PDA

View Full Version : WashPo: majority of traced crime guns originate from a small % of FFLs

trashman
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
It's mostly a P.R. problem (and the study is for the DC area), but my question is this: as RKBA advocates, are there any (pro-active) changes in how FFL's are regulated that we could we advocate to counteract the problem?

I can't think of any off the top of my head (that I would be comfortable with).

--Neill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/23/AR2010102302994.html?hpid=topnews

The Post investigation found that a small percentage of gun stores sells most of the weapons recovered by police in crimes - re-confirming the major finding of studies that came out before federal gun-tracing data were removed from public view by an act of Congress in 2003. For the most part, these sales are legal, but an unknown number involve persons who buy for those who cannot, including convicted felons such as Dixon, in a process known as a "straw purchase." Such sales are illegal for the buyer and the store, if it knowingly allows a straw purchase. But cases are hard to prove. Law enforcement officials rarely prosecute gun stores, deterred by high bureaucratic hurdles, political pressure and laws that make convictions difficult.

hoffmang
10-23-2010, 10:11 PM
This is mostly a statistical error. A very small percentage of FFLs sell the vast majority of firearms. The real number that should be looked at is a percentage of sales number but there are still a lot of issues since there is a power law involved.

-Gene

trashman
10-23-2010, 10:26 PM
This is mostly a statistical error. A very small percentage of FFLs sell the vast majority of firearms. The real number that should be looked at is a percentage of sales number but there are still a lot of issues since there is a power law involved.

Ah - of course. It'll be interesting to see if the Washington Post has those numbers -- if looks like they're gearing up for a multi-day series on this topic.

--Neill