View Full Version : Who makes a cheap, loud motion alarm?

06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I wanna stick a loud alarm in my safe to keep the dirtbags at bay, seen any cheap??

06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
You mean you want the alarm to go off when your safe is opened? I think it would too late by then....

06-09-2006, 1:11 PM
I think the pool supply places sell those. Or maybe HD?

06-09-2006, 2:02 PM
Radio Shack would be my guess

06-09-2006, 3:31 PM
Get an X-10 security system, not only can you use it for your safe but for the rest of your house.

06-09-2006, 4:43 PM
X10 is very loud and not very expensive, and they have a variety of options like motion sensors, door/window magnetic alarms, and such.

However, their quality control is pretty awful, the wireless range is weak, and the reliability of the gear is not the best. You can improve range a lot with extenders, but they tend to be relatively expensive. Support is abysmal.

The wireless stuff won't work from inside your safe, IME, due to the steel walls, though you could put the whole thing in there and it would be OK. You'd need to run power for the base station, but they tend to run pretty cool. You could get even better reliability by running both a motion detector and a door alarm.

There's a good-size X10 hack community, and it may be easy to mod the sensor to run an antenna out the back of your safe.

You can also have it auto-dial your cell phone, pager, whatever, when the alarm goes off.

It's interesting stuff to dabble with, but it's a very long way from pro-grade gear. Still, for the price, you can't beat it if it does what you want.

Sign up for their mailing list, and you'll get a never-ending stream of offers. Some of the bundles are quite good for the money, and you can wait for the combo you want at a heavy discount.

woohoo! 500th post!

06-09-2006, 10:46 PM
If all you want is a door triggered alarm... all you need is a contact switch ($0.50) and a $5 siren like the ones used for cars.. super loud hooked up to a 12V supply.

06-10-2006, 7:03 AM
I am looking for a sensitivity type alarm, not the switch kind, they are gunna wrestle with this thing to pry it off the wall and froor, thats when I want the alarm to trip.Have you seen any of those traveling/vacation alarms?

06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Here's some:

07-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Forget the cheap motion detecting travel alarms.

If those aren't reset daily they tend to fall asleep and not go off even when the door is kicked in.

What you want is a motion detector that's professional grade, hooked to a 12volt rechargeable battery that drives an exterior alarm. And you want neighbors who know to call the PD if they hear your alarm.

One trick BG's use is to trip an alarm and retreat a block or so to see if the cops show up. If no one shows up after about 10 minutes, the return to finish the job.

If the safe is in a closet or a spare room, alarm the closet/room, not the safe. If it's in your garage, build a simple wood cabinet around it and alarm that. You want the alarm to be sounded BEFORE they start trying to muck with the safe to allow as much time for help to arrive as possible.