PDA

View Full Version : Sentry safe at Home Depot for a steal!

magmaster
06-06-2006, 7:45 AM
Well I went to look at the Sentry gun safe at Home Depot. When I got there they only had one and it looked like it was dragged around on its back for a while. When i opened it it was missing the keys for the locking ammo box inside. I asked the Manager for the price and he knocked it down to $200 for the 14 gun model. The guy did it with no questions asked he just offered it to me at that price. Got home and the "scratches" buffed out and you can barely see them. Now I just need a new key and it will be like new.

I bet you can haggle them down at all of them if there is a small scratch here or there.

GTKrockeTT
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
*runs to home depot with pocket knife in hand.*

Unknownassailant
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Well I went to look at the Sentry gun safe at Home Depot. When I got there they only had one and it looked like it was dragged around on its back for a while. When i opened it it was missing the keys for the locking ammo box inside. I asked the Manager for the price and he knocked it down to $200 for the 14 gun model. The guy did it with no questions asked he just offered it to me at that price. Got home and the "scratches" buffed out and you can barely see them. Now I just need a new key and it will be like new.

I bet you can haggle them down at all of them if there is a small scratch here or there.

I always haggle on anything, its kinda fun and you can walk away with some pretty good deals. I like to haggle at best buys on the "returned" items. I haggle at gun shows too, my favorite thing to do is pay attention to the price of a particular item, say its 300 bucks. Than show up with like 270 in cash and act like a poor student. Tell them (and show them your wallet) that thats all the money you got and that you'll be skipping lunch. 9/10 they will give it to you.

JaeFern
06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I always haggle on anything, its kinda fun and you can walk away with some pretty good deals. I like to haggle at best buys on the "returned" items. I haggle at gun shows too, my favorite thing to do is pay attention to the price of a particular item, say its 300 bucks. Than show up with like 270 in cash and act like a poor student. Tell them (and show them your wallet) that thats all the money you got and that you'll be skipping lunch. 9/10 they will give it to you.
Nice... looks like something I need to try...

magmaster
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Now the manager did tell me that they cannot order the safes. He said they just get sent some here and there. Somtimes they get 4-5 and other times they get 1. So call around first and see if they have it in stock before you drive down.

JaeFern
06-06-2006, 4:02 PM
Now the manager did tell me that they cannot order the safes. He said they just get sent some here and there. Somtimes they get 4-5 and other times they get 1. So call around first and see if they have it in stock before you drive down.
Wish I woulda rest this post earlier... went down and nada... Guy wasn't even very nice. Maybe he doesn't like young people...

xYourLocalAR15x
06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Wish I woulda rest this post earlier... went down and nada... Guy wasn't even very nice. Maybe he doesn't like young people...

i finally found a sams club that only had the display safe on stock. they still wouldnt give me a discount. they said it's the same price as the new ones.. what did i do wrong?

GTKrockeTT
06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
i finally found a sams club that only had the display safe on stock. they still wouldnt give me a discount. they said it's the same price as the new ones.. what did i do wrong?

you went to sams club. ;)

xenophobe
06-07-2006, 3:32 PM
There are two open Sentry 14gun safes at the East Palo Alto Home Depot... there are also a couple of boxed ones there too.

gordoe
06-07-2006, 10:24 PM
How Much Are The Safes In E. Palo Alto?

xenophobe
06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
They're $369. I don't know if you could talk them into discounting the open ones or not, but it's worth a shot...

They're just over $400 with tax. That's where I picked mine up.

Unknownassailant
06-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Did you guys know Costco sells safes also? Plus Costco offers a lifetime warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty (they'll take it back many years later) One of the many perks of Costco Membership. Not only that but they also sell top of the line Cannon and Liberty safes as well as Sentry.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=&topnav=&search=safe&N=0&Ntt=safe&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search

Exiledviking
06-08-2006, 11:43 AM
*runs to home depot with pocket knife in hand.*

LOL! Too funny. :D

NRAhighpowershooter
06-08-2006, 1:37 PM
ALSO!!! If your purchase is over $299 at Home Depot and you have a Home Depot CC, you can defer payments for 9 - 12 months now... I think!

thedrickel
06-08-2006, 2:24 PM
Went by the east PA store, no go on the open box items. Was told they are display models until the boxed ones are sold. Sooo. . . somebody go buy the boxed ones so I can clean up on the open-box ones!

socalsteve
06-08-2006, 3:26 PM
Costco safes are way overpriced no deals there.

I am a big spender at Costco, have the $100 a year membership and get about $90 back from the 2% rebate so I love Costco but their prices on safes is not competative.

Sams Club's price on the Winchester Safe for $586 is very good but its only if you pick it up and not all stores carry it.

Lowe's puts the Sentry E5251 on sale for one day the day sfter Thanksgiving for $299 but its about 1/2 the size of the Winchester safe at Sam's so about the same price per volume.

I won't even mention what I think about Cannon and Liberty.

PS the orignal discount was for an open box AND missing keys.

cornholio1
06-10-2006, 6:10 PM
Costco safes are way overpriced no deals there.

I am a big spender at Costco, have the $100 a year membership and get about $90 back from the 2% rebate so I love Costco but their prices on safes is not competative.

Sams Club's price on the Winchester Safe for $586 is very good but its only if you pick it up and not all stores carry it.

Lowe's puts the Sentry E5251 on sale for one day the day sfter Thanksgiving for $299 but its about 1/2 the size of the Winchester safe at Sam's so about the same price per volume.

I won't even mention what I think about Cannon and Liberty.

PS the orignal discount was for an open box AND missing keys.

Honestly what do you think about Cannon and Liberty Safes? I am seriously considering a Cannon Safe.

xenophobe
06-11-2006, 1:43 PM
Cannon, Liberty and Browning all make really nice gun safes... they're not budget line safes though. You get what you pay for.

stickman
06-14-2006, 4:03 PM
Personally, I don't consider Cannon or Liberty a top of the line safes. While they are far better than your garden variety sub $1000 safe, I would say a top of the line safe is more something like the Graffunder safes. Browning is a bit better. Unfortunately I have been staring at the different safes available far too late into the night...

As an example, if you look at the Cannon and Liberty safes their top of the line is still only a 10 gauge body. At least the Browning does 3/16". On the other hand the top of the line Graffunder is a full 1 inch thick. That is a huge difference. Even the B rate (bottom of the line) safes are 1/4" thick. Seeing one of these guys is quite impressive. There is one in San Carlos at the locksmith on Laurel street. Take a look. There is an Amsec BF series there as well for comparison. Unfortunately, I have not seen Amsec state their metal thickness, but I have called and the BF series (HS is the top of their line) is 10 gauge outer.

Graffunder also individually makes their safes and no two are alike. We're not talking one or two items different, but vastly different. This would help prevent someone from getting generic blueprints and trying to assess the vulnerability of a given safe.

Of course like Xenophobe said, you get what you pay for...and you will seriously pay with a Graffunder. Generally, $4000+ is the starting norm. It's such a toss up, but considering one can easily sink $2k into a nice AR-15 and then have multiple of those, the math and risk equation gets interesting...

Brian

BillCA
07-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd say it's a matter of return on investment.

Let's suppose you have both long guns and handguns. A locking steel cabinet such as those sold by Homak & Stack-on are better than nothing but offer only minor protection. They will secure your guns from inquisitive youngsters, roommates, neighbors or other visitors. If someone is home most of the day then this may be cost effective for you.

Stepping up to an AMSec or Liberty safe will cost you about the same as a high quality Stainless 1911 or a new S&W Performance center gun. Is it built to withstand a near miss with a 2 kiloton thermonuclear weapon? Of course not. But it will likely defeat 80%-90% of the home burglars. If your garage contains tools like tungsten drill bits, carbide grinders, air-chisels, acetelyene torches, etc., you put those in a locking tool box or cabinet.

Browning and Fort Knox safes will cost about the same as a fully engraved revolver or a tricked out AR15 to slightly more than that. If your collection exceeds the cost of one of these safes and the house is often empty all day, this may be worth the extra cost. The extra thickness and locking bolts will deter all but an experienced safecracker.

Buying something like a Graffunder safe is probably overkill unless you have a large enough or expensive enough collection to justify it.

Buying a safe lets you leave the house with less stress and worry every day and lets you sleep better at night.

jessegpresley
07-08-2006, 4:43 PM
Liberty, Browning, Champion, Amsec and Cannon are medium-end safes. I'd reserve high-end for Graffunder, Fort Knoxx, Heritage.

xenophobe
07-08-2006, 6:43 PM
I would say a top of the line safe is more something like the Graffunder safes.

I said they weren't entry level safes, and for the gun world Liberty and Browning are high end gun safes.

Graffunder, Brown, Mosler, Diebold are commercial custom safe manufacturers... they make bank vaults and other commercial safes, and comparing a Graffunder to a standard production/inventoried safes is like comparing a Saleen to a budget factory Mustang. There really isn't a comparison there.

stickman
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I said they weren't entry level safes, and for the gun world Liberty and Browning are high end gun safes.

Graffunder, Brown, Mosler, Diebold are commercial custom safe manufacturers... they make bank vaults and other commercial safes, and comparing a Graffunder to a standard production/inventoried safes is like comparing a Saleen to a budget factory Mustang. There really isn't a comparison there.

True, Unknownassailant was the one who made the comment about high end gun safes:

Did you guys know Costco sells safes also? Plus Costco offers a lifetime warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty (they'll take it back many years later) One of the many perks of Costco Membership. Not only that but they also sell top of the line Cannon and Liberty safes as well as Sentry.

The second part of the email was agreeing with you that you get what you pay for.

Regardless if a safe manufacturer is a custom or a production line safe manufacture, a safe is a safe is a safe. They can and will be compared. The whole point is to determine degree of safety against a giving situation (thief, fire, etc.). I put my high end safe as a Graffunder not Liberty or Browning. If you want to distinguish between one that is custom and one that is more of a mass production, so be it.

Brian

AntiBubba 2.1
07-15-2006, 8:20 PM
It really comes down to who and what you are protecting. My most expensive gun is a S&W model 66. Most of the rest is surplus. Not that I'd be happy to have it gone. I just don't see my guns (or me, for that matter) as the target of competent, professional thieves-and a Sentry dial-combination safe from Wal-Mart will stop the crackheads.

Besides, with the "End-of-the-hunting-season" and Clearance discounts, it was $100, down from $440. :D

morepoop4u
07-17-2006, 6:54 PM
They are passing out 10% off coupons at home depot today when you purchase something. It's a customer appreciation coupon:D

kantstudien
07-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Which Home Depot was this at? :D

Jicko
07-18-2006, 3:49 AM
Anyone know if there are any in SanDiego area?

NRAhighpowershooter
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
As a HD CC holder.. every once in a while they send out a 12 or 6mo deferred payment coupon.... I plan on getting another safe from them as soon as my next coupon comes :D

chickenfried
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
How are you going to explain the need for another safe? It'd be pretty hard to sneak a safe into the house :D .

As a HD CC holder.. every once in a while they send out a 12 or 6mo deferred payment coupon.... I plan on getting another safe from them as soon as my next coupon comes :D

NRAhighpowershooter
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
I'll put it in the corner and stack ammo cans around it...... camoflage is EVERYTHING!!! :D