PDA

View Full Version : I live out in the country side, What are my internet options?

Colt-45
10-16-2010, 1:48 PM
This DSL crap is pissing me off. It's really unreliable. Every 2-3 months, sometimes within a month, it stops working and it takes a week for them to fix it. Once, I had to work on a paper and it stopped working right in the middle of it.:mad:

Dial up sucks.
DSL unreliable
Cable is not available at my house
Clear wireless isn't available either

I have 2 computers that need to be
hooked up to the internet.

Anyone know of any other options? I haven't been keeping up with technology very well and DSL is really ticking me off.:mad:

I live in Southern Fresno County.

nishanh
10-16-2010, 3:18 PM
satellite? I think you still the phone line for the upstream though.

bjl333
10-16-2010, 3:23 PM
How about one of the cell phone carriers?

odysseus
10-16-2010, 3:25 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the story on your DSL? Is your ISP and or CLEC going to support you at a given speed? What is your distance from your CO? You may be at the physical limits and at the lowest ATM supported speed. Then comes the issue of what they like to call "metal" transmission issues which do degrade and are not worth the expense (for the CLEC) of searching for a repair.

There are still possible other options on your copper, but really you might just want to go satellite, with its own other issues like latency and also assuming you have a clear line of sight to the correct sky placement.

I am assuming you don't have good cell reception either. But if you do their are good options there if you have at least 3G.

Exile Machine
10-16-2010, 3:31 PM
+1 on the cellular modem. If you have some signal strengh in your area, that is. I am lucky enough to have high speed cable internet, but I keep an AT&T 3G modem in my briefcase as a fallback. It's saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

gravedigger
10-16-2010, 3:58 PM
In my tow truck, I use the AT&T USB Broadband AirCard (875U).

I am moving to Kentucky soon. They tell me that "HughesNet" is the way to go out there. Their basic service is $40/month. The mid-grade is $60/month and their top-o-the-line high speed connectionis $99/month.

I would look at the AirCards first. AT&T, Sprint and Verizon all have them, as well as T-Mobile and others. They (Linksys) even makes a router for the AirCard (I have one) so you can run your computers off of it just like a cable router.

WTSGDYBBR
10-16-2010, 4:22 PM
You should get the TMobile unlimited plan one hack your phone so you can get r00t and tether your net or buy the 8 buck app .Or you can do Step 2 get a directional ant and download backtrack 4 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/ . J/K on step 2 not legal !

psssniper
10-16-2010, 7:27 PM
Get a droidX get pdanet get connected simple as that

rromeo
10-16-2010, 7:56 PM
Hughesnet is a huge scam. If possible, I would suggest an aircard from a cell company. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET.
They take advantage of the fact that most off their customers have few choices.
The customer service is crap, they lie, they make it extremely difficult for the customer to fulfill any of the obligations to receive the rebates. If you exceed the usage in ANY 24 hour period, they shut you down for 24 hours, and if you try to get on during the period, It resets. Yup, if you try to use internet at 23 hours, You get to wait another 24 hours.

Colt-45
10-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the story on your DSL? Is your ISP and or CLEC going to support you at a given speed? What is your distance from your CO? You may be at the physical limits and at the lowest ATM supported speed. Then comes the issue of what they like to call "metal" transmission issues which do degrade and are not worth the expense (for the CLEC) of searching for a repair.

There are still possible other options on your copper, but really you might just want to go satellite, with its own other issues like latency and also assuming you have a clear line of sight to the correct sky placement.

I'm at 768k and paying for 1mbps. I'm below the slowest speed that verizon dsl offers(1 I think). I'm only about 10 minutes away from town though which is why I don't understand.

My internet will go down every 2-3 months and they never tell me why it does that, does anyone know?

I could just cancel it and get this:
http://common8.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,i=203357&sz=1,00.jpg
but I have two computers that need to be hooked up simultaneously.

To answer some of you guys questions, I do get pretty good cellphone service even though I'm with Sprint/Nextel. If I walk outside I can see big antennas blinking at a distance.

Pyrodyne
10-17-2010, 2:52 AM
3g/4g adapter and a router that supports it.

Cradlepoint hotspots have been used by many with good success. Check the compatibility lists first and foremost before you order anything at all.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/

Just remember that many services as well have a monthly usage cap now. Most seem to fall around 5GB, then they charge extra.

Grover
10-17-2010, 5:28 AM
Hughesnet is a huge scam. If possible, I would suggest an aircard from a cell company. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET.
The customer service is crap, they lie, they make it extremely difficult for the customer to fulfill any of the obligations to receive the rebates. If you exceed the usage in ANY 24 hour period, they shut you down for 24 hours, and if you try to get on during the period, It resets. Yup, if you try to use internet at 23 hours, You get to wait another 24 hours.

I think you need to update your experience with HugheNet. I have been a customer for many years. Recently the have changed their policies concerning the FAP. If you exceed the amount of bandwidth you are allocated in a 24 hour period, the web accelerator is turned off. You can still use the IM services and web pages load very sloooooowly. The now offer a once a month free reload of your band width. If you need more reloads, they sell them for $7.50 for once or 3 for $20.00. If you need instructions for how to do this, PM me and I will walk you through it.

I have 2 accounts with them, one at home and the other at work. It is not the best, but it is way better than dial up. Oh, BTW MagicJack phone service will NOT work with satellite service because of the delay in signal reception.

den888
10-17-2010, 8:09 AM
Sprint, Verizon or AT&T cellular 3G card would be an option I would try.

us.marshal
10-17-2010, 9:08 AM
+1 on the Cellular Carrier broadband card... Then you need a Cradlepoint PHS-300 router. They work awesome at home and on the road. Easy set up as well. Even if you are in a spotty coverage area, you can put the router in a hot spot (high) within your residence and you are in business. Highly recommended.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/phs300-personal-wifi-hotspot-3g4g

bigmike82
10-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I work for a SatCom provider...

You'll definitely want to go with the Cell option. HughesNet is crap (but useful crap if you can't get anything else). Any good satellite connection will run you several thousand in startup costs, plus another thousand or more per month for service.

On the note about DSL. I would do the following first. Reterminate your phone jack your DSL modem uses. Install filters on all lines used for regular telephones. Hell, unplug all phones and see if your speeds improve. The above three steps helped me out a lot in the past when I had wonky DSL service.

todd2968
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
No directway it is super expensive they don't rent you have to buy and as soon as you buy it is obsolete and your left with junk $1000 worth of junk.

odysseus
10-17-2010, 1:00 PM
I'm at 768k and paying for 1mbps. I'm below the slowest speed that verizon dsl offers(1 I think). I'm only about 10 minutes away from town though which is why I don't understand.

My internet will go down every 2-3 months and they never tell me why it does that, does anyone know?

To answer some of you guys questions, I do get pretty good cellphone service even though I'm with Sprint/Nextel. If I walk outside I can see big antennas blinking at a distance.

This is not uncommon with borderline copper issues. Have they had a tech out to measure your signal strength to the CO from your NID or other troubleshooting issues? You can keep going down that road, but I bet it is just gear midstream between you and them degrading, and the CLEC will mostly not fix it since it isn't worth their money on home DSL accounts. You are at pretty slow and easy to support ATM speeds there.

If you have good cell signals, definitely check out the many options out there you could do to get and share that data signal. Just make sure you have an unlimited data plan, some devices include those. Sprint sells them too if you want to stay in contract or save by adding on. You don't have to depending on how you do it.

Veggie
10-17-2010, 1:05 PM

I had the exact same experiences with them.

And to add when I canceled after the 2 years. They didn't cancel it. I got a call from some collections agency 2 months later for 2 months service. I had to call Hughesnet and talk to a higher up and they made me pay for the 2 months or they would just send it back to collections. Because I didn't call to reconfirm the cancellation.

Nessal
10-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I found that speeds on a tethered iphone is REALLY fast. I mean, I can download a 5mb mp3 is about 25-30 seconds. My Iphone 4 is jailbroken so I don't pay any extra fees. If you have good 3G reception, maybe look into getting tethering for your phones.

MrNiceGuy
10-20-2010, 8:49 AM
Assuming ATT 3G signal is strong at your location, you can get the iPhone4 and turn on the wireless hotspot feature (think ATT charge extra for it).
Basically, it makes your iPhone a wireless hotspot.
Then all you gotta do is buy two wireless network cards (or USB "dongles") and plug it into your computers (obviously almost all laptops have wireless capabilities built it) to make them wireless capable.
Now the two computers you got can basically connect wirelessly to use the iPhone as the source of your internet connection.
Keep in mind ATT are bastards now and charge you extra $$ if you use too much bandwidth (like streaming pron 7x24).....read their service contract carefully.

Verizon or Sprint are a viable option "if" their 3G/4G service are strong at your house (from my experience Verizon cell service sucks in the "boonies").
Good news is the Verizon "HTC Incredible" and "Droid X" are great phones and fully capable of being used as a "wireless hotspot".
I believe same goes for the Sprint EVO (which is 4G capable in certain areas, if not it at least will be 3G).
Keep in mind both companies will charge you extra for turning on the "wireless hotspot" feature.
Verizon doesn't have a "go over a certain maximum bandwidth and I'll charge you extra" fee, yet.
But I heard if they feel you're "abusing" it, like streaming or downloading GIGs of content everyday, they might charge you.....again....only rumor.

Oh....lastly.....you can "jailbreak" all the phones so you can turn on the "wireless hotspot" capabilities and not pay the phone companies (but you still have to pay for the data plan)....but you might "brick" your phone if you don't do it right.....so you're taking a chance.

But if you get crappy cell phone service out where you live no matter which company you go with, then disregard my long spiel.....:P

stphnman20
10-20-2010, 8:53 AM
Assuming ATT 3G signal is strong at your location, you can get the iPhone4 and turn on the wireless hotspot feature (think ATT charge extra for it).
Basically, it makes your iPhone a wireless hotspot.
Then all you gotta do is buy two wireless network cards (or USB "dongles") and plug it into your computers (obviously almost all laptops have wireless capabilities built it) to make them wireless capable.
Now the two computers you got can basically connect wirelessly to use the iPhone as the source of your internet connection.
Keep in mind ATT are bastards now and charge you extra $$ if you use too much bandwidth (like streaming pron 7x24).....read there service contract carefully.

Verizon or Sprint are a viable option "if" their 3G/4G service are strong at your house (from my experience Verizon cell service sucks in the "boonies").
Good news is the Verizon "HTC Incredible" and "Droid X" are great phones and fully capable of being used as a "wireless hotspot".
I believe same goes for the Sprint EVO (which is 4G capable in certain areas, if not it at least will be 3G).
Keep in mind both companies will charge you extra for turning on the "wireless hotspot" feature.
Verizon doesn't have a "go over a certain maximum bandwidth and I'll charge you extra" fee, yet.
But I heard if they feel you're "abusing" it, like streaming or downloading GIGs of content everyday, they might charge you.....again....only rumor.

Oh....lastly.....you can "jailbreak" all the phones so you can turn on the "wireless hotspot" capabilities and not pay the phone companies....but you might "brick" your phone if you don't do it right.....so you're taking a chance.

But if you get crappy cell phone service out where you live no matter which company you go with, then disregard my long spiel.....:P
Or you can just buy one of those MiFi deals. It turns 3g into wifi. Depending on how strong the 3g signal is.

SG_Niner
10-23-2010, 6:23 PM
I do not post often, but what ever you do, DO NOT!!!! go with Hughes network.