PDA

View Full Version : What body armor to buy?

BayAreaShooter
10-21-2010, 3:04 PM
Well to my surprise I just found out that a civilian in California can legally own body armor/Bullet proof vest. SOoOoOoOo my question is which body armor would be the best to get on A BUDGET. I know I know I should wait and save my money and get something better. I might do that. But in the mean time I was going to see if there where any recommendations on a vest for a guy on a budget, Also which one is better Kevlar or ceramic plates. I am basically looking for a body armor 101 on the whole situation, so if anyone wants to give me some knowledge it would be very much appreciated. thank you.

Toast
10-21-2010, 4:20 PM
I saw this armor at a SWAT meet I went to

http://armoredmobility.com/

I was REALLY impressed with the non steel hard armor, it was rated Level 3 (IIRC) and would stop everything except M855. It was EXTREMELY light, more then half as light as comparable ceramic/steel plates. They had a version with a steel plate that would stop M855 but it was a bit heavier.

I especially liked the armor laptop case :D , same level 3 armor but in a soft briefcase that you can sling across your chest. It would be the ultimate ccw mall ninja kit lol

Boone
10-21-2010, 6:33 PM
What are you trying to get out of the vest?
What are you trying to protect yourself from?
What are you going to use it for?

bigpappa0095
10-21-2010, 7:03 PM
What are you trying to get out of the vest?
What are you trying to protect yourself from?
What are you going to use it for?

protection, bullets, and protection...lol

BayAreaShooter
10-22-2010, 3:44 PM
protection, bullets, and protection...lol

YES exactly. :D

On a serious note it would be for peace of mind in case of a SHTF situation. I do not need it for a job and will not be wearing it on a daily basis. I will want it to have at least a level IIIA rating.

Boone
10-22-2010, 3:54 PM
Then just get a plate carrier, not need for soft armor.

BayAreaShooter
10-22-2010, 8:49 PM
Then just get a plate carrier, not need for soft armor.

How about something like this and I would just buy plates for it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE365-1.html

Boone
10-23-2010, 9:03 AM
Excuse my last post, drinking and posting don't mix. If you are trying to protect yourself from small calibers you are going to need soft armor. If you are just trying to protect against larger rounds, just get a plate carrier. I myself wouldn't get that vest for quite a few reasons. There is no warranty, it's made by a knock off china company and there is no soft armor in it. There is no soft armor made for it as well.

So if I were in your shoes, and wanted soft armor. I'd look into either a PACA, or find some used LEO cut body armor. You can buy BALCS cut armor all over the place but it isn't very cheap. If you get the "LEO cut" body armor I'd sent it to Vel-Tye and have them make a carrier around it. They do great custom work and usually isn't too expensive. This way you can have them add plate pockets to the vest or MOLLE attachments.

Another option I would look into is the PACA and getting one that allows plates to be inserted into it. Again, this wouldn't have any MOLLE attachments on the outside. But you could quickly throw on a chest rig over the top.

If you don't want soft armor and just plates. There are better options and you can probably dump the cummerbund and just get a front and back carrier.

Cali-Shooter
10-23-2010, 9:45 AM
Here is a level IIIa (stops all pistol calibers up to .44 magnum, and 9mm from submachinegun) vest for sale on gunbroker for only $200!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196660465

It doesn't look very "tacticool," but that could be advantageous if you don't want to draw attention to yourself by having a full-on military style armor vest.

Boone
10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I would not buy that without knowing how it was stored and the date of the soft armor.

BayAreaShooter
10-23-2010, 5:47 PM
Excuse my last post, drinking and posting don't mix. If you are trying to protect yourself from small calibers you are going to need soft armor. If you are just trying to protect against larger rounds, just get a plate carrier. I myself wouldn't get that vest for quite a few reasons. There is no warranty, it's made by a knock off china company and there is no soft armor in it. There is no soft armor made for it as well.

So if I were in your shoes, and wanted soft armor. I'd look into either a PACA, or find some used LEO cut body armor. You can buy BALCS cut armor all over the place but it isn't very cheap. If you get the "LEO cut" body armor I'd sent it to Vel-Tye and have them make a carrier around it. They do great custom work and usually isn't too expensive. This way you can have them add plate pockets to the vest or MOLLE attachments.

Another option I would look into is the PACA and getting one that allows plates to be inserted into it. Again, this wouldn't have any MOLLE attachments on the outside. But you could quickly throw on a chest rig over the top.

If you don't want soft armor and just plates. There are better options and you can probably dump the cummerbund and just get a front and back carrier.

Thank you very much for all the info. Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is "soft" armor. Is it just kevlar and not ceramic or steel plates.

Boone
10-24-2010, 9:01 AM
Correct, soft armor a what a lot of LEO wear, as well as the "meat" of the military vests. You'd need plates if you are expecting larger rounds up to but not limited to 7.62.

BayAreaShooter
10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Correct, soft armor a what a lot of LEO wear, as well as the "meat" of the military vests. You'd need plates if you are expecting larger rounds up to but not limited to 7.62.

Thank you for the clarification.

Omega13device
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Also there are plates that are designed to be worn on their own, and others that are designed to be worn in conjunction with soft armor.

FeuerFrei
10-25-2010, 7:56 AM
http://www.bulletproofme.com/

http://www.bulletblocker.com/

http://www.keepshooting.com/selfdefense/bulletproof-vest/iiia_bodyarmor_vests.htm