PDA

View Full Version : Salon: I was anti-gun, until I got stalked

N6ATF
10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.salon.com/life/life_stories/?story=%2Fmwt%2Ffeature%2F2010%2F10%2F20%2Fbuying_ gun_protect_from_stalker

But that morning was like a perfect storm of firearms. The first thing Mike had said to me when I opened my eyes -- hours before the officer made his suggestion, before my neighbor confided she'd been thinking of getting a gun for hiking and kayaking trips, before my retired military uncle e-mailed to say that arming myself probably wouldn't be a bad idea -- was, "Maybe you should get a gun."

Apparently, the Universe really wanted me packing heat.

The officer saw the dismay on my face. "Most bullet wounds don't kill people," he assured me. "And it would be self-defense."

paul0660
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
"Getting a concealed carry permit isn't hard," the officer continued."

She lives in Oregon.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
At least not a negative piece, but my thought is always, "Why wait until it gets that bad to think about self defense?".

Maestro Pistolero
10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
That's when the old Theodore Roosevelt adage popped into my head -- "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- and I finally got it. I can still be the compassionate, diplomatic, interfaith groovy gal I've always been; I'll just be packing heat in case negotiations tank.This is the connect-the-dots moment that almost never happens for most vehement anti-gunners. The ability to take a life comes with a nice caveat: The ability to save an innocent one.

tiki
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
That's when the old Theodore Roosevelt adage popped into my head -- "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- and I finally got it. I can still be the compassionate, diplomatic, interfaith groovy gal I've always been; I'll just be packing heat in case negotiations tank.

Love it!

Crom
10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
It was an interesting article. I loved how she spoke her feelings. I like this quote from the article:

-- two months and more target practice later -- I'm still not entirely comfortable having a handgun in the house. Whenever the dogs erupt in the middle of the night in a barking frenzy, my thoughts go immediately to my .38.I identify with the underlined remarks. In the middle of the night when I hear something out of place, my mind immediately goes to my .44. :eek:

hill billy
10-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I think the real moment of enlightenment here is not the gun but the fact that her "life is beautiful" lifestyle is not completely bound to hating guns.

arc
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe it's just me but I seem to be running across more and more articles like this lately. I can only hope it's a sign that we're winning and RKBA is becoming more and more accepted by a larger audience.

-James

dantodd
10-22-2010, 11:40 AM
We don't need to turn everyone into gun nuts. Only into people who respect gun rights and the gun's proper place in our society.

iareConfusE
10-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Picture of the Walther pointed at the camera is an airsoft gun, haha.

Skidmark
10-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's just me but I seem to be running across more and more articles like this lately. I can only hope it's a sign that we're winning and RKBA is becoming more and more accepted by a larger audience.

-James

I can tell you that we are, and it is. A good article.

bulgron
10-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks to me like she's putting her stalker on notice. "I own and carry a gun, and I live with two big dogs. Stay away."

Unfortunately, the kind of obsession that drives stalkers isn't really something that can be modified by fear of an armed victim. She would have done better to let the gun remain her little personal surprise in case he ever came calling.

yellowfin
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Looks to me like she's putting her stalker on notice. "I own and carry a gun, and I live with two big dogs. Stay away."

Unfortunately, the kind of obsession that drives stalkers isn't really something that can be modified by fear of an armed victim. She would have done better to let the gun remain her little personal surprise in case he ever came calling.Perhaps, but at least this way if she ever does have to shoot him she can use this in court to say that she gave a fair warning ahead of time. This is about as clear and irrefutable documentation as one could ask for.

Brianguy
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
This is good. Another person exercising her right to self defense :) Her boyfriend should buy a handgun too.

BluNorthern
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM

-JamesI keep thinking and hoping the same thing. Then in the last 2 weeks I'm talking to some youngsters...25'ish...and the talk turns to guns and they absolutely freeze up. One had a father who was thinking about buying one, the other's grandfather was gonna buy a little 380 to keep handy. Both kids were horrified and could not even fathom any talk of why one would want to own "one of those things". Very discouraging. I do know that one of their mothers absolutely hates the idea of guns being around so it's obvious where the idea got planted.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Perhaps, but at least this way if she ever does have to shoot him she can use this in court to say that she gave a fair warning ahead of time. This is about as clear and irrefutable documentation as one could ask for.

And it appears the police are already involved. Makes for a short story when they called on a "stalker dead" call.

putput
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
(Code name: Salad Shooter).

bulgron
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Perhaps, but at least this way if she ever does have to shoot him she can use this in court to say that she gave a fair warning ahead of time. This is about as clear and irrefutable documentation as one could ask for.

In California, that article would be taken as evidence that she had planned some vigilante justice to get back at her stalker.

Casual_Shooter
10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are quickly turned to advocates once their personal space is violated.

stix213
10-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Good for her

Now with any luck, and some wins by CGF, maybe someday I'll be able to get a CCW too

nicki
10-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Some of our best proponents were at one time our opponents.

I am sure we have a few people on this board who at one time actually thoght that victim disarmanent laws were a good idea.

Nicki

Mute
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Glad she was wise enough to make the connection that being a gun owner, even for the purpose of self-defense, does not contradict her peace-loving ideology.

N6ATF
10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Peace with superior firepower.

nemisis1400
10-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Everyone should be able to live a nice peaceful life.

The gun is plan B.

racerguy180
10-22-2010, 1:45 PM
I like it when she says " I'll just be packing heat in case negotiations tank."

Generally when you're dealing with a deranged/delusioned individual, there are no negotiations.

At least she now knows that the police can't protect her all the time & that she has to be responsible for her own safety.

Kodemonkey
10-22-2010, 1:57 PM
I wonder if she really was that good of a shot or she embellished because her stalker reads her column. Makes me wonder if she is even armed at all, or just doing this to make the guy back off.

bandook
10-22-2010, 2:27 PM
I have a bad feeling about this. The stalker's probably followed her to the range several times and still sends her a letter? Seems like an act of defiance.
'Mike' probably needs to get a CCW as well - just in case the stalker attempts to 'clear the obstacle'.

CCWFacts
10-22-2010, 2:47 PM
I'm glad she's now a gun owner and protecting herself. She is lucky to be in Oregon where there's no need to actively fight for gun rights (at this time). They have CCW, and it's not going away. They are not facing any real possibility of new gun bans.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this woman is not going to help her fellow gun owners who happen to be in some place where we do need to fight actively for our gun rights. We need help from gun owners in the rest of the country. We need them to be NRA members, and we need them to make gun rights a voting issue. Unfortunately, this woman will probably not do any of those things, but will still vote for gun-banners. Hey it doesn't hurt her; she has her gun and her CCW (I assume).

jdberger
10-22-2010, 2:58 PM
We don't need to turn everyone into gun nuts. Only into people who respect gun rights and the gun's proper place in our society.

Exactly. They'd drive up the prices on everything....

sd_shooter
10-22-2010, 3:04 PM
Just sent this story to my wife! Thanks for the link.

And I'm thinking of getting that very same Ruger LCR for her.

jdberger
10-22-2010, 3:09 PM
I'm glad she's now a gun owner and protecting herself. She is lucky to be in Oregon where there's no need to actively fight for gun rights (at this time). They have CCW, and it's not going away. They are not facing any real possibility of new gun bans.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this woman is not going to help her fellow gun owners who happen to be in some place where we do need to fight actively for our gun rights. We need help from gun owners in the rest of the country. We need them to be NRA members, and we need them to make gun rights a voting issue. Unfortunately, this woman will probably not do any of those things, but will still vote for gun-banners. Hey it doesn't hurt her; she has her gun and her CCW (I assume).

She might - if we're polite. ;)

Sometimes being "mugged by reality" opens eyes and engages activist gears. We can even invite her to CGN (though we'll have to tell her to treat Off-Topic as if it's Bluebeard's locked room).

Merc1138
10-22-2010, 3:27 PM
Well, at least she realized she can be a gun owner and still eat tofu burgers and $4 organic apples. Plus, everyone around her apparently had the sense to talk some sense into her head.

Of course why people even let something get to that point and still need to be told that they need some means to defend themselves is idiotic, but at least she finally got the message.

dantodd
10-22-2010, 4:55 PM
She might - if we're polite. ;)

Sometimes being "mugged by reality" opens eyes and engages activist gears. We can even invite her to CGN (though we'll have to tell her to treat Off-Topic as if it's Bluebeard's locked room).

I don't see her joining an NRA that invites Palin to speak at their national meetings. She might be willing to work with a group that is more narrowly focused on 2A and brings more of a "big tent" approach to the table. Where can we find one of those?

Jonl
10-22-2010, 5:08 PM
Good story, hopefully her article will open some eyes about "evil" guns to the readers.

Cowboy T
10-22-2010, 5:20 PM
Funny how anti-gunners all of a sudden become pro-gun when it's their lives in the balance instead of yours and mine...isn't it? Kinda reminds me of why Dianne Feinstein got her CCW permit in San Francisco and carried for years....

Now that "Jenny" understands the value of armed self-defense, will she, as someone with a nationwide forum like Salon at her disposal, proactively defend our rights? I doubt it, but I hope that she will.

Kynoch
10-22-2010, 5:21 PM
This is the connect-the-dots moment that almost never happens for most vehement anti-gunners. The ability to take a life comes with a nice caveat: The ability to save an innocent one.

Part of the problem at least with my own experience is those that most lust after having a CCW permit have NEVER been "the compassionate, diplomatic, interfaith groovy gal"/guy this woman has always been...

Code7inOaktown
10-22-2010, 11:11 PM
It's also interesting to read the reader comments. Lots of liberal gun owners read Salon and chiming in to say welcome....

And then there's: "ugggg, for the "average" person

handguns are awful for self-defense, especially if it's in your purse.

practically speaking, the best weapon is a shotgun.....which obviously can't be conceal carried. in close quarters, a knife can be as useful as a gun.

i'd like to know if there are any statistics as to the number of persons killed/injured by an assailant with their own guns."

Why even bring up a shotgun here? Would he really encourage her to get a bladed weapon as her primary defense too? And Police officers are also at very high risk of being killed by their own weapons, thus the focus on retention techniques. I wonder if this genius thinks they should be disarmed too? Blasted anti gun idiots.

dantodd
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Part of the problem at least with my own experience is those that most lust after having a CCW permit have NEVER been "the compassionate, diplomatic, interfaith groovy gal"/guy this woman has always been...

It's sure a good thing we have someone like you here to pass judgment on the motives and disposition of gun owners and ccw holders/lusters.

jdberger
10-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't see her joining an NRA that invites Palin to speak at their national meetings. She might be willing to work with a group that is more narrowly focused on 2A and brings more of a "big tent" approach to the table. Where can we find one of those?

Probably gathered around the Maltese Falcon in a dimly lit room singing obscure toasts to "Bingham" while passing a lime green bucket full of sand.

:whistling:

dantodd
10-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Probably gathered around the Maltese Falcon in a dimly lit room singing obscure toasts to "Bingham" while passing a lime green bucket full of sand.

:whistling:

We'll have to try that, sounds like a great time. Maybe add in some Maker's Mark.

:whistling: :gene:

The Shadow
10-23-2010, 8:37 AM
I see a lot of posturing on both sides of the conservative/liberal divide. The fact that she gets it, is what's most important. Diane Feinstein has nothing to do with this article. The fact that she may be a vegan has nothing to do with the article, and whether or not she chooses to be an NRA member is not at issue here. I applaud her for taking the initiative to defend herself. I also appreciate that she is compassionate and peaceful, I think most people are regardless of where a person stands on the gun issue or how much they want a CCW. But being compassionate and peaceful is also a non issue in her situation, it is in fact all about being the target of a criminal and how a person responds to a potential threat. So, before anymore derogatory comments come from either side of the conservative/liberal chasm, think about what has been accomplished in this woman's life. She has had an eye opening epiphany that will spread like wildfire among others just like her. She has fans that will read her article and it will inspire them to think outside of their box. Maligning or castigating her for whatever reason is not what anyone should be doing. And using her social philosophies to shame others is equally unwarranted. Whether you're a conservative or liberal, there is a bridge that connects us and that's our constitutional right to keep and bear arms for legal purposes. To bring anything else into the topic is simply a distraction and useful only to drive a wedge between us.

Milsurp Collector
10-23-2010, 9:54 AM
In that moment, I understood the phrase, "blood turning to ice." I'm afraid of guns. When you get right down to it, I abhor them. I used to date a guy who owned a handgun and regularly trekked into the woods with his friends to shoot. I made him move the small gun safe from beneath the bed to another room before I'd agree to stay overnight.

This is the default baseline opinion for a lot of the populace out there, especially in cities, like it or not. That's why they call 911 when they see someone not in uniform openly carrying on the street. That fear has to be overcome with a smart PR campaign and grass roots efforts - offering to take people who have never fired a gun to go shooting. I've done it and we should all do it more, otherwise we will continue to be labeled "gun nuts" and the antis will continue to be at least partially successful with their efforts.

Stonewalker
10-23-2010, 2:19 PM
Man, I thought we were smug here in CA... did you read some of those comments?

vandal
10-23-2010, 4:24 PM
IMHO the guns the alarm and the dogs are to give her the feeling that she is in control.

I wonder if she really was that good of a shot or she embellished because her stalker reads her column. Makes me wonder if she is even armed at all, or just doing this to make the guy back off.

gregorylucas
10-23-2010, 5:10 PM
I'm just suprised that this came out of Salon. :43:

-Greg

Mofo-Kang
10-23-2010, 8:36 PM
Just sent this story to my wife! Thanks for the link.

And I'm thinking of getting that very same Ruger LCR for her.

I've been thinking of getting one, too. A video review I saw on youtube said the felt recoil is substantial. I wonder if the extra 4 ounces in the .357 mag model would make much difference when shooting the same .38s?

Mofo-Kang
10-23-2010, 8:37 PM

That sort of thing is why the NRA will never see a cent of my money.