PDA

View Full Version : Handgun practice at home

LloydXmas250
10-15-2010, 5:15 PM
I've been practicing with my gun and snap caps a lot but I've been running out of drills. I was wondering if I (and others who will see this) know of any good home drills to practice with. These are the drills I know and do:
-Placing a coin on the slide and dry firing
-Just plain old dry firing
-FTF/FTE drills
-Reloading drills
-Drawing from a holster (although I don't have a holster yet, I just use the pants pocket in the meantime)
-The pencil drill (although that one is my least favorite and I don't really feel like it's helping)

Any other drills I should be doing? Thanks

safewaysecurity
10-15-2010, 5:17 PM
Room clearing drills

faterikcartman
10-15-2010, 5:20 PM
Room clearing drills

I used to know an expert at this; though he used garlic and chili, not a gun.

Letitrip
10-15-2010, 5:22 PM
I have an account through gunbroker and they send me a monthly newsletter electronically that has many good video links. One of the links I recently received was about how to draw correctly.

I practiced that a lot and I feel a lot better doing it. The technique allows for close quarters and distance situations.

Also, don't practice drawing without a holster unless that is how you will be carrying all the time. You want to practice the way things will be so that it becomes natural and second nature.

VictorFranko
10-15-2010, 5:22 PM
Malfunction drills, very important, especially if you are shooting something other than a Glock :p

(Oops, just saw your FTF/FTE drills!)

sker13
10-15-2010, 5:28 PM
I used to know an expert at this; though he used garlic and chili, not a gun.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tear gas!

OneSevenDeuce
10-15-2010, 5:31 PM
I would suggest you come up with a real working plan in case of a home invasion or other scenarios. It isn't exactly a pistol drill, but it is equally important. Just knowing how to shoot isn't even half the battle. Know what you are going to do before, during, and after a shooting situation. Assuming you are practicing for a self defense scenario of course. Other than that, you can try out support hand draw, one handed reloads, or other exotic type drills. All of that is fine, however I would really suggest doing all your old drills over and over and over again.

You are not running out of drills, you just need to keep doing the ones you might most likely use. Do them thousands of times and you MIGHT start to develop muscle memory. Keep it up.

LloydXmas250
10-15-2010, 5:37 PM
I would suggest you come up with a real working plan in case of a home invasion or other scenarios. It isn't exactly a pistol drill, but it is equally important. Just knowing how to shoot isn't even half the battle. Know what you are going to do before, during, and after a shooting situation. Assuming you are practicing for a self defense scenario of course. Other than that, you can try out support hand draw, one handed reloads, or other exotic type drills. All of that is fine, however I would really suggest doing all your old drills over and over and over again.

You are not running out of drills, you just need to keep doing the ones you might most likely use. Do them thousands of times and you MIGHT start to develop muscle memory. Keep it up.

If you wouldn't mind could you let me know how one handed reloading works? Also, some tips for support hand shooting might be nice. I've been doing these drills every day. I'm getting pretty good at reloading. I have it down to where I can reload with eyes closed consistently and quickly. Thanks for the tips so far.

jak77
10-15-2010, 5:38 PM
Anyway to do malfunction drills without snap caps? Links to vids?

OneSevenDeuce
10-15-2010, 5:44 PM
If you wouldn't mind could you let me know how one handed reloading works? Also, some tips for support hand shooting might be nice. I've been doing these drills every day. I'm getting pretty good at reloading. I have it down to where I can reload with eyes closed consistently and quickly. Thanks for the tips so far.

There are a ton of ways to do a one handed reload. The only problem is that none of them are "good" ways. It's only advisable if one arm is disabled. Some people will stow the gun behind their knee while kneeling and use their one good hand to insert the new magazine. Of course it is very easy to flag yourself while you are doing this so... Watch that muzzle and make sure you don't.

The only reason I mentioned it is because it's something different. I can't say it's something that I practice.

LloydXmas250
10-15-2010, 6:43 PM
There are a ton of ways to do a one handed reload. The only problem is that none of them are "good" ways. It's only advisable if one arm is disabled. Some people will stow the gun behind their knee while kneeling and use their one good hand to insert the new magazine. Of course it is very easy to flag yourself while you are doing this so... Watch that muzzle and make sure you don't.

The only reason I mentioned it is because it's something different. I can't say it's something that I practice.

Sounds awkward. I may try it but sounds risky. Anyone have any other drills worth learning or any tips?

OneSevenDeuce
10-15-2010, 6:48 PM
Sounds awkward. I may try it but sounds risky. Anyone have any other drills worth learning or any tips?

If you always treat your gun as if it were loaded (as you should be doing) then yes, it is awkward and dangerous. Which is precisely why I don't recommend it. You have to ask yourself is this something I would likely have to do? Maybe, but probably not. Asses, and mitigate, your risk.

LloydXmas250
10-15-2010, 7:20 PM
If you always treat your gun as if it were loaded (as you should be doing) then yes, it is awkward and dangerous. Which is precisely why I don't recommend it. You have to ask yourself is this something I would likely have to do? Maybe, but probably not. Asses, and mitigate, your risk.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for all your advice. You're very knowledgable with this stuff. I'm constantly over at your site glog-blog.com Where did you receive your training if you don't mind me asking. Also I was wondering if you were thinking about doing a post on proper reloading. I am good at reloading but in all honesty I don't know if my techniques are good. For example I cant my handgun while reloading. Should I avoid that? I also have to change my grip ever so slightly in order to engage the mag release. A post on your site about reloading could be really helpful.

chesterthehero
10-15-2010, 7:41 PM
once you get your holster practice drawing and aiming in different stances (sitting, laying down, crouching, peeking around a corner, weakhand, ect)

OneSevenDeuce
10-16-2010, 3:50 AM
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for all your advice. You're very knowledgable with this stuff. I'm constantly over at your site glog-blog.com Where did you receive your training if you don't mind me asking. Also I was wondering if you were thinking about doing a post on proper reloading. I am good at reloading but in all honesty I don't know if my techniques are good. For example I cant my handgun while reloading. Should I avoid that? I also have to change my grip ever so slightly in order to engage the mag release. A post on your site about reloading could be really helpful.

I have gotten training at a lot of places over the years. I was an instructor for my unit's short range marksmanship program, and I actually just got finished with a DOS course recently. It's an accumulated type of thing. Reloading is also a great suggestion. Once I get some time back at home I will probably put together a more complex post about it, but canting your weapon and bringing it into your workspace to reload is fine. That's the way I do it.

MidnightSon117
10-16-2010, 4:22 AM
Are you practicing with a revolver or semi-auto? If it's a semi-auto, I'd suggest practicing trigger-resetting. Take the mag out, rack the slide to unload the firearm. Squeeze and hold the trigger, rack the slide, and slowly (at first) release the trigger till you feel it reset (a click.) You can then squeeze the trigger again.

You can go faster on the squeeze after it resets and gradually speed up, once you get used to the length. Releasing just enough to reset then squeezing again (both quickly) is what I'd be aiming for.

Greg-Dawg
10-16-2010, 6:58 AM
"You talk'n to me?"

LloydXmas250
10-16-2010, 7:39 AM
It's a semi. I'll have to try out it's reset point. Thanks

MidnightSon117
10-17-2010, 9:07 PM
"You talk'n to me?"

HAHA!

"You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron."