PDA

View Full Version : How long can the state delay a purchase

OCArmory
10-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I have a customer that has been on delay for 10 days. I know that in other states with the NICS check if it is not resolved in 72 hours you can release the firearm. Does California have a time limit before you can release the firearm. Do they ever have to release it? Thanks
Mike

jtmkinsd
10-22-2010, 2:26 PM
I have a customer that has been on delay for 10 days. I know that in other states with the NICS check if it is not resolved in 72 hours you can release the firearm. Does California have a time limit before you can release the firearm. Do they ever have to release it? Thanks
Mike

Don't release the firearm until they say you can...there is no limit as to how long it can take...if and when they release the firearm the buyer has 30 days to pick up. This has been an understanding between DOJ and BATFE for a while...I've had delays last up to two months.

yzernie
10-22-2010, 7:19 PM
I had one that took 9 months before I got the OK to release the gun. Make sure you keep the release authorization letter with the rest of that paperwork.

OCArmory
10-22-2010, 8:05 PM
I have had several delayed. I always keep the paperwork, but I was wondering if there was anyway I can press them for a decision.
Mike

dirtyJ
10-22-2010, 8:39 PM
There's nothing you can do since DOJ won't tell you jack squat about anything. We had someone on delay for over 3 months before a denial. We've also had people delayed for a month and get approved, even had an approval after denial. Once they're delayed, their 30 day timer stops, but the 10 day timer keeps going.

tenpercentfirearms
10-23-2010, 7:25 AM
I had a guy get delayed a couple years ago (could even be three to four!) and I never did get a release or deny letter.

jtmkinsd
10-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I had a guy get delayed a couple years ago (could even be three to four!) and I never did get a release or deny letter.

lol...what did you do with the gun??? Just cancel the transaction? I'd love to see an "approval after delay" letter show up out of the blue for something like that.

tenpercentfirearms
10-23-2010, 2:33 PM
lol...what did you do with the gun??? Just cancel the transaction? I'd love to see an "approval after delay" letter show up out of the blue for something like that.

Eventually he just came in and canceled it and I refunded him most of his money.