PDA

View Full Version : question on out of state hi-cap mag purchase

videy
10-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi There.

apologies this is probably a FAQ, but I'm not able to find an answer through searching.

I'm going to visit some buddies out of state. While out of state we plan to go shooting. My understanding is that it is perfectly legal for me to purchase and use high capacity (> 10 rounds) magazines while I am out of state (high capacity magazines legal in the state I will be visiting).

My question is in regards to after my trip. Is it legal for me to disassemble the high-cap magazines and bring them back into california as "parts"? Upon my return to California I will take whatever action is needed to re-assemble said parts into compliant 10 round magazines (rivets, blocks, etc).

thanks for your advice.

vintagearms
10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
yes

BKinzey
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes, that would be legal.

packnrat
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
rebuild parts are just parts.
just do not assemble any mags while in CA.

Exile Machine
10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
parts is parts

Falstaff
10-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Don't tell the gun store FUD dispenser you're from CA. California gun store employees are generally ignorant of CA gun laws, out of state gun stores are woefully, completely ignorant of CA law. I was in Austin TX recently and the gun store there wouldnt even sell me ammo because I was from CA...

The big TX gun store i went to was the one where Rick Perry supposedly shops, they told me it would be a federal felony for them to sell me a magazine!!

OleCuss
10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
rebuild parts are just parts.
just do not assemble any 10+ round mags while in CA.

Fixored to fit your intent.

oni.dori
10-24-2010, 4:41 PM
Ok, now I'm confused. I was just reading on another thread in this section that it was perfectly legal to have an assembled 10+ round magazine here in CA, as long as it was not sold to said individual in the state and/or they did not bring it across the state line in to CA assembled. So, if that's true, why couldn't said person assemble it once in CA?

eldonvieira
10-24-2010, 4:46 PM
because then you are manufacturing a high capacity magazine

Librarian
10-24-2010, 5:03 PM
Ok, now I'm confused. I was just reading on another thread in this section that it was perfectly legal to have an assembled 10+ round magazine here in CA, as long as it was not sold to said individual in the state and/or they did not bring it across the state line in to CA assembled. So, if that's true, why couldn't said person assemble it once in CA?

because then you are manufacturing a high capacity magazine

Right. Parts are just parts, but manufacturing a new large-capacity magazine in CA from those parts is illegal.

the_quark
10-24-2010, 6:17 PM

Because, the act of assembling it is a crime. Once you've done that, possessing the assembled magazine isn't a crime (but, you're keeping around evidence of your prior crime).

Similarly if you didn't disassemble it before you brought it in - importing it is a crime. Having it here after you've illegally imported it isn't a separate crime.

dantodd
10-24-2010, 9:02 PM
Fixored to fit your intent.

I think you meant 11+ or >10 as 10 rd. mags are perfectly legal.

oni.dori
10-24-2010, 9:14 PM
Because, the act of assembling it is a crime. Once you've done that, possessing the assembled magazine isn't a crime (but, you're keeping around evidence of your prior crime).

Similarly if you didn't disassemble it before you brought it in - importing it is a crime. Having it here after you've illegally imported it isn't a separate crime.

Aha!! I understand now. The technicalities in that law were confusing me. Thanks for the clarification.

oni.dori
10-24-2010, 9:16 PM
I think you meant 11+ or >10 as 10 rd. mags are perfectly legal.

Yes, I did mean that. That is why I put the plus after the 10, as in saying more than, or adding to 10 (AKA "over").

LazyBoy
10-25-2010, 12:28 AM
If you have hi cap pre-ban mags couldn't you use a mag parts kits to rebuild a damaged mag? When I say pre-ban I mean purchased before 1994.

Librarian
10-25-2010, 9:30 AM
If you have hi cap pre-ban mags couldn't you use a mag parts kits to rebuild a damaged mag? When I say pre-ban I mean purchased before 1994.

Yes.

Just don't end with more large-capacity magazines than you started with.

Seems to me that's what parts kits are for.

Nor-Cal
10-25-2010, 4:35 PM
Parts are parts use them to legally rebuild your pre ban mags like everybody else says just don't end up with more high cap mags than what you had!

Sniper3142
10-25-2010, 5:30 PM
If you have hi cap pre-ban mags couldn't you use a mag parts kits to rebuild a damaged mag? When I say pre-ban I mean purchased before 2000.

Fixed it for you.

BTW, the Federal ban only affected manufacturing of New Magazines that held more than 10 rounds. It did not ban or restrict the sale of any magazine that already existed in the U.S. (and there were millions of AK and AR magazines already here). Newly made magazines were marked "For LEO/Mil Use Only" or some other nonsense. All that stupidity ended when the Federal Ban sunset.

Kyle1886
10-27-2010, 1:34 PM
Purchasing an off roster handgun from a LEO is legal, I believe: can I assume that purchasing a magazine greater than ten rounds is also legal? Purchased with pistol? Mag purchase without firearm?

Respectfully-Kyle

dantodd
10-27-2010, 1:38 PM
Purchasing an off roster handgun from a LEO is legal, I believe: can I assume that purchasing a magazine greater than ten rounds is also legal? Purchased with pistol? Mag purchase without firearm?

Respectfully-Kyle

No you may not purchase a large-capacity magazine from a LEO.

stix213
10-27-2010, 1:42 PM

Respectfully-Kyle

Transfer of a high cap mag is a crime within CA. If you purchased a handgun with a high cap mag within CA after the ban, even from a LEO, the seller committed a felony and you can probably be charged with some kind of conspiracy crime for your part.

oni.dori
10-27-2010, 1:46 PM

Respectfully-Kyle

Yes, from what I was explained from an FFL is that you can privately purchase an off-the-list pistol (which usually comes from a current/former LEO officer wanting to sell a pistol that they possess that they no longer want). From what it was explained to me, it is not illegal to OWN/POSSESS one of those pistols, it is illegal to sell them new. Just like, you can buy a Desert Eagle in .44 mag, then purchase the conversion kit to make it .50AE. Because it is not illegal to possess one in .50AE, but it is illegal to SELL one in .50AE (since it isn't on the list). In addition to that, private sales are exempt from the 1 pistol per 30 days law in CA. So, you could buy as many pistols per month as you want, as long is it a private person to person sale, and not a brand new pistol purchased from a dealer (both types must go through an FFL though).

Kyle1886
10-27-2010, 2:42 PM
...so the majority of you say it's okay to purchase the gun, but not the "hi-cap" magazine that goes with said gun even if it is an original item with the gun. Sad!!!

Thank you

Librarian
10-27-2010, 2:53 PM
Transfer of a high cap mag is a crime within CA. If you purchased a handgun with a high cap mag within CA after the ban, even from a LEO, the seller committed a felony .
Maybe. Violating 12020(a) is a 'wobbler' - either a misdemeanor or a felony. Not that a year in county jail would be any fun...

truthseeker
10-27-2010, 5:11 PM
...so the majority of you say it's okay to purchase the gun, but not the "hi-cap" magazine that goes with said gun even if it is an original item with the gun. Sad!!!

Thank you

Only if the mag is assembled, if the mag is dis-assembled (to be used for parts or made into a 10 round mag) then it is OK, CORRECT!?