PDA

View Full Version : E-readers Kindle, Nook, Sony, Others, Pro's Cons?

mur
10-22-2010, 7:34 PM
Looking to get an E-Reader
Who's got one, do you like it, Pro's Cons?
My Wife goes through books like crazy and wants one.

My MAIN concern is how are they outdoors?

I usually Take they wife dirt bike riding with me and she sits at camp, keeps watch and usually reads.
If the device isn't outdoor friendly it would really be killing my seat time.

Other concerns would be:

1. What format are the books, are they Pdf's
2. If not PDF's Are Book formats propitiatory to that specific device
3. Are the books cross platform compatible?
4. Any specific device hold more books than other devices
5. Anyway to backup the books that are purchased.
6. How long to the batteries last on these things?
7. Are E-Books cheaper

As long as I can ride, Price isn't an issue:p

Thank you

reggie 00
10-22-2010, 8:25 PM
If price isnt an issue i would get an I pad.

I have the Nook. It works good for books i get at Barnes and Noble.
The E books are cheaper than the print ones.
I have taken it camping with me twice now and it has done good. its light, and if you turn off the wireless the battery lasts longer. I go a week or so between charges reading a few hours a day i guess.

I will be getting the I pad. My friends got one and i love the way the magazines are. The color is a big deal. Not so much for regular books but the magazines look great.

They get a pretty wide variety of magazines. And i know the Nook has software you can load on it to read Barnes and Noble ebooks so im sure the others have it too.

The Nook reads PDFs, the sales guy showed me how to load em but its kind of cumbersome.

The Nook is cool for Books. But if you read alot of Magazines or papers i dont think the I Pad can be beat.

I havent looked at the Kindle so i dont know much about it other than its more expensive than the Nook, but i imagine its pretty similar.

Telperion
10-23-2010, 4:47 PM
1,2,3 - There's several formats: Mobipocket, ePub, Amazon's proprietary AZW format, and a few others. They aren't PDFs (although many e-readers will render PDFs), and often times PDFs don't work all that well with e-readers. Why? Because PDF is a page-description format that describes where every element (text or graphic) should be, as you would expect for a printed page. e-readers allow the text to reflow as you change the text size or jump to different points in the document. ePub is the most supported format (except for Amazon), but there are programs that will convert one format to the other in most cases, even stripping off the DRM.

4,5 - Check the specs. Some have memory card slots for external storage. Most will connect to a computer via USB and look like a flash drive where you can back up the contents to your computer.

6- e-ink readers can go several days, usually weeks between charges, as long as any device wireless mode is turned off. The iPad has a active powered display so its battery life is measured in hours.

7- Depends. I've seen Kindle books sell for more than the hardcover edition on Amazon, which usually unleashes a torrent of negative reviews and comments. Usually the price is a little less than the dead tree version. Publishers are always pushing for higher prices and restrictive DRM, but like the record companies, they just don't "get it" when it comes to the disruptive impact of digital distribution. In this area, change is the only guarantee.

Outdoor performance- I'm not so sure what you mean here. An e-ink display really does look like paper and is easily readable in full sunlight. If you mean weather and shock resistance, none of these devices respond that well to water and rough handling.

mur
10-23-2010, 7:05 PM
Great Information guys,

Any device I should avoid?
Without restrictions, which one would you get

Outdoor performance- I'm not so sure what you mean here. An e-ink display really does look like paper and is easily readable in full sunlight. If you mean weather and shock resistance, none of these devices respond that well to water and rough handling.

Only that it is easy to read in sunlight, not concerned with rain

zfields
10-23-2010, 8:24 PM
By the way, you can convert file formats using a program called Calibre. Ive converted thousands of E pub and PDFs into the format for my Kindle.

sfwdiy
10-23-2010, 8:43 PM
I've got a Kindle 2, I really enjoy it. It lasts for weeks on a charge as long as the wireless is turned off.

You can buy most any book on earth with one click on the Amazon website and it's instantly pushed to the device. You can also shop for books on the device itself. It's a great product.

--B

SoCal Bob
10-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I bought the wife a Kindle 2 and she loved it. I just got her the new Kindle 3 and she loves it even more. The 3 has better screen resolution and is a tad smaller. Battery life is great, if you leave the 3G/Wi-Fi turned off unless you are downloading a book. Amazon has tons of free books and the new books are usually less expensive than buying the hardback version at Costco. She uses it outside all the time, in the sunlight, with no issues.

I got her Kindle 2 when I gave her the Kindle 3 and have downloaded PDF's onto it with no problems. I have also copied a bunch of books onto it that were in the txt format.

If coin is an issue you might check Craigslist to see if there are any Kindle 2's for sale by people upgrading to the Kindle 3.

Someone suggested an iPad, early on they had an issue where they would overheat and shut off when used outdoors on a warm day. I would check to see if this is still a problem if you are thiking about one.

SnWnMe
10-26-2010, 7:42 AM
Kindle. Nook is slow, Sony's display isn't very sharp (due to the touch screen).

All have the common drawback of not being able to "leaf through" a book rapidly.

Iknownot
10-26-2010, 9:54 AM
Any e-ink screen (Kindle, nook, sony, but not the iPad) looks just like paper does outside in the sun.

Truthfully, after having a kindle for over a year now, I have a hard time reading traditional paper books at this point.

I can read faster on the kindle, with less eye-strain. It's more comfortable to hold for long reading sessions because there are no pages to hold open. I just like it better.

IMO, it's pretty hard to beat the new kindle ver. 3 that is out now. The price is pretty attractive for what you get, the screen has better resolution than the previous kindles and the batter life can go up to a month before needing a recharge.

If I were to buy a reader now, I'd go with the new kindles. Just based on the experience I've had with mine and what I know of friends who have other e-readers or the nook.

If you are in B&N a lot, then a nook may be worth looking into. If not, I think amazon has the better set up for ease of purchase and use through their website.

As for the iPad, if you want a device to do "other than reading" on, it's a good choice. I don't personally like the LCD screen for long reading sessions. I think e-ink is hands down better for actually reading. However it is hard to argue with being able to do all the other stuff the ipad can do, plus reading, if you just want to do short reading sessions or read things like magazines or newspapers on the device.

My 2 cents: Get the kindle 3 and don't look back.

(The new kindles support pdf natively and Amazon will be adding book sharing, like the Nook currently allows, later in the year, just as an FYI).

mosinmike
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Bought my 70 year old mother a Kindle, she reads a ton of books and she loves it. Has no problems ordering books online and takes it everywhere with her. I don't like the fact that its black and white only, but for just reading it works great. I'm thinking of getting a nook, that way I can take copies of pdf's and carry tech books instead of the bookshelf full of them.

SoCal Bob
10-26-2010, 4:41 PM
Bought my 70 year old mother a Kindle, she reads a ton of books and she loves it. Has no problems ordering books online and takes it everywhere with her. I don't like the fact that its black and white only, but for just reading it works great. I'm thinking of getting a nook, that way I can take copies of pdf's and carry tech books instead of the bookshelf full of them.

The Kindles will also read PDF's but I find the screen is a little too small when trying to read some PDF's. Our son bought one of the newer Kindle DX's with the bigger screen because he was able to download his college text books onto it. He has been really happy with the results so far and the downloaded textbooks were less money than the hardback versions.

If I recall correctly, the Nook's reading screen is the same black & white (greyscale) as the Kindle. The only color part is the menu screen at the bottom.

mur
10-27-2010, 5:50 PM
I've narrowed it down to the either the Kindle 3 or Nook.
I'm kind of leaning toward the Nook because it allows you to connect to your local library and download ebooks for free, and their Epub Support
However the Kindle has better battery life
There are Rumors the Nook 2 will be coming out very soon and suppose to be in color...hmmmm.

reggie 00
10-27-2010, 7:15 PM
Got an email from B&N. Color Nook is on its way. you can preorder now at $249

Darklyte27
10-27-2010, 7:21 PM
its prob mentioned already, kindle has the wifi version, it taps into cellphone networks for FREE wifi?..
my friend has one.

eville
10-27-2010, 7:25 PM
I hear rumor of $99 kindles after thanksgiving.

El Gato
10-27-2010, 7:32 PM
my wife bought me a kindle last Christmas out of self defense....I have literally read a couple of hundred books since I got it....

I LOVE my kindle...:jump::jump:

I'm a Sci Fi reader... been buying anthologies and collections of old SF books... like 60+ books for $1.99 ...
amazing...
bought a Bible ...
and my book case has been cleaned out..gave away like 300 paperbacks...
wife is happy so that's what counts...

the fact that I love the thing is of course a small consideration...

two biggest problems with it...
I can't get Eric Flint or John Ringo books on it.....YET...

Iknownot
10-28-2010, 9:52 AM
two biggest problems with it...
I can't get Eric Flint or John Ringo books on it.....YET...

How about Ringo and Flint books for free? Will that help out (assuming you haven't read all of these yet?)

There's some Niven up too.

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

Got an email from B&N. Color Nook is on its way. you can preorder now at $249

I don't believe it is e-ink. It's LCD. And at that price, I think the iPad is a more attractive choice, since it does more, considering the screens are the same tech. Just my opinion.

jmlivingston
10-29-2010, 6:45 PM
I have the 3g Nook and my wife has the WiFi Nook and we love it, they just announced this week a color backlight version which will be shipping next month. The Nooks are Android based and can be rooted, though I haven't done it to either of ours yet.

Sony has a touch-screen reader based on the e-ink technology, but they had to put another layer over the e-ink screen to make it work. I've seen reviews that indicate this reduces readability outdoors. Not sure what kind of ebook library support they have either. The Kindle and Nook seem to have good support from Amazon and B&N.

I've heard the Kindle doesn't support the ePub format which is pretty much the ebook standard. The nice thing about ePub is that you can go to third-party websites to purchase them i.e. www.ebooks.com. The Nook supports this format.

The e-ink screens are incredibly easy on the eyes, possibly even more so than paper and last for days (up to 2 weeks!) on a single charge. Any of the tablet systems i.e. iPad aren't going to be able to do that due to their use of an active backlight display.

My advice? Don't buy a tablet to read books on. Buy a tablet because you want/need it, then also enjoy reading books with it. Besides Apple's iBook format there are also Kindle and Nook apps available.

John

Curtis
11-02-2010, 8:54 AM
My wife has a Kindle and loves it! It works great in day light. In fact she has to have an external light to read it at night (easier on her eyes than the iPad). When we got the iPad she was able to upload all the books she had purchased onto the book reader on the iPad.

Gryff
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a Kindle.

Pros:
- Awesome battery life. I use it for 10-14 days before I have to recharge.
- Great print quality indoors and out
- Simple to use
- Online purchase service doesn't have any connection charges
- Kindle app for the iPhone/iPad so you can download and read your books on one of those devices

Cons:
- Proprietary book formats (only work on Kindle or iPad/iPhone)
- Books cannot be shared between different Kindle owners (tied in to the account on which it was purchased)
- No backlight - have to have a light source in the room if you want to see the text
- Exceptionally limited additional abilities of the device (for all practical purposes, you can't use it to check email or browse the web).

I like the Kindle because it has killer battery life, great text quality, and can download new books anywhere that has reasonable cell phone coverage. But it is, plain and simple, and eBook reader. I yearn for the greater abilities of the iPad, but yet the iPad offers only a fraction of the battery life of the Kindle.

Iknownot
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
BTW, for anyone complaining about the kindle's lack of epub support or for anyone that wants to be able to change e-book formats for any reader, I have heard good things about the following:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

- Exceptionally limited additional abilities of the device (for all practical purposes, you can't use it to check email or browse the web).

BTW, I'm not sure what the point of holding this against the kindle is. The kindle (and the nook or sony e-reader) are not trying to be anything other than e-book readers. I think that is pretty obvious from the price point, technology, and how they are marketed.

The kindle (and other e-readers) are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, which is displaying books. If you want to be doing stuff other than just that, you should be looking at an iPad (or netbook or other more full fledged PC device).

Gryff
11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
BTW, I'm not sure what the point of holding this against the kindle is. The kindle (and the nook or sony e-reader) are not trying to be anything other than e-book readers. I think that is pretty obvious from the price point, technology, and how they are marketed.

The kindle (and other e-readers) are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, which is displaying books. If you want to be doing stuff other than just that, you should be looking at an iPad (or netbook or other more full fledged PC device).

Just listed my Pros and Cons. I bring it up because a) the Kindle does have a browser built into it, but is pretty much useless, and b) the device does cost more far more than a couple of paper books.

If the limited abilities are easily off-set by the price, then that is up to the buyer to decide. But I'm just giving the OP the opinion he asked for.

AlliedArmory
11-02-2010, 1:57 PM
I got my GF a Kindle 2 and she loves it. Only wish it had a backlit display.

While the iPad is cool, it is very expensive with a monthly fee for 3G

Gryff
11-02-2010, 2:03 PM
While the iPad is cool, it is very expensive with a monthly fee for 3G

Agreed. And while the WiFi access is nice, there are reports that using a backlit device while reading in bed can actually mess up your sleep patterns. If true, that's a definite plus for the dedicated ebook readers.

AlliedArmory
11-02-2010, 2:14 PM
BTW, for anyone complaining about the kindle's lack of epub support or for anyone that wants to be able to change e-book formats for any reader, I have heard good things about the following:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I just downloaded this for my GF and converting a pdf as we speak. Seems very user friendly and works! the conversion process takes forever though and this is on a fast gaming rig.

dav
11-02-2010, 4:52 PM
I'm surprised at the claim of proprietary format for the Kindle. Amazon, yes. Kindle, no. We load everything on ours, and share it all. .pdfs, text, mobi, calibre - it all works.

We don't buy from Amazon anymore, though. Try Baen (http://www.baen.com/). Their prices are better and they don't use DRM.

Cranium
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I bought a WiFi nook at B&N a few weeks ago. Loved it.
Returned it a few days later, when the "big announcement" was planned.
After the color LCD was announced, I went and bought a 3G Nook used.
Kindle's cool too.
But the native Epub support (and ability to browse google's book service on the device) sold me.
The screen flip isn't THAT slow, and it's supposed to get better this month.

There's a hard plastic case you can get for the readers, as well as splash/dustproof ones.

mur
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I bought a WiFi nook at B&N a few weeks ago. Loved it.
Returned it a few days later, when the "big announcement" was planned.
After the color LCD was announced, I went and bought a 3G Nook used.
Kindle's cool too.
But the native Epub support (and ability to browse google's book service on the device) sold me.
The screen flip isn't THAT slow, and it's supposed to get better this month.

There's a hard plastic case you can get for the readers, as well as splash/dustproof ones.

I was all set on purchasing the Nook Color, however the battery life is only 8 hours. Wanting something for the outdoors and camping trips, for me that is a deal breaker.
I need to go back and look at the kindle and nook again:(

ChaparralCommando
11-07-2010, 1:42 PM
The Kindles will also read PDF's but I find the screen is a little too small when trying to read some PDF's. Our son bought one of the newer Kindle DX's with the bigger screen because he was able to download his college text books onto it. He has been really happy with the results so far and the downloaded textbooks were less money than the hardback versions.

If I recall correctly, the Nook's reading screen is the same black & white (greyscale) as the Kindle. The only color part is the menu screen at the bottom.

I use a Kindle DX for college studying and reading assignments in PDF, and it is OK for that purpose. PDFs would be near impossible without the large screen. I have also read books on it, and it works very well for that purpose. There is a ereader made in Europe called the BeBook that handles more formats than most and can adjust zoom on PDFs, iirc.

esskay
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I was all set on purchasing the Nook Color, however the battery life is only 8 hours. Wanting something for the outdoors and camping trips, for me that is a deal breaker.
I need to go back and look at the kindle and nook again:(

From my research, the Kindle has better battery life than either Nook model. The B/W Nook has a small color touch screen at the bottom for navigation and it is a drag on batteries. Turn off the WiFi/3G on a Kindle and it is supposed to last a really long time!

jmlivingston
11-09-2010, 5:47 AM
The difference in battery between the Nook and the Kindle is what, 10 days vs 14 days? I've not found that difference to be a big deal.

esskay
11-09-2010, 9:06 AM
The difference in battery between the Nook and the Kindle is what, 10 days vs 14 days? I've not found that difference to be a big deal.

Fair point, the largest difference in battery life will be between the readers using e-Ink screens (Kindle, B&W Nook, Sony) which last days and days, and those devices with color LCD screens like the Color Nook 2, iPad, etc.

Blackhawk556
11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
for those who have an e-reader, if i'm reading something and decide to highlight it will i be able too?
when i read books i like to use my highlighter to mark important ideas, do e-readers have something like that?

jmlivingston
11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes, there's also an ability to bookmark pages and type in notes. At least on the Nook and the Kindle, don't know about the other brands.

Iknownot
11-09-2010, 2:52 PM

The new kindles are lasting up to a month between recharges (with wifi off).

Steve_338LM
11-09-2010, 3:38 PM
I have the newer 3g Kindle and it works fine. I also purchased a cover with a light that allows me to read in total darkness (other than the small LED light that points at the screen) so I don't keep my wife awake.

Kindle also has software for other devices, so I sync my books between a Kindle, PC and Droid.

r08ert209cali
11-11-2010, 9:16 AM
Never read an ebook until i got this i-pad. Since i have had it i have read two ebooks, patriots and one second after . Both where downloaded from itunes at 9.99 a copy.

Pros.
Easy downloads and search interface.
Large screen.
Library is cool.
Lots of free books.
Ability to search and download over the 3g network.
Great web interface.

Cons
Price
Battery life goes quick when reading with full back light.
At&t data plan sucks,only 2 gigs for 25 a month. So i can not watch netflix at work.

Overall i highly recomend the I-pad it does a lot very well in a small easy to carry package.
Did i mention ballsistics apps.

jmlivingston
11-12-2010, 6:39 AM
Buy.com's daily email has refurb'd Nooks on sale for $99/$119 (WiFi/3G) if anyone's interested.

http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-by-barnes-noble-wi-fi-certified-pre-owned-ereader/q/loc/111/listingid/119141383/217612846.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-by-barnes-noble-3g-wi-fi-certified-pre-owned-ereader/q/loc/111/listingid/119201357/217612847.html

SupportGeek
11-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I just got a Kindle 3 for my birthday last week, and I have to admit, Im in love.
There are a TON of titles on Amazons site that are free or real cheap ($3 and less) and of course, its Amazon, so I have access to more books than Id have ever dreamed.
It looks like the battery will last a month or so with WiFi off.
Im very impressed, the e-ink is extremely easy on the eyes, easily read in full sunlight, minimal light, and Ive even read it while wearing sunglasses, while an LCD screen becomes VERY tough to read. I have a small light that lets me read it easily at night without bothering the wife.
If it was an i-Pad it would illuminate the room and she wouldnt sleep at all.
It has a browser, I havnt pushed it, but its more than enough for Calguns :D

I dont know that Im ever going to buy another paper book again to be honest, its a cool little device with more features than I expected.
When I want a device to do more than read books, I'll buy an i-Pad, till then, Kindle delivers more than I need.

johnny_22
11-15-2010, 4:13 PM
Rocket E-book. You can find software on the web to convert your book to its proprietary format.

Blackhawk556
11-16-2010, 12:41 AM
for anyone that is interested, best buy will have the wifi nook for $99 on black friday. I might get a kindle 3 on black friday IF amazon sells it for $99.

I played with a nook about two weeks ago and it was kind of slow

erikdjs
11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Before buying a Nook, do some research on Barnes. Last I heard they were in financial trouble. If they go BK where does that leave nook users?

jmlivingston
11-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Before buying a Nook, do some research on Barnes. Last I heard they were in financial trouble. If they go BK where does that leave nook users?

Just fine, as the nook support epub so you can buy books at a variety of different websites including borders.com. That's the nice thing about supporting open standards. :) The only protected format that the Kindle supports is Amazon's own proprietary document.

mur
11-20-2010, 7:17 PM
Anyone know if the Kindle will be on sale this Black Friday?

olhunter
11-20-2010, 7:55 PM
Yes, there's also an ability to bookmark pages and type in notes. At least on the Nook and the Kindle, don't know about the other brands.

I have the Sony Touch 600. Awesome. It will do the notes and bookmarks and supports epub, pdf and doc formats. Plays music while you read too. I check out epub's from the library all of the time. Works great and free.

I got the Sony specifically for the epub compatibility, plus I just have this annoyance for any product that tries to force me into their product (Kindle).

JDay
11-20-2010, 7:58 PM
If you have a smart phone there is a Kindle app, you can also get this app for your computer. Saves on the cost of an e-reader.

rynando
11-22-2010, 5:33 PM
I'll stick to buying actual books. I read a lot and have tried to like the current gen. e-readers but I can't. A paperback book has so many advantages over lugging an e-reader around (no batteries, durable, cheap, not a target for airport theft, etc.). I write software for a living and I fark around with enough electronic pieces of crap every day. And no, cell phone readers aren't an option. The screens are too small and I'm always scrolling. When I read I'd still rather look at a printed page. Maybe in a few generations readers will "get me." Anything's possible.