PDA

View Full Version : AR15 into California

916NGS
10-23-2010, 4:32 AM
I work for an FFL that typically handles hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns. My co-workers father lives out of sate and wants to buy an AR15 and have it transfered by a dealer in his state. We have been running into a problem getting our current distributors to ship an AR into California. Who is shipping AR's into California?

rromeo
10-23-2010, 6:22 AM
A Colt AR15? Illegal.
A semiautomatic 223 rifle based on a popular design? What brand? Plenty of AR type rifles are sold here.

Milsurps
10-23-2010, 6:33 AM
Who is shipping AR's into California?

Here's one.
http://dynamicarmament.com/
Many more out there.

tenpercentfirearms
10-23-2010, 7:27 AM
Unless your FFL has an assault weapon permit, no one can ship you an assault weapon into California. Most people get them from middlemen who take an AR15 from a regular distributor and then make them CA legal.

Franklin Armory is a CA based company that sells complete AR15s with Bullet Buttons installed. Google them.

jtmkinsd
10-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I work for an FFL that typically handles hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns. My co-workers father lives out of sate and wants to buy an AR15 and have it transfered by a dealer in his state. We have been running into a problem getting our current distributors to ship an AR into California. Who is shipping AR's into California?

AR15 has become a generic term used to describe an entire class of rifles. The actual Colt AR-15 is an assault weapon (AW) in CA which can only be shipped to AW dealer for sale to a very small, select portion of the population (LEO). There is a list of firearms, either by make and model, or by "features" which are assault weapons according to CA...see here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

There are numerous places to obtain "off-list AR type" rifles. Rock River, Spikes Tactical, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Ruger and many more make off-list "AR type" rifles. Some manufacturers and distributors will not ship into CA...they will only ship to a "third party"...generally an 07 FFL who will modify the rifle to make it CA compliant (in most cases this simply means adding a bullet button). These "third parties" then sell the gun to someone in CA...Peach State Guns is an example that springs to mind.