PDA

View Full Version : NRA Grades for Canidates

EL_NinO619
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.nrapvf.org/grades-endorsements/personal-voting-card.aspx?state=California&selectedCandidatesIdList=

Gov..
Jerry Brown= D
Meg Whitman ?

GatorRanger
10-20-2010, 2:31 PM
That's the NRA for ya. Heaven forbid they go out on a limb...

bwiese
10-20-2010, 2:38 PM
That's probably due to a lag in communications.

Please note the CRPA -- NRA's coordinating, state-affiliated organization -- formally rated both Brown and Whitman as "DNRQ" (did not return questionnaire).

Without speaking for NRA or CRPA formal organization, I nevertheless can reasonabily surmise that a vote for Brown would not at all displease the California Gunrights Team.

GatorRanger
10-20-2010, 2:56 PM
They also have a policy of endorsing the incumbent, regardless of how pro-gun the challenger may be. The now-famous race in Nevada between Senator Reid and Sharron Angle is a perfect example -- Angle is 100% pro-gun and very conservative, but the NRA has worked some behind-the-scenes magic with ol' Harry, so they gave him money, instead. Sad.

bwiese
10-20-2010, 6:36 PM
They also have a policy of endorsing the incumbent, regardless of how pro-gun the challenger may be. The now-famous race in Nevada between Senator Reid and Sharron Angle is a perfect example -- Angle is 100% pro-gun and very conservative, but the NRA has worked some behind-the-scenes magic with ol' Harry, so they gave him money, instead. Sad.

WRONG. Get your facts straight and learn some politics.

1.) Harry lost his endorsement because he was scored for his vote
for Supreme Court nominee, Elena Kagan.

2.) Harry had had prior support because of many pro-gun activities,
including PLCAA (which helped save the 2nd.)

3.) NRA's incumbent-first policy demonstrates we reward those who
help us on gunrights. That helps solidify our power.

4.) A candidate who says she's pro-gun is not nearly as useful as
an incumbent that's in place and has seniority and has made a trip
or two thru the pro-gun => get support feedback loop.

"Angle is very conservative...." - who gives a crap, we're talking about gun rights. Lotsa 'conservatives' have screwed us due to statist tendencies. Look at Danny Lungren. Or imagine if Bill O'Reilly took office - you think he'd be a gunnie's friend?

GatorRanger
10-21-2010, 8:45 AM
bwiese,

If by "learn some politics" you mean "learn how to compromise and support politicians rather than members," then no thanks; I would rather stick to principles.

Fact: Senator Reid did not "lose" his endorsement -- the NRA gave him almost $5k *after* he voted for Kagan. This is public information and not that hard to find (opensecrets.org).

Fact: Senator Reid voted for the Health Care bill, which contains anti-gun provisions within it relating to veterans and the BATFE (again, he voted for this *before* the NRA gave him $5K).

Fact: Senator Reid voted for the Clinton Crime Bill, which contained the ban on "assault weapons" while being endorsed by the NRA.

Should I go on? The list continues and could take all day; there is plenty more where that came from. The point is simple: Senator Reid is most certainly not the example you should be using to display the NRA's wisdom regarding "politics." Rather, he is exactly the reason why so many people are fed up with the NRA's insistence on compromise rather than representing their membership's interest and protecting the true intent of the Second Amendment.

The candidates that are "in place" right now -- as you put it -- are responsible for greatly expanding the size and scope of government. If that is what the NRA supports, then I want no part of learning what they consider "politics."

Believe me, I completely understand their strategy. There's only one problem with that: I disagree with it, and so do a whole lot of gun owners. And that's why other groups are growing in numbers and having a huge impact.

FirstFlight
10-21-2010, 9:01 AM
The latest NRA update shows Whitman Grade: C+ and Brown Grade: D
To bring this up click on link below, then scroll down to the map and click on California.

http://www.nrapvf.org/