PDA

View Full Version : Socal Calguns Get Together?

JaeFern
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I was just wondering if it would be dumb to suggest a calguns.net "event" of some sort. I was thinking that those of us from southern california could set up a weekend or day to head to a BLM area and do some camping and shooting. I know it would be awkward having a bunch of "strangers" getting together like this. But I feel that we're all pretty much civil and all have a common hobby. It's a chance to meet fellow shooters and gives us a chance to enjoy the sport we all love, shooting. Would this be too farfetched? It's just a suggestion, but I am willing to do something like this if more people are. We could also do something like rent out a range or something for us all to hang out, shoot and show off all our "cali legal" guns. I'd appreciate anyone's input on this. Would you be willing to do something like this? Do you have any better ideas for an event like this? I'm not setting it up right now or anything. I just want some feedback on the idea. I'll talk with admin before I actually set something up. Also, Norcal calguns members could set something up for themselves too. Please feel free to throw suggestions out there. Thanks everyone.

maschronic
06-07-2006, 11:36 PM
JF,

i'm down!!! i think it would be a lot of fun to get people together and plank away!!!

JaeFern
06-07-2006, 11:50 PM
JF,

i'm down!!! i think it would be a lot of fun to get people together and plank away!!!
Cool. Good to hear. If we can get some more calguns.netters to want to do this I'll talk to admin about it so we can start planning.

maschronic
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

EBWhite
06-08-2006, 3:13 AM
On a good weekend i'd be up for something

50 Shooter
06-08-2006, 3:23 AM
We shoot the 3rd Sunday of every month at Angeles Range. The 18th is just around the corner.

JPglee1
06-08-2006, 7:05 AM
I think we should do it out in the BLM land in the High Dez... LOTS of open room, no LEO to harrass us... good backstops, lots of distance for targets...

JP

JaeFern
06-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I think we should do it out in the BLM land in the High Dez... LOTS of open room, no LEO to harrass us... good backstops, lots of distance for targets...

JP
That sounds like a good idea too. Any suggestions on a particular BLM spot in the dez?

Moonclip
06-08-2006, 2:24 PM
Some of the people from thehighroad.org are also members of this site and stage shoots at San Gabriel Valley Gun Club from time to time.

rssslvr
06-08-2006, 2:28 PM
I would be intersted as well

JPglee1
06-08-2006, 2:32 PM
That sounds like a good idea too. Any suggestions on a particular BLM spot in the dez?

I like the shooting area right off of Hwy 247 (Barstow Rd) near the powerlines on the EAST side of the highway...

There's a BLM office off of 247, they supply maps showing the OK areas, its REALLY easy to get to, even in a car and its close to a highway and reasonably close to a hospital if there's a problem.

Its super easy to get to from any part of SoCal via freeways...

Its super ungodly hot out there after 11AM however hahaha... I'd like to wait till September to do it in the dez, unless y'all don't mind the heat (I don't)

Oh and about 1/2 mile away is a cool little rustic offroader tavern called the Slash X we can grab a cold one when done shooting for the day.

JP

maschronic
06-08-2006, 2:50 PM
I like the shooting area right off of Hwy 247 (Barstow Rd) near the powerlines on the EAST side of the highway...

There's a BLM office off of 247, they supply maps showing the OK areas, its REALLY easy to get to, even in a car and its close to a highway and reasonably close to a hospital if there's a problem.

Its super ungodly hot out there after 11AM however hahaha... I'd like to wait till September to do it in the dez, unless y'all don't mind the heat (I don't)

Oh and about 1/2 mile away is a cool little rustic offroader tavern called the Slash X we can grab a cold one when done shooting for the day.

JP

+1 for JP

i second JP's motion!!!!!!! i never mind the heat. a cold one goes really good afterwards.

olegk
06-08-2006, 2:54 PM

JP

I am in for that.

glen avon
06-08-2006, 4:29 PM
ya what the hey. but up by bishop would be cooler.

underground city, anybody?

jmlivingston
06-08-2006, 5:18 PM
Aahh..... Bishop. I love that little town! And Lone Pine, and Independence, and Big Pine, and and and........ :D

But whew, what a drive just for some shooting time!

John

glen avon
06-08-2006, 5:30 PM
it would have to be an overnighter

maschronic
06-08-2006, 6:16 PM
Aahh..... Bishop. I love that little town! And Lone Pine, and Independence, and Big Pine, and and and........ :D

But whew, what a drive just for some shooting time!

John

me too. im heading out towards that way. infact, i'll be passing thru Bishop. I'm heading to Mono Village for my annual backpacking trip to tamarack lake. I love that place.

jmlivingston
06-08-2006, 6:55 PM
me too. im heading out towards that way. infact, i'll be passing thru Bishop. I'm heading to Mono Village for my annual backpacking trip to tamarack lake. I love that place.

Lucky you! I grew up in the OV, now I live in MV. I'll take that O over the M any day...

With a tad of luck I'll get drawn for a deer tag up there for hunting season, and I'll be heading up on a few scouting trips and fishing trips before then.

John
Now residing in Mission Viejo but once lived happily in the Owens Valley....

markymark
06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd like to go with you guys but I work on Saturdays. :(

JaeFern
06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Cool. It looks like we're getting decent feedback. I'm up for it even if theres only 5 or so of us. Although, the more the merrier. Imagine if at least 20-30 of us went? It would definitely be an interesting time. Would we be attracting too much attention though? I'll talk to admin to see what's up but in the mean time, it looks like some desert action. Bishop is a little far out there for me (living in San Diego.) But out towards barstow is doable for me. I'm willing to do an overnighter. maybe leave fri night until sunday afternoon or so. Any other ideas? I want if possible to find a decent meeting spot so more people from different areas of socal can make it.

AS45-70
06-08-2006, 10:25 PM

JP

Im heading there this 24th or 25th, i just have to see what my friends schedules are and pick either Sat or Sun. I havent been here yet but it was mentioned in another post.

JaeFern
06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
would everyone be ok with the desert thing?

olegk
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Im heading there this 24th or 25th, i just have to see what my friends schedules are and pick either Sat or Sun. I havent been here yet but it was mentioned in another post.
I am planning those days to. Probably very early morning till noon. Get beer after the shooting, clean arms and head home in the evening

JaeFern
06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
What weekend of july or august or even september would anyone suggest? Even if we plan something for july, we can also start to think ahead for another one in september too when its a bit cooler.

maschronic
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
JF,

I think the desert is the best idea. i think it would be kewl to meet early in the morning, shoot, eat lunch, drink beers, clean guns and go home. i also wouldn't mind staying the night and shoot a little more and leave the next day. :D

rssslvr
06-09-2006, 9:19 AM
The desert sounds good to me.I live in the desert and am not far from the 247:)

maschronic
06-09-2006, 9:51 AM
The desert sounds good to me.I live in the desert and am not far from the 247:)

for this trip, i would be jealous of you rssslvr!!!

rssslvr
06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I am about 50-60 miles from Barstow but am right off of the 247 and the 247 is a 2 lane road through the middle of no where.I could be there in 45 min tops

JPglee1
06-09-2006, 10:14 AM
.I live in the desert and am not far from the 247:)

Same here...45 mins to the spot, TOPS...and thats if I drive slow and stop for beef jerkey ;)

JP

rssslvr
06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Beef jerky.Is there one of those roadside jerky stands along the way?I will definetly have to stop there:) I could almost shoot in my back yard but I don't think the couple neighbors I do have would apperiate it.Miles of nothing where I am at.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/favorate/HPIM1807.jpg

rmeyer
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
As long as it can be done July or later i'd be up for going.

Lethal_Addict
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I'd be in...

rssslvr
06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
cool moving targets:D

El Barto
06-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm up for it as long as it isn't tooo hot. I may have to overnight somewhere, anything close by?

rssslvr
06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
If we are talking July its gonna be pretty hot

JPglee1
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
It would be better to have everyone come up and crash out the night before, then get up at the butt-crack of dawn and go shooting...

No wind that way either and nice and cool until noon or so.

You flatlanders from the valleys and beaches will prolly think its hot at 6am anyway haha.

It could be a blast (pun intended) we need to think of shade and stuff...

EZ-UPs are a requirement.

If this really DOES happen, Ill even bring my POS 9mm carbine out so we can try to break it :)

JP

JaeFern
06-09-2006, 8:18 PM
jp, rsss, you guys know of any place close by there (by the BLM area you guys spoke of) that the rest of us, who are traveling quite far, could crash night before?

JaeFern
06-09-2006, 8:20 PM
Would anyone wanna suggest doing a ammo group buy and have it shipped to one of the guys who live on 247? Just a suggestion. Oh, and admin OKed us planning this event but this thread might move to the the general gun discussions area.

maschronic
06-09-2006, 8:20 PM
why couldn't you just put up a tent on teh shooting spot? that way, we stake our spot. :)

JaeFern
06-09-2006, 8:45 PM
Hows the temp out there at night? I plan on staying a while so I may stay overnight in a tent or truck pending weather permitting.

rssslvr
06-10-2006, 7:14 AM
at night the temp aint bad

JPglee1
06-10-2006, 8:09 AM
at night the temp aint bad

Temp at night drops to the 60's or low 70's in the summer....

There's a town called Barstow REALLY close to where we are shooting... Get on the 'net and find a Motel 6 or Sleazy 8 or something, lots of cheap rooms I'd reckon....

RSSSLVR is closer to 247 than me it sounds like...Im right off the 15fwy near Victorville, about 35miles from the spot...

JP

maschronic
06-10-2006, 9:07 AM
There's a town called Barstow REALLY close to where we are shooting... Get on the 'net and find a Motel 6 or Sleazy 8 or something, lots of cheap rooms I'd reckon....
JP

You'll know you are at Barstow when you find all the outlet stores. Someone should have an outlet store for ammo out there!!!! :D

rssslvr
06-10-2006, 9:12 AM
RSSSLVR is closer to 247 than me it sounds like...Im right off the 15fwy near Victorville, about 35miles from the spot...

JP
I am right off the 247 but am about 50-60 miles from Barstow so I don't know about the hotel thing.There isn't anythig where I am at.If I stay overnight I will just pitch a tent

JPglee1
06-10-2006, 9:16 AM
.If I stay overnight I will just pitch a tent

As long as you put that thing away by the morning ;) hahaha.

There's a couple of dive motels in the town of Lucerne which is about 10miles from the shooting spot. Barstow is closer...

Victorville has lots of lodging as well....

Today would have been absolutely perfect....minor breeze, nice and cool...

JP

rssslvr
06-10-2006, 9:24 AM
As long as you put that thing away by the morning ;) hahaha.

LOL

There's a couple of dive motels in the town of Lucerne which is about 10miles from the shooting spot. Barstow is closer...

Victorville has lots of lodging as well....

Today would have been absolutely perfect....minor breeze, nice and cool...

JP
Ya today would have been great.

rssslvr
06-10-2006, 9:32 AM

JP

Lucerne.you talking about where the 18 and 247 meet?Didn't you say there was a cool little gun store there

JaeFern
06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I remember all these places. I pass them on my way back to my house in Vegas. Since it doesn't get that cold, I'm probably going to pitch a tent. What weekend in July would be best for everyone? And it august as well?

rmeyer
06-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Mid to late July. Anytime in August.

JaeFern
06-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Haha. You and nakedness. How would July 14-16 sound? I know its a bit close (only a month away) but that's payday for me (gotta love the military). Is that too close to the 4th of July for anyone? God knows massive amounts of money will be spent that weekend. If anyone prefers it later please let us know.

JPglee1
06-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Lucerne.you talking about where the 18 and 247 meet?Didn't you say there was a cool little gun store there

Yah there's a gun store out there somewhere haha.."son of a gun shop"...

JP

rssslvr
06-10-2006, 9:44 PM
Haha. You and nakedness. How would July 14-16 sound? I know its a bit close (only a month away) but that's payday for me (gotta love the military). Is that too close to the 4th of July for anyone? God knows massive amounts of money will be spent that weekend. If anyone prefers it later please let us know.

Any weekend would probably be ok for me.My sons birtday is the 21st but other than that I got nothing else planded next month

Yah there's a gun store out there somewhere haha.."son of a gun shop"...

JP
I will have to stop by there next time I am out that way

maschronic
06-10-2006, 10:30 PM
i like to say this. so far, im very happy to be part of calguns.net!!! i really like the helpful people here. i have nothing but good things to say about this site and the people here. i think this event will be a blast!!!!!!!!!!! :D

JaeFern
06-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I received word from another calguns member who is a avid desert shooter that this even may be getting put together too hastily. I agree with him. I think the safest way to have this event in july is to keep the numbers down to a few. BUT we're going to thoroughly plan an event for the later months (september and later) where weather conditions will be safer for health reasons. For those of you who are still serious about going on this little get together, PM me and let me know. There are a couple people (JP and Rsss) who I'm going to have to depend on to let me know what they think of the weather conditions out there (since you guys live out there) wether you guys think its bearable and safe. Let me know what you all think.

rssslvr
06-11-2006, 2:33 PM
If the heat is a concern for saftey reasons it would be best to get there in the evening,camp overnight and start early in the morning(that way we could be out of there by 12 or 1 before it is ungodly hot).Any one who comes should also bring lots of water.Some source of shade would also be a good idea as well as some medical supplies in case there was a problem/accident.For me the weather is not a problem(I'm used to it)Also remeber that ice cold water will not hydrate you as quickly as slighty warm/cool water.Dehydration is probably the thing that people will have to worry the most about.Also a concern would be to where light colored clothing

(edited to add)The desert can be a harsh enviromet and bad things can happen if you are not prepared

However I am still in for the event

JaeFern
06-11-2006, 3:55 PM
Cool. as am I. RSSS or JP, could you post some directions to the exact spot? And directions to the nearest mdeical facility and store (in case more water is needed and so on.) Thanks

rssslvr
06-11-2006, 4:17 PM
I think this is the nearst medical facility

Barstow Community Hospital: 760-256-1761
555 S 7th Ave
Barstow, CA 92311, US

JPglee1
06-11-2006, 5:48 PM
Cool. as am I. RSSS or JP, could you post some directions to the exact spot? And directions to the nearest mdeical facility and store (in case more water is needed and so on.) Thanks

15FWY north to Barstow Rd exit (Hwy 247) make a RIGHT (SOUTH) onto Barstow Rd (Hwy 247) drive down until you see the first set of powerlines w/a road you can access (approx 5-7miles off 15FWYY; past the dump)... If you get to the Slash X Bar you went to far. Make a right at the powerline road. Drive up the power line road, stay to the "right" at the first fork, you will go onto a new dirt road away from the powerlines, go down until the road makes a hard 90* right hand turn, and thats where I shoot...

No road names out there, sorry....

If we do meet up, we can all meet at the Valero gas station on Barstow Rd or something, or meet at the bar (no drinking before, sorry)...

JP

JaeFern
06-11-2006, 6:13 PM
15FWY north to Barstow Rd exit (Hwy 247) make a RIGHT (SOUTH) onto Barstow Rd (Hwy 247) drive down until you see the first set of powerlines w/a road you can access (approx 5-7miles off 15FWYY; past the dump)... If you get to the Slash X Bar you went to far. Make a right at the powerline road. Drive up the power line road, stay to the "right" at the first fork, you will go onto a new dirt road away from the powerlines, go down until the road makes a hard 90* right hand turn, and thats where I shoot...

No road names out there, sorry....

If we do meet up, we can all meet at the Valero gas station on Barstow Rd or something, or meet at the bar (no drinking before, sorry)...

JP
Thanks JP. I agree with that too, no drinking before. As all gun owner's manuals say, "Guns and Alcohol DON'T mix" Stay safe. I'm going to go ahead and track the route on my GPS so I don't forget how to get there next time. So which day out of the weekend works best? We're going to go ahead and take the whole stay overnight and start in the morning approach. For some of us, wether we do it on sunday or saturday, we'll catch some traffic on 15. But IMO, Sat is best so that Sunday could be left with cleaning the guns. I personally might end up staying all weekend. You have to have a fire permit to make a fire on BLM areas right?

maschronic
06-11-2006, 9:36 PM
JF,

pm sent. you can count me in!!! just about anytime is good for me. i just need to know what date and i'll be there. i'll most likely coming with two other people in my car. :D

JaeFern
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
OK. Here's what I'm proposing. We have this the weekend of July 14-16. For those who want to overnight it, I'll be there Friday night and prep for the next day. Once dawn hits Saturday morning (15th) we go ahead and have fun. We go on with this until about noon or whenever the heat gets unbearable :D From there, we'll all go and grab some lunch and some beer and from there, those who want to can take off can go home, while those who want to stay another night, we can hang out, shoot off a bit more before dusk and clean guns and drink after. Then come sunday morning, proceed to shoot a bit more if you're up to it then take off about noonish. I'm probably going to stay sunday, but I'll at least be there and overnight it friday night. How does this sound? Still taking suggestions, but this is how it's looking.

Prospector
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
OK. Here's what I'm proposing. We have this the weekend of July 14-16. For those who want to overnight it, I'll be there Friday night and prep for the next day. Once dawn hits Saturday morning (15th) we go ahead and have fun. We go on with this until about noon or whenever the heat gets unbearable :D From there, we'll all go and grab some lunch and some beer and from there, those who want to can take off can go home, while those who want to stay another night, we can hang out, shoot off a bit more before dusk and clean guns and drink after. Then come sunday morning, proceed to shoot a bit more if you're up to it then take off about noonish. I'm probably going to stay sunday, but I'll at least be there and overnight it friday night. How does this sound? Still taking suggestions, but this is how it's looking.

Sound good...

EBWhite
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Looking good. Now, is there anygood camping out there or restrooms?

saki302
06-12-2006, 2:27 AM
There's a socal 1919A4 shoot coming up on July 23 (I think) at the Hodge Rd. shooting area off the 15 too. All comers welcome :)

-Dave

JPglee1
06-12-2006, 7:58 AM

Have fun, lemme know how it goes. I can't be there on the 15th at ALL. My wifes B-day and no way am I gonna try that maneuver (flaking on a B-day for some bang bang fun)

JP

JPglee1
06-12-2006, 7:59 AM
There's a socal 1919A4 shoot coming up on July 23 (I think) at the Hodge Rd. shooting area off the 15 too. All comers welcome :)

-Dave

You guys are crazy, hodge has been closed for about 3 years... I'd like to see some kind of "proof" in writing that its still legal to shoot at hodge, its a LOT closer to me :)

JP

JPglee1
06-12-2006, 8:03 AM
Looking good. Now, is there anygood camping out there or restrooms?

ITs the middle of the desert, pitch a tent and you're camping.

For a bathroom, bring your trust E-tool or shovel and some TP....

http://www.zigamorph.net/albums/mojave/20050604171100trilobitewildernessareaca_edited.siz ed.jpg

Thats pretty much what it looks like where you'll be going......

JP

maschronic
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
JF,

those dates work with me. Most likely, i'll be driving up friday night. i have to see how work plays out for me. i'll be leaving saturday afternoon. :)

glen avon
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I hope everybody understands just how freakin' hot it will be. I know the desert rats know, but from the lack of alarm arising from a proposed desert shoot in July, I wonder if some folks might not be unpleasantly surprised.

maschronic
06-13-2006, 1:13 AM
I hope everybody understands just how freakin' hot it will be. I know the desert rats know, but from the lack of alarm arising from a proposed desert shoot in July, I wonder if some folks might not be unpleasantly surprised.

Glen,

i know what you mean. i'm just hoping that it will be cloudy that day!! i visit my grandparents in landers. during summer, if its 95....its a cool day.

JaeFern
06-13-2006, 1:44 AM
I'm working with a retired LEO on another event for the later september-october time period. For those who don't like too much heat, another one will be coming up. I'm also working on having one of my navy buddies (corpsman) who are gun fanatics to come to have an on site med tech. Most of them have had at least 4 years of field experience. This is to be on the safe side :D As for the one in July, we may have to push it back since one of our "resident experts" won't be able to make it that weekend. Sorry if this inconveniences anyone, but I'd prefer to have someone totally familiar with the area there. I'm waiting on his response for a better time for him.

rssslvr
06-13-2006, 8:45 AM
If you have to push it back that is ok with me,like I said I am free most weekends.I think if you could get one of your navy buddys (corpsman)to come that would be a great idea in case there was some kind of medical emergency

maschronic
06-13-2006, 8:53 AM
i already know what the medical emergency will be. someone will eat beans and gag the rest of us all day!!!

cough cough...doctor...i need oxygen...cough cough

im good with the change.

glen avon
06-13-2006, 9:54 AM
ya know, speaking of beans, it might be a good idea to show up in the late afternoon, shoot, cook, sleep, shhot, and leave when it's too hot.

crepuscular is the name of the game in the desert

Matt C
06-13-2006, 3:09 PM
Count me in for this one. I will call a few of my army buddies also, and one of them is a medic reservist/pre med student. Can't have too many medics.

jmlivingston
06-13-2006, 3:20 PM
Count me in for this one. I will call a few of my army buddies also, and one of them is a medic reservist/pre med student. Can't have too many medics.

Hmmm...... sounds like a little shooting competition might be in order, Navy vs. Army???? :D Maybe I'll see if I can make it to this get-together. Weather can't be worse than Ft. Irwin in July, can it?

John
(Former Army Medic)

JPglee1
06-13-2006, 5:21 PM
Weather can't be worse than Ft. Irwin in July, can it?

John
(Former Army Medic)

Considering we're only gone be maybe 30 miles from Ft. Irwin, I doubt it will be much different hahaha.

Man, this sounds like its gonna be a convention, who is gonna be appointed range nazi? We need someone to control all you heathens and your evil high powered rifles hahahahaa

JP

JaeFern
06-13-2006, 5:36 PM
Considering we're only gone be maybe 30 miles from Ft. Irwin, I doubt it will be much different hahaha.

Man, this sounds like its gonna be a convention, who is gonna be appointed range nazi? We need someone to control all you heathens and your evil high powered rifles hahahahaa

JP
I agree, although Range Nazis will have to work in shifts to give eachother a chance to shoot.

JaeFern
06-13-2006, 5:36 PM
Hows the weekend of the 21-23 sound?

glen avon
06-13-2006, 5:38 PM
I agree, although Range Nazis will have to work in shifts to give eachother a chance to shoot.

just like lytle creek. while shooting ask the RO if they would like to shoot. they will protest vigorously that "they are not supposed to do that, not at all," while working their way through your mag.....

nothing wrong with an RO that shoots.

rssslvr
06-13-2006, 6:18 PM
Hows the weekend of the 21-23 sound?
That is the one weekend I will be busy.Well I will be busy the 21st(my sons birthday),I might be able to make it out on the 22nd

JaeFern
06-21-2006, 7:38 PM
Hey guys, I came across a problem and won't be able to make it next month. Hell, I don't even know if I'll be able to make it in September either. Looks like I might be pulling chalks and heading out to sea. Sorry about that. I'm sure one of the bartow residents would be happy to finish setting this up, (rss and jp) Sorry again guys and have fun.

five.five-six
06-21-2006, 8:40 PM
I was just wondering if it would be dumb to suggest a calguns.net "event" of some sort. I was thinking that those of us from southern california could set up a weekend or day to head to a BLM area and do some camping and shooting. I know it would be awkward having a bunch of "strangers" getting together like this. But I feel that we're all pretty much civil and all have a common hobby. It's a chance to meet fellow shooters and gives us a chance to enjoy the sport we all love, shooting. Would this be too farfetched? It's just a suggestion, but I am willing to do something like this if more people are. We could also do something like rent out a range or something for us all to hang out, shoot and show off all our "cali legal" guns. I'd appreciate anyone's input on this. Would you be willing to do something like this? Do you have any better ideas for an event like this? I'm not setting it up right now or anything. I just want some feedback on the idea. I'll talk with admin before I actually set something up. Also, Norcal calguns members could set something up for themselves too. Please feel free to throw suggestions out there. Thanks everyone.

you are just a doj agent trying to round us all up with our oll's so you can put us all in jail... shopkeep was right we are all going to jail!

sounds good to me i will bring an ezup amd lots of water. overnight sounds fun. I am a lousy photographer but I would like to show off my stuff. might be a good idea to have tshirts made with our screen names on them that way I will know to talk good around Oshmily :D

Oldtimer
06-24-2006, 9:27 AM
For those of you who have FLOODED this post with interest, but might be concerned about the HOT weather conditions, I'm in the process of putting together a COOLER weather "get-together". Right now, it's looking like October or November would be the best, since the desert is still going to be darn hot during September.

While having ALL of you show up for a shooting and camping venture sounds great, I think that it might be best to divide it into TWO, maybe even THREE groups (depending upon the numbers involved). Believe me, having 20 people show up will, most likely, cause some problems, especially from the standpoint of being total strangers. I'd like to limit the trips to, say, no more than 10 CalGun members per outing, just to see how it goes. If the "first-ever" get-together is a success, then increasing it at a later date (next year?) might turn out to be a fantastic event for all of us to enjoy!

I don't have any "set" dates yet, but by having it tentatively set up for October and/or November will give us all some time to coordinate everything better. Add to that, I'd rather have ONLY CalGuns members get together....without bringing along spouses, friends, relative, shooting buddies, neighbors or others. It should be a MEMBER "get-together", so that we can get to know each other better on a personal basis.

I wasn't surprised by the amount of responses that "JaeFern's" original post received. It was a great idea....one that I had pondered about doing, myself. It's just that IF everyone that said "Count me in" were to show up, there might be a humongous crowd. Then, if you add the "peripheral" (non-member) invitees, such as Navy Corpmen and Army Medics, the crowd of people would swell greatly. Then, I'm sure that a few of you would invite others along, and before too long, the "get-together" might consist of HUNDREDS of people! We would all be total strangers, but there would be several "cliques" that might off-set the event. I don't WANT this to turn out to be a NEGATIVE "get-together", which is why it is best to set up some limitations and ground rules. As of this moment, I'm thinking that we should try to focus upon the WHERE aspect. For me, since I live in the South Bay (Torrance), anywhere will be at least a 3-hour drive. That's fine with me, for I'm used to it! The WHEN aspect will probably focus upon weekend dates, and those are still "open". The "what to bring" aspect will be easier, for hot weather gear won't be as much of an "issue".

Okay, here goes! Let's hear your responses and suggestions! E-mail me directly, so that I will at least be able to start putting together a few more "focused" plans....and to find out who wants to "co-sponsor" the event! From there, we can set some sort of schedule, and start putting together this "get-together" in a more definitive fashion!

Enough said? I'm really pleased with how all of you have opened up! I now KNOW that I'm not the ONLY California "desert dawg"!

WHEW!

JPglee1
06-24-2006, 9:29 AM
I now KNOW that I'm not the ONLY California "desert dawg"!

WHEW!

I never leave the desert...bonafide dez rat here.

105* outside yesterday, felt like 85* to me, not even hot...Flatlanders would be melting hahaha.

JP

50 Shooter
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Oldtimer,

You mean something like this?

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ds2006/spring/dss06_grp_big.jpg

We always have a good safe time (knock on wood).

Prospector
06-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Looks like everyone in the picture had a great time.

JPglee1
06-24-2006, 2:52 PM
WHOA, thats a few more people than I had in mind...

I was thinking 10 people, maximum. In my experiences it gets hard to police that many people and I personally wanna shoot not shoot the breeze (I can do that on here hahaha)

I would still show Im sure, but probably wouldn't bring my arsenal, 1 or 2 rifles maybe.

JP

50 Shooter
06-24-2006, 4:14 PM
The thing with our group is this, everyone knows that they are responsible for themselves and the overall safety of the others. I tell everyone that brings a friend/family member that they are responsible for that person. If a person comes out and can't act like an adult they won't be asked back out.

In the years that we've been going out we've only had one person that was a problem and he hasn't been asked to come back. The desert is a free for all as far as I'm concerned but if you make an ***** out of yourself.... Newbies are welcome but we like to do a meet-n-greet at the range first, 3rd Sunday of the month at Angeles Range is where we usually are.

Then there's that shoot at Hodge Rd. next month on the 23rd http://shoot1919a4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79

JPglee1
06-24-2006, 5:21 PM
Then there's that shoot at Hodge Rd. next month on the 23rd http://shoot1919a4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79

Can we verify that Hodge is REALLY open and legal to shoot at? I'd like to have some kind of written confirmation. I have been told by BLM rangers that Hodge is closed to firearms and only open on the east side of 15fwy for OHV use.

We need to find out, what a bummer to potentially get busted on a technicality, no?

Here's some info off the link you just posted above:

UNTING AND SHOOTING ON PUBLIC LANDS

"High Desert gun owners no longer can shoot at Hodge Road; BLM proposes to increase open shooting areas" (Barstow Desert Dispatch, 09/02/2003)
Informal shooting area closed, on land that went to a private owner several years ago in land exchange with BLM. Owners installed microwave communications tower, and closed the land soon after. Ranger says BLM is working with San Bernardino County on its shooting ordinance - which allows more areas where shotguns can be fired, than solid projectiles such as bullets. The BLM Barstow Field Office, the county and the state fish and game departments have proposed opening miles of new area with safe backdrops, to solid projectile shooting.
http://www.desertdispatch.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1062511921,86067,

Management
Barstow Field Office
2601 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Phone: (760) 252-6000
Fax: (760) 252-6098

The California Desert Conservation Area offers recreational shooting. Shooting of any kind is not permitted in the Stoddard Valley OHV Recreation Area (except shotgun use during hunting season) and in the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area. These areas are heavily used by off-highway vehicles. What might be a great backstop for recreational shooters may be a rider's favorite hill climb or descent route. A zone has been established where shotgun use only (with shot no larger than half the bore diameter) is allowed. The general area just south of State Route 58 and Interstate 40, north of the San Bernardino National Forest, west of the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Air/Ground Combat Center and east of the Los Angeles County line is designated as shotgun-only by San Bernardino County Ordinance. There is an irregular boundary south of the town of Barstow, Ca, where all types of legal weapon shooting is permitted. The "Shotgun Only" zone does not prohibit lawful skeet shooting.
For Rifle and Pistol shooting, the legal target shooting area is the area north, northwest, or northeast of Barstow, taking into consideration any private land, posted signs, and other rules and regulations that would apply. It is the responsibility of the shooter to know the laws for the area where they are shooting. For a detailed map, call the San Bernardino County Fire Special Districts office at (909) 387-5940 (157 W. 5th Street, 2nd Floor, San Bernardino, CA 92415-0451). Do not shoot within 150 yards of any man-made object, camp, domestic livestock, or occupied dwelling."

JP

JPglee1
07-13-2006, 4:01 PM
Bump... please read my above post and answer if you know :)

J

walkerboh4269
07-19-2006, 1:51 PM
Looks like I have been away from Calguns for to long.

I am interested in the get together in the desert. July or August whenever. I have no problem with the heat as I live out here as well.

I live in Apple Valley and work in Victorville. If I can be any help with setup let me know.

I am free almost any weekend and I am more than happy to help out.