PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Arms XCR Micro Pistol -Thoughts??

Modimo
10-18-2010, 9:46 AM
Hi All-

I've been throwing around the idea of the Robinson Arms XCR Micro Pistol in a 7.5" 7.62x39. OF course I would need it to be DROS'd with a BB and single shot sled (which RobArms are happy to do).

Anyone out there have one and can comment on how they like their setup? I'm on the fence and need a little push... :D

KrazyKevy
10-18-2010, 9:59 AM
Whats the going price?

FeuerFrei
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
XCR was my first choice for a 556mm pistol. (Cali SBR) :43:
I like what it has and what it can be configured for. Caliber swap?
However, I have an AR pistol with a Adams arms piston system on it for hits and giggles.
XCR will be much shorter. AR buffer tube thing has to be there.:mad: That's what I like about the XCR. Short.
Good luck choosing.

Modimo
10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Ideally I would love if they had 6.5 grendel (which they are working on according to them). 7.62x39 is close enough and isn't a big deal since the intended use (fun range plinker) would be in the parameters of the 7.62 caliber. The caliber change feature is kinda cool as well...

I like the fact that it is small (not need for the buffer tube like other AR pistols). Thinking about going with the light contour barrel (make it a little lighter).

They are running around $1600...

Astig Boy
10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
How well are these XCR firearms at shooting steel core 7.62x39 ammo like Wolf? I think thats what makes the AK fun and cheap to shoot is the price of Wolf and not worry about malfunctions or damage to the firearm. Do the XCR rifle and pistol handle wolf type ammo well also?

They are running around $1600...

It kind of irks me knowing they are selling for the same price as the rifle. Less material and it cost the same? I notice many AR pistol are dropping in price because people are catching on...the dam thing doesn't have a butt stock for petes sake!...that should knock off $50-100 right there!

ir0nclash86
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
XCR will eat anything you throw at it. Their weapons are tested with Wolf and they have 5 gas settings. It goes 1,2,3,4, S (suppressor). XCR is a d*mn fine weapon but their customer service is just horrible. I would buy one though without hesitation. I would go here if you have any questions about the weapon. They're very knowledgeable and can answer anything. Www.xcrforum.com

Astig Boy
10-18-2010, 2:09 PM
Ok, thats sounds very promising. The sad part is the price. :(
You can now find AR pistols in the low 900 range. Hope the times catch up on the XCR.

Modimo
10-18-2010, 3:40 PM
Everything I have read is it doesn't have a problem eating the ammo. I reload my 7.62 brass so a good feature, but not completely necessary for my purposes.

Since the XCR is Piston driven (which drives up the price), I don't think we are going to see it come down in price to the AR Pistols on the market in the $900 range. Though I do think it's just silly for the pistol's to not be less that the rifles. One would think they would.

BHPFan
10-18-2010, 3:55 PM
Since the XCR is Piston driven (which drives up the price), I don't think we are going to see it come down in price to the AR Pistols on the market in the $900 range. Though I do think it's just silly for the pistol's to not be less that the rifles. One would think they would.

GPU AR pistols may cost as much (Addax) or more (LWRC PSD). It is the DI AR pistols that cost less and relatively just as much as the DI rifles.
The other Piston-driven "Assault" pistol on the market that I've seen is the SIG P556 and they cost $1500 to $1600 (on RifleGear). Regarding a XCR pistol that you can swap barrels of different caliber, that is a great idea.
I've never owned nor shot a RobArms XCR so I would not know how they are, but since you and others say that it's a great firearm, I will strongly consider them if they come out with a pistol version.

However, you and others have a very good point: "silly for the pistols to not be less than the rifles".

Modimo
10-18-2010, 4:44 PM
http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlmicropistol/prodpic.jpg

sqroot3
10-18-2010, 5:03 PM
XCR will eat anything you throw at it. Their weapons are tested with Wolf and they have 5 gas settings. It goes 1,2,3,4, S (suppressor). XCR is a d*mn fine weapon but their customer service is just horrible. I would buy one though without hesitation. I would go here if you have any questions about the weapon. They're very knowledgeable and can answer anything. Www.xcrforum.com
How much does the S gas mode suppress the report? Is it CA-legal? (sorry for the nub questions.)

leelaw
10-18-2010, 5:12 PM
How much does the S gas mode suppress the report? Is it CA-legal? (sorry for the nub questions.)

The S mode is for use with suppressors, and does not suppress the report by itself.

Modimo
10-19-2010, 11:05 PM

Yup. Robinson ships out with a Bullet Button and Single Shot Sled. So CA-ok...

BHPFan
10-20-2010, 7:10 AM
http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlmicropistol/prodpic.jpg

Slick and wicked.

gunn
10-20-2010, 9:21 AM
GPU AR pistols may cost as much (Addax) or more (LWRC PSD). It is the DI AR pistols that cost less and relatively just as much as the DI rifles.
The other Piston-driven "Assault" pistol on the market that I've seen is the SIG P556 and they cost $1500 to $1600 (on RifleGear). Regarding a XCR pistol that you can swap barrels of different caliber, that is a great idea.
I've never owned nor shot a RobArms XCR so I would not know how they are, but since you and others say that it's a great firearm, I will strongly consider them if they come out with a pistol version.

However, you and others have a very good point: "silly for the pistols to not be less than the rifles".

For pistol driven assault pistols, there's also these two:
There's also the KelTec PLR16 (SU-16 in pistol form) at $500+BB mods
or a Draco pistol at ~$400 californicated from Henderson

I know they are definitely in a different (lower) tier than the 556 and the XCR but they do merit consideration given the price delta. How much would you shoot an AR/AK pistol, anyway? $900-1K will buy you a whole pile of 7.62x39 or 223 nowadays....

-g

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
10-20-2010, 9:30 AM
Saw one of these at a gun show in Montana, seemed to be a solid gun!

BHPFan
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I know they are definitely in a different (lower) tier than the 556 and the XCR but they do merit consideration given the price delta. How much would you shoot an AR/AK pistol, anyway? $900-1K will buy you a whole pile of 7.62x39 or 223 nowadays....

-g

I doubt I'll own an AK pistol (Draco) as I just sold all my 7.62x39 ammo as well as my Saiga rifle.
An AR pistol, it appealed me at first, but at almost the same price of a rifle/carbine and with that little stockless buffer tube sticking out, I don't think so.

That Keltec is definitely something to consider, but you're right, at $900 - 1K, you can buy a whole lotta ammo.

762.DEFENSE
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
For $1600 per XCR unit; you could buy 4 Draco Ak47 pistols which shoot the exact same round(7.62x39mm). I know that's like comparing apples to oranges, but just food for thought. The gun itself looks clean; but I'd rather just go with a RRA which delivers the same piston driven system...for less (downside is it's in 556/.223, but I'm sure you could find a conversion kit).

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/rra_lp2110v.pdf

Uncle Scary
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I will never buy another Robinson Arms product because of their terrible customer service. They design great weapons, but their lack of loyalty to their customers is legendary. One thing to consider before buying an XCR is that you have only one company making proprietary parts. If you have an AR, and you need a spring or a buffer, you can get it anywhere from any manufacturer. If you need a part for an XCR, you can only get it from Robinson Arms, and you may end up waiting up to half a year to get it. And if you call them asking why they haven't sent back the rifle that you sent to them four months ago for repairs, they give you the standard canned response, "we sent it out yesterday." Which will be a lie 9 times out of 10. Don't believe me? Check out this thread on the XCR forum:

http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,8836.0.html

Sorry for derailing the thread with this rant, but it's something you should consider before buying the XCR pistol you've been eyeing. I'm reduced to fabricating parts for my M96 rifle now that they don't make parts for it anymore.

BHPFan
10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I will never buy another Robinson Arms product because of their terrible customer service. They design great weapons, but their lack of loyalty to their customers is legendary. One thing to consider before buying an XCR is that you have only one company making proprietary parts. If you have an AR, and you need a spring or a buffer, you can get it anywhere from any manufacturer. If you need a part for an XCR, you can only get it from Robinson Arms, and you may end up waiting up to half a year to get it. And if you call them asking why they haven't sent back the rifle that you sent to them four months ago for repairs, they give you the standard canned response, "we sent it out yesterday." Which will be a lie 9 times out of 10. Don't believe me? Check out this thread on the XCR forum:

Sorry for derailing the thread with this rant, but it's something you should consider before buying the XCR pistol you've been eyeing. I'm reduced to fabricating parts for my M96 rifle now that they don't make parts for it anymore.

For real?

Well, then that's a company I am not dealing with. I have a problems with companies who won't give the time of the day to their customers no matter how awesome their products are (10 years ago, I dealt with one like that: great guns, terrible customer service so out of anger, I sold the guns from that brand, made a profit and never dealt with any of their products since).

I guess I'll have to stay with my AR rifle and forget about these "assault" pistols.

Uncle Scary
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
For real?

Well, then that's a company I am not dealing with. I have a problems with companies who won't give the time of the day to their customers no matter how awesome their products are (10 years ago, I dealt with one like that: great guns, terrible customer service so out of anger, I sold the guns from that brand, made a profit and never dealt with any of their products since).

I guess I'll have to stay with my AR rifle and forget about these "assault" pistols.

Robinson Arms has a reputation for building really innovative, cool designs. But, they also have a terrible reputation for responding to customer needs after the sale. It wouldn't be so bad if there were other companies that produced parts for Robinson guns. But there aren't.

If they don't get a large gov't contract, I would not be surprised if Robinson Arms does not exist in 10 years.

Astig Boy
10-20-2010, 3:08 PM

Ok, thats just scary. I wont be dealing with them.
Might as well just wait for the Rock River PDS Pistol to come out.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441&CFID=99567615&CFTOKEN=31027163&jsessionid=f0301ccb792c124a666b
http://www.gunpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/rock-river-pds-pistol.jpg
Piston driven, has no stock buffer pole at the end, cheaper, better aftermarket following, and better customer service. Sure you wont have the quick change barrel...but for the price of the conversion you can just put that money towards a reliable 7.62x39 Draco. :D

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
10-20-2010, 3:53 PM
Ok, thats just scary. I wont be dealing with them.
Might as well just wait for the Rock River PDS Pistol to come out.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441&CFID=99567615&CFTOKEN=31027163&jsessionid=f0301ccb792c124a666b
http://www.gunpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/rock-river-pds-pistol.jpg
Piston driven, has no stock buffer pole at the end, cheaper, better aftermarket following, and better customer service. Sure you wont have the quick change barrel...but for the price of the conversion you can just put that money towards a reliable 7.62x39 Draco. :D

Isn't the lower on list though?

762.DEFENSE
10-20-2010, 4:26 PM
The RRA lower is a pistol lower, in such case not on the ban list.

Astig Boy
10-20-2010, 4:47 PM
Isn't the lower on list though?

Not for that model. :D
There are many folks here with RRA lowers. I believe the off list model is LAR-15.

smarter
10-20-2010, 9:44 PM
Not for that model. :D
There are many folks here with RRA lowers. I believe the off list model is LAR-15.

QFT!