sar_man
10-19-2010, 5:39 PM
Discussion between the candidates re CCW in Sac on KCRA channel 3 right now

thebronze
10-19-2010, 6:02 PM
Crap. I missed the first 15 mins...

samonya
10-21-2010, 8:01 AM
the debate is here http://www.kcra.com/r/25448125/detail.html . why wont Jones post his ccw shall issue stance on his website like Cooper?

domino
10-21-2010, 8:04 AM
the debate is here http://www.kcra.com/r/25448125/detail.html . why wont Jones post his ccw shall issue stance on his website like Cooper?

Maybe he is just saying what we want to hear right now for the election, this way you cant hold his feet to the fire and say look what I printed out from your website and how come you are now going back on your word. I think he too thinks Sykes will be tossed out in a few weeks. The Sheriff just said that on Armstrong and Getty. He said in a few weeks it will be tossed out and that the lawsuit has not made any difference.

samonya
10-21-2010, 8:07 AM
I wonder the same thing. Im not a Cooper supporter but It seems like his stance on ccw is crystal clear right now "shall issue". I would like to hear why Jones hasn't posted a ccw section on his website from a JONES SUPPORTER.

domino
10-21-2010, 8:12 AM
I would take Coopers word over Jones , at least Cooper has it posted in writting and has made certain that it is something he strongly supports, Im telling you guys Jones is not all warm and cozy on ccw's, if he was, then why was there only 90 issued last year and more than half of them were issued to the departments security guards, the year before that, there was 6, now today he says 218, like Armstrong and Getty are saying, this is all politics due to the race, I believe the same thing. I think Jones has been very careful in how he handles what he says about CCw's, this way he can back out of it if he wants to. He is a lawyer , lets not forget that, so the use of symantics is something he is pretty good at.

Gray Peterson
10-21-2010, 8:22 AM
Jones won't post the CCW stuff on his website because that isn't a primary focus of his campaign. A sheriff is not the guy who kicks in the door during a raid. It is a management position with a lot of paperwork signing mostly.

Jones is known for that kind of paperwork signing and has support from a lot of various constituencies in Sacramento County. Posting it front and center on the website costs him votes when he was ahead in the primary.

Cooper, on the other hand, is a street cop by knowledge and what I call a "doorkicker". There are lots of folks who like that sort of mentality here on this forum. Cooper is going after our vote, and doing a lot of gun shows and stuff on top of regular fundraising, whereas Jones speaks at rallies and then goes to other fundraisers.

Folks here should vote what mentality they want in terms of "street cop" versus "manager". Regardless of who wins, we as a community can help them get their process up to snuff.

domino
10-21-2010, 8:47 AM
He wont post it on his website because it cost him votes? Then why does he do so many interviews and comes out and says that he is all for CCW.

a lot of various constituencies in Sacramento County are non issuing and anti-ccw, that he has support from. I dont remember him posting it front and center on his website.

We should vote our mentality? Do you know if Cooper has also been a manager of various departments? I think he has been. Jones the manager, has been doing such a great job hasnt he, layoffs, lack of public safety, math errors that cost even more deputy jobs, failed to get federal money to save jobs etc... Great management style, but let me guess what will be said next - his name isnt on the door yet? Thats his typical answer even though he is a carbon copy of McGinness and has been his right hand man for years..... As I said before , Gray if you lived here and payed taxes here that would be one thing, but dont you live in washington? Why are you so into this race and so behind Jones? Just curious...

samonya
10-21-2010, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the input Gray. I would just feel more comfortable if he at least used the term "shall issue" on the kcra debate and in the sac bee.

snowdog650
10-21-2010, 9:08 AM
To me, Cooper said the magic words during the debate:

"SHALL ISSUE".

Jones never said "shall issue" during his hemming and hawing and handwringing while trying to dodge the question.

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 9:22 AM
Domino, are you upset that a Washington resident has done more to free Californians than most Sacramentans?

Outside of voting for a Sheriff candidate with the sexiest soundbyte, how are you making California shall-issue?

Gray Peterson
10-21-2010, 9:24 AM
He wont post it on his website because it cost him votes? Then why does he do so many interviews and comes out and says that he is all for CCW.

a lot of various constituencies in Sacramento County are non issuing and anti-ccw, that he has support from. I dont remember him posting it front and center on his website.

We should vote our mentality? Do you know if Cooper has also been a manager of various departments? I think he has been. Jones the manager, has been doing such a great job hasnt he, layoffs, lack of public safety, math errors that cost even more deputy jobs, failed to get federal money to save jobs etc... Great management style, but let me guess what will be said next - his name isnt on the door yet? Thats his typical answer even though he is a carbon copy of McGinness and has been his right hand man for years..... As I said before , Gray if you lived here and payed taxes here that would be one thing, but dont you live in washington? Why are you so into this race and so behind Jones? Just curious...

A) Myself and others organized a determined effort to get applicants to apply for licenses to carry for the purpose of self defense to test the system and get it out there that carry licenses are issued that reason. I believe you stated that you were not applying until the election, and I told you to apply now instead of the election.

B) I do not support either candidate per se. It would be inappropriate for me to endorse a candidate. I do not live in Sacramento County. I have, however, offered to Cooper ideas (since he asked for ideas) to fix the system via an automated licensing system process. If Jones asks for the same help on this forum or privately, I am willing to help Jones too to fix up the process if he is elected.

This isn't about politics. This is about the civil rights of 1.5 million people.

thebronze
10-21-2010, 9:27 AM
I would take Coopers word over Jones , at least Cooper has it posted in writting and has made certain that it is something he strongly supports, Im telling you guys Jones is not all warm and cozy on ccw's, if he was, then why was there only 90 issued last year and more than half of them were issued to the departments security guards, the year before that, there was 6, now today he says 218, like Armstrong and Getty are saying, this is all politics due to the race, I believe the same thing. I think Jones has been very careful in how he handles what he says about CCw's, this way he can back out of it if he wants to. He is a lawyer , lets not forget that, so the use of symantics is something he is pretty good at.

This is spot on.

Jones doesn't have it on his website because he doesn't really like CCW's.
He's lying when he says he does.

That's why he does all the hemming and hawing.

domino
10-21-2010, 9:50 AM
Domino, are you upset that a Washington resident has done more to free Californians than most Sacramentans?

Outside of voting for a Sheriff candidate with the sexiest soundbyte, how are you making California shall-issue?

I do my part, I donate, write letters, attand rallies, vote etc..., hell I have also served my country and proudly and it does piss me off that we were unable to obtain this right years ago.

Im not upset at all, why would I be, oh becasue he is from Washington and you are from a different county? I think it is great that our rights are finally coming to fruition, its about time.

Tell me Brandon when did you get your CCW? How is your county that you live in doing with regards to issuing ccw's?

not-fishing
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
As an individual who has "Come up thru the ranks" in my business, Construction, I've always favored "field men" over "suits".

I might be over "half a century" but I can still form, pour and finish Concrete. just not for very long

I still take the advice of field men over "Engineers" and "Construction Managers".

It has to do with experience and what works.

domino
10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
As an individual who has "Come up thru the ranks" in my business, Construction, I've always favored "field men" over "suits".

I might be over "half a century" but I can still form, pour and finish Concrete. just not for very long

I still take the advice of field men over "Engineers" and "Construction Managers".

Tell your son Thank You for his Service and I wish him well, My son was just called up for afghanistan.

fullrearview
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM

And the other portion was to Reserve Deputies.....I know. I was one of them!

Gray Peterson
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I do my part, I donate, write letters, attand rallies, vote etc..., hell I have also served my country and proudly and it does piss me off that we were unable to obtain this right years ago.

Im not upset at all, why would I be, oh becasue he is from Washington and you are from a different county? I think it is great that our rights are finally coming to fruition, its about time.

Tell me Brandon when did you get your CCW? How is your county that you live in doing with regards to issuing ccw's?

Don't redirect this to Brandon and what he's done (I can give you a list several pages long).

Focus this back on me. You had a problem with me supposedly supporting Jones (which I never did). I called Cooper a "doorkicker", which in certain circumstances is not a bad thing and it is NOT an insult here.

There's nothing wrong with that. All that I'm saying is the right to bear is beyond silly partisan politics. Vote for who you wish.

-Gray

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to understand why you said:

...Gray if you lived here and payed taxes here that would be one thing, but dont you live in washington? Why are you so into this race and so behind Jones? Just curious...

Is it possibly that his efforts create situations where he he more information at his disposal to form informed opinions?

Is it possibly that he understands the moving parts better as a neutral advocate with no horse in the race?

I live in Contra Costa County, having just moved here from Alameda County. I do not have a CCW. I'm just another guy, and I live a pretty average Joe life. However, liberty and the future of this Republic matter enough to me that I should fight for it even when I don't personally stand to gain.

As far as how it's going in the Bay, I'm pretty confident we'll be opening a number of doors over here, just as we will be throughout the state. And just as we did in Sacramento.

domino
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to understand why you said:

Is it possibly that his efforts create situations where he he more information at his disposal to form informed opinions?

Is it possibly that he understands the moving parts better as a neutral advocate with no horse in the race?

I live in Contra Costa County, having just moved here from Alameda County. I do not have a CCW. I'm just another guy, and I live a pretty average Joe life. However, liberty and the future of this Republic matter enough to me that I should fight for it even when I don't personally stand to gain.

As far as how it's going in the Bay, I'm pretty confident we'll be opening a number of doors over here, just as we will be throughout the state. And just as we did in Sacramento.

this is getting confussing, you say "just as you have in Sacramento" - but according to the show this morning, you guys didnt do anything - McGinness said it has nothing to do with Sykes and that lawsuit will be gone in the next week or so, he also states that nobody was applying and that is the reason for so few permits being issued in the past, so maybe he isnt being truthful - yet on another post you state it is because Jones has opened his line of communication up and is working with you guys and he is the supervisor for this department - yet Jones says over and over again that his name isnt on the door.
Dont get me wrong I am glad to see this starting to happen, I hope it is because of the foundation for that matter and all the work that has been going into it. I hope it is becasue of the pressure form here and other places that have been working to get this accomplished.
The day I hear "we are now shall issue" is the day that I will celebrate.

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Sacramento is effectively shall issue. We've been saying that for some time, and alluding to it longer.

I'm amused you so readily accept the on-air words of a Sheriff sued in Federal court by Alan Gura and Don Kilmer as truthful. :rolleyes:

domino
10-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Sacramento is effectively shall issue. We've been saying that for some time, and alluding to it longer.

I'm amused you take the on-air words of a Sheriff sued in Federal court by Alan Gura and Don Kilmer as truthful. :rolleyes:

I'm amused you take the on-air words of a Sheriff sued in Federal court by Alan Gura and Don Kilmer as truthful My point exactly and this is who Jones has been groomed by....Im just saying, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm amused you take the on-air words of a Sheriff sued in Federal court by Alan Gura and Don Kilmer as truthful My point exactly and this is who Jones has been groomed by....Im just saying, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

And yet we consistently seem to understand - and where it wouldn't compromise some aspect, predict - how and when certain changes take place...

Fascinating coincidence.

If you'll allow yourself leave to view a broader set of facts it might remedy your confusion.

The reality is that sheriffs have no real bearing on the issue of carry beyond the limited time between now and a Federal acknowledgement of our right to bear via Sykes or Palmer with the more enduring exception of procedural aspects, which we're concurrently addressing as part of our Carry License/CCW Compliance and Sunshine Initiative (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/news/152-ccw-initiative).

Bret Daniels
10-21-2010, 6:53 PM

I'm amused you so readily accept the on-air words of a Sheriff sued in Federal court by Alan Gura and Don Kilmer as truthful. :rolleyes:

Your saying that our illustrious Sheriff, the most widely respected political leader in Sacramento, the person that states unequivocally that Scott Jones is "squeky clean", the very man that has "led" this department for the last four years, is a liar???

The Original Godfather
10-21-2010, 7:07 PM
Regardless of who wins, I hope they just stick to what they say and do what they said they will do. :cool:

If Sacramento County becomes shall issue, then for the love of God I hope that turns some heads hear in the Bay Area *cough*Santa Clara*cough* and go shall issue. Sacramento County is no pee-wee league county, it is after all our state capital...

domino
10-21-2010, 7:38 PM
Isnt it sad though to hear the Sheriff say "I rejected people in my own department due to their character", yet they still work there? Lol.... That kind of shows a lack of character on his part. Unreal, to hear him say this when he had a deputy that yelled rape, a sheriff car was wrecked in route to her, yet she was still on payroll, then next thing you know she drives her car through a starbucks and then she gets fired, lol, and this is the guy that has been deciding CCW's based on character lol...he shouldnt have said anything. From the things he said about his own employee's is pretty bad, wonder if they have thought of filing a suit based on his admisions.

thebronze
10-21-2010, 7:46 PM
Isnt it sad though to hear the Sheriff say "I rejected people in my own department due to their character", yet they still work there? Lol.... That kind of shows a lack of character on his part. Unreal, to hear him say this when he had a deputy that yelled rape, a sheriff car was wrecked in route to her, yet she was still on payroll, then next thing you know she drives her car through a starbucks and then she gets fired, lol, and this is the guy that has been deciding CCW's based on character lol...he shouldnt have said anything. From the things he said about his own employee's is pretty bad, wonder if they have thought of filing a suit based on his admisions.

But for God's sake, vote for Scott Jones, things are sure to change!

sasc40cal
10-25-2010, 5:25 PM
But for God's sake, vote for Scott Jones, things are sure to change!

strange, some people on here say this isnt political at all, This is getting hard to believe, anybody else see the notice today from CGN, did you see the signature line? It says Matt Ross, now go to scott jones website and look at his contact me page, matt ross same phone numbers. hmmmmm

negolien
10-25-2010, 6:03 PM
Priority #1 in my opinion should be getting more boots on the ground. The fact that 45% of the force has been cut is complete and utter lunacy. When will essential services get the funding they need. Kings Arenas, welfare and other entitlements to both the county and its citizens should never come before essential services.

thebronze
10-25-2010, 6:26 PM
strange, some people on here say this isnt political at all, This is getting hard to believe, anybody else see the notice today from CGN, did you see the signature line? It says Matt Ross, now go to scott jones website and look at his contact me page, matt ross same phone numbers. hmmmmm

Just for clarification, my post about Jones was pure sarcasm. Meaning, a vote for Jones is a vote for another four years of John McGinness.

CSDGuy
10-25-2010, 6:40 PM
Priority #1 in my opinion should be getting more boots on the ground. The fact that 45% of the force has been cut is complete and utter lunacy. When will essential services get the funding they need. Kings Arenas, welfare and other entitlements to both the county and its citizens should never come before essential services.
I'd agree with that... and guess what? Getting more boots on the ground is not something that the Sheriff can do on his own. He can have staff write grant requests... he can lobby the Board of Supervisors... but whatever he gets for funding, he's stuck with. What's worse is that he's locked into providing certain levels of service to the jails, courts, airport, contract cities... so maintaining those and patrol services and everything else gets difficult. The incoming Sheriff has got a budgetary mess on his hands so he's going to have to come up with a way to do what needs to be done in a more efficient manner.

Frank Scafidi
10-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd agree with that... and guess what? Getting more boots on the ground is not something that the Sheriff can do on his own. He can have staff write grant requests... he can lobby the Board of Supervisors... but whatever he gets for funding, he's stuck with. What's worse is that he's locked into providing certain levels of service to the jails, courts, airport, contract cities... so maintaining those and patrol services and everything else gets difficult. The incoming Sheriff has got a budgetary mess on his hands so he's going to have to come up with a way to do what needs to be done in a more efficient manner.

The fiscal health and resource utilization of the sheriff's department under McGinness has not been adequately explored, IMO, and doing so might help explain why 130 deputies had to be laid off last year in the first place.

Indeed, the sheriff gets a budget from the BOS, but there were and are ways for the department to use those dollars more effectively--McGinness, presumably with the concurrence of his legal advisor and chief of staff, Scott Jones, chose to create specialty units (the motorcycle crew comes to mind) rather than keeping the focus on front-line enforcement.

Scott Jones likes to point to his time as the jail commander as a high water mark in his career, yet why didn't he lobby the sheriff to replace sworn deputies in the jails with corrections officers or some other classification of personnel allowing the sworn folks to hit the streets?

Why couldn't POP officers (while we had them) handle calls for service as their duties permitted rather than just POP calls?

My point is that McGinness could have done more to protect those jobs but was either unwilling or uninterested in doing so. Instead, he chose to engage the public through fear mongering and urge them to contact the BOS to demand that his funding be enhanced.

That is despicable and pathetic leadership.

I don't think Jones will be so callous, should he be elected, but he is next in the long tradition of "accepting the baton" from the outgoing sheriff. Why?

Cooper, on the other hand, has identified areas where budget dollars could be saved and where cuts could have been made to spare those patrol jobs.
And Cooper knows where to go to find the buried treasure.

Who has a more vested interest in keeping the department's secrets under wraps?

Cooper is the better choice for sheriff next Tuesday.

Jim Cooper for Sheriff
10-28-2010, 7:33 PM
To All here at Calguns,

Tonight on Channel 10 in Sac, during a debate with my opponent I stated Calguns endorsed me. I know this organization does not endorse candidates and it was a gaff in the heat of the conversation. I sincerely apologize.

Everyone on this site has been absolutely great to me. You have answered all my questions and helped me along the way, and even called me out on issues. Again, although many on this forum support me I do sincerely apologize if I offended any of you, or this organization by making this mistake.

Regardless of how this election turns out I will be back on here after Nov. 3rd offering my thanks once again.

Jim

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 7:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for stopping by on the forum and admitting the error, and good luck on Tuesday.

Seesm
10-28-2010, 7:51 PM
I did not meet Jones but I did meet Cooper and he seemed like a very nice guy and was honest that he was not into CCW till he learned more about it all... I think that shows what kind of guy he is...

samonya
10-28-2010, 8:17 PM
where can I find the debate

RP1911
10-28-2010, 8:25 PM
To All here at Calguns,

Tonight on Channel 10 in Sac, during a debate with my opponent I stated Calguns endorsed me. I know this organization does not endorse candidates and it was a gaff in the heat of the conversation. I sincerely apologize.

Everyone on this site has been absolutely great to me. You have answered all my questions and helped me along the way, and even called me out on issues. Again, although many on this forum support me I do sincerely apologize if I offended any of you, or this organization by making this mistake.

Regardless of how this election turns out I will be back on here after Nov. 3rd offering my thanks once again.

Jim

Check your private message please.

jb7706
10-29-2010, 7:37 AM
where can I find the debate

Not certain, but I think this is it: http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=103113&catid=29

ETA: That is the correct debate, CCW and Jim's endorsement gaffe is in part 2.

samonya
10-29-2010, 7:39 AM
Jones was just on the Armstrong and Getty show. Every time that guy talks ccw he makes me uncomfortable. He sounded just like Mcgiuness when he was on the show last week. He said Sykes didnt matter and that there was no change in policy.

thebronze
10-29-2010, 7:48 AM
Jones was just on the Armstrong and Getty show. Every time that guy talks ccw he makes me uncomfortable. He sounded just like Mcgiuness when he was on the show last week. He said Sykes didnt matter and that there was no change in policy.

That's because he's a liar. Just like Sheriff Turkey-neck!

How many times has Scott Jones been on these boards?

How many times has Cooper?

Socom16Fan
10-29-2010, 9:38 AM
Just for clarification, my post about Jones was pure sarcasm. Meaning, a vote for Jones is a vote for another four years of John McGinness.

/\ That /\

I have seen both speak about this issue. Cooper definitely has the straight up NON political, get it done attitude. Cooper has also spoke of his former lack of understanding of the CCW (legal) issue and clearly articulated that he researched the issue and came to the conclusion that he needed to be educated...and was... on the constitutional right to bear arms. Most specifically that he believes in a shall issue policy. He ate crow, he did it with dignity, he did it with humility, and then took a pro CCW stance.

Jones...not so much...

Being intimately involved with the Sheriff's race next door to Sac here in El Dorado County, I have developed a keen BS detector in regards to the politics of these races.

If you live in Sac county then please vote for Cooper

If you live in El Dorado County, please vote for John D'Agostini. John is a good man not corrupted by politics and believes we should all be able to CC for personal protection. Therkildsen....not so much...

And yes John is my friend so bias my vote may be. But I truly believe him to be a better man for the job.

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
/\ That /\

I have seen both speak about this issue. Cooper definitely has the straight up NON political, get it done attitude. Cooper has also spoke of his former lack of understanding of the CCW (legal) issue and clearly articulated that he researched the issue and came to the conclusion that he needed to be educated...and was... on the constitutional right to bear arms. Most specifically that he believes in a shall issue policy. He ate crow, he did it with dignity, he did it with humility, and then took a pro CCW stance.

Jones...not so much...

Being intimately involved with the Sheriff's race next door to Sac here in El Dorado County, I have developed a keen BS detector in regards to the politics of these races.

If you live in El Dorado County, please vote for John D'Agostini. John is a good man not corrupted by politics and believes we should all be able to CC for personal protection. Therkildsen....not so much...

And yes John is my friend so bias my vote may be. But I truly believe him to be a better man for the job.

I have to agree. Though I'm a little leery about endorsing anyone in Sacramento (both said "shall-issue"), the choice is clear in EDC: D'Agostini is the more pro-gun candidate.

-Gray

thebronze
10-29-2010, 11:43 AM
/\ That /\

Jones...not so much...

Therkildsen is a crook and a liar.

The rest of what you said about Cooper/Jones is spot-on.

Bret Daniels
11-01-2010, 5:37 PM
In October of last year, I announced my intention running for Sheriff of Sacramento County. My decision was based on my desire to see the people of Sacramento County protected to the best of the ability of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department, to allow them to protect themselves through commonsense issuing of Concealed Weapons permits and to provide the members of the department the ability to do their jobs to the fullest extent. My desire is still to see the citizens of Sacramento County protected to the fullest extent and the fine men and women of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department led properly. It is with that desire that I am supporting Captain Jim Cooper for Sheriff of Sacramento County.

Many factors were involved in my decision to support Captain Cooper but foremost in that decision was Captain Cooper’s significant level of direct law-enforcement experience as opposed to Captain Jones’ six-month career on the streets. The citizens of Sacramento County do not need a lawyer to protect them; they need a cop that understands what it means to put his life on the line day after day. They need someone that has been willing to put himself in the trenches and in harm’s way and not a person who has driven a desk for 20 years building a resume. And the good men and women of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department need a leader they can respect, not one that they feel engaged in an on-going criminal relationship with known ex-felons to provide confidential information in exchange for financial gain despite what the media wants to report.

In making the decision to support Captain Jim Cooper, his experience as a Councilmember and the Mayor of the second largest city in Sacramento County was also a pivotal point. The position of Sheriff of Sacramento County is a political one and understanding the processes and having the relationships needed, and not just the sound bite endorsements, from the first day in office will be critical for the next Sheriff in repairing the damage that has been done to the department over the last four years.

And finally, all of you know the importance I place in the 2nd Amendment and the right of the people to protect themselves. I have been assured by Captain Cooper and feel confident in his words that those wishing to protect themselves will be allowed to do so through a commonsense approach to issuing concealed weapons permits based on "Shall Issue" philosophies. I promise those of you who have supported my efforts with this critical issue paramount to that support that I will hold Captain Cooper’s feet to the fire on this one.

It is time to reinvent the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department and the best person to do that now is Captain Jim Cooper. That reinvention cannot occur by simply allowing the current Sheriff to ordain his successor, indeed his right-hand man, when it is those very souls that have been the decision-makers and have got us to where we are today. All across America, we are saying no to incumbents and chosen successors. It is time to do the same in Sacramento County and I ask those that supported me to now join me in supporting Captain Jim Cooper as the next Sheriff of Sacramento County.

Frank Scafidi
11-01-2010, 8:27 PM
Bret,

Well said, sir. I join in your support of Jim Cooper tomorrow.

For everyone, please vote tomorrow if you haven't yet done so. That is our voice and untold numbers have sacrificed their lives to ensure that right for all of us.

Bret Daniels
11-02-2010, 1:19 PM
KFBK 1530 has closed out their poll and Jim Cooper has won an impressive 62%-38% victory over Scott Jones for Sheriff of Sacramento County.

http://www.kfbk.com/pages/KFBKAfternoonNews.html?page=2

thebronze
11-02-2010, 1:31 PM
KFBK 1530 has closed out their poll and Jim Cooper has won an impressive 62%-38% victory over Scott Jones for Sheriff of Sacramento County.

http://www.kfbk.com/pages/KFBKAfternoonNews.html?page=2

Let's hope that keeps up.

ArmedWolf
11-02-2010, 8:52 PM
Any count yet on the sheriff race?

harbinger007
11-02-2010, 8:56 PM
With 57% of the precincts reporting, Jones has 53.9%
http://www.sacbee.com/

CSDGuy
11-02-2010, 9:25 PM
According to the Sacramento County Registrar of voters 59% precincts reporting, Jones has 53.63% of the votes.

samonya
11-02-2010, 9:54 PM
so is it a done deal, or does Cooper have a chance?

CSDGuy
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Jones now has 51.85%, 755 of 1158 reporting. Does Cooper have a chance? It might be very close.

wildhawker
11-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Jones - 84,430 51.11%
Cooper - 80,195 48.55%
880/1158 precincts reporting (76%)

CSDGuy
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Jones 50.74%
Cooper 48.91%
1022/1158 precincts.

CSDGuy
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Final Numbers:

Jones: 50.86%
Cooper: 48.8%
1158 of 1158 precincts reported.

Scott Jones won, Jim Cooper lost. It looked to be a squeaker! Guys, you both fought a long and difficult campaign. You did your best.

Congrats Scott Jones!

Choptop
11-04-2010, 8:42 AM
I heard this morning on the radio that there is a 5000 vote difference, with 100,000 ballots left to count.

this one aint over.

With all precincts reporting earlier today, Jones held a 51 to 49 percent lead over Cooper, but county elections spokesman Brad Buyse said today that there still may be as many as 108,000 vote-by-mail ballots and 12,000 provisional ballots that remain to be counted.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/03/3156388/outcome-of-sacramento-sheriffs.html#ixzz14KhVC0Q9

results could take up to two weeks.

teeeeee-heeeeee ..... two weeks :D

Bret Daniels
11-04-2010, 8:10 PM
As you have seen, Cooper is trending up and Jones is trending down. Jones still holds a slight lead at 51%-49%. There are approx 100,000 votes to be counted with the majority of those votes probably coming from within the Sac city limits. The bean counters must first count absentee/provisionals from the 1st Senate district due to a runoff that will occur there in January. This includes areas such as Orangevale, Fair Oaks, Folsom and Carmichael where Jones beats Cooper. Look for the spread to widen when the first counts get announced (probably Friday sometime). But as they then move into the non-1st Senate district areas, look for the gap to narrow as these are areas where Cooper did better. We won't know for sure who won this race for probably two weeks but I'm going with Cooper 50.7% to Jones 49.3%. Not that I'm biased or anything.

CSDGuy
11-05-2010, 9:27 PM
Today they released an update... and they haven't yet announced when the next update will be. Right now the difference is now 7350 votes. They have not released an update of how many ballots still need to be counted since the 3rd. Just at a glance, it looks like they were only able to get through about 15-20k ballots so far.

Jones: 51.18
Cooper: 48.49

thebronze
11-15-2010, 8:37 PM
Jones declares victory after Cooper concedes in Sacramento sheriff's race

Scott Jones declared victory tonight in his bid to become Sacramento County's next sheriff, following a call of congratulations from opponent Jim Cooper after a hard-fought race that left the two men only about 5,000 votes apart.

Jones had been hesitant to declare himself the winner until it was assured, but said after a call from Cooper that he was ready to declare he would be replacing retiring Sheriff John McGinness.

"I have to say it now, we've won, because we need to start working to move the department forward," Jones said from Southern California, where he was attending a law enforcement conference.

Cooper said he called Jones at about 5 p.m. to congratulate him and promised to help him correct problems inside the department.

"I told him I'm ready to help him in any way I can," Cooper said. "I'm ready to roll up my sleeves."

Figures released this afternoon by Sacramento County elections officials show Jones with 178,636 votes to Cooper's 173,674. Another 65,587 ballots that were counted did not list votes for any sheriff's candidate.

Elections spokesman Brad Buyse said there are only 8,774 "provisional" ballots left to count, and that the next update in the race will be posted Thursday afternoon.

But Cooper said it would be "too difficult to overcome" Jones' lead with the remaining ballots and that despite his loss he was proud of the campaign he had run.

"My supporters ran a great race and we have nothing to be ashamed of," Cooper said.

You people that voted for Jones will regret doing so. I guarantee.

Lone_Gunman
11-15-2010, 9:04 PM

What do you expect we'll see from Jones? Curious.

hoffmang
11-15-2010, 9:07 PM
Now that the race is over I can confirm that I expect Jones to be a good friend to gun owners. On other issues, I have no idea.

-Gene

thebronze
11-15-2010, 9:49 PM
What do you expect we'll see from Jones? Curious.

A far less stellar performance than we just had with McGinness, for starters.

SSD will be almost unrecognizable in another 4 yrs and I don't mean that in a good way.

If you think you get crappy service now...

Lone_Gunman
11-15-2010, 9:54 PM
Frankly at this point in my life the only "service" I expect or require from SSD is to issue me a CCW and not step on the Bill of Rights. My city PD are the ones I call if I have an issue and I always start the conversation with "I'm a member of the xxxxx xxxxxxx area neighborhood watch..." They seem to respond in a timely manner.

thebronze
11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Frankly at this point in my life the only "service" I expect or require from SSD is to issue me a CCW and not step on the Bill of Rights. My city PD are the ones I call if I have an issue and I always start the conversation with "I'm a member of the xxxxx xxxxxxx area neighborhood watch..." They seem to respond in a timely manner.

Those of us that live in the County have to rely on SSD...

thefinger
11-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Those of us that live in the County have to rely on SSD...

You know what... no matter who is Sheriff, they have no money to put more troops on the street. That means those of us in county territory are going to be fending for ourselves in the foreseeable future. Its a shame to see neighborhoods that I grew up in (and that I had planned on raising my family in) go to hell because there's no police presence. Virtual CCW couldn't have happened at a better time, because unfortunately we'll probably need it. The county is done for.

supersonic
11-15-2010, 10:36 PM

I don't doubt you one bit. He has too many strikes against himself: 1.He was McGinness' 'Consigliere' 2. He was backed by McGinness 3. Look what kind of sheriff McGinness was and (probably of even MORE importance) Scott Jones only worked the streets for 6 MONTHS!:rofl2: (Cooper was a dedicated street cop for many years).....And 4.Scott Jones is nothing but a career politician. Just like his predecessor.

In my time on Earth (over 4 decades), you're usually O.U.T. after 3 strikes. And he hasn't even taken office yet.;)

Jim Cooper is who we desperately needed. It just seems like no matter how much support we give & try to get the 'right guy' elected (in statewide AND national polls) we always seem to get hosed somehow.:rolleyes:

Just my .02 (obviously that's all my vote for Cooper was worth)

hoffmang
11-15-2010, 11:30 PM
If Jones was Consigliere, who drove the decision to go shall issue and continue to improve the issuance process including removing the school zone restriction then?

Hrm....

:gene:

-Gene

wildhawker
11-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Two comments:

1. No one has yet responded to the implications of the many posts by Gene and me on the Sacto CCW improvements as he most recently restated above.

2. If gun owners were truly politically relevant in California, wouldn't we have noticed it in any one of many gun-centric races this cycle? There was no greater CCW-centered race than in Sacto, and no one was more vocal than Cooper. Why couldn't gun owners get him elected?

How about Sheriff Jay in San Diego?

Hunt(er?) in Orange?

Cortez in SLO?

The NRA/CRPA ratings & endorsements - how many votes did those swing or add? Could we count on just a few hands?

Let this election year serve as a lesson to anyone who thinks they can take guns as a platform into mainstream popular politics in a politically-substantive urban or suburban jurisdiction of California.

(Group open carry, I'm looking at you.)

CSDGuy
11-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't doubt you one bit. He has too many strikes against himself: 1.He was McGinness' 'Consigliere' 2. He was backed by McGinness 3. Look what kind of sheriff McGinness was and (probably of even MORE importance) Scott Jones only worked the streets for 6 MONTHS!:rofl2: (Cooper was a dedicated street cop for many years).....And 4.Scott Jones is nothing but a career politician. Just like his predecessor.

In my time on Earth (over 4 decades), you're usually O.U.T. after 3 strikes. And he hasn't even taken office yet.;)

Jim Cooper is who we desperately needed. It just seems like no matter how much support we give & try to get the 'right guy' elected (in statewide AND national polls) we always seem to get hosed somehow.:rolleyes:

Just my .02 (obviously that's all my vote for Cooper was worth)
McGinness backed Jones. Cooper was backed by Blanas. Guess who backed McGinness? Yep. Blanas. Whose CCW mess was McGinness stuck with? Blanas. Who has been very vocal about CCW issuance for the past 2 budget cycles? McGinness. Ever wonder why he was so vocal about that??? Who can exert powerful influence over the County Board of Supervisors and has exerted a powerful influence in the Sheriff's Office but ISN'T a Deputy? Probably the same people that are part of the CCW mess from before the days of Blanas. That might just be the reason why the BoS "found" and shuffled some dollars to the SSD at the expense of other County agencies two years ago and a bit this past year too.

It very well could be that McGinness backed Jones because Jones isn't beholden to those people and is probably intelligent enough to pick the right people to run the SSD the way it needs to be run. I don't think it takes a GENIUS to know that the SSD has to be run more efficiently now, because operating budgets are going to be smaller than in years past...

At this point, I think that there'll be some house-cleaning, reassignments, and retirements, just as there inevitably is during each change of command, but only time will tell if the VOTERS made the right decision.

supersonic
11-16-2010, 3:12 AM
If Jones was Consigliere, who drove the decision to go shall issue and continue to improve the issuance process including removing the school zone restriction then?

Hrm....

:gene:

-Gene

Well, if you guys (CGF) hadn't put in all that time/work/$$$ from CGN donations, there wouldn't have been any pressure (read: lawsuits) put on these guys to do what was right. BUT: they had to be forced to do it, plain & simple. If the lawyers hadn't shown up, this county would still be, essentially, "no issue."

McGinness backed Jones. Cooper was backed by Blanas. Guess who backed McGinness? Yep. Blanas. Whose CCW mess was McGinness stuck with? Blanas. Who has been very vocal about CCW issuance for the past 2 budget cycles? McGinness. Ever wonder why he was so vocal about that??? Who can exert powerful influence over the County Board of Supervisors and has exerted a powerful influence in the Sheriff's Office but ISN'T a Deputy? Probably the same people that are part of the CCW mess from before the days of Blanas. That might just be the reason why the BoS "found" and shuffled some dollars to the SSD at the expense of other County agencies two years ago and a bit this past year too.

It very well could be that McGinness backed Jones because Jones isn't beholden to those people and is probably intelligent enough to pick the right people to run the SSD the way it needs to be run. I don't think it takes a GENIUS to know that the SSD has to be run more efficiently now, because operating budgets are going to be smaller than in years past...

At this point, I think that there'll be some house-cleaning, reassignments, and retirements, just as there inevitably is during each change of command, but only time will tell if the VOTERS made the right decision.

You know, your point(s) are duly noted. I'm just pissed off because the truly RIGHT guy didn't win & I put a LOT of effort (as much as I could - I got over 2 dozen people - that I can say for SURE - to vote for him) into "doing what I felt was my part" in trying to get the better man elected. When it all boils down to the bare essentials, no matter who 'backed who,' we now have another politician (FIRST and FOREMOST) as our "Top Cop" rather than a true COP as our 'Top Cop.' And, as someone who probably knows A LOT more about the inner-workings of a police department than most people in this thread stated: we are going to be very sorry Jones is now 'the man.' Mark those words.;)

supersonic
11-16-2010, 3:19 AM
Two comments:

1. No one has yet responded to the implications of the many posts by Gene and me on the Sacto CCW improvements as he most recently restated above.

2. If gun owners were truly politically relevant in California, wouldn't we have noticed it in any one of many gun-centric races this cycle? There was no greater CCW-centered race than in Sacto, and no one was more vocal than Cooper. Why couldn't gun owners get him elected?

How about Sheriff Jay in San Diego?

Hunt(er?) in Orange?

Cortez in SLO?

The NRA/CRPA ratings & endorsements - how many votes did those swing or add? Could we count on just a few hands?

Let this election year serve as a lesson to anyone who thinks they can take guns as a platform into mainstream popular politics in a politically-substantive urban or suburban jurisdiction of California.

(Group open carry, I'm looking at you.)

I'm in complete agreement with you, Brandon. Except that in your statement, I think the word highlighted in red would be more accurate if changed to "'the civilians right to self-defense as the police can't protect them." I guess it is now just plain obvious that the majority here in California truly believe in the 'anti' mindset and that the police will always be there to protect them. I guess it will take a tenfold increase (actually, probably a LOT MORE) in the unarmed sheep to become real victims of violent crimes before the logic of "it CAN happen to me....whooda' thunk?" will start to wake the majority up to what it is like to be told whether or not they have 'permission' to defend themselves. Most of the time, though, THAT is usually too late, or "too little, too late."It's just too bad there isn't a whole lot of common sense out there. It has become a precious, rare commodity.