PDA

View Full Version : Transporting an AR in a truck.

Mister.E
10-20-2010, 1:40 PM
I'll be transporting my friend's AR in my truck over the weekend. I don't own a rifle so I'm not quite up to date on the law.

What is the legal way to transport this?

I would prefer it be in a locked case and locked ammo, but want to know where I stand. Thanks.

paradox
10-20-2010, 1:43 PM
Unloaded. That is all. You can have it in your lap if you want.

(note, I'm assuming it's an OLL not a RAW)

ocspeedracer
10-20-2010, 1:45 PM
if it's a CA legal AR and not AR pistol, it can be leaning up against the passenger seat, so long as it's unloaded, same as any other rifle in CA. Only thing to be concerned with is it can't be displayed like in a rifle rack in the back window.

Obviously if it's a registered AR, you should not have possession unless your friend is with you, also that would then fall under transporting a registered AW and that has totally different rules.

emcon5
10-20-2010, 1:48 PM
As long as you don't go within 1000 feet of a school......:rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
10-20-2010, 1:48 PM
No legal reason to have the ammo locked up. The only time you would need to have the rifle locked is if you were within 1000 (ONE THOUSAND not 100)feet of a school.

Is there some law in CA that I'm unaware of which makes it illegal to carry a longarm in a rifle rack against your rear window?

Blood Ocean
10-20-2010, 1:50 PM
Citation?
Only thing to be concerned with is it can't be displayed like in a rifle rack in the back window.

Mister.E
10-20-2010, 1:55 PM
thanks for the responses. yes it's CA legal/OLL/not a registered AW.

it will be transported unloaded and my friend will be with it at all times.

bohoki
10-20-2010, 3:24 PM
since they are so easy to seperate i would always pull thetop off any non registered ar type rifle on general principal

and registered ones must be transported in a locked container

Flopper
10-20-2010, 3:28 PM
thanks for the responses. yes it's CA legal/OLL/not a registered AW.

it will be transported unloaded and my friend will be with it at all times.

He doesn't even have to be with it the whole time.

tacticalcity
10-20-2010, 3:32 PM
Wow, I had that law wrong in my head. I assumed all firearms had to be transported the same way you transport a handgun. In a seperated locked compartment from the driver, etc. I had no idea the law was so relaxed on long guns here in California. Good to know.

MasterYong
10-20-2010, 3:35 PM
The part about the rifle rack is nonsense. You can have it in a rifle rack- you may draw unwanted attention depending on where you live but you can have it there if you want.

As far as the schools are concerned- you have to KNOW you were within 1000 feet of a school. That part is there for a reason. If you're just passing by, clearly on the way to do some legal shooting, you should be fine even if it's unlocked. I wouldn't intentionally pass through a school zone of course (again, that's illegal) but I wouldn't worry too much about mapping out a special route to avoid school zones.

Me, I'm terrible at judging distances, and the gov doesn't see fit to mark where the school zones start and stop. Really, I can't judge distance worth a damn- see the laser rangefinder I have with me?

CitaDeL
10-20-2010, 3:54 PM
626.9 doesnt apply to long guns... while federal school zone applies, its not generally enforced by any LEO other than the Feds.

mej16489
10-20-2010, 3:54 PM
Wow, I had that law wrong in my head. I assumed all firearms had to be transported the same way you transport a handgun. In a seperated locked compartment from the driver, etc.

Actually, that's another very common misconception...

A handgun can legally be transported unloaded and sitting on the seat next to you (provided you don't enter a Gun Free School Zone (PC 626.9))

If a handgun is being transported concealed it must be in a secure locked container (see PCs 12026 through 12027 for exceptions to illegally concealing a handgun (PC 12025))

The locked container can be your trunk. The locked container may not be the glove compartment or a utility compartment.

There are zero requirements about where ammo needs to be transported (for a normal everyday law abiding citizen.)

There are zero requirements about 'proximity' to someone.