View Full Version : Moving to Vacaville

10-15-2010, 5:34 AM
Hi everybody.
I am moving for a job to Vacaville and am planning to bring few firearms with me.
I have read all the convoluted twisted laws and regualtions on CA gun owning and how to "import" firearms to the state.
I would however like to ask specific questions as relates to the guns I am planning to bring with me.
here's the list:

Sig P229, .40S&W DAK trigger
Sigpro SP2024, 40S&W DA/SA
H&K USPc .357Sig
Walther P99 AS, 9mm
Steyr M40-A1
Walther PPS, 9mm
Glock G17 (CCF alloy frame)
H&K Mark 23, .45 (the threads are cut from the barrel)
Remington 870 shotgun 12ga

It seams that PPS is not on the approved list, and naturally neither is Mark 23. Will I be able to legally bring those to the state? As I mentioned, I have had threads cut off the Mark 23 barrel.

What are CA rules about caliber conversions (i.e. .40S$W to .357Sig)?

Some concern aboutr the G17 with alloy aftermarket frame, but I have already asked them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10-15-2010, 5:44 AM
Welcome to Solano County!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers shortly to your firearms questions, but as soon as you're settled, you may want to visit Triple A Sports, our very own gun store in Vallejo, and Center Mass, an indoor range in Vacaville. Both businesses are run by very nice folks.

10-15-2010, 6:22 AM
Hi, and welcome to Calguns.

New residents to California are allowed to import handguns that are not on the roster of handguns certified for sale as long as they are not "Assault weapons" according to the pistol flowchart. Having the threads removed from your mk23 was the right thing to do, since a threaded barrel on a pistol makes it an assault weapon in California. You will need to complete a registration form and pay $19 per handgun that you would like to import. There is no issue with importing the PPS, mk23 or CCF G17 as a new resident to California.

See the CGF wiki on Moving to California with Firearms (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Moving_to_California_with_firearms), you should find a complete explanation of the process. The shotgun is not a problem as long as the barrel is over 18" and the OAL is over 26".

Just FYI, the nearest outdoor range is Yolo Sportsmen's Association (about 20 min away). We have two local gun shops in Vacaville and both have indoor ranges.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Good luck with the move.

ETA: I forgot to mention the obvious: If you did not personally own the high capacity (11+ rounds) magazines for these pistols in California before 2000 you cannot import them into California now. You can leave them out of state or disassemble the mags into parts, but you may not assemble them while in California.

10-15-2010, 7:03 AM
Welcome to Vacaville! I'll send you a PM with the good food places and please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Take care.

10-15-2010, 8:25 AM
I don't recommend the gun shop/indoor range in Vacaville located off of I80, its called 'Guns Fishing & Other Stuff". Notorious for poor customer service, and jacked up prices.

10-15-2010, 9:21 AM
Welcome to Calguns!
black Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/ebony-girls/)

10-15-2010, 9:22 AM

10-15-2010, 9:42 AM
I don't recommend the gun shop/indoor range in Vacaville located off of I80, its called 'Guns Fishing & Other Stuff". Notorious for poor customer service, and jacked up prices.
+10, GFOS, in a word sucks. If you want a good handgun range hit up Center Mass shooting. Welcome to crackerville

10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
You know that "Vacaville" in English is "Cowville", right?

sorry for to hear about your loss (lol)

10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
welcome to the forum.

10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome, answers to my questions and helpful tips.
Regarding CCF frames, larry called me this morning to let me know that he is absolutely not allowed to sell his frames to CA, since they do not have loaded chamber indicator and other safety features. He tried explaining that it was a frame but has been unsucsessfull so far. He was not sure if I could self-import when moving.

tested my "neutered" Mark 23 today - shoots just as well as with the threads (not surprisingly), looks funny though.

I will be also selling 3 pistols: Steyr M40-A1, P229 and Beretta 92 Vertec, once I've settled in. No time to sell them here and don't want to leave them behind

10-15-2010, 2:44 PM
Larry at CCF is correct, he cannot sell his frames to Californians since the frame is considered the firearm and the CCF frames are not on the roster. They can never be added to the roster since they lack the required "safety" features that you mentioned. Calguns Foundation has filed a case that would nullify the roster, but until that happens we cannot buy a CCF frame or any other non-rostered handgun from an FFL in California. Personal importation of a non-rostered handgun by a new resident is completely legal. Private party transfer of a non-rostered handgun within California is also completely legal, as long as both buyer and seller are present at the FFL.

10-16-2010, 8:43 AM
Welcome to forum. Pretty impressive collection right there if I'm reading your post right! Enjoy.

10-17-2010, 3:10 AM
+1 for center mass. its so refreshing to have people in the gun business who act like they want your business. they are super friendly and helpful. i travel a good distance to shoot there from time to time. i actually have to pass guns fishing and other stuff on the way, because they are such ... *badword* 's

10-17-2010, 4:14 AM
Welcome to Calguns!