PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911

GammaRei
10-15-2010, 3:54 PM
I was messing with my 1911 yesterday and noticed something odd. I was able to drop the hammer on the 1911 single handed. Which is odd since your thumb would have to go up to the hammer therefore skipping the beaver tail safety on the rear. I tried it today and was able to reproduce it 100% of the time. This is odd to me. Can anyone else drop the hammer on their 1911 without the beaver tail safety?

- G

pepsi2451
10-15-2010, 4:39 PM
If you pull the hammer back all the way with your thumb it should hit the safety and allow you to pull the trigger. You should not be able to pull the trigger unless the safety is being pressed, either by your hand or by the hammer.

OneSevenDeuce
10-15-2010, 4:52 PM
Yeah, pulling the hammer back with your firing hand actuates the grip safety. It's the same on all 1911s.

Gator
10-15-2010, 7:05 PM
mine would fire without the grip safety engaged as well. its been in the shop a month now and am really wondering whats the deal with it. finding it hard to believe how so many people swear by these things. you get what you pay for i guess...

vega
10-15-2010, 8:10 PM
mine would fire without the grip safety engaged as well. its been in the shop a month now and am really wondering whats the deal with it. finding it hard to believe how so many people swear by these things. you get what you pay for i guess...
Want to sell it?

mixwell
10-15-2010, 8:50 PM
I was messing with my 1911 yesterday and noticed something odd. I was able to drop the hammer on the 1911 single handed. Which is odd since your thumb would have to go up to the hammer therefore skipping the beaver tail safety on the rear. I tried it today and was able to reproduce it 100% of the time. This is odd to me. Can anyone else drop the hammer on their 1911 without the beaver tail safety?

- G

Not sure exactly what you're mentioning but I have been able to decock the hammer but I had to use a portion of my thumb on the ext grip safety on my 1911 but that was a youtube video challenge to cock the hammer, decock, press check and eventually 1 hand field strip... If you had enough pressure on the grip safety you can do it but if you help the gun carefully to not actuate the grip safety then you should not be able to drop the hammer via pulling the trigger.. I don't know if this relates to your problem but yea...

1forall
10-15-2010, 9:19 PM
@ Gator, Lol...but really do you want to sell it? Which model is it?

Gator
10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
its just the base gi model in .45. i dont think im gonna part with the rock until i can replace it with another 1911.

redcliff
10-16-2010, 6:56 AM
If you can pull the trigger and drop the hammer without the grip safety being depressed by either your hand or by first over-cocking the hammer to contact the grip safety than your grip safety is not functioning properly and needs to be repaired.

Hold the EMPTY cocked and unlocked pistol so that the grip safety is definitely not being touched and pull the trigger; if the hammer falls the grip safety is out of spec. It will either have to be welded to add more material or replaced.

bigbob76
10-16-2010, 8:45 AM

It's not hard to pay extra if you ask me. The market is brutally competitive, as it should be. When times get hard quality control is often cut back in the budget I guess. From what I've seen though Rock Island looks like a lot of bang for the buck.

GammaRei
10-16-2010, 8:58 AM
If you can pull the trigger and drop the hammer without the grip safety being depressed by either your hand or by first over-cocking the hammer to contact the grip safety than your grip safety is not functioning properly and needs to be repaired.

Hold the EMPTY cocked and unlocked pistol so that the grip safety is definitely not being touched and pull the trigger; if the hammer falls the grip safety is out of spec. It will either have to be welded to add more material or replaced.

Seems to be whats happening.

- G

pepsi2451
10-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Seems to be whats happening.

- G

It should be covered under the warranty, I would definitely send it in. Luckily I haven't had to test their warranty but I have heard good things.

Really a month and they aren't even keeping you posted? That sucks. Hope everything works out and you get your pistol back soon.

Rekrab
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
That's pretty strange. I've never seen that issue with mine.

JAGGUY
10-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Contact Ivan or Arnel at Armscor and you will be taken care of. A great warranty service.

vincentk
10-16-2010, 5:02 PM
I sure hope a solution is found to this, because I'm really close to getting an RIA 1911 Tactical, and this would change my decision if it happens repeatedly.

corvetteguy
10-16-2010, 7:28 PM
I own an RIA Tach and know several people who own them and I am constantly on several forums that have sections for RIA, and this is the first time I have heard about this problem! Every manufacture will let something slip through the cracks from time to time! It's what they do to fix it that matters! So to anyone thinking about buying an RIA, I say buy with confidence! They are great guns at a great price!

Have fun!

David

k1dude
10-16-2010, 8:06 PM
I sure hope a solution is found to this, because I'm really close to getting an RIA 1911 Tactical, and this would change my decision if it happens repeatedly.

Tens of thousands of happy RIA Tactical owners are out there with no problems with the grip safety malfunctioning. I'm included in that number. The gun and warranty get rave reviews for a reason.

vega
10-16-2010, 8:31 PM

If this is your logic of buying firearms then you won't be buying any firearms from any manufacturer at all.

GW
10-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Tens of thousands of happy RIA Tactical owners are out there with no problems with the grip safety malfunctioning. I'm included in that number. The gun and warranty get rave reviews for a reason.

+!
I too am one of those happy 10,000's