PDA

View Full Version : Military buying handgun

cgseanp1
10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I bought a handgun about 6 years ago, but can't remember the whole process and what was required. I've since bought long guns and the only thing needed was my orders to prove I am stationed in CA and my Mil ID. Do you need anything else to buy a handgun?

I am asking for a buddy of mine, he was told he needs to provide a copy of a utility bill with his name on it to prove he lives here and I'm just wondering if that's the law, or just this gun shops rule.

Thanks

PyroFox79
10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Some places use a utility bill or a Cars registrations. It mainly to verify your address. Id go to the shop that you want to buy your gun from and ask them what they require.

cgseanp1
10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks. Like I said above, I'm asking for a friend. He doesn't have any utility bills (they were all in his wifes name) and his car is registered in another state. He put his name on the utility account, but I guess he now has to wait to get the bill in the mail.

Mongoblack23
10-15-2010, 12:02 PM
the military id simply removes the necessity the the hand gun safety certificate. they will still need another proof of residence, most commonly, a vehicle registration or a land locked utility bill (gas, power, water....) they may ask for orders as well... like pyro said, go into the shop and ask...

Plisk
10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
All you need to purchase a handgun in CA is your Mil ID and a copy of your current station orders, showing you're stationed in CA. Those 2 things are all you need.

41M
10-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Is your friend active duty military? Non-resident active duty should be able to use their military ID and copy of PCS orders, PC 12071(b)(8)(C).

cgseanp1
10-15-2010, 1:02 PM
Is your friend active duty military? Non-resident active duty should be able to use their military ID and copy of PCS orders, PC 12071(b)(8)(C).
Thanks
All you need to purchase a handgun in CA is your Mil ID and a copy of your current station orders, showing you're stationed in CA. Those 2 things are all you need.
Thanks
the military id simply removes the necessity the the hand gun safety certificate. they will still need another proof of residence, most commonly, a vehicle registration or a land locked utility bill (gas, power, water....) they may ask for orders as well... like pyro said, go into the shop and ask...

This is not the case for long guns, which is why I was asking. Mil Orders provide proof of residency for them.

pgg
10-15-2010, 2:18 PM
Can you cite a reference for this?

I bought a handgun not too long ago, and they required two proofs of residency in addition to my mil ID and orders.

And they were picky about what would suffice.

cgseanp1
10-15-2010, 2:46 PM
Post 6 has the specific law code.