PDA

View Full Version : How to DROS off list?

SVT-40
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
This may seem a simple question. But the owner of the shop where I work thinks a "special license" from DOJ in needed in order to DROS off list handguns to LEO's.

I told him it's not. But he than asked how the gun would be DROSED?

I'm not sure so how do you list a "off list" hand gun?

Would it be a "dealer hand gun sale" on the DROS entry screen? If so the particular make and model would not then be on the drop down list...

Please explain the process so I can run through it with him.
Thanks

PolishMike
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
If its on letterhead and is an instant pick up then it is the "Peace Officer" Screen.

If they are waiting ten days then it is Curio/Relic/Olympic Pistol/Exempt

jtmkinsd
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
If its on letterhead and is an instant pick up then it is the "Peace Officer" Screen.

If they are waiting ten days then it is Curio/Relic/Olympic Pistol/Exempt

When DROSing off list firearms for LE I use the "Peace Officer" entry page. It's not limited to instant pick ups only, as there is a zone to identify if there is a waiting period exemption or not. If it is a roster gun I can process it on the regular dealer transfer zone...even if it's an instant pick up, again, as there is a "waiting period exemption" drop down which has "peace officer" on it.

halifax
10-20-2010, 12:29 PM
When DROSing off list firearms for LE I use the "Peace Officer" entry page. It's not limited to instant pick ups only, as there is a zone to identify if there is a waiting period exemption or not. If it is a roster gun I can process it on the regular dealer transfer zone...even if it's an instant pick up, again, as there is a "waiting period exemption" drop down which has "peace officer" on it.

+1. That is what I have done

SVT-40
10-20-2010, 2:02 PM
Is the "peace officer" entry page the same as the C&R on the first sign in page you get to when doing a DROS?

I saw the page which lists the waiting period exemption But did not see anything specific as a Peace officer entry page...

jtmkinsd
10-20-2010, 4:16 PM
Is the "peace officer" entry page the same as the C&R on the first sign in page you get to when doing a DROS?

I saw the page which lists the waiting period exemption But did not see anything specific as a Peace officer entry page...

when you login to the DROS entry system, all of the entry icons are listed. Below the handgun DROS icon is the "peace officer" icon...click that. A normal DROS entry page comes up with the "number of firearms" field, "gunshow purchase" field, and the next field will have "waiting period exemptions". It's a drop down menu so click on the arrow and the list will appear...peace officer is on that list. Click that and continue with the DROS as normal. The information on the firearm is on the next tab and is entered just like a curio and relic.

tenpercentfirearms
10-20-2010, 9:47 PM
Isn't Peace Officer so they are exempt from the 1 in 30 day rule? If you run it as just exempt/olympic/whatevertherestis then the 1 in 30 day rule will still apply.

jtmkinsd
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Isn't Peace Officer so they are exempt from the 1 in 30 day rule? If you run it as just exempt/olympic/whatevertherestis then the 1 in 30 day rule will still apply.

Peace Officer is for non-roster handguns...the data gets entered just like a C&R...and just like the C&R, in the "waiting period exemptions" window there is a "Peace Officer" in the drop down list for instant pick ups...if they aren't doing an instant pick up, then the entry is "None". The drop down list is the exact same in all the different types of transfers. In C&R the selection would be "Collector" if the buyer was doing an instant pick up (and had his 03 and COE of course).

tenpercentfirearms
10-21-2010, 5:40 AM
Peace Officer is for non-roster handguns...the data gets entered just like a C&R...and just like the C&R, in the "waiting period exemptions" window there is a "Peace Officer" in the drop down list for instant pick ups...if they aren't doing an instant pick up, then the entry is "None". The drop down list is the exact same in all the different types of transfers. In C&R the selection would be "Collector" if the buyer was doing an instant pick up (and had his 03 and COE of course).

However, what is the difference between the two? You could run a Peace Officer in the Exempt screen too. I think the difference is the Peace Officer automatically exempts them from the 1 in 30 days. I'll have to call and ask. I did notice there is a 1 in 30 day exemption tab in the same spot as the 10 day wait exemption pull down menu.

jtmkinsd
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
However, what is the difference between the two? You could run a Peace Officer in the Exempt screen too. I think the difference is the Peace Officer automatically exempts them from the 1 in 30 days. I'll have to call and ask. I did notice there is a 1 in 30 day exemption tab in the same spot as the 10 day wait exemption pull down menu.

I think you're right...there is a "multiple purchase exempt" in the drop down...but I think that is already built into the "peace officer" entry page...It's in the drop down menu because they just didn't want to pay for the extra code in the software to specialize the drop down?