PDA

View Full Version : AB962 letter writing

kdm
10-23-2010, 5:14 PM
Mods...as always, please move if in the wrong area.

OK. Not trying to say legal avenues will fail, but I guess we gotta make sure other avenues are open in case our efforts fall through.

How many among us have written letters to various ammo vendors to see their take on the C&R/COE exemption? I've e-mailed Midway a few times through the year, and their response has been "We're looking into it".
Would love to e-mail Natchez and yell at them, but their site doesn't seem to list an address. :mad: Read that J&G Sales will honor the exemption.

BTW, it'll be interesting: when we get 962 knocked down, vendors who previously said "NO!" to Kali business will suddenly say "Just kidding!" Kinda messed up.

hoffmang
10-23-2010, 5:16 PM
I would hold off until you read the next filing in OOIDA v. Lindley. AB-962 doesn't exactly mean what everyone thinks it means...

-Gene

383green
10-23-2010, 5:20 PM
I would hold off until you read the next filing in OOIDA v. Lindley. AB-962 doesn't exactly mean what everyone thinks it means...

Let me guess... the filing will be made in two weeks, right? :p

hoffmang
10-23-2010, 7:19 PM
Let me guess... the filing will be made in two weeks, right? :p

I promise. Less than TWO WEEKS!

-Gene

Peter.Steele
10-23-2010, 7:38 PM
Your "two weeks" here, that's not like when they talk about "last Thursday" on the 'chans, is it?

GUNNTZ
10-23-2010, 7:51 PM
Everyone is really concerned about this impending law. It cuts down our legal rights to purchase wherever and whenever we want. Some of the legal mumbo-jumbo in the law seems to open doors for future BS. I've read the law a couple of times, some areas still don't make sense to me, could you enlighten me on your interpretation? As I see it, all the restrictions we already have, this is just another step forward for them to strip us of gun ownership or make it unreasonable to own one. I for one e-mailed the crap out of the all of the jerks who passed this junk law. Everyone wants to see this sucker go away, so keep us posted on what's new.

oni.dori
10-24-2010, 5:47 PM
AB-962 doesn't exactly mean what everyone thinks it means...

-Gene

Could you please elaborate on this? From what I understood, in lamens terms, it meant that an individual could not purchase any ammunition that is considered a "pistol round" (including .22LR) in CA, unless it is purchased from a state-licensed dealer, and the purchaser filled out a form supplying information such as: name, address of residence, DOB, ID/DL #, finger pring, caliber/manufacturer/model of ammunition being purchased, and quantity of said ammunition purchased. In addition to that, it also barred the sale of almost (if not all) hand loading components of ammunition (since many components used for rifles could also be substituted for loading pistol ammunition).
Please clarify/correct me if I am wrong, and if you are able.

Peter.Steele
10-24-2010, 7:19 PM
Could you please elaborate on this? From what I understood, in lamens terms, it meant that an individual could not purchase any ammunition that is considered a "pistol round" (including .22LR) in CA, unless it is purchased from a state-licensed dealer, and the purchaser filled out a form supplying information such as: name, address of residence, DOB, ID/DL #, finger pring, caliber/manufacturer/model of ammunition being purchased, and quantity of said ammunition purchased. In addition to that, it also barred the sale of almost (if not all) hand loading components of ammunition (since many components used for rifles could also be substituted for loading pistol ammunition).
Please clarify/correct me if I am wrong, and if you are able.

Well, on the face of it, that's how it looks. Sounds like Gene has something up his sleeve, though.

Now, one interesting thing that I got from reading the complaint, though: unless there's an injunction against AB962, after February, the ammunition that's inside California is it.

Based on what I've been able to see from reading, it appears that it's an effective prohibition against everyone who might possibly be a recipient of ammunition, except for an individual with a C&R and a COE.

I might be wrong, though.

383green
10-24-2010, 7:22 PM
Although AB962 certainly must be defeated, I don't think that it would prevent a CA resident from flying to NV or AZ, purchasing a modest amount of ammunition there, and then returning to CA with it in a fully-laden rented two-axle truck with a GVWR of no more than 26,000 pounds. :chris:

Edited to add: CA residents with class A or B commercial drivers licenses and current medical cards needn't be limited by the 2-axle/26k GVWR constraints, of course.

Paul S
10-24-2010, 9:13 PM
And folks wonder why I've stocked up on reloading supplies.
Most times it seems politicians are nothing more than a scourge of mankind. :mad:

CaliforniaLiberal
10-27-2010, 9:42 AM
And just to clarify for those seeking information here, you will still be able to buy handgun ammo in stores in California after 2- 2011. Just at the price of leaving your name, address, and fingerprint on record with the retailer.

NorCalDustin
10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
And just to clarify for those seeking information here, you will still be able to buy handgun ammo in stores in California after 2- 2011. Just at the price of leaving your name, address, and fingerprint on record with the retailer.

Yup

hammerhands32
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
If this doesn't get burned in time Cabelas in Reno is going see their profits boom

Wherryj
10-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Well, on the face of it, that's how it looks. Sounds like Gene has something up his sleeve, though.

Now, one interesting thing that I got from reading the complaint, though: unless there's an injunction against AB962, after February, the ammunition that's inside California is it.

Based on what I've been able to see from reading, it appears that it's an effective prohibition against everyone who might possibly be a recipient of ammunition, except for an individual with a C&R and a COE.

I find it interesting when a group of ne'er-do-wells (read "career politician who has never accomplished anything) attempt to write laws which will be interpreted by accomplished lawyers.

Reductio
10-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Gene ALWAYS has something up his sleeve, who are you kidding? :D:D:D

Kodemonkey
10-27-2010, 1:16 PM

Except they will most likely increase their prices. Walmart is already ramping up prices.

gregr266
10-27-2010, 2:03 PM
Where does it say it bans reloading components. I ve read the law and I don't see anything about powder / primers / etc.

oni.dori
10-27-2010, 8:35 PM

Ya, that is what I was thinking, it almost seems like since they know they can't outright BAN firearms (because of Heller and McDonald), they are doing everything they can to try and make them useless by drying up the ammunition market (or at least making it nearly infeasible to obtain it readily).

If this doesn't get burned in time Cabelas in Reno is going see their profits boom

Don't forget the Bass Pro Shop in Vegas.

Except they will most likely increase their prices. Walmart is already ramping up prices.

I haven't seen the Wal Mart near where I live increasing prices at all...yet.

Where does it say it bans reloading components. I ve read the law and I don't see anything about powder / primers / etc.

I was misinformed about that. It was corrected by someone on this forum in another thread. So, *THEORETICALLY* you should still be able to get reasonably priced bulk ammo here in CA; the catch is that you just need to assemble it yourself. :rolleyes: