View Full Version : PC not connecting to internet via wireless. Ok wired

10-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

Trying to help out a friend. I know nothing about PC's. Getting this info relayed from my wife who is at home trying to help her via me at work. :confused:

She has a laptop that can connect to the internet at her house via a wireless connection. When she goes to school, she can connect to the wireless network, but cant get on the internet. email works fine.

Tried at my house using my wireless connection. Again, she can connect to my wireless network, but can't get on the internet.

Wired access works fine.

Any ideas with the minuscule amount of information I've provided?

10-15-2010, 1:25 PM
I suppose it could be possible (but somewhat unlikely) that she has a static IP configured. Most home networks use DHCP which essentially means the routers assign IP address to computers upon connecting, but some do use manually set IPs, which for the most part, would only work on their private network and nowhere else.

10-15-2010, 2:23 PM
Yeah, is your home network using DHCP or do you have it setup static? If you're using DHCP what I would do is have her delete your home network from her list of saved wireless networks and try to connect again. It is also possible that there could be old settings from your wireless network in there (have you changed them?) if she's been on it before and you've changed the settings.

10-15-2010, 2:49 PM
Thanks... I understand DHCP and IP a bit so what's been said makes sense. I have a feeling that's what it is. i.e. she probably has a static IP.

She's never been on "my" wireless network before but is able to surf wirelessly at her house. Which, if she had a static IP, would make sense depending on how they have their network set up.

So when she goes to her school (or to my house to test her issue) the static IP is not accepted.

Thanks again!

10-15-2010, 2:51 PM
Check the LAN settings in the Internet Explorer program. it may be set for a fixed IP or a proxy.

10-15-2010, 3:27 PM
One more question...

Why would she be able to connect via a wired connection but not a wireless?

i.e. she brought her laptop to school and while she was able to connect to the wireless network, she could not get on the internet. They hooked her laptop up via a wired connection and she could surf the 'net on that connection.

10-15-2010, 3:45 PM
What OS (Windows XP, Vista or 7?) Vista is a real PITA when you make those changes as it sees each as a separate network (Can happen just changing routers. Easy to fix, just need to set an identity to the network & things will work again.

10-15-2010, 3:48 PM
Thanks. That makes sense too. I'll find out what OS.

EDIT: She has Windows Vista

10-17-2010, 6:30 PM

All fixed. She had two TCP settings in her Control Panel. One of them was set as a static IP. Changed it to automatically get an IP and everything worked perfect.

Thanks for your help.