PDA

View Full Version : Sac County Gun Owners, APPLY FOR CCW TODAY!

Write Winger
10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I heard Sheriff John McGinness on Armstrong and Getty this morning saying the only reason CCWs are hardly given in Sac Country is because nobody applies! So, let's apply!

Listen to the podcast at:
http://www.kste.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=armandgettypodcast.xml

Jack really corners him on the issue. I was pleasantly surprised. Let's give him some real numbers, folks.

Flintlock Tom
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I suspect, in Sacramento, as in San Diego, applicants are "pre-screened". Based on the pre-screening, applicants are told they would not qualify "so don't bother applying".
So if applicants don't apply because they are told they would not qualify, the Sheriff can honestly say "no one applies".

Finally, an "honest" politician.

Gray Peterson
10-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I suspect, in Sacramento, as in San Diego, applicants are "pre-screened". Based on the pre-screening, applicants are told they would not qualify "so don't bother applying".
So if applicants don't apply because they are told they would not qualify, the Sheriff can honestly say "no one applies".

Finally, an "honest" politician.

Not happening in Sacramento, Flintlock Tom.

thebronze
10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Not happening in Sacramento, Flintlock Tom.

Not any more...

Paladin
10-21-2010, 1:32 PM
start w/post #8:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=307543

Sacto is now "virtual" Shall Issue.

Paladin
10-21-2010, 1:37 PM
I guess someone has to do it: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=354837

These could be consolidated.

bruss01
10-21-2010, 1:38 PM
I don't know why McGinnis would bother to respond at all... after all, he's only sheriff for a few more days either way. He is set to ride off into the sunset. But, he says apply so let's apply.

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 1:59 PM
I don't know why McGinnis would bother to respond at all... after all, he's only sheriff for a few more days either way. He is set to ride off into the sunset. But, he says apply so let's apply.

What were you waiting for?

Lone_Gunman
10-21-2010, 4:42 PM
Go apply. I applied on 8/5, got my approval letter Saturday, did my prints today, and have my training class schedule. I expect to be carrying before Christmas. Get on it and you can be carrying before Valentines Day.

"I want to carry a firearm to protect my self and my family" was the good cause for me.

NoJoke
10-21-2010, 5:31 PM
Go apply. I applied on 8/5, got my approval letter Saturday, did my prints today, and have my training class schedule. I expect to be carrying before Christmas. Get on it and you can be carrying before Valentines Day.

"I want to carry a firearm to protect my self and my family" was the good cause for me.

WOW! That's great news!
Hope San Diego follows suit. :D

downfall
10-21-2010, 7:13 PM
Can I apply for a CCW in the county I work in even if it is not the county I live in?

Havoc70
10-21-2010, 7:47 PM
Can I apply for a CCW in the county I work in even if it is not the county I live in?

Yah, but they're only good for 90 days.

Citizen 14
10-21-2010, 7:52 PM

Did you get your one million dollar insurance policy yet?:D Oh wait, that's my county. :(

Andy Taylor
10-21-2010, 8:18 PM

yes, but the permit is only good for 90 days. It will take longer to get the permit than it will be valid.

dantodd
10-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Did you get your one million dollar insurance policy yet?:D Oh wait, that's my county. :(

:gene:

Gofasterdammit
10-21-2010, 9:46 PM
I contacted Sac SO, the next available appointment to drop off the application is in January. Does this sound right to anyone?

thebronze
10-21-2010, 9:55 PM
I contacted Sac SO, the next available appointment to drop off the application is in January. Does this sound right to anyone?

Pretty much.

luckystrike
10-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I guess someone has to do it: :dupe: :dupe: :dupe:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=354837

These could be consolidated.

thanks you so much for posting 3, I didnt notice the first 2.

the_quark
10-22-2010, 12:14 AM
thanks you so much for posting 3, I didnt notice the first 2.

I kinda like it. It's like an honor guard.

bruss01
10-22-2010, 7:42 AM
What were you waiting for?

My appointment which is on the 28th... already got the paperwork filled out weeks ago, but they make you wait for an appointment to turn it in live and in person.

Bret Daniels
10-22-2010, 9:29 AM

That sounds more like "Stall Issue" instead of "Shall Issue".

putput
10-22-2010, 9:38 AM
Let's see, there's a lawsuit at the courthouse now and there's a sherrif that says he's about to make an announcement about it and all of a sudden you have to get in a line to even get an appointment to see the sherrif about a ccw and I'm guessing the training courses are full as well.

I wonder what ever could be going on... :43:

Gray Peterson
10-22-2010, 9:40 AM

Agreed, which is Sheriff McGinness' fault and no one elses. A lot of folks want to blame a person running for sheriff, but what is that old adage:

"You can delegate the task, but you cannot delegate the responsibility".

Gray Peterson
10-22-2010, 9:47 AM
Let's see, there's a lawsuit at the courthouse now and there's a sherrif that says he's about to make an announcement about it and all of a sudden you have to get in a line to even get an appointment to see the sherrif about a ccw and I'm guessing the training courses are full as well.

I wonder what ever could be going on... :43:

There is no approved instructors list. PM jb0776 for more detail, but it's sort of hilarious.

thebronze
10-22-2010, 9:57 AM
SSD is about to get SPANKED by Ms. Sykes, et al.!

putput
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I just tracked down the jist from the other threads. Thanks for the tip.

What can I say but, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!:rofl2:

There is no approved instructors list. PM jb0776 for more detail, but it's sort of hilarious.

Kharn
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Why wait for an appointment? Has anyone tried submitting the application by registered mail?

DGoodale
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Really, No approved instructors list? Can I just train myself and write my own certification?

Gray Peterson
10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Really, No approved instructors list? Can I just train myself and write my own certification?

No, there's more to it than that. Follow my instructions and PM JB.

Barabas
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Hmm. Are the employees of an FFL authorized to give the HSC test or is it the FFL holder?

thebronze
10-25-2010, 1:51 PM
Second Amendment Rights Are Reaffirmed After Sacramento County Sheriff's Office Changes Carry License Policies Say Gun Rights Organizations
Case Continues Against Yolo County to Secure Right to Self-Defense

Bellevue, WA and San Carlos, CA (October 25, 2010) - The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and the Calguns Foundation have dismissed their case against Sacramento County, California and its Sheriff, John McGinness, after the Sheriff modified his handgun carry permitting policy. Law-abiding Sacramento County residents may now successfully apply for permits to carry handguns by asserting self-defense as a basis for carry permit issuance. A one-year residency requirement has been eliminated, as has policy language that tied self-defense to arbitrary geographic factors.

While Sacramento County has changed its policies, other counties still fail to recognize that self-defense is a legally sufficient reason for issuance of a handgun carry permit. The litigation will continue against Yolo County and its Sheriff, Ed Prieto, on behalf of SAF, Calguns, and Davis resident Adam Richards. Additionally, this past March, Calguns supporter Brett Stewart unsuccessfully asserted self-defense as a basis for seeking a carrying license from Sheriff Prieto . The Sheriff’s written policy states that “self protection and protection of family (without credible threats of violence)” are insufficient reasons to exercise Second Amendment rights. Mr. Stewart will seek to join the litigation as a plaintiff in this case, now styled Richards v. Prieto.

“We are very happy to have been able to work with Sheriff McGinness to assist Sacramento County in revising their policies and practices,” said Gene Hoffman, Chairman of the Calguns Foundation. “Over the past year, more than 30 of our law abiding members and supporters have received licenses to carry firearms with ‘good cause’ statements that are simple variations of self-defense. Even though the Sheriff is retiring at the end of the year, both candidates to replace Sheriff McGinness have publicly stated their support for Second Amendment rights and that they consider self-defense a compelling reason for issuance of gun carry permit.”

“The Second Amendment Foundation will continue working with the Calguns Foundation and keep funding attorney Alan Gura’s lawsuits in California until everyone’s firearms civil rights are fully protected,” added SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “Together, we will see many more legal victories.”

For those who wish to apply for a CCW permit, the Calguns Foundation maintains an informational portal to assist applicants in all 58 California counties as part of its recently announced Carry Licensing Compliance and Sunshine Initiative. The Sacramento County page has details on the actual procedure and successful good cause statements and is available at http://bit.ly/CGFSacCarry

Sheriff Turkey-Neck: "We'll be having an announcement on that soon. We're going to win that."

Sorry, John, capitulating and settling a lawsuit is not winning.

Toldja! Sheriff Turkey-Neck is a bald-faced liar.

Kingsman
10-25-2010, 5:33 PM
I hope LA county is next

Flintlock Tom
10-27-2010, 3:53 PM
This part
A one-year residency requirement has been eliminated
raises a question for me.
What's the new residency requirement?

wildhawker
10-27-2010, 4:09 PM
This part

raises a question for me.
What's the new residency requirement?

If you reside in Sacto, go apply.

Gray Peterson
10-27-2010, 4:33 PM

You in San Mateo or Alameda, Citizen 14?

jcardona1
10-27-2010, 4:40 PM
Can somebody shed some light on on the good cause statement? There's a page for it in the application, but the memo from the Sheriff says this should be on a seperate page (memo dated in '09).

Also, the CGF information page says we choose one and use it as our statement. Is it as simple as this one sentence? Or do we write a paragraph? Essay? Thesis? Documentary? ;)

Known Accepted Good Cause Statements:

Choose one as appropriate:

•I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family.
•I wish to carry a firearm for self defense.

thebronze
10-27-2010, 4:42 PM
Can somebody shed some light on on the good cause statement? There's a page for it in the application, but the memo from the Sheriff says this should be on a seperate page (memo dated in '09).

Also, the CGF information page says we choose one and use it as our statement. Is it as simple as this one sentence? Or do we write a paragraph? Essay? Thesis? Documentary? ;)

Don't make it harder than it is. RTFQ/FTFD.

jcardona1
10-27-2010, 4:43 PM
Hmm, I think I found my answer. So now my question is, do I still include this on a seperate page? Seems rather silly when it's just one sentence:

5. What do I write on my Sacramento app for good cause?

There are two good cause statements on the calgunsfoundation.org Sacramento page (linked handily in the OP...) that we know have been issued against. Just use the one sentence. Please don't over think it.

-Gene

wildhawker
10-27-2010, 4:58 PM
Hmm, I think I found my answer. So now my question is, do I still include this on a seperate page? Seems rather silly when it's just one sentence:

Sacto doesn't like the Good Cause statement on a document which we can request via public records. They think the "other" page is exempt, and they are incorrect.

Just use the one sentence please. It's really not difficult and you should not create problems where none exist.

jcardona1
10-27-2010, 5:06 PM
Sacto doesn't like the Good Cause statement on a document which we can request via public records. They think the "other" page is exempt, and they are incorrect.

Just use the one sentence please. It's really not difficult and you should not create problems where none exist.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had the correct information before I submit this. The answers to these things are scattered throught countless posts/threads so it's hard to keep up with everything that is discussed as I don't spend a ton of time here.

wildhawker
10-27-2010, 5:11 PM
That's why you can just go to one place for all your carry news: www.gotcarry.org (also linked by www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry and www.gotccw.org)

tiko
10-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I got my appointment today, for 2-3-11

thebronze
10-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I got my appointment today, for 2-3-11

Holy sh*t!

Markus
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
any idea on when they are going to do orange county?

dantodd
10-27-2010, 11:27 PM
any idea on when they are going to do orange county?

This (http://www.cgfstore.org/product/orange-county-ccw-initiative-sponsorship) is a good place to start.

dumpsterdiver
10-28-2010, 12:01 AM
so if you have a misdemeanor, even from 15+ years ago, then you shouldn't bother applying?

thebronze
10-28-2010, 12:05 AM
so if you have a misdemeanor, even from 15+ years ago, then you shouldn't bother applying?

Just apply.

What do you have to lose? $20 and some time. That's it.

negolien
10-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Sure that's the only reason lol .. I got some land here that's for sale if you're interested too has a nice Redish bridge that comes free.

thebronze
10-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Sure that's the only reason lol .. I got some land here that's for sale if you're interested too has a nice Redish bridge that comes free.

Huh?

Markus
10-29-2010, 2:05 AM
This (http://www.cgfstore.org/product/orange-county-ccw-initiative-sponsorship) is a good place to start.

Page not found

wildhawker
10-29-2010, 2:29 AM
Page not found

Here's a working link (http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carry-license-reform-sunshine-initiative-credited-county-sponsorship).