PDA

View Full Version : When did California pass the handgun registration law?

Droc101
10-23-2010, 1:38 PM
Just wondering when this was made into a law. Can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Gray Peterson
10-23-2010, 2:05 PM
There is no general requirement to register handguns in California. I believe for many decades, all sales through dealers had their own forms for the state. It wasn't until the early 1990's that all handgun sales, even private ones, all went through the FTF system and added into the AFIS system. Certain transactions, such as operation of law (wife to husband and vice versa) and intrafamilial transfers do not require a visit to an FFL, but required a form to the DOJ. In the late 1990's (1998 specifically), importing a handgun into the state required a personal handgun importer form.

There are lots of folks here bought handguns privately before 1991 and requires no paper. VOLREG has been available I think for the last 20 years.

CSACANNONEER
10-23-2010, 2:11 PM
Gray nailed it! There is NO mandatory handgun registration in Ca!

Librarian
10-23-2010, 2:39 PM
See also the Wiki article on registration (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration), and the timeline (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws) article.

WTSGDYBBR
10-23-2010, 2:42 PM
This is why home build pistols are ok to not have to reg ?

CSACANNONEER
10-23-2010, 2:57 PM
This is why home build pistols are ok to not have to reg ?

No handgun (including homebuilds) are required to be registered until they are DROSed. Many of us have handguns purchased before '91 which are not registered, handguns which went through an intrafamilar transfer prior to requiring a form in Ca. and some of us have homebuilt handguns which are not registered.

NSR500
10-23-2010, 3:22 PM
How does it work if you have a "pre-registration" pistol and have an interaction with the law?

The wiki states that it could be used to enhance the penalty. The example given was that of a concealed pistol. If it is a registered pistol the charge is a misdemeanor. If it's unregistered the charge is a felony.

CSACANNONEER
10-23-2010, 4:18 PM
How does it work if you have a "pre-registration" pistol and have an interaction with the law?

The wiki states that it could be used to enhance the penalty. The example given was that of a concealed pistol. If it is a registered pistol the charge is a misdemeanor. If it's unregistered the charge is a felony.

That's about it. The problem is that there are many miseducated LEOS here who think that unregistered handguns are all illegal. So, it might take properly educating one if you happen to run into the wrong one. BTW, I built one in 2009 that is not registered. There really is no such thing as "pre-registration":D. There are just "registered" and "unregistered" handguns in CA.

Droc101
10-24-2010, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the info guys. that really helps.

Stonewalker
10-24-2010, 9:34 AM
Yes thank you very much, I've been wondering this myself for awhile. I only own one gun at this point (my dad gifted me his dad's Underwood 44' M1 Carbine!) so I'm 1/1 on keeping my guns off the books. I'd like to keep my name out of as many DBs as possible. Just a principles thing you know?