PDA

View Full Version : Suit case gun

Smokey510
10-19-2010, 4:37 PM
Ok, ya'll have seen the movies and stuff where dude has a gun that shoots from the inside of a guitar case or a suit case. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

My question is, is that legal? I mean, if you follow all gun transportation laws and all that, can you take a suit case gun to the range and play around with it?

Think about it. How many of you have the holy grail of fire arms? A fire arm for every situation you can be in? How many people have a suit case gun? It seems to me like it may be a required firearm accessory for the enthusiast that has everything.

Flopper
10-19-2010, 4:43 PM
Not legal in CA.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does
any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any
cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any
firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm. . .

Liberty1
10-19-2010, 4:53 PM
Prohibited by PC 12020(c)(9).

Liberty1
10-19-2010, 4:55 PM
Not legal in CA.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does
any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured,
imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any
cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any
firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm. . .

That is a zip gun prohibition. See my above citation for the proper section.

russ69
10-19-2010, 4:59 PM
I've seen a briefcase Mac10 setup, very spooky, not legal now.

Thanx, Russ

Smokey510
10-19-2010, 5:25 PM
Thanks guys!

woodey
10-19-2010, 5:30 PM
If it's cool or fun it's not legal in California

RomanDad
10-19-2010, 5:34 PM
The mp5k briefcase is an AOW itself.

freonr22
10-19-2010, 5:37 PM
I've seen a briefcase Mac10 setup, very spooky, not legal now.

Thanx, Russ

mee too when I was 10 in 1980

ke6guj
10-19-2010, 5:38 PM
12020(a)(1) is the violation, for a camouflaging firearm container.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, .....

the definition of that is under 12020(c)(9)
12020(c)(9)As used in this section, a "camouflaging firearm container" means a container which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It is designed and intended to enclose a firearm.
(B) It is designed and intended to allow the firing of the enclosed firearm by external controls while the firearm is in the container.
(C) It is not readily recognizable as containing a firearm. "Camouflaging firearm container" does not include any camouflaging covering used while engaged in lawful hunting or while going to or returning from a lawful hunting expedition.

unfortunately even though the feds allow for it if the firearm placed inside it is registered as an AOW, the container itself is not an AOW, so I don't think the AOW exemption in 12020 would allow for us to get one in CA.

NightOwl
10-19-2010, 7:29 PM
Seems like you'd be able to circumvent some of the major roadblocks to owning this...umm...fine piece of...whatever it is with a couple inexpensive adjustments.

Make sure the case is permenantly attached to the gun. Welded maybe? At least bolted on securely. Now it's a part, not a container.

As for the gun being immediately recognizable as such, write/paint/sticker the entire container so that it says "THIS IS A GUN" many times and clearly from every angle. Sure, not as "cool" as the plain ol' guitar case look, but if a reasonable person should be able to recognize it's a gun when it's written all over the case (perhaps with helpful arrows pointing out barrel/trigger/whatever?) multiple times.

cmth
10-19-2010, 8:05 PM
As for the gun being immediately recognizable as such, write/paint/sticker the entire container so that it says "THIS IS A GUN" many times and clearly from every angle. Sure, not as "cool" as the plain ol' guitar case look, but if a reasonable person should be able to recognize it's a gun when it's written all over the case (perhaps with helpful arrows pointing out barrel/trigger/whatever?) multiple times.

72460*

*Not an actual pipe bomb.

ZenMasta
10-19-2010, 8:43 PM
I think the pc is a little weird. Rifles technically aren't concealable so how would it be any different than a trench coat shotgun?

cmaynes
10-19-2010, 8:56 PM
The mp5k briefcase is an AOW itself.

the MP5k briefcase gun would be both an AOW and a Machine gun- I would personally think that ATF would class it as a Machine gun though.

What would be great i to get a suppressed one, then you are talking 3 tax stamps....

ke6guj
10-19-2010, 9:10 PM
the MP5k briefcase gun would be both an AOW and a Machine gun- I would personally think that ATF would class it as a Machine gun though.

What would be great i to get a suppressed one, then you are talking 3 tax stamps....

the briefcase itself is not anything federally. You can own one without violating federal law. If you install an MG into it, no addtional paperwork is neccessary. If you install a semi-auto firearm into it, the firearm becomes an AOW while it is installed. The briefcase is not an AOW.

A suppressed MP5K inside an operational briefcase would be 2 stamps, one for the MG and one for the suppressor. No stamp needed for the briefcase.

Chris J
10-20-2010, 12:07 AM
I have a related question: Suppose you custom built a lockable container that looked like something innocuous: a daily planner, for example. If you used it to carry a pistol, unloaded, with loaded magazines in the same container, would that be legal as under locked unloaded concealed carry? OK to carry in public or in a vehicle?

I believe it would, since there would be no provision for firing the gun while in the container and the container would be locked, but I'd be interested to hear what someone more familiar with the law has to say about it.

himurax13
10-20-2010, 7:30 AM
Does that make a Scooby Doo Lunch box with a lock on it a "Camouflaged firearm container"? If so then what is the difference between using a Pelican case for camera or firearms?

ZenDaddy
10-20-2010, 7:59 AM
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/michaeljmutch/HKbriefcase1.jpg

Very cool. Every mall ninja needs one.

FatalKitty
10-20-2010, 8:23 AM
I've seen these used in the early 90s by LAX security. Also along with Glock G18 automatics.

GrizzlyGuy
10-20-2010, 9:37 AM
Does that make a Scooby Doo Lunch box with a lock on it a "Camouflaged firearm container"? If so then what is the difference between using a Pelican case for camera or firearms?

No, a Scooby Doo lunch box or a Pelican case doesn't meet this bolded part of the definition that Jack posted above:

12020(c)(9)As used in this section, a "camouflaging firearm container" means a container which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It is designed and intended to enclose a firearm.
(B) It is designed and intended to allow the firing of the enclosed firearm by external controls while the firearm is in the container.
(C) It is not readily recognizable as containing a firearm. "Camouflaging firearm container" does not include any camouflaging covering used while engaged in lawful hunting or while going to or returning from a lawful hunting expedition.