PDA

View Full Version : Paul Helmke's Descent Into Madness

jdberger
10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Paul Helmke (Brady Campaign) is engaged in a downward spiral into ever more paranoid delusions. He's seeing betrayal everywhere. He's lashed out at Lady Gaga, John Stewart and even President Obama, whom he gave an endorsement in the 2008 election.

Now he's after the First Amendment.

Helmke insists that television made a man want to committ mass murder. Astoundingly, he takes the word of a felon:

Byron Williams, an ex-felon (sic), was on his way to shoot staff members of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU this summer. He was stopped by law enforcement for erratic driving and then opened fire.
Williams wounded two officers before being taken into custody. He later said his intention was to "start a revolution." Williams gives much of the credit to Fox's Glenn Beck for the conspiracy theory that led him to his violent actions.
Williams said Beck would not advocate violence, "but he'll give you every ounce of evidence that you could possibly need."

Helmke's remedy? Gut the First Amendment.

Too many people are turning to guns to remedy their grievances. And they are being fueled by rhetoric from leaders of the extreme gun rights movement.

Here at the Brady Campaign we have been sounding the alarm about the connection between terrorism and guns, and extreme right-wing rhetoric and gun violence.

Dissatisfied with simply gutting the First and Second Amendments, Helmke takes a shot at the Fourth and Fifth:

By closing the gun show loophole, we can stop potential terrorists and criminals from buying guns at gun shows from unlicensed sellers without a Brady criminal background check.

Congress should also pass the "Terror Gap" bill that would prohibit dangerous individuals on the terrorist watch list from buying weapons.

Paul Helmke and the rest of the Brady Campaigners are desperate for relevancy in a world that has determined that they are nothing more than snake-oil salesmen, profiting from tragedy and grief. After all, if the Brady Campaign implodes, where will he go? His vaunted resume states that he was a Republican Mayor (Gary, IN) - but that doesn't help him with the Democrats. And his slavish devotion to gun banning Democrats (many of whom are the most partisan) effectively precludes the Republicans from ever trusting him

He's a sad panda.

Stonewalker
10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Good post. I've been enjoying reading and commenting on Pauls blog posts over at the Huffpo. Few people seem to take him seriously anymore.

Untamed1972
10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Congress should also pass the "Terror Gap" bill that would prohibit dangerous individuals on the terrorist watch list from buying weapons.

Why stop there. Why not just strip anyone on the watch list of all of their other rights too? Then we could all feel safe knowing that they can't do anything right? :rolleyes:

stix213
10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Here at the Brady Campaign we have been sounding the alarm about the connection between terrorism and guns, and extreme right-wing rhetoric and gun violence.

I can't seem to remember how guns were involved in 9/11...

rips31
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
let's not insult pandas. :D

<snip>

He's a sad panda.

Dreaded Claymore
10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
He's a sad panda.

Hahahahaha, South Park :rofl:

M1A Rifleman
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Correction, he only wants the first amendment of the "extreme right" stopped per his words. It seems he is right in line with the rest of the lefties so nothing new.

Stonewalker
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
The Brady Campaign's youtube channel has 145 followers. The Brady Campaign - making noise and affecting change without garnering any real support!

N6ATF
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I feel like I'm about to :puke: every time I read about this unabashed traitor NOT being in prison yet.

POLICESTATE
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
The more insane Paul wants to sound the better. Keep up the "good" work Paul! :thumbsup: :willy_nilly:

CHS
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Ahhh yes.. Terrorist watch lists and the "terror gap".

People SO BAD we can't let them fly on a plane, yet SO INNOCENT we can't arrest them.

Rossi357
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
One problem with the terrorist list....It has people on it that shouldn't be there.

POLICESTATE
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Ahhh yes.. Terrorist watch lists and the "terror gap".

People SO BAD we can't let them fly on a plane, yet SO INNOCENT we can't arrest them.

Good point you brought up, makes me think. So without any due process of law one can be arbitrarily banned from flying on a private carrier by the government? I suppose that means one could also be banned by the government from riding in Taxis, buses, trains and any other private means of transportation.

Since we are talking about banning people from being able to buy/use a product that others not on the ban list are able to freely buy/use we might as well start a list banning certain people from buying cars, or houses, or pencils or any other item for that matter.

Land of the free indeed!

CHS
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Good point you brought up, makes me think. So without any due process of law one can be arbitrarily banned from flying on a private carrier by the government? I suppose that means one could also be banned by the government from riding in Taxis, buses, trains and any other private means of transportation.

Yup.

That's exactly what the "watch list" is.

It's a secret list of people that have not been arrested of any crime, nor charged of any, that are prohibited from flying on any airline because they might be terrorists.

It's the textbook definition of a lack of due process.

Scarecrow Repair
10-19-2010, 4:16 PM

They weren't, or it wouldn't have been.

bulgron
10-19-2010, 4:21 PM
The Brady Campaign's youtube channel has 145 followers.

And half of those are pro-gun activists who are just keeping an eye on our crrrraaaaazzzzzyyy little buddy.

ldivinag
10-19-2010, 5:01 PM
hey.... how come this dodnt come through on their facebook page...

lol...

GOEX FFF
10-19-2010, 7:05 PM
The more insane Paul wants to sound the better. Keep up the "good" work Paul! :thumbsup: :willy_nilly:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

five.five-six
10-19-2010, 7:12 PM
hey.... how come this dodnt come through on their facebook page...

lol...

what is a face book and where can I get one?.... can't I, if I had a FB, just post this up there for them on their page or wall or somthing?

GOEX FFF
10-19-2010, 7:41 PM
what is a face book and where can I get one?.... can't I, if I had a FB, just post this up there for them on their page or wall or somthing?

It's just been posted already by the Loony Bunch themesleves on their FB.

You can post too, but if there is ANY hint of Pro-self defence or Pro-gun in your post, the Brady's will censor and delete it.
Further proof they have no problem gutting the 1st amendment as well.

Libertarian777
10-19-2010, 7:43 PM
Since we are talking about banning people from being able to buy/use a product that others not on the ban list are able to freely buy/use we might as well start a list banning certain people from buying cars, or houses, or pencils or any other item for that matter.

Land of the free indeed!

However, you WILL BUY HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!

:D

WokMaster1
10-19-2010, 8:01 PM
FOCUS!! Folks, stop talking & keep feeding him more anchor chain...;)

FastFinger
10-19-2010, 8:39 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9542/helmke.png

hill billy
10-19-2010, 8:41 PM
I don't know if you got this from their email, JD, but I laughed pretty dang hard at the title of his latest nonsense. "Glenn Beck inspires attempted mass murder"

Dovii4ever
10-19-2010, 9:49 PM
I'm sorry when was Paul ever relevant. He is the last of a dying breed, a left over from the Clinton era and I say good riddance:TFH:

SanPedroShooter
10-20-2010, 5:48 AM
I'm sorry when was Paul ever relevant. He is the last of a dying breed, a left over from the Clinton era and I say good riddance:TFH:

I was under the impression that all the clintonista gun grabbers got white house jobs under obama? He has a lot of clinton era staffers...

Arondos
10-20-2010, 6:12 AM
I flew back to Ohio to deer hunt with my Dad. I go to get on the plane in Cleveland (to come home) there are "problems" with my ticket. I end up at the counter. To make a long story short.

Common name - watch list - I have the name - No description, SSN or anything, just a name. An active duty I.D. card, leave papers, and it got straightened out real quick.

I don't even want to imagine the mess if the "list" was used to restrict 2A rights.

Using the logic this clown has does that mean if someone goes on a shooting spree because they are afraid the brady campaign is going to take their guns we can censor the Brady Bunch?

fairfaxjim
10-20-2010, 7:33 AM

Land of the free indeed!

Yup.

That's exactly what the "watch list" is.

It's a secret list of people that have not been arrested of any crime, nor charged of any, that are prohibited from flying on any airline because they might be terrorists.

It's the textbook definition of a lack of due process.

It is indeed the textbook definition of lack of due process. But, it is much more than a "no fly" list now! Government agencies are now using it for processing access to information and locations determined to be "security sensitive" (an essentially undefined term) that have NOTHING whatsoever to do with flying or airports. Others are trying to expand its use to prohibit employment of persons who are on the list but have no other disqualifying incident in their background.

Secret lists, lack of due process, opressive government were all supposed to be prevented by our constitution and Bill of Rights, unfortunately severely damaged by the use of 911/Terrorist hysteria for a power grab.

Mulay El Raisuli
10-20-2010, 8:04 AM
let's not insult pandas. :D

LOL!

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

What a smart guy he was.

The Raisuli

trashman
10-20-2010, 9:14 AM
That Paul Helmke wants to tie gun ownership (a fundamental right not *every* American agrees with) to freedom of speech (a fundamental right EVERY American agrees with) the more he shows just how lost he is.

I'm happy he's heading down this road, because a lot more voters who don't own guns but object to this kind of statism will join our cause.

--Neill

PEBKAC
10-20-2010, 9:17 AM
So basically he's suggesting a situation that would not only bring down the wrath of god from 2nd Amendment litigation operations (SAF, NRA, etc.) but also the ACLU et al? Descent into madness is a severe understatement. ;)

MSL209
10-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Many feel that it was a lack of guns that helped contribute to 9/11.

Maestro Pistolero
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Many feel that it was a lack of guns that helped contribute to 9/11.

With very little doubt, this is absolutely true. If the pilots could have shot the terrorists in the head the moment they breached the cockpit, as they certainly could (and would) do today, the WTC towers would still be standing.

jdberger
10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know if you got this from their email, JD, but I laughed pretty dang hard at the title of his latest nonsense. "Glenn Beck inspires attempted mass murder"

Yes. That was the email that inspired the post.

Helmke and Hennigan are a great source of material. I do have to say, I miss the posts from the "Gun Guys" and Josh Sugarmann's Violence Policy Center. Those were always a hoot.

Wherryj
10-20-2010, 3:19 PM
Why stop there. Why not just strip anyone on the watch list of all of their other rights too? Then we could all feel safe knowing that they can't do anything right? :rolleyes:

To some extent they already have. I know a surgeon who has a 4 year old son with the same name as someone on the watch list. EVERY time they fly, at EVERY airport, they need to get a supervisor to allow the family onto the plane.

Somehow even the fact that the "terrorist" on the "watch list" is a 4 year old, and SOMEHOW the rest of the family didn't make the list (?), it takes an act of Congress to get on the plane.

Can you imagine if you happen to be someone wrongly put onto the list? How about an adult with the same name as someone on the list?

Wherryj
10-20-2010, 3:21 PM
With very little doubt, this is absolutely true. If the pilots could have shot the terrorists in the head the moment they breached the cockpit, as they certainly could (and would) do today, the WTC towers would still be standing.

Even better, arm the flight attendants. They can take the perp down before he reaches the cockpit door.

Wherryj
10-20-2010, 3:24 PM

Land of the free indeed!

I don't advocate banning people from purchasing pencils per se. Perhaps we should have a lifetime exclusion list for those who have shown a tendency to abuse pencils? At the very least there should be a 10 day wait for each pencil as well as a test about how to safely use a pencil without offending others.

mofugly13
10-20-2010, 3:27 PM
Can you imagine if you happen to be someone wrongly put onto the list? How about an adult with the same name as someone on the list?

My Godfather has the same name as someone on the list, that plus the metal in his hip means he has a hassle every time he flies. He know to get to the airport really early now.