PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a registered AW?

curtster
10-20-2010, 3:14 PM
Hi Calgunners,

I'm sure this has been addressed already here, but I can't find it, so here goes:

I own a registered Bushmaster XM15, post ban variety (no flash hider, bayonette lug, etc.). Since it's already a "registered assault weapon", is it legal to change anything on it? I'd like to put a flat top upper on it that would not have a flash hider and I can't imagine that would be a problem, but what if I wanted to add that feature later. Would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance for the info,

Curt

Mstrty
10-20-2010, 3:17 PM
The lower is the "registered AW" nothing else matters. Put a .22 upper or a 12ga. upper or anything in between.

Edit:

Just make sure you don't configure a NFA firearm. Like Short barrel rifle, Silencer, Full auto. You still need to comply with all the other laws pertaining to long rifles.

bohoki
10-20-2010, 3:19 PM
yea a reged assault weapon is as evil as it gets so go to town

just have to comply with the atf regs

AMDG
10-20-2010, 3:20 PM
Change away brother!

MudCamper
10-20-2010, 3:27 PM
I own a registered Bushmaster XM15, post ban variety

Just to be clear, by "registered", you mean you registered it with the California DOJ during one of the AW registration windows, and you have a letter from them stating as much. The form 4473 and DROS you filled out when you bought it are not "registration".

curtster
10-20-2010, 3:33 PM
Just to be clear, by "registered", you mean you registered it with the California DOJ during one of the AW registration windows, and you have a letter from them stating as much. The form 4473 and DROS you filled out when you bought it are not "registration".

Great question, and yes, I have the paper from the DOJ... registered properly during the window. I keep a copy of it shoved up in the stock.

Thanks for the info, Calgunners!

Curt

bwiese
10-20-2010, 3:55 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed already here, but I can't find it, so here goes:

I own a registered Bushmaster XM15, post ban variety (no flash hider, bayonette lug, etc.). Since it's already a "registered assault weapon", is it legal to change anything on it? I'd like to put a flat top upper on it that would not have a flash hider and I can't imagine that would be a problem, but what if I wanted to add that feature later. Would that be a problem?

Curt,

There are no degrees, levels or tiers of AW status: once you're a legal AW you are free to modify it to other configurations. Add or remove folding or telestock, add or remove flash hider, add or remove flattop receiver, etc.

Note you are free to change calibers and barrel lengths: while those data show up on your AW registration they are 'supplemental' information at time of registration and in no way restrict you to retaining those particular attributes.

Go ahead and make your changes you outlined above - you're 100% fine.

Just don't put an under-16" barrel on it (unless it has perm. attached muzzle device to get to 16"), and don't make its overall length fall below 26" - so you stay out of NFA SBR territory. (The latter is hard to do with an AW with a 16" barrel.)

Also, while CA law lists 'grenade launcher' as an evil SB23 AW feature, GLs are intrinsically illegal whether or not they're attached to guns so don't acquire or possess one (regardless if it's installed).