PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Question

BlackSoldier
10-20-2010, 6:38 PM
Hello everyone...I have a question that I would like answered by members of the forum. Here goes..

Whenever I go shooting, I go to an authorized shooting area far out in the desert or to another one that's about 400 meters off a main road. Now here is my question, Is it OK to have my pistol on my hip in a holster while I check targets etc...and if so does it have to be in full view or is it OK if my shirt covers it. Thanks for answering my question. Its just that I want to be sure that I am not doing anything illegal if some sort of law enforcement may stop by etc.

Cokebottle
10-20-2010, 6:53 PM
Loaded Open Carry is legal if you are in unincorporated county territory where shooting is not otherwise prohibited.

IE: If you won't get into trouble for shooting there, then you won't get in trouble for an unconcealed loaded handgun.

bussda
10-20-2010, 6:54 PM
Keep it unloaded and in full view and you will be unloaded open carry (UOC). Read up on it and law enforcement interactions. Do a search on UOC.

Honeydos
10-20-2010, 7:00 PM
If both are authorized shooting areas, you should be fine to loaded open carry, not concealed.

inbox485
10-20-2010, 8:15 PM
If you are in legal shooting areas, you not only can, but you always should have a loaded gun. Concealed would be a no-no in general. There is a type of range mugging that happens where POS's wait until somebody shoots a gun gun dry and then pull a loaded gun on them or just try to go hands on. I've read about attempts to do this that were stopped when the dirtbags realized the gun was still loaded. I personally never shoot the last magazine and try to keep a spare mag with SD ammo in my back pocket. I am also extra observant when coming or going to make sure no shenanigans are going on. Problem is in CA, even if you have a CCW, most here don't, and guys looking to steal a gun in shooting areas will look for opportunities when a non-ccw person would not legally be loaded.

Cokebottle
10-20-2010, 8:30 PM
If you are in legal shooting areas, you not only can, but you always should have a loaded gun. Concealed would be a no-no in general. There is a type of range mugging that happens where POS's wait until somebody shoots a gun gun dry and then pull a loaded gun on them or just try to go hands on. I've read about attempts to do this that were stopped when the dirtbags realized the gun was still loaded. I personally never shoot the last magazine and try to keep a spare mag with SD ammo in my back pocket. I am also extra observant when coming or going to make sure no shenanigans are going on. Problem is in CA, even if you have a CCW, most here don't, and guys looking to steal a gun in shooting areas will look for opportunities when a non-ccw person would not legally be loaded.
I see you are familiar with the "old" Lytle Creek "range" :D

inbox485
10-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Heard stories from there, Bee Canyon (back when drunks with full autos were common), as well as commercial indoor ranges. Contrary to NRA bumper sticker mentality, ranges are not safe places. You have valuable items that criminals can only get through black market channels and their longevity goes way up if they secure a gun or two. Any one of them won't bat an eye if you die in the process.

BlackSoldier
10-21-2010, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the information gentlemen. Like I said, just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. Thanks inbox485, I will definitely keep that in mind. One of the shooting areas is way out in the desert so I get a bit nervous at times when I go there to shoot even though I always go there with at least 4 other shooters. Thanks again...

mej16489
10-22-2010, 3:33 PM

Or the old Kentucky Range...

MasterYong
10-22-2010, 4:27 PM

I follow this same practice whenever shooting out "in the wild."

At manned ranges I don't worry so much, as locally the manned ranges are pretty cool and the rangemasters are all packing CCW.

I hadn't ever heard of this actually happening, it just always made me feel uncomfortable to be out in the middle of nowhere, by myself or with one other person, with guns that aren't loaded. When I'm shooting a rifle a handgun is always loaded on my hip, and when shooting a handgun I always have another handgun loaded on my hip. If I want to practice drawing I have a friend with me who I make sure is loaded before I begin drills.

inbox485
10-22-2010, 6:30 PM
I follow this same practice whenever shooting out "in the wild."

At manned ranges I don't worry so much, as locally the manned ranges are pretty cool and the rangemasters are all packing CCW.

I hadn't ever heard of this actually happening, it just always made me feel uncomfortable to be out in the middle of nowhere, by myself or with one other person, with guns that aren't loaded. When I'm shooting a rifle a handgun is always loaded on my hip, and when shooting a handgun I always have another handgun loaded on my hip. If I want to practice drawing I have a friend with me who I make sure is loaded before I begin drills.

I've never heard of it being successful, but I've heard of enough attempts, I can't imagine they were all failures. I live by the armed buddy system. Not only does it give you viable odds of defense, it makes the odds of an attempt next to zero.