PDA

View Full Version : Lost my bookmarks - Firefox

biglou
10-23-2010, 9:24 AM
My bookmarks have gone away. I tried restore but still nothing. I added a bookmark to start over and now that's gone. It's not saving them. I'm not computer smart, as you can tell. Any help would be grateful.

BluNorthern
10-23-2010, 9:29 AM
Probably obvious but have you looked under your bookmarks tab and scrolled down to Organize bookmarks, bookmarks toolbar, and recently bookmarked? If you also have Microsoft Internet Explorer and have used it have you tried importing?

biglou
10-23-2010, 9:39 AM
I quit using Internet Explorer awhile ago. I tried the bookmark tabs and checked but there is nothing saved. I'm sure i'm missing something that I'm not checking.

i1800collect
10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
First try:
-Bookmarks menu
-Organize Bookmarks...
-Import and Backup
-Restore
-Select Yesterday

See if that restores your bookmarks.

If not, tell me what operating system you're using. Going to have to try digging for the bookmarkbackups file.

biglou
10-23-2010, 11:13 AM
First try:
-Bookmarks menu
-Organize Bookmarks...
-Import and Backup
-Restore
-Select Yesterday

See if that restores your bookmarks.

If not, tell me what operating system you're using. Going to have to try digging for the bookmarkbackups file.

I tried it. It says "Unable to process the backup file". Running Windows xp home ed.

i1800collect
10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
We can try digging for the actual backup files and see you can import them into Firefox.

(I'm typing this off memory as I'm on my OSX machine right now, tell me if something isn't where I thought it should have been.)

-C: drive
-Documents and Settings
-Click on the folder named whatever your User ID/Log-in Name is
-Application Data
-Mozilla
-Firefox
-Profiles
-Here you should see one, maybe more, folder(s) with a .default extension
-If there's only one, open it up and find the folder named "bookmarkbackups"
-There should be 5 files named "bookmarks-2010-10-(date).html"
-Copy them onto your desktop (don't really want to mess with the original files just in case)
-Go into Firefox->Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks->Import and Backup and try to import each of those file starting from the most recent date and see if it restores your bookmarks.

-If there are multiple .default folders, you'll probably have to guess which one to start with and check through each of them until you get to your default profile.

Good luck! (I'm all out of ideas if this doesn't work. :( )

biglou
10-23-2010, 5:39 PM
Thanks i1800collect. It worked, I knew I could count on CalGuns members.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-23-2010, 9:30 PM
Now go and get yourself an add-on call 'XMarks' and never worry about this ever again.

It syncs your bookmarks across multiple computers and keeps a running back up of all your bookmarks.

i1800collect
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Now go and get yourself an add-on call 'XMarks' and never worry about this ever again.

It syncs your bookmarks across multiple computers and keeps a running back up of all your bookmarks.

Xmarks is a great add-on. Hopefully they can find a buyer soon and stay in business or we're all going to have to find a new bookmark backup/sync'ing service come January. :(