View Full Version : call with BLM Ukiah Field Office

06-06-2006, 1:52 PM
SO I was trying to get some information about the cow mountain recreation area and this is what I got :

- Camping , they prefer I go to one of the designated campgrounds , If I do not go to a campground I need a fire burning permit .

- Shooting , ONLY at the rifle range in north cow mountain .

I explained that nowhere in the regulations they have on the net does it say that and the only thing I got was uh yeah , nothing more .
The Camping I understand and am not to worried about , the shooting I am more confused then I was before I called , can someone help me out ?

06-06-2006, 2:01 PM
We camp up there all the time and never use the designated camping grounds. We also shoot from our camp as well. Never knew there was an issue with that. We do get fire permits.

glen avon
06-06-2006, 2:25 PM
the shooting I am more confused then I was before I called , can someone help me out ?

ask them why you are not allowed to shoot generally on BLM land in the area, and do it by email. be polite, as the person you spoke with might be honestly mistaken and here's your chance to convert somebody to our cause.

generally, you can recreationally shoot on BLM land unless it was withdrawn or closed to shooting. ask them for the information on the withdrawal (i.e., what use) and the closure (get the FR cite). of course, it could be a county ordinance, you will have to check that too.

06-06-2006, 2:38 PM
is cow mountain uo and running. I went there opeinging day of turkey season and the one way dirt road was starting to slide:eek:.

06-06-2006, 2:41 PM
I emailed them a month ago, and they were very polite in email and told me that as long as I walk 1 1/4 mile in from the vehicle and observe exisiting structures and pick up after my self then it's okay to shoot. The best bet is to buy a 3 dollar map from them to see where the BLM boundry is so you don't wander into a state park/national park/county property.

PM me if you want to see the email response.

06-06-2006, 11:13 PM
CalNRA PM sent

06-07-2006, 12:37 AM

My apologies, I deleted the Ukiah field office email by mistake, and I only have the email regarding Pinoche Hills area, but as far as I remember the response for Ukiah was very similar to the Pinoche Hills question.

I would just fill out the "ask a question" section on the BLM website and they usually respond within a week or so.

Hope it helps.