PDA

View Full Version : intra-familial transfers

michael1one
10-15-2010, 8:51 AM
Luckily my dad lives out of state. He recently bought a gun that he doesn't want. Does anyone know how long he should wait before he can gift it to me.

Oceanbob
10-15-2010, 9:38 AM
Luckily my dad lives out of state. He recently bought a gun that he doesn't want. Does anyone know how long he should wait before he can gift it to me.

10 minutes.

08duramax
10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
2 minutes

9mmepiphany
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
he should have just had his FFL send it to your FFL...it is a gift after all and they can send it with less expensive shipping

boink
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
if I haven't been fed wrong information--if the pistol is off-list, make sure he includes a note with it including the make, model, caliber, and a short bit stating it is a gift.

JohnFLand
10-15-2010, 7:29 PM
he should have just had his FFL send it to your FFL...it is a gift after all and they can send it with less expensive shipping

The dad can ship directly to the CA FFL of the son; no need to involve a second FFL. The dad should send a gift-note as outlined above.

bigbob76
10-15-2010, 8:03 PM
The dad can ship directly to the CA FFL of the son; no need to involve a second FFL. The dad should send a gift-note as outlined above.

I would first find a CA FFL that agrees this transfer is something he knows about and is willing to do.

jtmkinsd
10-15-2010, 9:05 PM
I would first find a CA FFL that agrees this transfer is something he knows about and is willing to do.

^^^^^^THIS...Make sure your FFL will receive said gun and process it for you...Your dad needs to include a letter stating the gun is a gift to you, make, model, and serial number. As well, he will need to include a legible copy of his state license/ID.

Some FFLs will not process off roster guns for intra-familial transfers...mainly they just don't understand the process and don't want to deal with it.

9mmepiphany
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
my response was to how long the OP's father had to wait before sending him the gun.

the inference was that he did not have to wait, he could have just had the FFL he purchased it through send the gun.

also, if it is a handgun, the FFL can send it to the CA FFL at lower cost than the father can

jtmkinsd
10-15-2010, 10:39 PM
my response was to how long the OP's father had to wait before sending him the gun.

the inference was that he did not have to wait, he could have just had the FFL he purchased it through send the gun.

also, if it is a handgun, the FFL can send it to the CA FFL at lower cost than the father can

Yes...Generally I tell people to search for a transfer-only dealer...their fees are generally the lowest around...so Dad would pay transfer fee + shipping. FFL can send the gun US Postal Service for $20 or less depending on insurance. Dad sending the gun himself would have to use UPS/FedEx overnight...about $75. If done through FFL he could save maybe $20 or so.

michael1one
10-16-2010, 1:07 AM
Thanks for the great info. This is really a great forum.

Today, I tried an out of state FFL seller on Gun broker today but he called it a shill deal or something and wasn't interested. I'll keep asking around. Can anyone recommend a Bay Area FFL that is good to work with?

ke6guj
10-16-2010, 1:32 AM
Thanks for the great info. This is really a great forum.

Today, I tried an out of state FFL seller on Gun broker today but he called it a shill deal or something and wasn't interested. I'll keep asking around. Can anyone recommend a Bay Area FFL that is good to work with?

why do you need to find an out-of-state seller, you said you father already owns the handgun? Just have your father ship the handgun that he owns to a CA FFL in CA.

If you father wants to buy a handgun and then gift it to you, that is fine.

But if you are searching for a handgun on gunbroker that you want, pay for it, and then have your father take possesion of it, so that he can "gift" it to you, then that does get close to "straw purchase" and I don't fault that out-of-state seller from running away from the deal.