PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with OLL-based AR15-risks?

jimbob2262
10-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Is there something I should know about taking my Plum Crazy OLL-based AR out of California and then trying to bring it back?

My 13-year old son and my ex-wife recently moved to Virginia. My son and and enjoy target shooting together and I want to take my recently acquired California-compliant AR for us to shoot at the NRA range in Fairfax. Do you think I'll have any problems if I have the AR in an FFA approved case when taking it out, and more importantly, back to California?

Sorry if it seems off-topic, but the last 2 posts have me concerned. Thanks for advice.

Librarian
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
It's just a rifle. Follow airline and TSA rules and you should be fine.

the_quark
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
In checking firearms, I've never had anyone with the slightest knowledge about anything involved in the process, I wouldn't worry about it, at all.

wash
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Make sure that the rifle is in a CA compliant state when you return.

The only thing that stopped me from traveling with an AR once was that I would be going through NY state which has an "assault weapon" ban. I couldn't bring a handgun either.

Just find out where you are going to be and make sure that everything is legal at every stop along the way.

bwiese
10-20-2010, 2:10 PM
I've regularly travelled with multiple balls-to-the-wall full-house registered AWs, a handgun or two and a load of ammo.

No problems, though my 'dirty' luggage did trigger the nitrates detector at Boise airport. No big problem, they inspected, saw I was a gun guy and I was on my way - along with the TSA guy pointing out his uncle worked at the local Cabelas.

mej16489
10-20-2010, 2:20 PM
I've regularly travelled with multiple balls-to-the-wall full-house registered AWs, a handgun or two and a load of ammo.

No problems, though my 'dirty' luggage did trigger the nitrates detector at Boise airport. No big problem, they inspected, saw I was a gun guy and I was on my way - along with the TSA guy pointing out his uncle worked at the local Cabelas.

Ditto for me - except my 'positive trace for bombs' hit was at Portland International.

violator22348
10-20-2010, 3:09 PM
It can go either way. Just be sure what you are taking is legal in the state you are going TO. I once had a moron at Southwest Airlines try to deny my blackpowder musket because "she couldn't verify it was unloaded"...I pinged the barrel with the metal rammer, but still she couldn't deal with it. No doubt an 'anti'...took a while (including me taking the 60" long weapon out of its case in front of 50 people in line, which caused panic of course.
It all boils down to whom you talk to.

Decoligny
10-20-2010, 4:04 PM
Just be aware that if you happen to get diverted to NY (broken plane, weather, etc.,) DO NOT take possession of your firearm if they want you to stay overnight and take another plane in the morning. This can get you into extremely hot water with the NY LEOs.

dieselpower
10-20-2010, 4:10 PM
Just be aware that if you happen to get diverted to NY (broken plane, weather, etc.,) DO NOT take possession of your firearm if they want you to stay overnight and take another plane in the morning. This can get you into extremely hot water with the NY LEOs.

My brother in law got a quick flight out of NY due to AW in luggage. He explained to the airlines he was illegal there and it was their fault they made an emergency landing. He even called the LEO over to the counter to confirm to the agent he was not allowed to own the firearm in NY. 1st class seat to Penn then on to Texas he went.

XD Guy
10-20-2010, 4:13 PM
My son takes several Cal Compliant AR type rifles back and forth to college in Montana several times a year by air and has never had a problem, but you must comply with the both the TSA and the airlines rules regarding transporting firearms by air.

He travels from Orange County John Wayne airport through Seattle and into Missoula Montana.

The good part is that once the firearm is inspected by the TSA agent and the case is locked, you are accompanied to the front of the security line and you are on your way.

hoffmang
10-20-2010, 10:45 PM
My OLL happily traveled to Texas and back this summer via air. I ended up being lazy and leaving the BB on in Texas. It was kind of odd to use 30 rounders in Texas w/ the BB but meh.

As said above - just make sure you are properly Californicated before you check the OLL in on the return flight.

-Gene

gbarbo001
10-21-2010, 8:23 AM
Just did this a few months ago out of SFO and back. The TSA ladies who looked at my LMT AR were two young hotties who obviously didn't know jack about ARs. They simply processed the paperwork, swabbed my gun case for explosives and wished me a nice day. They never touched the gun or asked me anything about it. Moreover, they are FEDERAL TSA agents. It's not their job to enforce CA gun laws.

B Strong
10-21-2010, 8:30 AM
No Issues.

The TSA uisn't concerned with California regs.

I've traveled with handguns and long guns (including RAW's) and the TSA guys have shown -0- interest in whether the rifle was California legal or not.

jimbob2262
10-22-2010, 1:18 AM
Thank you all for the reassurance. I apologize in advance for not asking about the rules regarding taking hi-cap mag rebuild kits out and then back into California with me. Should they be in kit form or does it matter?

SanPedroShooter
10-22-2010, 7:20 AM
I have flown with my AK and high cap mags (make sure there broken down while in CA and upon returning) plus a couple hundred rounds of ammo. No problems, just a rifle like someone said above.
The TSA has a web page specificly for travelling with guns. I print it out and take it with along with the specific airlines rules, they can vary, depending on who you fly with, but they must allow to transport your legally owned private property.

the_quark
10-22-2010, 8:41 AM
Thank you all for the reassurance. I apologize in advance for not asking about the rules regarding taking hi-cap mag rebuild kits out and then back into California with me. Should they be in kit form or does it matter?

If you legally possess the built magazines in California, it is legal to take them out of state and then bring them back.

Again, I've taken legally possessed magazines in checked luggage and never had anyone say "boo" about them. I mean, in that case, you're talking about having a TSA checked baggage agent in (say) Nebraska having to know and care about California law - they're just nowhere near that efficient, or knowledgeable; to say nothing of the fact that it's outside their legal mandate.

hakcenter
10-22-2010, 8:50 AM
As long as it isn't black... :jump: