PDA

View Full Version : Firearms and apartment living

jimbob2262
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I recently moved in a condo that I rent here in CA and purchased a pistol from a fellow Calgunner. I had the seller mail it to my local FFL with the appropriate paperwork. When I went in to fill out my end of the paperwork, my FFL said that there is an issue with the fact that I live in an apartment/condo building (is there a difference?) and that he could not DROS the pistol for me. Wash he correct? I have not found anything that denies people living in apartment buildings/condos from owning or buying pistols. BTW, there is nothing in my lease that prohibits ownership and possession of any firearms.

Thoughts?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Is it possible that you misunderstood what your FFL was saying?

BayAreaShooter
10-20-2010, 11:59 PM
I have once heard on a forum (cant remember which one) that the apartment complex would not let a gun owner move in with his/her firearms. In your case if nothing is written in the contract prohibiting you than you should be good to go. i would call your FFL and find out exactly what his reasoning is for not releasing the firearm to you and go from there.

jtmkinsd
10-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I recently moved in a condo that I rent here in CA and purchased a pistol from a fellow Calgunner. I had the seller mail it to my local FFL with the appropriate paperwork. When I went in to fill out my end of the paperwork, my FFL said that there is an issue with the fact that I live in an apartment/condo building (is there a difference?) and that he could not DROS the pistol for me. Wash he correct? I have not found anything that denies people living in apartment buildings/condos from owning or buying pistols. BTW, there is nothing in my lease that prohibits ownership and possession of any firearms.

Thoughts?

Something sounds odd here. There should be no problem DROSing a firearm for you. There is nothing in the law which prohibits apartment/condo dwellers from owning firearms (I honestly have never heard of anyone even putting a restriction like that in a lease/rental agreement). As an FFL I wouldn't need to see your agreement unless you were using it for proof of address...so how would I even know if it is prohibited in the agreement? But in any case, in answer to your question...with the set of facts you gave, no...he was not correct, and should have processed your transfer.

blakdawg
10-21-2010, 12:34 AM
There's no restriction in CA law which would prevent you from owning certain firearms as a result of living in a condo or apartment.

Besides, why assume you're going to keep the gun at home, or that you only have one home? Maybe your condo is your residence, legally, but you spend weekends on your rural property.

glockman19
10-21-2010, 8:49 AM
?....find another FFL.

halifax
10-21-2010, 9:15 AM
Doesn't sound right. Maybe he is just hung-up on the utility bill thing as POR. What were you offering as POR.

ZX-10R
10-21-2010, 9:18 AM
Yeah there should not be any issue at all. That is nuts.

jimbob2262
10-22-2010, 1:07 AM
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to have him call DOJ and prove that he must be mistaken, or find a new FFL

dlouie87
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Maybe Matching address on the DL? idk... you should be fine living in a apt and purchasing a gun.

norcal240
10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
That's bull.
I live in a apt and haven't had a problem.

BANG BANG
11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Doesn't make sense to me at all ??

aGunForEachHand
11-04-2010, 7:00 AM
I lived in an apartment and bought several firearms while there. This is BS.

OCArmory
11-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Hell I live in an apartment and own a gun store. There are no restrictions. I would maybe ask for some clarification it sounds like a misunderstanding.
Mike