PDA

View Full Version : Taking rebuilt Hi-Cap mags out of state for training?

dexterbase
10-21-2010, 4:17 PM
I have a bunch of USGI 30 round magazines that I own legally.

I want to rebuild them because I'm beginning to notice wear on the feed lips and I like the enhanced reliability of the Pmags.

Is it possible for me to buy Pmag rebuild kits anywhere?

If so, would it be a good idea to keep my old magazine bodies that are date stamped for pre-2000 in case I ever need to demonstrate that the magazines are truly rebuilds? (I know about the unenforceable law)

I searched this forum and found enough information to make me feel comfortable keeping them in my possession.

I need to travel out of state for training and I would like to be able to use my own magazines.

What are the current recommendations as far as bringing my rebuilt magazines back into California?

Since I already own them, perhaps they should just be disassembled when I bring them back?

Thanks ahead guys, this is a great group.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-21-2010, 4:19 PM
Yes check out 44mag.com

bwiese
10-21-2010, 4:49 PM
You're legal, but why you want PMags is beyond me.

USGI 30s work jes fine.

dieselpower
10-21-2010, 4:59 PM

USGI 30s work jes fine.

PMags are the new USGI

We are old men Bill...just let them have the magpuls

I still have some working Coopers, Adventure line and Sanchez mags around here somewhere.

dexterbase
10-21-2010, 5:06 PM

USGI 30s work jes fine.

USGIs are suspect without some reliability modifications. I've used them in combat and had them fail me in combat. Since replacing some of the followers with no-tilt versions, I've not experienced any feed problems with them.

I like the Polymer mags because I have destroyed USGI mags with one accidental boot application. I'm hoping the polymer will be more up to the kind of abuse I throw at them.

What I'm specifically interested in is the legality of bringing the rebuilt magazines back into the state.

Do I need to strip them down into rebuild kits?

Zachs300zx
10-21-2010, 5:11 PM
Just strip them down to rebuild kits and they are perfectly legal to bring back into the PRK.
You don't have to strip them down if they only hold 10 rounds or are legally owned preban, which sounds like your case. If you're flying I would just take them apart to be safe and avoid security problems.

thevic
10-21-2010, 5:12 PM
I think you can you buy a new large cap mag and you flatten out the original mag body (like steam rolled flat) and keep it as proof you fully "rebuilt" a legal mag you've owned before the restriction went in.

Am i incorrect?

G-forceJunkie
10-21-2010, 5:43 PM
Don't even have to do that. Just keep them in a box in your garage. No law says you can't keep broken parts around. Your technicaly rebuilding the broken mag...seems the body, follower, spring and base plate all wore out.I think you can you buy a new large cap mag and you flatten out the original mag body (like steam rolled flat) and keep it as proof you fully "rebuilt" a legal mag you've owned before the restriction went in.

Am i incorrect?

bwiese
10-21-2010, 6:18 PM
USGIs are suspect without some reliability modifications. I've used them in combat and had them fail me in combat. Since replacing some of the followers with no-tilt versions, I've not experienced any feed problems with them.

Good - with the no-tilt followers you're best off.

I like the Polymer mags because I have destroyed USGI mags with one accidental boot application. I'm hoping the polymer will be more up to the kind of abuse I throw at them.

I worry about lip cracking and degredation. I've had Orlite magazines and "Thermelts" and I'll take USGIs with new followers anyday.

What I'm specifically interested in is the legality of bringing the rebuilt magazines back into the state.

Do I need to strip them down into rebuild kits?

No. You are allowed to take hicap mags you owned/possessed in CA before 2000 outside CA and back in.

You are allowed also to repair your mags.

It may make sense to do the repair here before you leave just so you can say so.

GrizzlyGuy
10-21-2010, 6:50 PM
You're not required to disassemble them when you bring them back into the state after your training. You already lawfully possessed them in CA (whether repaired or not), you went out of state for a few days, and now you're bringing them back home. That's all legal and it's not importing (which would be illegal).

If it makes you feel better it is also OK to disassemble them or ship them home to yourself.

dexterbase
10-21-2010, 7:05 PM
Here's another interesting twist:

I would be stopped at the border with an AR (most likely half a dozen of them, now in their california legal configuration)

With my gear they would find a supply of 30 rounds magazines (which would later be determined as totally legal for me to possess.)

Twist: I do not own a rifle that is legally capable of using those magazines in California.

Would the fact that I had an AR, high-cap magazines capable of going into it, and do not on another rifle in which the magazines can be legally used in California, give some DA the idea that I had the intent to use those magazines in that rifle in California?

If they are not in the rifle, and I legally own them, I am not required to even own a rifle that they can fit in, correct?

I know that the best way to avoid hassle is to smile and say "Sir" or "Ma'am" to the agent at the inspection station, have current registration on the vehicle, and don't have any plants or animals in the car.

I'm just fast-forwarding to worst-case-scenario where there are agents digging through my gear and finding what is in there legally, then trying to charge me with something that will be a pain in the *** to defend.

the_quark
10-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Twist: I do not own a rifle that is legally capable of using those magazines in California.

Would the fact that I had an AR, high-cap magazines capable of going into it, and do not on another rifle in which the magazines can be legally used in California, give some DA the idea that I had the intent to use those magazines in that rifle in California?

I'm just fast-forwarding to worst-case-scenario where there are agents digging through my gear and finding what is in there legally, then trying to charge me with something that will be a pain in the *** to defend.

I'd be very surprised if you had a problem in this situation. A number of points:

First, there's no constructive possession, so they can't claim you're going to put a 30-rounder into a fixed mag rifle and make an assault weapon.

Second, there's no need for you to own rifles for magazines you own.

Third, there's no reason you couldn't take off your evil features and put a mag button on your ARs and use your thirty-rounders in them in California.

Fourth, explicitly, something a law-abiding citizen might do when having ARs that can't take 30-rounders, and 30-rounders, is go out of the state to shoot them where they're legal.

Kreature96
10-22-2010, 7:28 AM
You might want to invest in a 10 round magazine for each rifle and have that magazine in the bullet buttoned ARs when you enter the PRK. Thus it is a fixed 10rnd magazine rifle and there is then no issue for an uninformed LEO or DA to twist.