PDA

View Full Version : Process to acquire Shotgun?

Kingsman
10-20-2010, 9:32 PM
Hello,

I recently decided to get myself a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. One of these three choices basically. From what I gathered, what I need to do to acquire a shotgun is to go to the store, buy the firearm, and wait ten days. I have checked for what would exclude me from receiving a firearm and I pass. Sorry if this question seems noobish, I am a careful person and like to double check things to make sure I get them correct.

Thanks in advance.

socal2310
10-20-2010, 9:37 PM
Hello,

I recently decided to get myself a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. One of these three choices basically. From what I gathered, what I need to do to acquire a shotgun is to go to the store, buy the firearm, and wait ten days. I have checked for what would exclude me from receiving a firearm and I pass. Sorry if this question seems noobish, I am a careful person and like to double check things to make sure I get them correct.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

OleCuss
Enjoy your new shotty! With a clean record you really should have no problem with your planned course of action. Remember to bring ID with you.

thy95
Go to gun store say I want that shotgun. Give them your id, sign some paper, pay them, and come back in ten days if you dont have no criminal record.

IntoForever
That's all I did.

ZirconJohn
10-20-2010, 9:39 PM
One more thing... don't say 'shotty' to the guy behind the counter :D

Kingsman
10-20-2010, 9:40 PM
I got ID so it should all be smooth sailing. I figure I should ask here instead of making another topic:

I live in Carson(LA County), anyone know of a store other than Big 5 that I can buy a firearm from?

One more thing... don't say 'shotty' to the guy behind the counter :D

Haha of course, I'll make sure to say the model name instead.

otalps
10-20-2010, 9:42 PM
Turners. There are a couple near you.

rp55
10-20-2010, 9:44 PM
If you can be patient, wait until one of the Bloody Decks coupons for Big 5 that's good on firearms shows up in the Commercial Good Deals forums and buy it at Big 5. Be your best deal on either of those.

Kingsman
10-20-2010, 9:50 PM
Thank you all for your help.

If you can be patient, wait until one of the Bloody Decks coupons for Big 5 that's good on firearms shows up in the Commercial Good Deals forums and buy it at Big 5. Be your best deal on either of those.

Nice, when do they usually pop up?

EDIT: Is this it?

http://www.bloodydecks.com/big5promo/Bloody-Decks-Coupon-rev.jpg

Expires Saturday! I better get there before then

EDIT2: Fine print says firearms are excluded. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

HowardW56
10-20-2010, 9:56 PM
I got ID so it should all be smooth sailing. I figure I should ask here instead of making another topic:

I live in Carson(LA County), anyone know of a store other than Big 5 that I can buy a firearm from?

Haha of course, I'll make sure to say the model name instead.

SHarpshooter in Torrance is close, Turners in Signal Hill or Redondo Beach.

I'm not a big fan of Turners, but if you sign up on there website for the weekly ads, they have have some decent deals...

oogway
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Wait for black Friday price, you won't be disappointed.

SupraMiggs
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Proof of residence is not needed for Shotguns and Rifles?

ke6guj
10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Proof of residence is not needed for Shotguns and Rifles?

as long as your CA ID/DL has your current address on it, no POR is needed. If your ID/DL doesn't have your current address on it, then you do need POR that meets the federal requirements.

Mongoblack23
10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
turners will ask for a proof of residence with a long gun as well as handgun, or at least they did when i bought a winchester 94, ppt. asked them why i needed it with a long guns, said it was store policy.... thats was one in orange...

ke6guj
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I've bought long guns from Turners and don't ever recall them asking for POR, but my address on my CA DL is the same as what I write on the 4473.

target
10-21-2010, 11:09 PM
that's the first time i ever heard of NOT asking for por when buying a long gun. every time i buy a long gun anywhere they always tell me to bring my por along with ca dl.

Citizen 14
10-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Thank you all for your help.

Nice, when do they usually pop up?

EDIT: Is this it?

http://www.bloodydecks.com/big5promo/Bloody-Decks-Coupon-rev.jpg

Expires Saturday! I better get there before then

EDIT2: Fine print says firearms are excluded. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Just an FYI, Big5 will make you wait 11 days to pick up your shotgun. That's how long they made me wait. Congrats on your new purchase.

otalps
10-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Just an FYI, Big5 will make you wait 11 days to pick up your shotgun. That's how long they made me wait. Congrats on your new purchase.

You're lucky. My last purchase from them was over 30 days wait. It was a consignment and I blame CA but still.

Kingsman
10-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Proof of Residence? So I should bring a bill with me or what do they accept as POR?

socalphoto
10-22-2010, 1:06 AM
If you can swing it, get a Knoxx stock on an 870. I got mine 3 months ago and I love it! Purchased from Turner's (Orange). I was not asked for POR. Address on your DL must match your current residence though.

Kingsman
10-22-2010, 1:14 AM
If you can swing it, get a Knoxx stock on an 870. I got mine 3 months ago and I love it! Purchased from Turner's (Orange). I was not asked for POR. Address on your DL must match your current residence though.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/4_fV1hzqCLLQkr85PwFRttKkGkPFP-FePyb4cSrpCfr-2uKesqsai1HnBpc8kNgYrA0_Ugylq3OxKmeSn7TvP3kKUjR2c_ 2lhpGCLFTXtLpvmN6aFPu-wU6l9dEj60mofmsWSze-MurQrZhrUXxsK2pQ5My9tQ9I2Gw

????
This it?