PDA

View Full Version : Heading to California, maybe...

Fixerbob
10-19-2010, 3:51 PM
Folks,
New to the forum so still searching around for info on repeal lawsuits, etc.

I'm leaving active duty in the Air Force and might have an outstanding job opportunity in Southern California. Of course, most of my firearms are prohibited in California, so will have to leave them in Texas with relatives. It's making the job decision a painful one.

Any hope here for repeals?

Thanks

ocspeedracer
10-19-2010, 3:54 PM
ya we all hope for it, maybe 10-15 years if all goes well. Welcome.

stix213
10-19-2010, 4:09 PM
You might be surprised how many of your "prohibited" firearms are actually legal with minor changes, if you haven't looked into it.

OleCuss
10-19-2010, 4:19 PM
You might be surprised how many of your "prohibited" firearms are actually legal with minor changes, if you haven't looked into it.

This.

You might want to list those which you believe you must leave behind and some of the experts here will likely help you fully understand whether you really must leave them behind or whether some relatively minor fixes will let you bring them with you.

No hope for your bringing your 10+ round magazines with you, though.

Fixerbob
10-19-2010, 4:19 PM
Good point--Still doing research and will see what's possible.

If the job offer is sweet enough, I'll probably take it. Obviously, I'll also get involved politically and with advocacy groups to help out any way I can.

stphnman20
10-19-2010, 4:26 PM
Hey Fixerbob, Welcome to the forum!

As for your question, just o your research on what you have that is legal here in cali.

mej16489
10-19-2010, 4:43 PM
Folks,
I'm leaving active duty in the Air Force and might have an outstanding job opportunity in Southern California. Of course, most of my firearms are prohibited in California, so will have to leave them in Texas with relatives. It's making the job decision a painful one.

Many people think that the California Roster of Not-Unsafe Handguns is a list of what isn't prohibited. That list has absolutely nothing todo with what you can/can't bring into CA if you move here.

Keep in mind that the list of firearms that are actually prohibited in CA is actually quite short. At the top of the forum you will see 3 links for Assault Weapon (AW) flowcharts. Follow those flowcharts carefully to determine the legal status of each of your firearms.

If you determine that you own an item not legal to bring into CA with you, post the specifics of it here and people will let you know how to proceed. As mentioned above, many CA AWs can easily be converted to be compliant.

russ69
10-19-2010, 4:56 PM
You might want to list those which you believe you must leave behind and some of the experts here will likely help you fully understand whether you really must leave them behind or whether some relatively minor fixes will let you bring them with you.

List your problem children we'll tell you the bad/good news (It's not as bad as you think).

Thanx, Russ

Fixerbob
10-25-2010, 9:59 AM
Thanks Russ, they might all be problem children in Cali, some I know are hopelessly banned, so here goes:

Glock 19
Glock 21
Colt M1991A1 (Series 80 slide)
Beretta 92F
Intratec Scorpion .22LR
Calico M900
Barrett M82A1--Banned, stays in Texas
HK91 (pre-ban)
HK94 (pre-ban)
HK SL8-1 thumbhole stock, 10 rd limit, no evil features...maybe?
Bushmaster AR-15A2
Bushmaster M4 carbine
Bushmaster M17S bullpup
Colt AR15 SP1 Sporter 16" barrel, collapsing stock
FN PS90
Calico M100 .22LR
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Norinco 5.56 AK folding stock
Norinco 7.62 AK folding stock
Ruger 10/22 in bullpup stock
Saiga 12 'de-sporterized' with pistol grip & folding stock
Mossberg M590 bullpup

Greg-Dawg
10-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome aboard! Bring them all, but the ARs.

wash
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Unless they have threaded barrels, all of the pistols (1-4) are legal but they will have to be registered when brought in.

The Garand, carbine and 10-22 are all fine (unless the carbine has a folding stock or a flash hider, then it would need a fixed magazine).

The PS90 and Saiga 12 can be converted in to California compliant guns, the Saiga only needs a bullet button, the PS90 is more involved.

The rest might be listed "assault weapons" so check the flowcharts to see if they are listed.

Remember that importing magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds is illegal (but there might be a legal work-around soonish).

The situation is not as dire as you think.

Welcome to calguns.net

HondaMasterTech
10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Gun-rights are actually a smaller part of why California sucks. When I was considering moving out of California I had much bigger concerns than gun-rights. The economy, tax rates, crime rates, housing costs and the general political climate resulted in my descision. Gun-rights are important but there is so much more wrong with California.

My point is, don't stop at gun-rights when deciding if California is where you want you be.