PDA

View Full Version : Spenceville users

Deadon
10-18-2010, 9:28 PM
A buddy and I are thinking about making a gong for the 300 yard mark. If any of you locals would like to help or donate to the cause it would be great.
I have the welder and cutting tools. The needs will be
Steel tubing
Armor plating
Chain
Cement
Two five gallon buckets OR post hole Digger.
I also have a truck.

Canucky
10-18-2010, 9:36 PM
Deadon have you measured 300 yards at spenceville? I haven't ranged it yet, but I think it is under 300? Great idea though. Tagged.

racky
10-18-2010, 9:40 PM
u might want to wait until after halloween. the place will be littered with pumpkin guts the first weekend of november. IT'S AWESOME!!!

Deadon
10-19-2010, 6:29 AM
Deadon have you measured 300 yards at spenceville? I haven't ranged it yet, but I think it is under 300? Great idea though. Tagged.

Yes, Its where you can see the rocks. It goes up to 375. Right now there is a orange ammo wood box that is at 310 yards I put it there Saturday.

omgwtfbbq
10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I think this is a cool idea, however, I thought the new rules at Spenceville were Paper and Clays only and you haul out what you haul in. I was under the impression that semipermanent or permanent targets would be considered trash.

Deadon
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I think this is a cool idea, however, I thought the new rules at Spenceville were Paper and Clays only and you haul out what you haul in. I was under the impression that semipermanent or permanent targets would be considered trash.
with this thinking the tables should be trash,lol:) I would think if its a REAL steel target and was installed in the ground that it wouldnt be looked at as junk. If anything it would reduce the amount of "junk/trash" used. It should help to keep things clean.

scoob_i_e
10-19-2010, 1:33 PM
I assume you have secured permission from DFG to install this at the range?

I would hate for you to go through all the work and expense only to have it destroyed by the DFG guys.

Let's try to keep the positive ideas going. Though I guess it is a little hard not be negative when the topic of Spenceville comes up! :p I already inadvertently chased someone away that was wanting to get another Spenceville cleanup rolling. Sigscout if you see this..... Come back!!!

I think this is a really truly great idea and this is just the type of thinking and thoughtfulness I would expect out of decent people like yourself.

However....

Mainly I don't think DFG is going to let something like this go underway due to liability concerns. But check it out with them. Hopefully I am completely wrong on that.

Oh and as for the issue when we were in the middle of the cleanup when the one guy put a premature end to the cease fire? We were somewhat near the firing line, not out on the berms, but still it was incredibly rude and selfish off that bu**-hole to do that as though we were taking up his precious time!

Aside from liability concerns, as has been stated earlier by someone else, you must take into consideration the logistics involved such as the types of people that frequent Spenceville not being agreeable to having their precious time taken up while you selflessly conduct such an endeavor. I mean come on how thoughtless of you to take it upon yourself to take YOUR time, YOUR resources and so-on to do something like this all the while taking away their play time while you go out and do some hard core community service activity like this! Good gawd. How horrible of you to even think it! :D Either way even it weren't for the bad crowd, the range will definitely need to be shut down during the time it is installed. Lots of logistics!

Gongs to keep the garbage level down..... There is typically a line of shooters shoulder to shoulder at this place almost irregardless of the time of day. This level of activity persists throughout the entire day throughout all 7 days of the week. The overwhelming majority of these people do not think twice about leaving their garbage behind. I don't know if it'll cut the trash level down--at least to any noticeable level that is..... But it is worth a try however!

Anyways, again, I would be more than willing to help with this if DFG would grant us the permission to do-so. I just have to wonder what the likelihood of that would be due to liability.

motorwerks
10-19-2010, 1:34 PM
We had been talking about doing pretty much the same thing. I would have to look but I may have some chain. Hell I may even buy some for this project. For the armor plating If we can find something like 3/4 inch round of steel it can be hardened. http://www.ehow.com/how_4579248_harden-steel-motor-oil.html I have a propane weed burner that gets pretty hot but I dot know if it gets hot enough to make like a 3/4 inch 1.5 foot round of steel red hot. I was thinking we could hang it from a cherry picker (wish I hadn't just sold mine) and drop it into a metal trash can of used oil I have NO IDEA where we would find that much USED OIL or even what the hell we would do with it after. I'm just saying it could be done. I have a post hole digger here at the house too but I dont know if that dirt up there is dig-gable. I spent a summer at the Smartsville CDF station and I know the dirt out there is hard as hell.

motorwerks
10-19-2010, 1:36 PM
I doubt fish and Game would touch anything like this.

Deadon
10-19-2010, 3:48 PM
I doubt fish and Game would touch anything like this.

Man I really dont see why not. It would seem like they would see the reduced trash and be grateful. I guess Ill make some calls. I wish we knew someone is fish and game.
If this goes well It would be nice in the future to make some for 200 yards 100 yards and so on. If this would in the end reduce the trash then we wouldnt have to worry about a range shutdown.
I have a cherry picker. Its in use right now but by the time we get this going Im sure it will be free.

omgwtfbbq
10-19-2010, 4:05 PM
Man I really dont see why not. It would seem like they would see the reduced trash and be grateful. I guess Ill make some calls. I wish we knew someone is fish and game.

One would think so, but what I was getting at earlier is that as it is now, the DFG doesn't allow the use of metal targets at Spenceville because of the fire hazard involved, not just because of people dumping their old tv's and computers out there. I would love to have a big ol' gong to shoot at, but I'm not sure the DFG is going to think it's Kosher.

The other issue I think you would have is getting people to stop shooting long enough to build the thing. I remember hearing about the last calguns cleanup where a shooter got impatient and started letting rounds fly while cleaners were still on the burms. Spenceville isn't exactly world renowned for having the safest/legally minded patrons.

God Bless The Mauser
10-19-2010, 6:19 PM
The last burm is 220 and after that theres a little mound that is 300 and the rocks are about 360 and the very top of the hill is 400. No steel, they will write you a citation if you get caught.

pyromensch
10-19-2010, 8:57 PM
I assume you have secured permission from DFG to install this at the range?

I would hate for you to go through all the work and expense only to have it destroyed by the DFG guys.

Let's try to keep the positive ideas going. Though I guess it is a little hard not be negative when the topic of Spenceville comes up! :p I already inadvertently chased someone away that was wanting to get another Spenceville cleanup rolling. Sigscout if you see this..... Come back!!!

I think this is a really truly great idea and this is just the type of thinking and thoughtfulness I would expect out of decent people like yourself.

However....

Mainly I don't think DFG is going to let something like this go underway due to liability concerns. But check it out with them. Hopefully I am completely wrong on that.

Oh and as for the issue when we were in the middle of the cleanup when the one guy put a premature end to the cease fire? We were somewhat near the firing line, not out on the berms, but still it was incredibly rude and selfish off that bu**-hole to do that as though we were taking up his precious time!

Aside from liability concerns, as has been stated earlier by someone else, you must take into consideration the logistics involved such as the types of people that frequent Spenceville not being agreeable to having their precious time taken up while you selflessly conduct such an endeavor. I mean come on how thoughtless of you to take it upon yourself to take YOUR time, YOUR resources and so-on to do something like this all the while taking away their play time while you go out and do some hard core community service activity like this! Good gawd. How horrible of you to even think it! :D Either way even it weren't for the bad crowd, the range will definitely need to be shut down during the time it is installed. Lots of logistics!

Gongs to keep the garbage level down..... There is typically a line of shooters shoulder to shoulder at this place almost irregardless of the time of day. This level of activity persists throughout the entire day throughout all 7 days of the week. The overwhelming majority of these people do not think twice about leaving their garbage behind. I don't know if it'll cut the trash level down--at least to any noticeable level that is..... But it is worth a try however!

Anyways, again, I would be more than willing to help with this if DFG would grant us the permission to do-so. I just have to wonder what the likelihood of that would be due to liability.

but you might work it into a range clean-up, contact dfg, post it for clean-up on whatever date, and get it all done in one shot. i can donate a couple of 6" round plates, that i bought a couple of months ago, tried to make a swinging target out of, and haven't used yet

pyromensch
10-19-2010, 8:59 PM
The last burm is 220 and after that theres a little mound that is 300 and the rocks are about 360 and the very top of the hill is 400. No steel, they will write you a citation if you get caught.

i wonder if the steel target issue, that far out, might be because of a possible spark, although the rock would do the same

omgwtfbbq
10-20-2010, 12:40 AM
i wonder if the steel target issue, that far out, might be because of a possible spark, although the rock would do the same

As I've said before, I doubt the DFG is going to allow a semipermanent steel target to be installed on a range they have been working fairly hard at making paper and clay only.

I wanna shoot a big metal disc as much and the next fella, I just don't think the DFG is gonna let it happen.

motorwerks
10-20-2010, 5:40 AM
yeah its funny that I worked for Cal Fire in Smartsville and didn't even think about the fire hazard....... that place lights off every year.

Deadon
10-20-2010, 10:59 AM
They should think about removing the rocks then.

Purple K
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
What size steel tubing? PM me.

Canucky
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
They should think about removing the rocks then.

That aint going to happen Deadon. I think the DFG doesn't want folks shooting at those distances? because of the elevation. That is why I asked about the range there. Always wondered what is on the other side of that hill. Guess I will google earth it. Not tryin to be a Poo head. I think somewhere in this thread there is a contact # for DFG.

RobG
10-20-2010, 2:13 PM
I have not been there in years. I thought they were closing it down. For targets, check out the Snipershide FS section. There are a few guys that sell ar500 steel targets that are very reasonable. The ar500 can take big hits and not punture and its much simpler than trying to heat treat mild steel.

Deadon
10-20-2010, 5:17 PM
I have not been there in years. I thought they were closing it down. For targets, check out the Snipershide FS section. There are a few guys that sell ar500 steel targets that are very reasonable. The ar500 can take big hits and not punture and its much simpler than trying to heat treat mild steel.

Where can I find pricing for the ar500 targets?

RobG
10-20-2010, 6:17 PM
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1715694&nt=3&page=1
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1707369#Post1707369
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1715681&page=1
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078458#Post2078458

These should get you started...

BigJB
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Paper targets only

I have the name/number of warden who patrols Spence, if anyone wants to talk to him.

He has cited guys for bringing their own gongs.

mjsweims
10-23-2010, 7:26 PM
That aint going to happen Deadon. I think the DFG doesn't want folks shooting at those distances? because of the elevation. That is why I asked about the range there. Always wondered what is on the other side of that hill. Guess I will google earth it. Not tryin to be a Poo head. I think somewhere in this thread there is a contact # for DFG.

There is a trail the other side of the hill. I use it to run my dogs and I always keep them in close when I'm in that particular area. They also wear blaze orange or yellow collars just in case. Also cattle graze in that area, but I haven't seen them this season. Was there today.

I think the ammo box someone mentioned is up in the rocks. There is a rock right behind it. There is also an old lawn chair below it and to the right.The controlled burn did not go up to it.

If you can get DFG approval I can help with the labor. I was there Friday at about 5:00 pm and there were few people there. From what I've seen late afternoons during the week only have a handful of shooters. The other possible time is when they have the DFG cleanup crew there - just put it in at the same time. If it can be done during the week that would likely be best, with fewer shooters.

omega
11-12-2010, 7:31 PM

I hiked behind the hill before while people were firing and it's a little scary with the sound of bullets wizzing over while your back there, it's like a narrow ravine back there that passes through with trees and the top of the hill is much higher than the trail like 30 0r 50 yards above the trail.