PDA

View Full Version : CCW good cause and contractors

taperxz
10-20-2010, 1:49 PM
In order to become a Licensed Contractor in CA, one must take 2 tests, a background check for any felonies or misdemeanors that would determine you to the state as unethical, plus fingerprinting before a license is issued.

Question: If the state is willing to issue a license to me because of my "good moral character", and other requirments, How when and why did the decision ever come around to make a local sheriff the judge of who can and can't carry concealed?

As i pointed out, the Dept. of Consumer Affairs, puts applicants through a rigorous vetting process. A felony on misdemeanor on your record at any time in your life could prevent you from getting a license to be a contractor.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that if the State says i am of good moral character.......? What more is needed to show a Sheriff i am of good moral character with no priors on my record?

Havoc70
10-20-2010, 2:10 PM
Good moral character isn't really the issue, usually. The sticky thing is the "good cause". Good moral character is pretty objective so far as I can tell but "good cause" is where the SNAFU usually occurs.

xxsleepyxx
10-20-2010, 2:27 PM
Stupid question : what is a Licensed contractor. I'm thinking hard hats and construction. And why would that, if it is, have anything to do with CCW?

Mstrty
10-20-2010, 2:33 PM
Once we get SCOTUS to say "The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right to all citizens of the United States." good cause will go away.

Oh! wait ..... that already happened. (Chicago vs. McDonald)

Once we get county Sheriffs to realize that the current legislation in California is UnConstitutional, we will get "shall issue". Unfortunately it is either going to take them waking up or we litigate them untill they cry UNCLE

Some Sheriffs always knew it was a fundamental right, some are just now waking up to this fact. The stubborn ones will soon go home crying to momma.

taperxz
10-20-2010, 2:45 PM
Stupid question : what is a Licensed contractor. I'm thinking hard hats and construction. And why would that, if it is, have anything to do with CCW?

Yes construction!! Reason for this post is that i found that in order to be a contractor in this state you actually have to go through more hoops in order to get your license to be a contractor. Consumer affairs must approve you to get a license.

I guess what i am trying to point out is the double standard of a state allowing a group of people to have one thing but not another without the approval of a local sheriff. (An elected official)

edwardm
10-20-2010, 2:57 PM
Yes construction!! Reason for this post is that i found that in order to be a contractor in this state you actually have to go through more hoops in order to get your license to be a contractor. Consumer affairs must approve you to get a license.

I guess what i am trying to point out is the double standard of a state allowing a group of people to have one thing but not another without the approval of a local sheriff. (An elected official)

You could make the same argument for, say, attorneys. We go through a background investigation as well in order to be licensed. Not that it does any good in the end, mind you (and perhaps it's a tacit admission that despite all the checking in the world, bad apples slip through any system.)

xxsleepyxx
10-20-2010, 4:46 PM
You could make the same argument for, say, attorneys. We go through a background investigation as well in order to be licensed. Not that it does any good in the end, mind you (and perhaps it's a tacit admission that despite all the checking in the world, bad apples slip through any system.)

I'm pretty sure the slippage rate for police officers is very slim these days

RollingCode3
10-20-2010, 5:20 PM
Contractor? :eek: I am a sworn peace officer and I still can't get a CCW.

craneman
10-20-2010, 7:08 PM

Wow, you must be one bad M-Fer. What do they expect you to keep the piece with, a big stick and a bad joke?

otalps
10-20-2010, 7:10 PM

You can't carry off-duty? Seems odd.

HowardW56
10-20-2010, 7:18 PM
You can't carry off-duty? Seems odd.

Quite a few peace or public officer classifications can't carry firearms. Many would be able to, but the Penal Code section under which they are appointed & sworn makes it at the discretion of the agency that employs them.

otalps
10-20-2010, 7:40 PM
Quite a few peace or public officer classifications can't carry firearms. Many would be able to, but the Penal Code section under which they are appointed & sworn makes it at the discretion of the agency that employs them.

I knew there were some classes that can't carry fire arms. I just assumed (mistake, I know) he carried on duty and can't carry off which seemed odd. Perhaps there are some of those?

RollingCode3
10-20-2010, 7:53 PM
I knew there were some classes that can't carry fire arms. I just assumed (mistake, I know) he carried on duty and can't carry off which seemed odd. Perhaps there are some of those?

There are a few agencies out there that let their officers carry on duty but NOT OFF DUTY. :mad: My agency is one of them. If we decide to carry off duty (perfectly legal according to the penal code and case law),and SHTF we are screwed. We are on our own. :rolleyes:

CHS
10-20-2010, 8:11 PM

Umm, you're a sworn police officer. That means you are FEDERALLY CCW licensed.

hawk1
10-20-2010, 9:13 PM
There are a few agencies out there that let their officers carry on duty but NOT OFF DUTY. :mad: My agency is one of them. If we decide to carry off duty (perfectly legal according to the penal code and case law),and SHTF we are screwed. We are on our own. :rolleyes:

"On your own", as in you pay for your legal fees not the agency? Just as any other non-LEO person that is licensed must do. I see nothing wrong with that.
This is not bashing LEO's either. Use a gun on the job, great, you're covered and should be covered to the fullest extent possible. Off the job, then it's on your dime.

N6ATF
10-20-2010, 9:46 PM
Some All Sheriffs always knew it was a fundamental right, some are just now waking up to this fact about to realize that their treason will not be ignored until they resign or die.

Fixed.

BobB35
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the slippage rate for police officers is very slim these days

Have you read the paper lately? I'm think the slippage rate is going up not down....