PDA

View Full Version : Home onwner shot intruder.

JRent54
10-21-2010, 4:16 PM
this is the article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_16390808?source=most_viewed

WTSGDYBBR
10-21-2010, 4:17 PM
w00t another one bites the dust. I hope the next time he breaks into someone house it is a head shot.

Bowers is a parolee. He was released on Oct. 12, and has a history of burglary, Richards said.

inbox485
10-21-2010, 4:19 PM
this is the article from the Santa Cruz Sentinel

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_16390808?source=most_viewed

Lesson of the day: Jerk the trigger and the bad guy doesn't stop.

SFgiants105
10-21-2010, 4:20 PM
Could have gone worse. Should have just opted for 12ga sandbags and shot him in the gut; He would not have gone anywhere. :cool:

Spanky8601
10-21-2010, 4:22 PM
I love it when a homeowner gets the better of the bad guy.:jump:

Havoc70
10-21-2010, 4:30 PM
Interesting that they aren't charging him, even though he fired at the suspect while in the car rummaging for something. Good call by the officers in my opinion.

nick
10-21-2010, 4:40 PM
A parolee, huh? Didn't take him long... Then again, the whole idea of parole and the way it's implemented is a joke.

RobG
10-21-2010, 4:41 PM
Interesting that they aren't charging him, even though he fired at the suspect while in the car rummaging for something. Good call by the officers in my opinion.

Just because the SD isn't "pursuing charges" does not mean the DA won't. Hopefully this is the end of it though and the good guy won.:thumbsup:

Dirt bag was out all of 6 days. Our justice system at its finest:rolleyes:

ZX-10R
10-21-2010, 4:41 PM
If this happens, what is the law against going for a head shot. I ask because if this were the case where the criminal knew that there were occupants in the house but still proceeded to get in then this guy is either mentally insane or just plain dumb. In a situation like this I would have looked at it as a criminal who definitely has no remorse or even second thoughts about what he is doing and IN KIND am prepared to go after him "for good"...I will admit that I do not EVER want to be in a situation like the shooter where someone is definitely wanting to come in and then still not leave as evident at the bad guy going back and "searching for something" in the car.

As a result I could only say after reading so many of these tales that I would rather shoot for finality than to regret later.

So what is the law regarding this kind of situation where one gets a "head shot"? Is one forced to shoot to incapacitate or shooting at a bad guy is "just shooting" to hit them.

Not sure on this.

jak77
10-21-2010, 4:42 PM
Good job homeowner, but he's lucky their not pressing charges for him shooting at the suspect when he was in his car.

Dr Rockso
10-21-2010, 4:51 PM
If this happens, what is the law against going for a head shot. I ask because if this were the case where the criminal knew that there were occupants in the house but still proceeded to get in then this guy is either mentally insane or just plain dumb. In a situation like this I would have looked at it as a criminal who definitely has no remorse or even second thoughts about what he is doing and IN KIND am prepared to go after him "for good"...I will admit that I do not EVER want to be in a situation like the shooter where someone is definitely wanting to come in and then still not leave as evident at the bad guy going back and "searching for something" in the car.

As a result I could only say after reading so many of these tales that I would rather shoot for finality than to regret later.

So what is the law regarding this kind of situation where one gets a "head shot"? Is one forced to shoot to incapacitate or shooting at a bad guy is "just shooting" to hit them.

Not sure on this.

Simply from a standpoint of tactical advantage there isn't a particularly good reason to take a head shot. You're more likely to miss, and unless your opponent is wearing body armor a center of mass shot is likely to be just as effective.

There is no legal concept of 'shoot to incapacitate'. Shooting at someone is lethal force, regardless of where they're hit. If someone has broken into your home you are presumed to be in fear for your life, and lethal force is justified. My guess is that the homeowner didn't intend to shoot him in the thigh.

Scott Connors
10-21-2010, 6:14 PM

The perp was not retreating, but appeared to be searching for a weapon, indicating that he still harbored evil intent against the homeowner. That justifies the homeowner busting a few more caps on his @#$ (although he also should bust a few more at the range, his marksmanship skills appear to be wanting [anyone think that he was aiming at the leg?]).

Scott Connors
10-21-2010, 6:18 PM
Simply from a standpoint of tactical advantage there isn't a particularly good reason to take a head shot. You're more likely to miss, and unless your opponent is wearing body armor a center of mass shot is likely to be just as effective.

There is no legal concept of 'shoot to incapacitate'. Shooting at someone is lethal force, regardless of where they're hit. If someone has broken into your home you are presumed to be in fear for your life, and lethal force is justified. My guess is that the homeowner didn't intend to shoot him in the thigh.

Mozambique drill: two shots center of mass, followed by one to the head. Guaranteed incapacitation of bad guy (justification: perp might be wearing body armor, two to the chest will momentarily stun, making head shot necessary).

advocatusdiaboli
10-21-2010, 8:39 PM
A parolee, huh? Didn't take him long... Then again, the whole idea of parole and the way it's implemented is a joke.

The way our system of justice works, parole is just extra lives in the perp's personal version of Grand Theft Auto played in your neighborhood.

inbox485
10-21-2010, 9:24 PM
[anyone think that he was aiming at the leg?]).

No. I'd say if he had any training at all he probably bought into the point shoot shtuf. More than likely he held the gun in the general direction, jerked the trigger and willed the bullets at the assailant. Some part of him was probably dumbfounded that the assailant didn't go flying like in the movies.

comblock
10-21-2010, 9:51 PM
bad move on the homeowner shooting at the badguy in the car. You shoot ONLY when you feel your life or someone else's life is being threatened. You can go from the victim to the aggressor. At the time he felt his life in danger, lethal force, I believe is justified self defense.

comblock
10-21-2010, 9:59 PM
Mozambique drill: two shots center of mass, followed by one to the head. Guaranteed incapacitation of bad guy (justification: perp might be wearing body armor, two to the chest will momentarily stun, making head shot necessary).

Failure to stop I think its also called. Good thing to practice in the range with pistol, shotgun and rifle. Get the whole motion into muscle memory. Slow at first, then fast and smooth. Mix in some quick reloading and knifework, assessment and scan dont assume there is only one threat. Great exercise.

inbox485
10-21-2010, 10:44 PM
bad move on the homeowner shooting at the badguy in the car. You shoot ONLY when you feel your life or someone else's life is being threatened. You can go from the victim to the aggressor. At the time he felt his life in danger, lethal force, I believe is justified self defense.

Dude has already been shot once, and instead of getting TFO, he is rummaging through his car. Something tells me he wasn't looking for daisies. Might not be the optimal story to defend in court, but the alternative is waiting to see what he pulls out.

Meplat
10-22-2010, 2:03 AM
You shoot to stop. Center mass. If you happen to hit him in the head? Oh well.

Repeat after me. I shot to stop. Center mass.

Not sure on this.