View Full Version : Becoming a Firearms Dealer

10-16-2010, 5:11 PM
Can someone point out exactly what steps I need to follow to get the store I work at legal to sell firearms in CA?

The FFL has been sent in... How long is the turnaround on these anyways?

What else is required? I am sure California has more paperwork and red tape to follow through... And I want to make sure it is done right the first time...

10-16-2010, 5:22 PM
You've got to get it past the local authorities first. The ATF is not the place to start.

10-16-2010, 5:42 PM
You've got to get it past the local authorities first. The ATF is not the place to start.

And if I already have the local authorities approval? Which I do...

My next step is...?

10-16-2010, 9:34 PM
See here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#1G)

1.What are California's licensing requirements for firearms dealers?

California firearms dealers must obtain and maintain the following:

a.A valid FFL,
b.A valid Seller's Permit issued by the State Board of Equalization,
c.A valid COE issued by the DOJ,
d.Any regulatory business license, or licenses, required by local government,
e.A local license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority, valid for one year from the date of issuance, and in one of the following forms:
1.In the form prescribed by the Attorney General;
2.A regulatory or business license that states on its face, "Valid for Retail Sales of Firearms" and endorsed by the signature of the issuing authority; or
3.A letter from the licensing authority stating that the jurisdiction does not require any form of regulatory or business license or does not otherwise restrict or regulate the sale of firearms. After obtaining the above licenses, an Application for Centralized List and appropriate fees are submitted to the DOJ. Upon approval of the application, the dealer will be given a CFD number and placed on the Centralized List of firearms dealers.
f.A listing on the DOJ Centralized List of Firearms Dealers.
For more information on dealer licensing or to obtain an Application for Centralized List of Firearms Dealers, contact the Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit at (916) 227-3694.

(PC section 12071(a))