PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Rain Worst game with the best reviews?

novabrian
10-17-2010, 4:06 PM
I rented this game on PS3 because everyone gave it a 9 or 10.This was the most boring game I have ever played.You start off by waking up out of a bed taking a shower ,brushing your teeth and getting dressed.I do that in real life everyday.How is that fun?

buuddha
10-17-2010, 4:18 PM
I agree.
Every friend I have on PSN got a 100% platinum for Heavy Rain but I couldn't play more than 10 minutes.

Scratch705
10-17-2010, 4:53 PM
heavy rain is for those who can stand RPG (role playing games)

it is very immersive in that your choices actually does affect the outcome of the game, if you let a character die, it dies. this is a game where you are literally playing as another person and living their daily life.

Merc1138
10-17-2010, 4:55 PM
My roommate bought this game, and played it for days on end "Dude, I gotta beat it with each possible branching storyline to get the whole experience!". It's basically an interactive choose your own adventure novel(and I asked him about those, and he says he hates reading them, yet he loved this game...). And most of the time when I saw him playing it in the living room, his character was doing some pointlessly boring mundane task. Every now and then a scene would come along to move the story forward, but then it would be another hour of doing the dishes, or arranging office furniture.

This game is really for people who enjoy the narrative, the gameplay itself is almost non-existent. This game is absolutely nothing like the typical japanese or western RPG(I play rpgs all the time, I would not spend any time playing this crap after watching someone spending half an hour brushing their teeth, taking a shower, and then playing catch with some kids or whatever for an hour).

QQQ
10-17-2010, 5:21 PM
My roommate bought this game, and played it for days on end ...
This game is really for people who enjoy the narrative, the gameplay itself is almost non-existent. This game is absolutely nothing like the typical japanese or western RPG...

Same here.

SnWnMe
10-17-2010, 7:04 PM
I don't get it either. It reminded me of the dragon "game" where you follow the onscreen prompts. *Yawn*

No it's nothing like an RPG either.

Scratch705
10-17-2010, 8:58 PM
how is heavy rain not a rpg, the whole genre of RPG is role playing game = you play as another person. this isn't just limited to fantasy characters holding swords the size of a dwarf, or a hammer, or shooting lighting out of your fingers.

heavy rain is probably the closest real RPG game out there right now. where you actually have to do the mundane stuff, that it isn't just 24/7 action.

Merc1138
10-17-2010, 9:10 PM
how is heavy rain not a rpg, the whole genre of RPG is role playing game = you play as another person. this isn't just limited to fantasy characters holding swords the size of a dwarf, or a hammer, or shooting lighting out of your fingers.

heavy rain is probably the closest real RPG game out there right now. where you actually have to do the mundane stuff, that it isn't just 24/7 action.

I never said it wasn't an RPG, it's just that it happens to not be a typical Japanese or Western RPG.

Yes, it's a game where you play the role of some characters throughout the story(well... technically most videogames are like this when you boil them down to the absolute basic definition of an RPG). However, it's still a narrative heavy game with little action compared to the common definitions of a typical RPG.

That said, it's still a horribly boring "game".

novabrian
10-17-2010, 10:01 PM
It's like a Sims game without all the funny and entertaining stuff.My favorite the Metal Gear Solid games.

orangeglo
10-17-2010, 10:29 PM
It all depends on what you were expecting the game to be.

Donkeypunch0420
10-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I enjoyed the game personally. No there was no action in it, but the storytelling was very good. The game makers worked hard to create a lot of ambiance, and the game is actually is very detailed. But it's not for everybody as this thread reiterates. Even if you didn't enjoy it, it can still be appreciated as a unique game, and there's almost certainly to be a sequel.

SnWnMe
10-18-2010, 8:32 AM

Applying this logic, one can argue that 99.99% of video games are RPGs then.

RPGs have other elements like character customization, equipment/weapon loadouts, skill sets, etc and some form of system to improve the character or the equipment and skills during the game. In fact for most RPGs the options are so many that it is possible to never play the game exactly the same way twice. Heavy Rain has a nice narrative and onscreen prompts.

The Original Godfather
10-18-2010, 2:10 PM
I don't get it either. It reminded me of the dragon "game" where you follow the onscreen prompts. *Yawn*

No it's nothing like an RPG either.

I HATED that game... simply because I felt like I was reading a book the whole damn time and if I wanted to do that, well, there were plenty on the shelves...

badmonkey
10-18-2010, 2:54 PM
i thought it was good. not much of a game, more like an interactive, open ended movie