PDA

View Full Version : Maryland: Delegate Smigiel before the handgun carry permit review board video

Kharn
10-19-2010, 2:55 PM
Delegate Smigiel (MD House of Delegates) decided he'd like to argue for an unrestricted carry license before the Maryland Handgun Carry Permit Review Board, to experience the process along with his constituents (one of whom he is representing in suing the HCPRB to be issued a permit, complimenting Gura's case suing for a renewed permit by another person).

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zs4zJjILi0)
I can't wait to see those guys out of a job. :D

Casual_Shooter
10-19-2010, 3:01 PM
That guy's got some long fingernails...

-Zs4zJjILi0

Drivedabizness
10-19-2010, 6:40 PM
Meethinks that guy (shown in the video) defines the word "smug"

choprzrul
10-19-2010, 7:14 PM
Meethinks that guy (shown in the video) defines the word "smug"

Meethinks you hit nail on the head...

morfeeis
10-19-2010, 7:23 PM
i love this video.......

leelaw
10-19-2010, 8:05 PM
Hm, rights are granted by God? Where in the Constitution is God mentioned, again?

2009_gunner
10-19-2010, 8:31 PM
Hm, rights are granted by God? Where in the Constitution is God mentioned, again?

Not in the Constitution, but in the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Theseus
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

But The Constitution doesn't grant rights either. . .

leelaw
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM
No, the Constitution structured the new republic government.

The Bill of Rights recognized inherent human rights, and restricted the government from usurping them.

As to the Declaration of Independence, it was a list of greivances against the King of England, and a public argument for the succession of the Colonies from the empire, and didn't form the basis of government for the United Colonies; that was done by the Articles of Confederation.. I mean Constitution, but I'm sure 2009 gunner knew that ;)

press1280
10-20-2010, 2:26 AM
The person talking was Smiegel or his constituent? Whoever it was seemed quite intent on getting the permit based on his rights alone, and didn't at least try at all for some other reason(I know we shouldn't need a reason, but all the "right" CCW cases did at least try). One angle I wish they could have brought up with the review board is if he travels to other states with his guns. Many of these may-issue state statutes are silent as far as traveling out of state with weapons, and FOPA is unreliable except for completely crossing over a state. It would seem a CCW would be needed just to avoid any possible issues with that.

Kharn
10-20-2010, 3:47 AM
The video is Delegate Smigiel regarding his own permit, I don't know if his client/constituent's video is available.

CHS
10-20-2010, 8:51 AM
The Bill of Rights recognized inherent human rights, and restricted the government from usurping them.

This.

No one "grants" us our rights. Not the Constitution, not God/Allah/Buddha/Muhammed/Peter/Paul/Mary/Jim, and not even really ourselves.

As a collective society we recognized humanity as having certain rights inherent to being human, and wrote that down so that they may be protected.