PDA

View Full Version : Loading Sks...Do i need stripper clips?

x2delight
06-08-2006, 7:02 PM
i finally got my shipment of 7.62x39 and had a question as i have never fired the sks before.. do i need stripper clips to load the sks or what? it has a magazine so let me know..

its a yugo

ghettoshecky
06-08-2006, 7:12 PM
i finally got my shipment of 7.62x39 and had a question as i have never fired the sks before.. do i need stripper clips to load the sks or what? it has a magazine so let me know..

its a yugo

I have an SKS too and you can load w/o stripper clips, but takes a hella long time to. Stripper clips make a fixed mag decent in that you can load reasonably quick with them. They're pretty cheap and a lot of booths sell them at gunshows.

x2delight
06-08-2006, 7:14 PM
I have an SKS too and you can load w/o stripper clips, but takes a hella long time to. Stripper clips make a fixed mag decent in that you can load reasonably quick with them. They're pretty cheap and a lot of booths sell them at gunshows.

well i dont see how it would hold the ammo and load properly... anyone got a manual or something... lol

kennisonxgs
06-08-2006, 7:25 PM
Push the ammo down from the top after you open the bolt.

ohsmily
06-08-2006, 8:25 PM
well i dont see how it would hold the ammo and load properly... anyone got a manual or something... lol

You said LOL so maybe you are joking...but in case you aren't...

Have you ever seen an SKS? If you have, then you would see how it works...it works just like most fixed magazine rifles whether they be semi-auto or bolt action. You just push the rounds through the open action into the magazine. The stripper clips just greatly speed this process and since they are STRIPPER CLIPS (not CLIPS) the rounds are stripped off the clip; the clip does not go in the magazine.

x2delight
06-08-2006, 10:39 PM
You said LOL so maybe you are joking...but in case you aren't...

Have you ever seen an SKS? If you have, then you would see how it works...it works just like most fixed magazine rifles whether they be semi-auto or bolt action. You just push the rounds through the open action into the magazine. The stripper clips just greatly speed this process and since they are STRIPPER CLIPS (not CLIPS) the rounds are stripped off the clip; the clip does not go in the magazine.

actually i wasnt joking.. i have my sks but i cant do that until i get to the range. so when i get to the range ill see i guess..

rkt88edmo
06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
If you have a stripper clip, you can still see how it works even when empty. First, load a few, like 3, rounds on the stripper clip, push them all the way until they come off. Take your empty stripper clip, lock the bolt on the sks back, and insert the stripper clip in the 'slot' at the top of the bolt. Notice how it only seats so far? When it is fully loaded, you insert it like that and then push down on the cartirdges and they will slide into the magazine. It does take a good bit of pressure. Try it with less than ten rounds and work your way up. When you are done you pull the empty stripper clip out. Pull back on your the bolt and release it, your gun is now loaded.

VeryCoolCat
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
The stripper clips are just little strips of metal that hold ammunition...

You line this piece of metal with the non-detachable magazine then PUSH just the rounds (... the bullets.... ) from the top into the magazine and SHOULD just slide into the magazine unless you improperly placed the stripper clip during loading.

You can load them one by one if you want. Its a pain in the *** and it sometimes hurts your fingers after you do it too much.

railroader
06-09-2006, 4:40 AM
I just load my sks's from the top without strippers. It is very easy. Strippers are faster than loading one at a time but the strippers have to be loaded to use so it's a toss up. Mark

hoax
06-09-2006, 6:36 AM
I think loading stripper clips, then using the clip to load the sks is easier than loading rounds one at a time. I have a thin piece of metal that I use to hold back one the the tabs on the stripper clip so I can just drop the rounds in 2 at a time.

Mesa Tactical
06-09-2006, 6:47 AM
I have never used stripper clips with my SKSes. Loading the rifle is definitely easier than loading the damned clips.

Dudes with questions about the operation of their firearms should think about getting some snap caps to practice with at home.

Prince50
06-09-2006, 7:23 AM
Always looking for better ways to do somthing, I have discovered that you can load 9 rounds Lightning fast into the SKS without the tedium of first loading the stripper clip. Are you ready to be impressed???

close the bolt.

Turn the rifle upside down and open the mag. Drop in one round pointy side facing the muzzle, and cant the rifle so the round lies on the left side of the mag well when looking from butt to muzzle.

drop in the remaining 8 rounds, and they will lay down in order since the mag is double stack.

smartly close the mag, return the rifle to sights up, retract and release the bolt and bang!

Actually, bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang.

It takes about 10 seconds to do this little trick, and you can have rounds in your pocket. Have all 9 in your right hand while doing this operation.

You can get really good at it after awhile. It takes about 20 seconds to load the stripper clip at home, and will destroy your fingernails. Save that time for loading ammo belts for 1919s or M2HBs.

I have about 1000 stripper clips which I will sell at $0.20 each since I do not use them anymore.

Darin

JPglee1
06-09-2006, 7:32 AM
Always looking for better ways to do somthing, I have discovered that you can load 9 rounds Lightning fast into the SKS without the tedium of first loading the stripper clip. Are you ready to be impressed???

close the bolt.

Turn the rifle upside down and open the mag. Drop in one round pointy side facing the muzzle, and cant the rifle so the round lies on the left side of the mag well when looking from butt to muzzle.

drop in the remaining 8 rounds, and they will lay down in order since the mag is double stack.

smartly close the mag, return the rifle to sights up, retract and release the bolt and bang!

Actually, bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang.

It takes about 10 seconds to do this little trick, and you can have rounds in your pocket. Have all 9 in your right hand while doing this operation.

You can get really good at it after awhile. It takes about 20 seconds to load the stripper clip at home, and will destroy your fingernails. Save that time for loading ammo belts for 1919s or M2HBs.

I have about 1000 stripper clips which I will sell at $0.20 each since I do not use them anymore.

Darin

This is the exact procedure I plan to use for loading a fixed mag 762x39 CZ52 (CZ52 frame welded to an 80% AK flat, using a SKS magazine..still a CZ52 under DOJ's opinion)

It works like a charm :)

JP

sintax
06-09-2006, 9:15 AM
Since you appear to be an SKS newbie i'll toss in the general warning.

if this is your first time firing this gun PLEASE make sure the firing pin has been remove and cleaned so that it operates properly. These tend to get loaded full of crap and will cause problems if they are not taken care of.

If you need help on this cleaning process please let us know. Also you'll want to make sure the gas system has been cleaned well also. Esp if it is a M59/66 they tend to be super picky about their gas systems.

How to shoot your SKS for the first time (assuming you've cleaned it already)

1. Load 1 round into the mag(ONLY 1)
2. Point rifle in a safe direction (common sense but this is america cya)
3. Chamber round (let it fly home, this is a device of war not a toy)

If the round did not discharge while it was chambered you passed test number 1 and you dont have a slamfire problem, fire the round.

4. Load 2 rounds into the mag
5. Chamber the first around
6. Fire the first round, the second round should load itself and be waiting on you.

if the second around did not get chambered automagically you'll want to address the gas system. Either it is dirty or you have the gas valve turned the wrong way (m59/66)

if the round is chambered and fires itself right away you have some problems. I'd start at the firing pin and work my way from there.

If the round is sitting waiting for you, fire it and smile.

Load 10 rds, fire and repeat.

Enjoy!

Veritas_223
06-09-2006, 9:52 AM
"I have never used stripper clips with my SKSes. Loading the rifle is definitely easier than loading the damned clips."

Eehh..I have surplus Yugo and Chicom ammo that came on strippers. Don't have to load them. I also shoot Wolf, I sometime load up stripper clips while watching TUF or Lou Dobbs.

Strippers are the way the SKS is suppose to be loaded.

:)

OptionX3
06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
make sure you clean off all the cosmoline in case if you havent. bad things will happen if you dont. (ie. slam fire etc. )

Rob454
06-09-2006, 4:02 PM
I can load and fire 30 rounds through a sks about as fast as someone with a 30 round clip. I use stripper clips. I also bump fired my sks but you go through rounds too fast. i prefer the aim shoot aim shoot method.

Rob

xenophobe
06-09-2006, 4:08 PM
I have LOTS of stripper clips... I rarely use them. I'm usually not in a rush at the range... so loading them by hand is no big deal.

maxicon
06-09-2006, 4:25 PM
I usually hand load at the range too, but I'll bring 5-10 loaded strippers for the practice.

I keep 40 rounds on strippers in my SKS soft case and a hundred rounds more on strippers in a bag as a grab'n'go SHTF package.

max

x2delight
06-20-2006, 5:18 PM
yay...ok i went to the range.. easy as pie to load from the top. first time shooting the sks and it shot flawlessly.

now all i need to do is add a scope.. any ideas on a cheaper scope mount? i was thinking the tapco version since my whole sks is pretty much tapco.

thanks