So who put it in inthe first place?

kcbrown
10-25-2010, 7:59 AM
As the Commander in Chief, yes he can have anything he wants but on the other hand he has no need, there are 2 dozen guys within a few seconds and they all have guns, lots of guns.

Doesn't mean he doesn't need to be CCWing.

CCW: because when milliseconds count, the Secret Service are seconds away. :D

Arondos
10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
On a humorous tangent ('cause this thread doesn't have enough wild speculation and zanyness....)

What is the procedure for a protectee to go to a place where there are people with hot firearms? When Cheney goes shooting with his buddies, I suppose it's fairly easy to preclear them individually -- but what if he wanted to go to the skeet range? What if POTUS (presumably not the current one) wanted to go to a USPSA match?

Is that the point where the detail head says "absolutely positively not, Mr. President", or...?

And then he would get told. The last time I checked I was in charge and I say we are going. :)

bandook
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
It was one of the things he suggested he might do on the campaign trail. Remove the bowling alley and replace it with a basketball court.

:) Yet another Campaign Promise???:D

creekside
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Principals attend major sporting events, football games, etc. This is what VIP, luxury and/or box seating is for. Typically three or more locations are swept, secured and reserved and one picked at the last moment.

A small venue can be emptied for the VIP's exclusive use. Or, everyone attending has to be specially screened. Or, a special demo is set up before or after the main event for the benefit of the VIP, who cannot attend the full event due to time and/or security concerns.

During one shoot house exercise in hostage rescue, the POTUS was behind multiple layers of bullet-resistant laminate accompanied by two Secret Service agents. (This may have been Delta Force and the elder Bush, but I don't have the book in which this anecdote was published in front of me.) I have heard on some military bases that everyone around is disarmed (either all ammo confiscated, or firing pins collected, or both.)

Secret Service is very picky whom they allow to be armed within long handgun range of their principal. Police are briefed on who is and who is not allowed within certain distances. Authorized persons are specially designated. The Secret Service is prepared to lay down a ridiculous amount of suppressive fire (think vehicle-mounted chain guns (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/4221601)), just as the military would to protect any other nuclear weapon.

Special operations folks have a joke to the effect of "Have a plan to kill everyone you ever meet." Secret Service protection detail isn't joking.

Everyone who posted on this thread (including me), welcome to the US Secret Service watch list. :)

russ69
10-25-2010, 2:18 PM

The New York Times, maybe?

"Barack Obama already has White House remodeling plans: the bowling alley is gone
April 26, 2008 | 8:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS -- He hasn't yet won the Democratic nomination for president, let alone the November general election. But already Illinois Sen. Barack Obama says he has some renovation plans for the White House.

"I have sworn that we're taking out the bowling alley in the White House and we're putting in a basketball court," he said, according to a pool press report of his visit this afternoon to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in New Castle, Ind., today."

Boulderlaw
10-26-2010, 8:41 AM
Somewhat related:

"Susana Martinez is the Republican nominee for Governor in the state of New Mexico. Polls currently show her in the lead over Lt. Gov. Diane Denish. When CNN was wiring her up for an interview they got a bit of a surprise."

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-kind-of-female-politician.html

paradox
10-26-2010, 9:05 AM
FDR slept with a pistol - probably thought the well off were eventually going to attempt a coup.

They did. Fortunately they chose the most principled Marine in history to lead their coup. Unfortunately, they got off scott free due to "Too Big To Fail" status :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

WWDHD?
10-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I would imagine that the last thing the Secret Service wants is some untrained yahoo that they are trying to protect having a gun. Particularly the yahoo we have now.
Didn't Nancy Reagan either cary a gun or maybe keep one in a drawer near her bed (wow, just like most of us!) that made the SS very nervous? I thought I read about that at some point or other.
Of course BO ripped out the White House bowling alley. Doesn't anyone remember during the '08 campane when he bowled a few frames and looked ridiculous. Even he commented on it and got in trouble for his dumb joke. I'm not sure what looks worse, BO bowling or him throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game.

dieselpower
10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
considering he has a case that can launch nuclear missiles at any country he wants....yeah he can also carry an M4A1 if he so chooses.

yellowfin
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure what looks worse, BO bowling or him throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game.Worst looking of all is BO in the White House.

wecf
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
lol if Obama touched a gun he would melt into a puddle of green puss. (think wicked witch of the west... I'M MELTING!!!!!!!!! )

dfletcher
10-26-2010, 1:51 PM
Hmmmmmmm ok..... So who put it in inthe first place?

Pretty sure Nixon put in the bowling alley - used it to cover up the pool used by President Kennedy.

HowardW56
10-26-2010, 1:57 PM
Pretty sure Nixon put in the bowling alley - used it to cover up the pool used by President Kennedy.

Thats what I remember....

Mssr. Eleganté
10-26-2010, 3:36 PM
Remember, President Nixon had the bowling lane installed in 1969, the last year we ran a real Federal budget surplus. ;)

Back on topic...

We all know that in the year 2505 President Camacho openly carries a firearm...

http://www.type03.net/novelty-pics/president-camacho.jpg

Fate
10-26-2010, 4:40 PM
http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/images/artist/p/presidents_ofthe_united_states/az_official/281x211.jpg

Those guys are packing?? They've got "finger guns" blazin!!

Oh...I thought you were talking about the band... http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/presidents_of_the_united_states_of_america/artist.jhtml

Zin_dawg
10-26-2010, 9:07 PM

Back when Pat Buchanan was running for President, he insisted on going to a gun show in Arizona (Yep, a state with open carry, and easily obtainable CCW). The Secret Service was _unhappy_. The head of the SS detail did the only thing he could: do everything by the book: The order was to remove all signs or placards that were on hand held poles or sticks (that's their rules for protests). :chris:It was pointless, but it was what the rules called for.

If the POTUS want to do something, the Secret Service always gets the last word(s): "Yes, Sir".:43:

N6ATF
10-26-2010, 9:27 PM
Huh? So Buchanan couldn't be beaten with signs?

Anchors
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
They did. Fortunately they chose the most principled Marine in history to lead their coup. Unfortunately, they got off scott free due to "Too Big To Fail" status :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Just to elaborate, he's talking about Smedley Butler (the most decorated Marine of all time). He earned TWO Medals of Honor (and a bunch of other stuff).

And that story is actually really interesting and probably not just a tin foil hat theory. Pretty crazy.

Okay, what the hell...
:TFH:

DannyInSoCal
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I imagine Obama carrying only a key chain version of pepper spray -

And then accidentally spraying himself when attacked...

dantodd
10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
lol if Obama touched a gun he would melt into a puddle of green puss. (think wicked witch of the west... I'M MELTING!!!!!!!!! )

Probably the day's best typo.

masameet
10-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Fun topic!

Yup, Clinton was (and might still be) a gun owner. As a child he owned a .22 rifle and shot cans off of wooden fences. As an adult, he has owned shotguns and handguns. Went duck hunting while Governor of Arkansas and POTUS. (Source (http://books.google.com/books?id=1dLGaeRX6f8C&pg=PA648&lpg=PA648&dq=us+presidents+shotguns&source=bl&ots=YGhLYV4ykw&sig=ncMrFFISa5hnuwDUDBEHppgvAmk&hl=en&ei=0drHTKX5M5GksQOzjLnTDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CEQQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false))

Before becoming POTUS, Andrew Jackson was noted for dueling with pistols. One opponent shot him in the chest, with the bullet lodging about 2 inches from his heart. After taking the shot Jackson held his stance, took aim and shot the other man dead. The bullet could not be removed and he died with it still in his chest. "Old Hickory" was also the first POTUS to face an assassin: His assailant, with a pistol in each hand, fired at close range. But the flintlocks misfired, whereupon Jackson brought up his walking cane and beat the man senseless. (Source (http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/newsandevents/pressroom/news.php?ID=363))

Other POTUSes who enjoyed shooting: Grover Cleveland (loved quail and duck hunting), George Washington and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

And the thing about Easterner Teddy Roosevelt -- he was a sickly child who, as he reached adulthood, worried that he was not manly enough. So he endeavored to toughen himself up by doing manly things like shooting, riding horses, and "roughing" it in the West. Because his family was wealthy, he could also indulge in firearms and become a big game hunter. But a marksman he wasn't. Cribbed from the Sportsman Channel link following Andrew Jackson:
According to some accounts, Teddy wasn’t known as an expert marksman. His great-grandson, Tweed Roosevelt, has been quoted saying that when asked about
his marksmanship his great-grandfather would reply: “I don’t shoot well, but I shoot often.” But Roosevelt can be credited with realizing his shortcomings and
creating something good out of it. When he saw the lack of marksmanship exhibited by most army recruits, he went after westerners for his Rough Riders, theorizing they already know how to shoot. His conviction that everyone should have and retain marksmanship skills led to the creation of the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

chuckdc
10-27-2010, 1:04 AM

Clinton claimed to have been a hunter, but no hunting license for him from Arkansas has been found. Licenses are only required for those 16 and older, so he might have gone as an under-16 kid and not ever have had one there.

Bush (43) is well known (at least in TX) to be a fairly avid quail and dove hunter. Back when he was running for Governor of TX, he (probably purposely) shot a killdeer during a dove hunt. I have heard people state that he did it on purpose just to yank the chains of some reporters that were being obnoxious. Note: Beretta made him a VERY special O/U shotgun (SO10) that was presented to him after he was out of office so that the rules about gifts don't apply. The engraving alone on that firearm is worth close to $100K. The gun took a year to make. It has "43", a Lone Star, and pictures of the Bush family Springer Spaniels engraved on it, among other things.

Bush (41) was/is (don't know if he still goes out) a quail hunter as well.

AVS
10-27-2010, 3:13 AM
Colt SAA.

You didn't say it had to be currently used by our military.

That would give the President something in common with General Patton.

Sounds good to me. :)

savs2k
10-27-2010, 3:47 AM
the president can do anything he wants and none of us can say anything. if he wanted to ccw a tank they would some how do that bullspit

SanPedroShooter
10-27-2010, 6:13 AM
Who was the last president to be an NRA member? I think it was Kennedy.

chuckdc
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Who was the last president to be an NRA member? I think it was Kennedy.

Reagan was. GHW Bush was a life member, but "resigned" it over the "Jackbooted Thugs" remark. I think GW Bush was/is.

mdimeo
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanx, Russ

A few years ago, there was an altercation in I think Chile, where a member of President Bush's security detail was grabbed by chilean authorities, and Bush was wading in to help pull him back. He was actually separated from his detail by Chilean security guys. Sometimes, even the president is on his own, and it could happen at a moment's notice.

Anchors
10-27-2010, 4:16 PM
A few years ago, there was an altercation in I think Chile, where a member of President Bush's security detail was grabbed by chilean authorities, and Bush was wading in to help pull him back. He was actually separated from his detail by Chilean security guys. Sometimes, even the president is on his own, and it could happen at a moment's notice.

That was ultimately my point.
The Secret Service does a great job, but all it takes is a one second lapse.
If I was the president I would definitely CCW everywhere. Even after retirement.

SanPedroShooter
10-27-2010, 4:24 PM
Reagan was. GHW Bush was a life member, but "resigned" it over the "Jackbooted Thugs" remark. I think GW Bush was/is.

I was thinking more like a member while in office. So just about every republican president since kennedy (a dem)...

WWDHD?
10-27-2010, 4:41 PM
Maybe in some weird parallel universe President Ted Nugentt open carries (10mm pistol, crossbow?) in public and it looks believable but I can't see any recent president (or any possible future contender) pulling it off and looking credible.
The more I think about it its probably for the better that POTUS doesn't open carry. He (or she) looks stronger just surrounded by the best security in the world. He might actually look weaker OCing to the rest of the world. Or look like some 3rd world banana republic dictator. The only leaders that I can think of recently who OC were Sadam and maybe Kadafi in Libiya. CC would be another story but then we would'nt know about it then would we.
Didn't Lincoln target shoot on the front lawn of the White House? Thought I read that once. Something about testing new rifles for the Union Army or something. Now that would be cool.

Anchors
10-27-2010, 8:43 PM
Maybe in some weird parallel universe President Ted Nugentt open carries (10mm pistol, crossbow?) in public and it looks believable but I can't see any recent president (or any possible future contender) pulling it off and looking credible.
The more I think about it its probably for the better that POTUS doesn't open carry. He (or she) looks stronger just surrounded by the best security in the world. He might actually look weaker OCing to the rest of the world. Or look like some 3rd world banana republic dictator. The only leaders that I can think of recently who OC were Sadam and maybe Kadafi in Libiya. CC would be another story but then we would'nt know about it then would we.
Didn't Lincoln target shoot on the front lawn of the White House? Thought I read that once. Something about testing new rifles for the Union Army or something. Now that would be cool.

We were talking about CCW.

Haha that would be awesome if Lincoln did do that.

WWDHD?
10-27-2010, 9:20 PM
Ok, I'll take a guess as to what our current POTUS would CCW.

How about a Starfleet Phaser permanently set on "stun".

WWDHD?
10-27-2010, 9:21 PM

morfeeis
10-27-2010, 9:36 PM

screw a pistol, he carries the "football" withhim everywhere he goes.

N6ATF
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Hey, if stun worked perfectly 100% of the time, I'd use it. Just as I'd use ShockRounds if they'd ever get past the pre-prototype stage.

tenpercentfirearms
10-28-2010, 5:00 AM
If I were president I would pack. I wouldn't get too crazy. Probably my usual pocket .380 or if I could have my shirt untucked my Glock 27. The first Secret Service guy that recommended I didn't would be fired. There are plenty of fine men and women that would take his/her spot and then no one else would question me on personal carry.

And hells yeah I would also play with the rest of the arsenal. Heck, I might even take the time to train with my Secret Service team.

Then again, I would probably spend my first month in office doing nothing but reading. Reading all of the secret files that no one ever gets to read.

vincewarde
10-28-2010, 3:24 PM
..... used to target shoot with his protective detail. Don't know if he carried.

xXBigJoeXx
10-29-2010, 9:40 AM
I personally think that all Presidents should CCW as the last line of defense. Even though the Secret Service Does an EXCELLENT job protecting POTUS as I have seen with my own eyes. In 2007 I had the chance to personally meet and greet with President Bush regarding the national housing crisis in New Jersey of all places. It was an AWESOME experience to meet a United States President and even more so to see first hand all of the security procedures and precautions put into place. Hundreds if not THOUSANDS of LAW enforcement from every single agency in the state were there. Sharp Shooters on top of the water tower, clean sweeps, back ground checks and security clearances. I mean everything! He flew in on Marine 1 in a three helicopter formation. It was crazy cool! Still with all that I would be CCW'ing if I were the Prez lol!