PDA

View Full Version : Yolo

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Anyone who gets denied in Yolo Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

RobG
11-18-2010, 8:32 PM
Are Yolo GC statements being requested or does the lawsuit take precedence?

wildhawker
11-18-2010, 9:23 PM
Yes, they were requested. The Richards case is not bearing on a PRA request. That's all I can say at this point.

gucci pilot
12-17-2010, 7:13 PM
Pretty quiet here in Yolo. :(

Considering the case down in socal, looks like it's going to be a long two weeks on our case.

wentbig
12-21-2010, 5:08 PM

Considering the case down in socal, looks like it's going to be a long two weeks on our case.

Ha, You are the first one I found in Woodland. Maybe we can get together on our training.

RobG
12-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Probably will be until Richards is decided. But, it should be a big one if it goes our way. Fingers crossed...:cool:

gucci pilot
12-22-2010, 7:46 PM
Ha, You are the first one I found in Woodland. Maybe we can get together on our training.

I've been trained, with more renewal classes than I can count. I'm just waiting to submit my application. It feels like us guys in Yolo have been thrown under the CCW bus for the sake of the rest of the state.

Good luck, my friend...

sar_man
12-23-2010, 7:27 AM
I've been trained, with more renewal classes than I can count. I'm just waiting to submit my application. It feels like us guys in Yolo have been thrown under the CCW bus for the sake of the rest of the state.

Good luck, my friend...

So why do you feel like you have been thrown under the bus?

wentbig
12-23-2010, 5:20 PM
Can anyone tell me where to get training that Yolo county will accept for CCW.
The yolo sportsman says go to the community college, the college says go to the yolo sportsman... I don't want to go to the wrong class.

RobG
12-23-2010, 5:27 PM
The yolo sportsman says go to the community college, the college says go to the yolo sportsman... I don't want to go to the wrong class.

Ron Etchells at Sac Valley Shooting Center always recieves high praise. Yolo Sportsman has been a mess for over a year now. I'd pass on them.

gucci pilot
12-23-2010, 5:34 PM

Nah, man. I shoot at Yolo Sportsmen all the time. They're great guys. The problem is that Yuba College usually only offers renewals at Yolo. I think the range office just wanted you to call Yuba College to find out when the next "initial" class is offered. That course is recognized by the Yolo sheriff's department. If worse comes to worse, you can go to Marysville where the instructor usually teaches. This instructor has been doing this class for a looong time. He's a good guy, just ask the Yuba College to get a message to him.

gucci pilot
12-23-2010, 5:36 PM
Ron Etchells at Sac Valley Shooting Center always recieves high praise. Yolo Sportsman has been a mess for over a year now. I'd pass on them.

Just curious, why do you think Yolo Sportsman is a mess for a year now? Quid pro quo, I'm very familiar with the staff.

gucci pilot
12-23-2010, 5:37 PM
So why do you feel like you have been thrown under the bus?

Yeah, you got a point. I'm just a wee bit frustrated that the focus is on the case down in Socal. Thanks for bringing me back in focus.

RobG
12-23-2010, 5:42 PM
Just curious, why do you think Yolo Sportsman is a mess for a year now? Quid pro quo, I'm very familiar with the staff.

Just my own experience. Unhelpful, unfriendly, shot up target frames, dirty, uncontrolled firing lines. I used to go frequently as I lived in Vacaville. I just feel it has gone down hill from a few years ago. Of course I stopped going over a year ago so maybe its gotten better.

gucci pilot
12-23-2010, 5:52 PM
Just my own experience. Unhelpful, unfriendly, shot up target frames, dirty, uncontrolled firing lines. I used to go frequently as I lived in Vacaville. I just feel it has gone down hill from a few years ago. Of course I stopped going over a year ago so maybe its gotten better.

It has IMHO. I've been a member for about 9 years. Yup, they've had some internal personnel drama, but I think it's been resolved. How about you shoot me a PM and we'll go shoot on my dime? We gotta support the few local ranges we have left. And if it needs improvement, then we need to let them know.

RobG
01-04-2011, 6:18 PM
Any recent updates to Richards and/or Yolo county in general?

gucci pilot
01-04-2011, 6:23 PM
Any recent updates to Richards and/or Yolo county in general?

:gene:

basalt
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Curious myself. Are we still in a waiting game?

wildhawker
01-11-2011, 1:51 PM
In terms of the Initiative, yes.

wentbig
01-12-2011, 6:04 PM
I have been following the forum for 6 months. I sponsor Yolo County. I live in the city of Woodland, the PD doesn't seem to have a written policy on issue. As you all know the Sheriff will not even hand out a application till applicant completes 8 hour training. I have taken the 10 hour class and plan on taking the 8 hour Feb.4th at the college. I have "Good Cause" that meets the Sheriff Office criteria.
My question, I want to use your guidance threw the process. Who if anyone on this form can help?

wentbig
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I have been following the forum for 6 months. I sponsor Yolo County. I live in the city of Woodland, the PD doesn't seem to have a written policy on issue. As you all know the Sheriff will not even hand out a application till applicant completes 8 hour training. I have taken the 10 hour class and plan on taking the 8 hour Feb.4th at the college. I have "Good Cause" that meets the Sheriff Office criteria.
My question, I want to use your guidance threw the process. Who if anyone on this form can help?

Wildhawker is helping thanks guys.

RobG
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
wentbig, keep us Yolo guys advised of your progress.

Thanks

wentbig
01-14-2011, 6:30 PM
It looks as though Woodland PD needs to be brought into compliance.
I am trying to attach there policy.
One quote listed gave me chills..
"It is our opinion that all CCW permits should be canceled and the penal code be rewritten to remove the CCW permit completely.
A few requirements..$million$ bond, $386. fee, letters of reference,training first, etc.

gucci pilot
01-16-2011, 7:22 PM
Wow. Yep. That's wrong. Did you send that to Gray and Brandon?

hoffmang
01-16-2011, 8:10 PM
It's not really worth spending a lot of effort on the Muni PDs and instead we are putting that effort on the sheriff (who can not decline to take an application.)

-Gene

gucci pilot
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
It's not really worth spending a lot of effort on the Muni PDs and instead we are putting that effort on the sheriff (who can not decline to take an application.)

-Gene

Gene, overall, I agree with the foundation on focusing on the sheriff with the CCW process. However, the above opinion viewed by Muni PDs are caustic and can have negative impact on Joe LEO on the street. The lucky few that have permits and the unwise open carry folks may have to interface with these usually fair & honest beat cops. Not that it pertains to our case, but I just finished reading a thread about some UOC calgunner who was targeted by a "rogue" muni PD officer. I know you guys have limited resources (yeah, I just donated another C note to the cause), but this needs to be addressed in some manner.

hoffmang
01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I know you guys have limited resources (yeah, I just donated another C note to the cause), but this needs to be addressed in some manner.

Which this are you worried about as I may not be catching what is concerning you?

If you have a 12050 permit you're a) unlikely to have police contact unlike a UOCer and b) if you do have contact (sadly for now) you'll be treated unfairly positively as you'll bask in the aura of the politically connected or truly threatened.

As 12050 licenses become common place, CGF will certainly be there for the necessary attitude adjustments down the road.

-Gene

wentbig
01-17-2011, 6:01 PM

-Gene

Do I understand correctly, I can bypass my City PD and go directly to Sheriff?

hoffmang
01-17-2011, 6:58 PM
Do I understand correctly, I can bypass my City PD and go directly to Sheriff?

Legally, absolutely. Practically we still have to educate a couple of sheriffs but that process is going well.

-Gene

gucci pilot
01-17-2011, 7:29 PM
Gene, all I'm asking for is an "education letter" from those who have legal knowledge and standing informing a municipal police department that their practices are not in line with state law. Additionally, I'm concerned with proprogating an attitude within the ranks. I'm currently mid-level leadership in the military and can see the writing on wall. For 18 years I've been there in Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Turkey, Bosnia, and I live in the Peoples' Republic of California. The policies of leadership will transcend to the troops. No offense, but I can see how non-Calgunners can get irrate with the foundation.

Gene, I mean this respectfully, but speaking of the 12050 permit, you guys have exploited my county for your benefit on CCW. I feel sorry for the guys down in San Diego. So, what's the latest on the case other than to wait for 2 more weeks?

hoffmang
01-17-2011, 7:47 PM
Gene, I mean this respectfully, but speaking of the 12050 permit, you guys have exploited my county for your benefit on CCW. I feel sorry for the guys down in San Diego. So, what's the latest on the case other than to wait for 2 more weeks?

It's clear to me you missed the news. The Motion for Summary Judgement (http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.caed.191626/gov.uscourts.caed.191626.54.1.pdf) was filed last week and the oral argument is currently scheduled for February 10, 2011 at the Eastern District Federal Court House in Sacramento at 2PM.

I take umbrage with "exploited." I hope you can see why. The political situation in Yolo county is somewhat unique and quite useful. In many ways, the victory we got in Sacramento is at the cost of the rest of the state but for the fact that Yolo has it's unique politics.

-Gene

gucci pilot
01-17-2011, 8:07 PM
I take umbrage with "exploited." I hope you can see why. The political situation in Yolo county is somewhat unique and quite useful. In many ways, the victory we got in Sacramento is at the cost of the rest of the state but for the fact that Yolo has it's unique politics.

-Gene

Again, you guys have gained an advantage from the case in my county and home. When I say, "thrown under the bus", I mean that many folks really don't give a crap about Yolo County other than a means to an end. I invited you guys to my "home" at the Yolo Fliers Club last year. So, you offer me solstice in unique politics. Great.

hoffmang
01-17-2011, 9:25 PM
Again, you guys have gained an advantage from the case in my county and home. When I say, "thrown under the bus", I mean that many folks really don't give a crap about Yolo County other than a means to an end. I invited you guys to my "home" at the Yolo Fliers Club last year. So, you offer me solstice in unique politics. Great.

We have the best litigator in the nation attempting to make your county the test case that goes to the Supreme Court.

What more do you want and does it come with a pony or a unicorn?

Your county decided to be less wise than Sacramento. That's not our fault but we will use it to everyone's advantage including yours.

-Gene

freonr22
01-17-2011, 9:28 PM
We have the best litigator in the nation attempting to make your county the test case that goes to the Supreme Court.

What more do you want and does it come with a pony or a unicorn?

Your county decided to be less wise than Sacramento. That's not our fault but we will use it to everyone's advantage including yours.

-Gene

Thank you for your time and service to our cause!

Lone_Gunman
01-17-2011, 11:21 PM

Wow, really? Really? They are funding and fighting a lawsuit to force Shall issue in CA. They care about 2A rights in ALL of California including Yolo County. Sounds to me like you're butthurt 'cause they didn't have the time or weren't available to come to your airplane club. Maybe they were busy securing rights for the people of California. Get over yourself.

Definition of SOLSTICE
: either of the two points on the ecliptic at which its distance from the celestial equator is greatest and which is reached by the sun each year about June 22 and December 22
: the time of the sun's passing a solstice which occurs about June 22 to begin summer in the northern hemisphere and about December 22 to begin winter in the northern hemisphere

Definition of SOLACE
transitive verb
: to give comfort to in grief or misfortune : console
a : to make cheerful b : amuse
: allay, soothe <solace grief>

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

RobG
01-18-2011, 8:35 AM
Gucci, not sure why the "attack" on the CGF. Yolo county just happens to hold the case that can bring shall issue ccw to all in Kalifornia. There is no one being thrown under a bus or taken advantage of. I too want a ccw and was hoping to have one sooner than later. But, I have realized these things take time and that it may never happen. Who knows, Richards may lose in state and lose in SCOTUS. There are no guarantees being implied here.

Hogxtz
01-18-2011, 10:46 AM

You have got to be kidding? You sir, have the wrong state of mind and are seeing from the wrong angle. You are standing right in the middle of the forrest and cant see the tree's. CGF is fighting tooth and nail for your gun rights. Try to show a little appreciation please, or go find another forum.

basalt
01-18-2011, 7:40 PM
In terms of the Initiative, yes.

I should have been more clear. In October or so I asked if I should apply for my permit in Yolo or wait. It was suggested in this forum I wait. Should I still wait or has that recommendation changed? Are we at a point now where denied applications will do the cause good?

Thanks

hoffmang
01-18-2011, 8:03 PM
I should have been more clear. In October or so I asked if I should apply for my permit in Yolo or wait. It was suggested in this forum I wait. Should I still wait or has that recommendation changed? Are we at a point now where denied applications will do the cause good?

More denials don't help the cause. If you have significantly heightened good cause you should not hesitate to apply. Anything less is a futile act for now.

-Gene

basalt
01-19-2011, 1:45 PM
Thanks.

wentbig
01-20-2011, 4:30 PM
Update on my Woodland CCW journey. I pm-ed "wildhawker" for guidance but we have not been able to talk. So...
Spoke to the Lt. that handles the permitting up to Chiefs approval. Very polite and respectful officer. We discussed the PD's policy, $million$ liability, $580. fee etc.
I wanted to hear his opinion on the case in court involving the Sheriff. The officer said he had no idea and did not know how out of compliance the PD is. I gave the officers some websites to get current info including this one. I am starting to understand how a city attorney can set policy and the Chief just follows along. I think some LEOs really just don't care to spend the time doing there own research.
I can pay $120. to apply, get denied and go to the Yolo SO.
But, I think I may go the whole way with the PD just for fun. I am able to get the million$ insurance policy and can pay the overcharge on the fees.
I want to hear what you all think.

MURDOCK
01-20-2011, 5:32 PM
I dont think that is a good idea. For one, you are going to be giving your rights away. you will be giving in to an unjust and illegal process that was designed only to fail. Who has a million $ insurance policy. Not very many people I now. Almost impossible policies are surly designed for people to fail. Maybe you can change the system. That would be cool if you got your CCW but at what cost, and what freedoms are you willing to let go for you to get a CCW. If you dont give in to those policies and fight them then maybe you can help change them to complie with are rights as americans and everyone may be able to obtain a CCW.

resident-shooter
01-24-2011, 5:03 PM
:cheers2:

taperxz
01-24-2011, 5:14 PM
Update on my Woodland CCW journey. I pm-ed "wildhawker" for guidance but we have not been able to talk. So...
Spoke to the Lt. that handles the permitting up to Chiefs approval. Very polite and respectful officer. We discussed the PD's policy, $million$ liability, $580. fee etc.
I wanted to here his opinion on the case in court involving the Sheriff. The officer said he had no idea and did not know how fare out of compliance the PD is. I gave the officers some websites to get current info including this one. I am starting to understand how a city attorney can set policy and the Chief just follows along. I think some LEOs really just don't care to spend the time doing there own research.
I can pay $120. to apply, get denied and go to the Yolo SO.
But, I think I may go the whole way with the PD just for fun. I am able to get the million$ insurance policy and can pay the overcharge on the fees.
I want to hear what you all think.

If you cared about the initiative taken on by CGF you would wait. The work these guys are doing is important for all. Why bend over to the current politics when in time they will bow to your requests?

wentbig
01-24-2011, 6:49 PM
If you cared about the initiative taken on by CGF you would wait. The work these guys are doing is important for all. Why bend over to the current politics when in time they will bow to your requests?

Thanks for the response. I see you are a senior member, I want your input.
I tried "wildhawker" with no luck. I will follow any informed direction.

taperxz
01-24-2011, 7:00 PM
Thanks for the response. I see you are a senior member, I want your input.
I tried "wildhawker" with no luck. I will follow any informed direction.

No one is telling you what to do. However, CGF has made it clear that they are here to help us get our CCW's through the sheriffs depts. I suggest you wait and support and let them do there work. No one likes waiting but thats the game we're in. BTW have no illusions. Just because i am a senior member means nothing!!! All it means is i have over 500 posts. I am just a fly in the ointment like everyone else posting here that is not KES, a moderator or a CGF affiliate.

resident-shooter
01-24-2011, 8:03 PM
I agree. All the litigations and politics are slow, but nowdays it works for us, more or less. Patience is the key. I mean I want to carry a gun around with no permission like AZ people, but we need to be realistic here and work together :)

wentbig
02-01-2011, 5:25 PM
Up-date on my Yolo CCW. I am taking the class approved by the Yolo Sheriff at the Yolo Sportsman Friday 2/4/11 . I will keep you all up on my progress.

resident-shooter
02-01-2011, 7:52 PM
nice. how much does it cost btw?

wentbig
02-02-2011, 5:17 PM
nice. how much does it cost btw?

$60. 2or 3 hours law and 5 hours range. I think a retired Yuba County deputy teaches the class. I will post Friday night with a report.

resident-shooter
02-02-2011, 6:19 PM
I mean getting the ccw itself. Applying and stuff.

wentbig
02-08-2011, 3:36 PM
Took the Yolo County class at the Sportsman. 8 hours 2 hours on the range. 5, 10, and 15 yards must have 80% hits. Easy everyone passed, even the woman with the old Ruger mk 1 .22 pistol that would not fire after 12 rounds.
Now I have to fight with the Sheriff on accepting my app or fight with the PD on there over charges and million dollar liability policy.

wildhawker
02-22-2011, 8:03 AM
You'll more than likely have to wait for our Federal civil rights case to resolve. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness

gucci pilot
03-01-2011, 6:38 PM
Guys, sorry for the off topic. I finally got home from a long deployment, fired up my 'puter and re-read my posts. Yup, I've been a putz about "the woah is me" Yolo residents have been taken advantage of. Yeah, that's wrong. Hell, I've spent the most of my time outside of the country let alone the county in the last 3 months. I'd like to wish all the best to our side on the 10th, and although I physically won't be there, I'll be there in spirit. Good luck, boys!

And to lonegunman, thanks for the education. I meant "solace" which means "comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort". My iPhone thought I meant something else. Glad you're there for me, professor.

wildhawker
03-01-2011, 6:40 PM
We definitely appreciate the support; stay safe.

Guys, sorry for the off topic. I finally got home from a long deployment, fired up my 'puter and re-read my posts. Yup, I've been a putz about "the woah is me" Yolo residents have been taken advantage of. Yeah, that's wrong. Hell, I've spent the most of my time outside of the country let alone the county in the last 3 months. I'd like to wish all the best to our side on the 10th, and although I physically won't be there, I'll be there in spirit. Good luck, boys!

And to lonegunman, thanks for the education. I meant "solace" which means "comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort". My iPhone thought I meant something else. Glad you're there for me, professor.

gucci pilot
03-01-2011, 7:19 PM
Brandon, thanks, I really appreciate your kindness. Let me know if I can be of service in the future. BTW, I'm trying to save my pennies but I love to shoot...

resident-shooter
03-01-2011, 8:17 PM
I'm trying to save my pennies but I love to shoot...

tell me bout eet :o

wentbig
03-16-2011, 5:58 PM
After phone call and sending the Lt. in charge of CCWs to calguns,
The brass talked to the city attorney and decided to declare G.
All future CCW apps in the city of Woodland are sent directly to the Yolo Sheriff.

wentbig
04-05-2011, 5:00 PM
Dropped off my application at the Yolo Sheriff dept. this morning. Very pleasant staff looked over papers to make sure I did'nt miss anything.
They said OK we will send it up the chain.

77bawls
04-05-2011, 5:27 PM
Dropped off my application at the Yolo Sheriff dept. this morning. Very pleasant staff looked over papers to make sure I did'nt miss anything.
They said OK we will send it up the chain.

I don't get it, you want a rejection? :confused:

wentbig
04-06-2011, 8:04 PM
No I don't want rejection. How did you come to that assumption?
I have good cause, I am not otherwise prohibited and have good moral character.
Yolo Sheriff Dept. has issued over 200 permits a year for the past 5 years.

resident-shooter
04-06-2011, 9:59 PM
That number needs to be multiplied by 100

wentbig
04-18-2011, 7:10 PM
Seems like the only county action is on the CCW Forum. Whaaa Whaaa Whaa:confused:

gucci pilot
04-19-2011, 5:37 PM
:sleeping: huh, wah? :sleeping:

2 weeks dude, 2 weeks.

:twoweeks:

resident-shooter
04-19-2011, 5:42 PM
+1 on two wheaks.

wentbig
05-16-2011, 4:46 PM
4/5 app. 4/12 live scan, 5/16 permit.
Thanks to all that guided me.

usui
05-29-2011, 1:16 PM
Wow, Congrats wentbig! I live in yolo too. Was your good cause extraneous or common?

daveinwoodland
05-29-2011, 1:26 PM

That's an understatement :)

Pavel
05-30-2011, 6:04 PM
4/5 app. 4/12 live scan, 5/16 permit.
Thanks to all that guided me.

For curiousity's sake, was your "good cause" having to do with being responsible for large sums of cash for a business/employer?

wentbig
05-30-2011, 6:35 PM
For curiousity's sake, was your "good cause" having to do with being responsible for large sums of cash for a business/employer?

Standard good cause. I had 3 very good letters, current training exciding Yolo's 8 hours. I gave them all my certs. I do manage my rental property, I am a big guy "that makes bad guys use deadly force instead of fist fighting".
Size works both ways, too small or too big= good cause to carry a weapon.
I have not personally met anyone who applied and was denied by Yolo County.

wentbig
10-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Yolo county is issuing about 300 permits a year. Just Cause criteria can be found on the Sheriff website. I am a everyday kind of guy and got my permit in 5 weeks.
anyone that followes all the steps and consults with a CCW holder on Just Cause, will be issued a permit. I will help anyone that is willing to do the footwork.

Fouredwards
12-08-2011, 2:26 PM
You I never got an answer back from that office. As a matter of fact when I last check on my app back in 09 . The person that was incharge of giving the permits would not speak to me. Sad part is that I know have FL,AZ, and OR CCW. The most I ever had was a speeding ticket. I want to obtian my own state .

wentbig
12-14-2011, 2:14 PM
Carrying large sums of cash make you a target. You are protecting your life, the money can be replaced. You may want to consult with a Yolo licence holder and fine tune your just cause. Did you provide the three letters Yolo requires? I have offered my help to anyone that wants to do the work it takes to get the Licence. In 8 months only one person has taken me up on the offer, the balance of Licence seekers must be consumed with posting on Calguns till 1*30am and complaining about CCW policy.

sushidot
12-19-2011, 3:22 PM
I wanted to share my experience with users on this site with my experience obtaining my CCW in Yolo County.

I applied in 2007 in Sacramento County when I was a resident there but was denied. Everyone was denied during those times virtually. I moved to Woodland and applied with the PD in 2009 and was denied there as well.

I put the idea on the shelf until last summer, when crime increased significantly around the areas I work to the point where I felt my safety was in question on a day to day basis..

I started doing my research and met someone here on the site who gave me some great advice, pointed me to some resources and stressed to me that it will take work.

He was right. It took work. I practiced, read books by Massad Ayoub, Suarez and tons of articles to the point where I understood the material well enough to damn near go blind. In the end, I learned a great deal about the law, civil rights, liabilities and responsibilities of permit holders and citizens alike. The research involved in this quest really opened my eyes to a world I never knew about and a hobby I've come to enjoy.

Today I got my permit. I applied towards the end of October and received the permit today.

I truly believe that anyone who does their "homework" so to speak and really understands the process AND is passionate about it has an excellent chance at obtaining their permit. I am willing to help anyone who sends me a PM.

Thanks
SD

Stonewalker
12-19-2011, 4:41 PM
sushi, while it's great that you got your LTC, doing homework should not be pre-requisite to exercising a right, especially self-defense. Especially since the value of 'doing homework' is entirely up to the subjective eye of the issuing authority.

Shall-issue is the next step in civil rights, and no permit required beyond that. But that's a long long long way off and not at the forefront of importance.

Again, I'm happy that you got your LTC. Honestly a bit confused by the Yolo sheriff at this point... but happy for you none-the-less.

sushidot
12-19-2011, 4:49 PM
Stonewalker-

Thanks for replying! I appreciate what you are saying about the homework. I found doing research really informed me and has given me a confidence about having a LTC than I might have had if I lived in a shall issue county. Everyone is different, of course and has their own opinions. I feel that having this responsibility I will continue to learn and study the laws and liabilities, spend time and money on training and stay current.

wentbig
12-19-2011, 5:17 PM
"I will continue to learn and study the laws and liabilities, spend time and money on training and stay current."

It's great to hear from another Yolo LTC holder. I like how you take responsibility for your own education.
Even shall-issue states have a list of conditions that must be met.

mrmichael
12-21-2011, 9:45 AM
Yolo county is issuing about 300 permits a year. Just Cause criteria can be found on the Sheriff website. I am a everyday kind of guy and got my permit in 5 weeks.
anyone that followes all the steps and consults with a CCW holder on Just Cause, will be issued a permit. I will help anyone that is willing to do the footwork.

My sense is that the only "everyday kind of guy(s)" getting permits in Yolo are either business owners or documented victims of violence/threats. Those are the only valid reasons listed on the Sheriff website. Personal safety due to job conditions is not a valid reason if you are not the business owner.

That's really a sad state of affairs, and I hope it changes soon into "shall issue" for all non-prohibited persons.

From the Sheriff website:

Examples of valid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:
• Victims of violent crime and/or documented threats of violence.
• Business owners who carry large sums of cash or valuable items.
• Business owners who work all hours in remote areas and are likely to encounter dangerous people and situations.

Examples on invalid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:
• Recreation in remote areas.
• Hunting or fishing
• Self protection and protection of family (without credible threats of violence).
• Employment in the security field, i.e. security guard, body guard, VIP
protection.
• Personal safety due to job conditions or duties placed on the applicant by their
employer.

krazykracker
01-08-2012, 4:10 AM
Just curious to see if anything has changed for Yolo. Any updates? Is the Sheriff issuing yet?

wentbig
01-08-2012, 2:38 PM
As you will read, Yolo is issuing about 300 permits a year.
The beef we have with Yolo is, very narrow just cause accepted. Yolo likes business owners and people who carry or make large deposits in the bank.
A well crafted "just cause" is what works.

RyanWal26
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
The Constitution is my concealed carry permit. I know conceal carry is "against the law" but so is selling Marijuana and the state doesn't seam to mind to turn a blind eye against that. The civil rights movement would have been nothing if lawyers just filed lawsuits against the state. During Christmas dinner my grandmother said she didn't feel safe and wanted to get a gun to keep in her purse so she walked into the gun store and the guy working told her that was against the law and basically kicked her out. It is VERY dangerous when a civilian is more afraid of the state punishing them for breaking a law, rather than their personal safety.

Shellshocker66
01-31-2012, 1:03 PM
Per the California DoJ, Yolo is not issuing 300 permits per year. As of September it was 125 with 11 pending for the year of 2011. That is an increase of 43 from the previous year at the same time.

Go to http://calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/press/187-cgf-publishes-report-on-2011-statewide-carry-license-statistics.html and download the data obtained from DoJ. Page 4 has all the counties listed and the approved application numbers.

While it may be increasing it is no where near 300 a year which might give some hope for our small county. I wish anyone seeking a permit in Yolo good luck with the endeavor and hopefully someday we will be a shall issue county.

I'm happy to say I won't be here when that happens as I'm on the short timers express out of this state... Can't want for March!

wentbig
02-10-2012, 7:42 PM
Your right Shellshocker66. but we have had over a 50% increase in issuance.
Not the best but moving in the right direction.

IXIVI
02-08-2013, 5:17 PM
Yolo update here.

A recent amendment to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, now makes me a "qualified officer" and exempts me from state/county law that would otherwise prevent me from carrying a concealed weapon.

I applied with Yolo County Sheriff for CCW about 3 weeks ago, only listing my qualification and exempt status as just cause, and was denied.

I guess it was a little bit of wishful thinking, that if I'm authorized to carry regardless of the local Sheriff, why wouldn't he just take my money and issue me?

In the end, Yolo county still seems a bit silly, and definitely a little dismissive of just about everything that I discussed with them on the issue. Right down to the girls at the front counter.

Oh well. Good Luck with Yolo!

hoffmang
02-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Richards v. Prieto/Yolo County should have an opinion out in the next 90 days or so.

-Gene

IXIVI
02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Gene, my denial letter said I can re-apply no sooner that one year from denial. Is that legal?

Gray Peterson
02-10-2013, 1:36 PM
Gene, my denial letter said I can re-apply no sooner that one year from denial. Is that legal?

No, it's not, on separate state law grounds. However, Richards would blast a hole through that policy, and if they attempt to enforce that after a positive ruling on our side...well...I'd hate to be county counsel on that...

hoffmang
02-10-2013, 2:48 PM

You can ignore that utterly for both state (and once we win in Kachalsky/Richards) federal reasons.

-Gene

CitaDeL
02-10-2013, 3:23 PM

No, it's not, on separate state law grounds. However, Richards would blast a hole through that policy, and if they attempt to enforce that after a positive ruling on our side...well...I'd hate to be county counsel on that...

You can ignore that utterly for both state (and once we win in Kachalsky/Richards) federal reasons.

-Gene

Dont you just love it when issuing agencies memorialize illegal polices on their official letterhead?

hoffmang
02-10-2013, 6:54 PM
Dont you just love it when issuing agencies memorialize illegal polices on their official letterhead?

But they're heads of law enforcement and therefor all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others...

-Gene

Brewtality
02-28-2013, 8:18 PM
Richards v. Prieto/Yolo County should have an opinion out in the next 90 days or so.

-Gene

Please keep us informed. I am another Yoyo County resident wanting a CCW.

JPagaduan
03-29-2013, 6:25 PM
Ive just started to consider a ccw.

Thanks for the info. I'll be eager to find out the outcome as well.

IXIVI
04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Well, taking into consideration that only accepting one application per year isn't entirely legal, I submitted another application outlining my standing as a a qualified officer under LEOSA. I worded it as if I was applying again for the first time, and 2 months to day after submitting the app, I got it back in the mail with a new letter stating once again that I cant re-apply until 1 year from my denial. Still no actual reason for denial.

I'll be sending in a personal letter respectfully asking why, if I'm exempt from state law, and authorized under federal law, would the Sheriff not consider issuing me for instances where my agency prevents me from carrying off duty.

I'll update if I get another canned response....

IXIVI
04-06-2013, 1:04 PM
By the way, I cant find anything specifically listing a timeline, or how often/how many applications can be submitted. I browsed PC 26150, and didn't see anything about a Sheriff refusing applications.

I would like to at least be able to reference a PC if I question the refusal of my application.

CitaDeL
04-07-2013, 11:29 AM
By the way, I cant find anything specifically listing a timeline, or how often/how many applications can be submitted. I browsed PC 26150, and didn't see anything about a Sheriff refusing applications.

I would like to at least be able to reference a PC if I question the refusal of my application.

Its not PC but case law.

What you are looking for is Salute v Pitchess (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=16111191278700729423)

Which indicates;

(2) While a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion. (1b) We regard the case at bench as involving a refusal of the sheriff to exercise the discretion given him by the statute. Section 12050 imposes only three limits on the grant of an application to carry a concealed weapon: the applicant must be of good moral character, show good cause and be a resident of the county. To determine, in advance, as a uniform rule, that only selected public officials can show good cause is to refuse to consider the existence of good cause on the part of citizens generally and is an abuse of, and not an exercise of, discretion.
and

It is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application under section 12050.

So, in essense, every application submitted with 20% of the local fee is according to the court an obligation to the Sheriff to investigate and determine for the applicant whether good cause exists.

JPagaduan
04-09-2013, 7:20 PM
Does anyone know if they prefer the Yolo Sportsman CCw class or can you take the 16 hr classes in sac?

VAPORONE9
04-10-2013, 1:51 PM
Sheriff E. G. Prieto - the worst of all possibilities - A Liberal Politician with a gun, and he won't let you have yours. Nice. I've had dealings with him while on the Grand Jury - not good.

OldGeek
04-22-2013, 5:04 PM
I'm thinking about next election. Any other Yolo County gun owners also thinking about the next election?

cannonierd
05-05-2013, 4:30 PM
Any updates on this case. I live in West Sacramento, thinking about getting a ccw. Funny how I fall under Yolo County for this but anyway. Eager to know of any updates.

gucci pilot
06-16-2013, 8:31 PM

-Gene

Gene, we're more than 90 days. What's the word?

cannonierd
08-11-2013, 4:26 PM
I take it this is a dead issue now?

Blur125
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Bump! Love more insight on this...hope its not a dead issue, as I still want a CCW in Yolo

sean english
08-24-2013, 6:25 AM
I'm new to yolo county. How possible is it to apply and get one? I heard from a friend that in Sacramento u apply wait and get one.

Blur125
08-25-2013, 8:15 PM
I'm new to yolo county. How possible is it to apply and get one? I heard from a friend that in Sacramento u apply wait and get one.

Yolo is notorious for being extremely difficult to get your CCW in. Hence this thread, read from the beginning.

Sac County is a breeze next to yolo...

JPagaduan
09-20-2013, 9:40 AM
Is there a list of approved ccw classes for yolo? I called the sheriffs office and they said there was a list of vendors on there website, but couldn't find it.

daveinwoodland
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Personally I never bothered because of all the restrictions and "good causes" but would be curious if the mood has changed for the better. And on a side note, I did read some earlier posts about Yolo Sportsman and have to agree with most of them.

I haven't renewed my membership for a couple of years now due to mainly the uncontrolled aspect of shooting there. I wish I had the money to donate for a red/green light timer system for shooting and cease fires. I know myself and many others I've spoken to would be the first to renew if that would ever
happen.

Have had one too many issues there when I was a member on the line regarding safety and it only takes once so I am not a gambler when it comes to that. I would love to continue to support them but that for me is a big issue.

Blur125
09-20-2013, 3:59 PM
Personally I never bothered because of all the restrictions and "good causes" but would be curious if the mood has changed for the better. And on a side note, I did read some earlier posts about Yolo Sportsman and have to agree with most of them.

I haven't renewed my membership for a couple of years now due to mainly the uncontrolled aspect of shooting there. I wish I had the money to donate for a red/green light timer system for shooting and cease fires. I know myself and many others I've spoken to would be the first to renew if that would ever
happen.

Have had one too many issues there when I was a member on the line regarding safety and it only takes once so I am not a gambler when it comes to that. I would love to continue to support them but that for me is a big issue.

Ah that's too bad, Yolo Sportsman's is my favorite range. I do agree that I have had one too many muzzles pointed in my direction. My brother went there last weekend and said some yay-who parked, got out of his car with a rifle in hand (no case) and "swept" the range with a closed chamber. He got a talking to, but was still allowed to shoot. If it were my range, I'd have drawn on him. Then again, good thing I'm not a range officer haha

Kodeman
10-08-2013, 4:03 PM
Is there a list of approved ccw classes for yolo? I called the sheriffs office and they said there was a list of vendors on there website, but couldn't find it.

If you still need a list , PM me and ill send you a copy

craised
10-08-2013, 5:38 PM
Yuba College Community Education holds a eight-hour concealed weapons class at the Yolo Sportsman's Association. All students must have their own weapons and ammunition for the class. The fee is cheeeeep and it is well under 100.00
To register, call 741-6825. I have known the instructor for years and he is very good.

Kodeman
10-08-2013, 6:14 PM
Yolo requires 16 hours as of 2013 ..

craised
10-08-2013, 7:18 PM
Its about time. The more education the better. Simply owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Blur125
10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Yuba College Community Education holds a eight-hour concealed weapons class at the Yolo Sportsman's Association. All students must have their own weapons and ammunition for the class. The fee is cheeeeep and it is well under 100.00
To register, call 741-6825. I have known the instructor for years and he is very good.

Still doesn't help with the problems of Yolo residents receiving CCWs...but thanks for the info

JPagaduan
10-09-2013, 5:33 PM
If you still need a list , PM me and ill send you a copy

Thanks kodeman. I called the sheriffs office. They sent me the list if vendors. :hurray:

Yolo requires 16 hours as of 2013 ..

When I called they told me it was still 8 hrs. I'll verify again tomorrow.

Edit: verified 16 hrs

JPagaduan
10-09-2013, 5:37 PM

Yolo sportsman only has renewal classes. Yuba college ccw initial classes are held at the college with a trip to the sheriffs shooting range for qualification.

Next class is this October 19th. Last I saw, 16 spots left.

Kodeman
10-10-2013, 5:05 PM
Give Baptist security training a call , he is in Vacaville and will hold your training for whatever day you want him to . Very easy to deal with and cost is only $90 & he is on the new yolo list ... I went to him not that long ago for my permit .

Kodeman
10-10-2013, 5:12 PM
JPagaduan - Fell free to Pm me with any questions . I just finished the process successfully with Yolo county .

Blur125
10-14-2013, 10:50 AM
JPagaduan - Fell free to Pm me with any questions . I just finished the process successfully with Yolo county .

You got your CCW in Yolo? Do tell....

Kodeman
10-15-2013, 6:12 PM
You got your CCW in Yolo? Do tell.... Yes I did , a few weeks ago. Took about 3-4 months total from initial app till I received my permit. My GC is that im a general contractor . No issues at all , very smooth all in all. Had a slight issue with the CCW instructor I went to , they changed their approved list during my app process and I had to go take another class from a instructor on the new list.

Kodeman
11-01-2013, 3:20 PM
Question for the group: Am applying for Yolo CCW, as a resident of Woodland. In my application packet, the requirement to show "proof" of ownership of weapons that I qualified with and that I will ask to have placed on my permit, the DOJ Firearms letter shows MORE than the three I wish to have on the permit. Should I redact the other weapons and only allow the three to have placed on the permit be shown? If so, will the issuing authority feel I am being deceitful? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

I wouldn't worry about showing all the handguns that are on there .. Shouldn't make any difference , just proving that the ones you are listing on your permit are registered to you. Kodi

dca965
11-04-2013, 1:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about showing all the handguns that are on there .. Shouldn't make any difference , just proving that the ones you are listing on your permit are registered to you. Kodi

Thanks so much Kodi!

JPagaduan
01-16-2014, 2:44 PM
Well....I just recieved my denial letter.

Apparently, owning a business in Stockton, ca is one of the safest things in the world. :rolleyes:

I'm giving our family lawyer the letter in case anything happens to me.

Rob85
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
I may have to move to yolo county for work reasons and will need to transfer my current LTC to Yolo county from Sutter county. does anyone have any incite on this?

Rob85
01-23-2014, 1:49 PM
Anyone?

IXIVI
01-27-2014, 7:09 PM
I may have to move to yolo county for work reasons and will need to transfer my current LTC to Yolo county from Sutter county. does anyone have any incite on this?

I'd say don't move to Yolo. Your LTC wont transfer, and trust me when I tell you, the willy nilly auto denial system is rolling full boar here in Prieto land.

Where at in Yolo will you need to work? Just the other side of the river in Sac County, and you get approval. North Natomas is 5 minutes from the Airport and 15 minutes from Woodland...

dca965
02-13-2014, 1:36 PM
Well....I just recieved my denial letter.

Apparently, owning a business in Stockton, ca is one of the safest things in the world. :rolleyes:

I'm giving our family lawyer the letter in case anything happens to me.

And I received mine two days before you received yours. The reason given: "Insufficient Good Cause...."

I wonder if Thursday's decision by the 9th Circuit will make any new headway?

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/02/13/6155677/court-tosses-californias-concealed.html

JPagaduan
02-13-2014, 1:53 PM
Woohoo!!

Time to appeal!

And I received mine two days before you received yours. The reason given: "Insufficient Good Cause...."

I wonder if Thursday's decision by the 9th Circuit will make any new headway?

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/02/13/6155677/court-tosses-californias-concealed.html

I'm going in on Monday to find out. I'll let you know

dca965
02-13-2014, 2:05 PM
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm willing to bet that Yolo won't entertain any appeal from any recent denial as this ruling will undoubtedly be appealed and perhaps even see the US Supreme Court and may take a long time to have any real impact....

Not only that, but my letter says I cannot re-apply for 1-year......

JPagaduan
02-13-2014, 2:22 PM
As does mine. But couldn't hurt. :)

mkasda
03-03-2014, 7:01 PM
Well, went to drop off my completed CCW application today.
They refused to accept it without 3 letters of reference and proof of residency.

Paladin
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
I can't believe no one's posted in this thread that today we WON Richards v. Pietro-Yolo.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=902624

:party:

Blur125
03-06-2014, 6:28 AM
Good news here:

http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_99761/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=xUj8OfJn

dca965
03-06-2014, 8:38 AM
Paladin-

I could not agree MORE!! THIS IS HUGE for CCW Applicants who have been denied because of insufficient "good cause" in Yolo (and hopefully will set precedent in the rest of CA). I only wish I had waited until now to apply, but then again, who knew?

fizux
03-07-2014, 8:01 AM
Paladin-

I could not agree MORE!! THIS IS HUGE for CCW Applicants who have been denied because of insufficient "good cause" in Yolo (and hopefully will set precedent in the rest of CA). I only wish I had waited until now to apply, but then again, who knew?
Uhh, I think you can pretty much ignore that 1-yr restriction, given the Richards case. You might want to follow up after the mandate is issued, and the District Court enters judgment.

dca965
03-07-2014, 3:00 PM
Uhh, I think you can pretty much ignore that 1-yr restriction, given the Richards case. You might want to follow up after the mandate is issued, and the District Court enters judgment.

fizux- With all due respect, and unless there was specific language in Richards v. Prieto, I am willing to bet the 1yr restriction on re-applying will stand, save for a complete overhaul of the process by Prieto. But I appreciate your faith and will hope to see a change in my county!

hoffmang
03-07-2014, 7:38 PM
fizux- With all due respect, and unless there was specific language in Richards v. Prieto, I am willing to bet the 1yr restriction on re-applying will stand, save for a complete overhaul of the process by Prieto. But I appreciate your faith and will hope to see a change in my county!

The "1 year restriction" is illegal under state law - even before it becomes a constitutional question.

Once the dust settles on Richards and Peruta just apply and ignore county employees who make stuff up. If you have a problem, we have a place for you to report it so we can track it: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry/

-Gene

gucci pilot
03-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Time to apply?

dca965
03-10-2014, 9:01 AM
The "1 year restriction" is illegal under state law - even before it becomes a constitutional question.

Once the dust settles on Richards and Peruta just apply and ignore county employees who make stuff up. If you have a problem, we have a place for you to report it so we can track it: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry/

-Gene

Thanks Gene! I will follow your guidance and keep you posted/report on the process.

Dave

Loopwell
03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Tag for updates. Yolo has much stricter requirements for permits. I am interested to find out if residents are going to have any luck in the very near future. Since the county has no typical process, and I imagine they don't have employees that handles CCWs besides deniers, how will they go about taking on an influx of new applicants?

mkasda
03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Applied today. Told application would be processed in about four to six weeks.

epcii
03-11-2014, 7:25 AM
Applied today. Told application would be processed in about four to six weeks.

Please keep us updated on your timeline!

dca965
03-11-2014, 5:09 PM
Tag for updates. Yolo has much stricter requirements for permits. I am interested to find out if residents are going to have any luck in the very near future. Since the county has no typical process, and I imagine they don't have employees that handles CCWs besides deniers, how will they go about taking on an influx of new applicants?

Loopwell-

Its not that Yolo has much more strict requirements overall per-se, the requirements are somewhat "standard" as most N. Cal. counties go. That being said, they do have as standard a process as one can expect. The biggest problem is the elected one who is in power at the issuing agency. He had a previous career with the State, rising to the level of Commander. He has the appropriate amount of staff and the process does take 90 to 120 days from application to issuance. He just takes the GC requirement to an extreme as has been done in S.D./O.C./L.A., etc. I hope and pray that cases such as Peruta and Richards stand and change it for the better.

dca965
03-12-2014, 2:36 PM
***UPDATE***

YSCO added a new form to their website very recently. Of note is the last section, stating that the CCW Training Course Certification it is not mandatory at this time but could "expedite" the application process.......

For what its worth, here is te link: http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CCW-Application-Cover-Sheet.pdf

gucci pilot
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I just checked the Yolo sheriff page and noticed that the link to the "Concealed Weapon License Policy" doesn't work. I wonder if they're updating the policy. Hmm....

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/forms-fees/

dca965
03-13-2014, 2:35 PM
I just checked the Yolo sheriff page and noticed that the link to the "Concealed Weapon License Policy" doesn't work. I wonder if they're updating the policy. Hmm....

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/forms-fees/

Could be. However, when I called this morning, was told that nothing in their CCW was going to change until the appeals had been settled. In addition, and after being denied in DEC 13, I was again told that I would have to wait 1yr to reapply.

ALSO - here is an update from the Yolo website posted today:

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Concealed-Weapons-Update.pdf

PRESS RELEASE
Contact Person: Sheriff E.G. Prieto
Date: March 13, 2014
Subject: Update on Concealed Weapons Decision
The Ninth Circuit decision in Richards regarding this office’s concealed weapon carry permit policy is not yet final, nor is the Peruta decision on which it is based.
Also, no court has enjoined Yolo from applying its current policy. At the request of the State Attorney General, the Ninth Circuit has extended indefinitely the finality deadline in Peruta to consider whether the State Of California and other interested parties may challenge that decision in the absence of the Sheriff for San Diego County.
We will be seeking en banc review of the decision in the Yolo County case and that decision will not become final until that process is completed. We have been in contact with the Attorney General’s office in this regard and will work with it regarding the two decisions as circumstances warrant. Unless and until these decisions become final, our current concealed carry policy will remain in effect.

"Sticking to his guns....."

gucci pilot
03-13-2014, 3:01 PM
Well, crap on a shingle. When's this guy up for re-election?

Gray Peterson
03-13-2014, 3:36 PM
Could be. However, when I called this morning, was told that nothing in their CCW was going to change until the appeals had been settled. In addition, and after being denied in DEC 13, I was again told that I would have to wait 1yr to reapply.

ALSO - here is an update from the Yolo website posted today:

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Concealed-Weapons-Update.pdf

PRESS RELEASE
Contact Person: Sheriff E.G. Prieto
Date: March 13, 2014
Subject: Update on Concealed Weapons Decision
The Ninth Circuit decision in Richards regarding this office’s concealed weapon carry permit policy is not yet final, nor is the Peruta decision on which it is based.
Also, no court has enjoined Yolo from applying its current policy. At the request of the State Attorney General, the Ninth Circuit has extended indefinitely the finality deadline in Peruta to consider whether the State Of California and other interested parties may challenge that decision in the absence of the Sheriff for San Diego County.
We will be seeking en banc review of the decision in the Yolo County case and that decision will not become final until that process is completed. We have been in contact with the Attorney General’s office in this regard and will work with it regarding the two decisions as circumstances warrant. Unless and until these decisions become final, our current concealed carry policy will remain in effect.

"Sticking to his guns....."

Did you get a name of the receptionist?

dca965
03-13-2014, 3:48 PM
Did you get a name of the receptionist?

Angie

gucci pilot
03-13-2014, 8:53 PM
Angie

She said that Gene was "dreamie". Ah yeah!

hoffmang
03-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Heh. I'm not surprised Yolo is asking for en banc. There are reasons we chose to pick on them. Amusing that Richards may go up while Peruta is mired in AG intervention. However, my crazy gut instinct is that there has already been a vote re en banc and it has failed.

-Gene

dca965
03-14-2014, 8:16 AM
Heh. I'm not surprised Yolo is asking for en banc. There are reasons we chose to pick on them. Amusing that Richards may go up while Peruta is mired in AG intervention. However, my crazy gut instinct is that there has already been a vote re en banc and it has failed.

-Gene

Gene- I ABSOLUTELY love the way you think!! Let's all pray that en banc fails!!

VAPORONE9
03-17-2014, 3:36 PM
^
What he said:beatdeadhorse5:

land locked
03-19-2014, 6:09 PM
http://http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breakingnews/ci_25342529/despite-court-ruling-yolo-county-concealed-weapons-law?IADID=Search-www.dailydemocrat.com-www.dailydemocrat.com (http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breakingnews/ci_25342529/despite-court-ruling-yolo-county-concealed-weapons-law?IADID=Search-www.dailydemocrat.com-www.dailydemocrat.com)

dca965
03-19-2014, 8:21 PM
http://http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breakingnews/ci_25342529/despite-court-ruling-yolo-county-concealed-weapons-law?IADID=Search-www.dailydemocrat.com-www.dailydemocrat.com (http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breakingnews/ci_25342529/despite-court-ruling-yolo-county-concealed-weapons-law?IADID=Search-www.dailydemocrat.com-www.dailydemocrat.com)

Pretty much what his press release said on the 13th. He is biased against law abiding citizens who want a permit to carry concealed legally, and for local business owners who he counts as contributors. His argument about criminals not yet convicted is a load of crap! During the 8 1/2 year period that I had a permit in this county (pre-prieto) not one permit holder was ever accused of or charged with any crime.

dca965
03-25-2014, 7:25 PM
Well, crap on a shingle. When's this guy up for re-election?

Here's the sad answer to that:

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Sheriff-Celebrates-45-Years-in-Law-Enforcement1.pdf

Blur125
03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Here's the sad answer to that:

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Sheriff-Celebrates-45-Years-in-Law-Enforcement1.pdf

Man...what a bummer. I thought he was in a bit of legal trouble a while back..wonder where that went:

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/deputy-accuses-yolo-county-sheriff-of-sex-harassment/20938468

dca965
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Man...what a bummer. I thought he was in a bit of legal trouble a while back..wonder where that went

From what I understand at present: depositions are being taken from the victims (employees) of multiple sexual harassment cases filed against him......

Ostrey
04-02-2014, 9:17 PM
Any updates for Yolo county? It appears the Sheriff is running for re-election uncontested. I am ex law enforcement any idea what it takes to run for Sheriff? Maybe I'll give him a run for his money and Yolo will be a will issue county....

land locked
04-03-2014, 4:27 AM
You are a little late. You needed to file by March.

dca965
04-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Any updates for Yolo county? It appears the Sheriff is running for re-election uncontested. I am ex law enforcement any idea what it takes to run for Sheriff? Maybe I'll give him a run for his money and Yolo will be a will issue county....

I think that would be a great issue to run on, like Scott Jones did in Sacto..... But as the deadline has passed, we have to pray he gets nailed for corruption or one of the harassment cases costs the County so much that the Boardof Sups "encourages" him to resign!

bchiefsa
04-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I currently have a CCW from Sac Co and just bought a house in Woodland. What are my chances of obtaining a new CCW in Yolo Co?

land locked
04-08-2014, 5:55 AM
Not very good.

dca965
04-08-2014, 4:58 PM
I currently have a CCW from Sac Co and just bought a house in Woodland. What are my chances of obtaining a new CCW in Yolo Co?

Unless you are LEO, or own a business in Woodland, I would say slim to none. Also, Sac. County may require you to surrender their permit unless your primary residence is in Sac. County.

Blur125
04-14-2014, 2:56 PM

Not good, so don't apply until after this is settled or you'll have to wait a year to re-apply:

http://bit.ly/1t2bxgA

RobG
04-15-2014, 2:32 PM

Until the case is settled, probably not good. If you used "self defense/personal defense" as GC in Sac, that will get you no where in Yolo. The app specifically states that SD/PD is not good cause to obtain a CCW.

fizux
04-21-2014, 7:28 AM
Not good, so don't apply until after this is settled or you'll have to wait a year to re-apply:
http://bit.ly/1t2bxgA
The one-year rule is a local policy that would most likely go down along with their GC requirements if Richards is upheld.

Blur125
04-22-2014, 10:07 AM
The one-year rule is a local policy that would most likely go down along with their GC requirements if Richards is upheld.

That would be nice. For the question at hand, it still applies so I would advise not applying until the case is settled.

Blur125
06-10-2014, 3:41 PM
This bodes well for Yolo County residents seeking CCW...

http://www.modbee.com/2014/06/10/3383733/yolo-grand-jury-sheriff-runs-office.html

dca965
06-10-2014, 3:46 PM
GOOD NEWS INDEED! Sadly, however, it leaves out the 3 pending sexual harassment lawsuits filed by YCSO employees......

dca965
06-10-2014, 8:53 PM
Here is a bit more thorough story:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/10/6473332/yolo-grand-jury-sheriff-runs-office.html

dca965
06-11-2014, 7:50 AM
And here is the Grand Jury report:

http://www.yolocounty.org/home/showdocument?id=26095

FINDINGS Excerpt:

FINDINGS
F1. Favoritism, nepotism and preferential treatment of employees have adversely affected employee morale of the Sheriff’s Department. These practices by the Sheriff involve hiring, promotion, assignments and discipline.
F2. The Sheriff uses or creates provisional or extra help positions to employ personal friends and relatives.
F3. The Sheriff has engaged in hiring immediate family, authorizing their assignments, determining their promotions and salary, and using final authority to determine disciplinary actions.
F4. The HR Department conducted three ineffective investigations related to allegations of harassment and poor morale at the Sheriff’s Department.
F5. The Sheriff’s Department, a military-like structure, with a clear and rigid chain of command operates with minimal external administrative resources, particularly the County HR Department and labor organizations.
F6. The Sheriff’s micromanagement reduces Department supervisors’ and managers’ authority to lead and evaluate staff.
F7. The Sheriff’s Department operates with unwritten work standards for deputies who are evaluated by these standards on a monthly and annual basis. These standards are inconsistently applied by supervising staff.
F8. The Sheriff failed to observe County Code Section 2-6.44 Nepotism Policy by hiring immediate family members and determining their salaries, promotions, assignments, performance evaluations and discipline.
F9. The Sheriff was unaware of the contents and intent of the State of California Public Service Ethics AB 1234.
F10. The Grand Jury was unable to determine the County’s compliance with the State of California Public Service Ethics AB 1234 mandated training for 2006-2011 for the Sheriff.
F11. HR manages harassment and ethics online training courses for all employees to comply with state and federal laws. These outdated and repetitious trainings are found to be inadequate and ineffective.
F12. The HR Department serves in an advisory role and lacks appropriate oversight and accountability of personnel matters at the Sheriff’s Department.

Even with these findings, the Yolo BOS stopped short of calling for Prieto to resign......spineless buffoons......

Blur125
06-12-2014, 8:22 AM
It baffles me he went unopposed in the last election...wonder why?

dca965
06-12-2014, 8:30 AM
It baffles me he went unopposed in the last election...wonder why?

Well, those inside the S.O. who might have aspirations of running against him, did not do so, and this report spells out why.......

As for outside the agency, the voters who care did not have enough votes to support a write-in candidate.

Perhaps no-one in the LEO community (outside of the S.O.) is interested in running the Department? Many former Sheriffs came up through the ranks historically and most were excellent leaders!

He has run that office like a Dictator for the past 16+ years.

If he had any modicum of self-respect, he would resign for the good (and the health) of the Department.

RobG
06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
A corrupt CLEO? Say it aint so...

This bodes well for Yolo County residents seeking CCW...

How so? All the grand jury basically said was he is a douchebag and he needs to change his douchebagery.

It is all meaningless and he will be re-elected by the dipsh&t residents of this fine county once again.

Blur125
06-12-2014, 4:00 PM
A corrupt CLEO? Say it aint so...

How so? All the grand jury basically said was he is a douchebag and he needs to change his douchebagery.

It is all meaningless and he will be re-elected by the dipsh&t residents of this fine county once again.

Well...he could be receiving praise? Better to have him in a negative spotlight than a positive one..

Kodeman
07-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Anyone hear if Prieto changed his issuing standards? Is there still an appeal in process?

dca965
07-13-2014, 7:41 AM
Anyone hear if Prieto changed his issuing standards? Is there still an appeal in process?

AFAIK- he has changed nothing and there has never been an appeal process.

RobG
07-13-2014, 8:20 AM

No changes until the AG intervention/en banc situation is sorted out. Even then I suspect he will put up as many roadblocks as possible.

Yolo may not be as bad as SF, Alameda, LA, etc. but, it is not too far behind.

Blur125
07-14-2014, 8:36 AM
Is there a separate thread out there to follow in regards to the San Diego court ruling? That was back in March and I haven't read anything since... Last I read, Yolo is waiting for that to get figured out...

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/18/290252895/calif-fight-over-concealed-weapons-could-head-to-high-court

Calibrassburner
08-12-2014, 8:28 AM
Are there any updates on Yolo County? I want to apply but there are certain aspects of the application that states "personal protection" does not warranty an applicable reason to apply.

Secondly, I have been arrested for the suspicion of marijuana 12 years ago and was slapped with a wet wreckless when all said and done... does that nullify me from being considered in any county?

dca965
08-19-2014, 2:08 PM
Are there any updates on Yolo County? I want to apply but there are certain aspects of the application that states "personal protection" does not warranty an applicable reason to apply.

Secondly, I have been arrested for the suspicion of marijuana 12 years ago and was slapped with a wet wreckless when all said and done... does that nullify me from being considered in any county?

Nothing has changed in the Sheriff's policy. "Personal (Self) Protection" is specifically listed as not sufficient under the acceptable "Good Cause" in the current policy "without credible threats of violence."

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CCW-Policy-10-12.pdf

I doubt that past indiscretion would cause you any problems, IMHO.

Ostrey
10-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Any up dates?

Librarian
10-02-2014, 11:09 PM
No.

Richards v Prieto (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Richards_v._Prieto) (Sheriff of Yolo) is not yet settled. If ever it gets settled, the news will be in the 2A Litigation forum first.

JPagaduan
11-12-2014, 5:30 PM
Anyone else not holding your breath in yolo?

bassmaster916
11-13-2014, 2:25 PM
I'd be shocked if Prieto doesn't try to delay the ruling. I've been waiting 2+ years to turn in my application. I think if he's forced to issue, his office will go the route of delaying everyone's application until another lawsuit is filed...

dca965
11-13-2014, 5:55 PM
I'd be shocked if Prieto doesn't try to delay the ruling. I've been waiting 2+ years to turn in my application. I think if he's forced to issue, his office will go the route of delaying everyone's application until another lawsuit is filed...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=15256154#post15256154

From KFBK Sacramento today- (Exerpt) McGinness*says the latest ruling -- based on a case in San Diego that would also affect Yolo County -- means the issuance of guns must be based on a presumption of liberty.

But Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto says, with another appeal still in process, he's taking a wait-and-see approach before taking action.

The Yolo Sheriff went on to say that his policy wont change unless and until a court tells him that his policy "somehow" is in violation of the 2nd Amendment.

Read more: http://www.kfbk.com/articles/kfbk-ne...#ixzz3J0V5CMHt

racer 88
12-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Can someone point me in the direction of where to sign up for a class in yolo county.

RobG
12-22-2014, 12:14 AM
The Yolo county SO website has a list of approved classes/instructors.

Ostrey
02-10-2015, 7:15 PM
Any changes in Yolo?

wentbig
02-10-2015, 7:27 PM
No real change.. Some people are getting approved.
Your GC must be carrying large deposits. Most of the approvals go to business owners.

Paladin
02-10-2015, 8:51 PM
Any changes in Yolo?
Probably not until Peruta at least moves forward and you can easily monitor that by checking for updates in:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=893452

Blur125
04-13-2015, 9:14 AM
What's the word people?

I have a hard time sifting through all the Peruta vs. County of San Diego thread chatter.

Tr1ton
04-13-2015, 4:29 PM
9th circuit will hear Prieto/Peruta en banc in June. Prieto policy same as usual.

wentbig
04-13-2015, 7:20 PM
If you live in Yolo County and own some sort of business and carry cash you will get a CCW. I have helped 3 people with the good cause and 2 have CCWs from yolo. One person is in process.

Blur125
04-14-2015, 1:34 PM
If you live in Yolo County and own some sort of business and carry cash you will get a CCW. I have helped 3 people with the good cause and 2 have CCWs from yolo. One person is in process.

I don't fall into that category, but thanks for what you do.

wentbig
04-25-2015, 8:05 PM
Just renewed for the third time in Yolo County.
Yolo SO has a very good web site with full instructions to follow.
The application is posted as a pdf so you can type in and print.
Called made appointment for renewal, they do Wednesdays in by 10am
met with a great detective, talked guns for 20 minutes and picked up my laminated permit on the way out.
Every person that I have worked with, that was willing to do the reading, training and follow direction has obtained a permit from Yolo County.
I know most think it should not be that hard. You are right but if you are willing to work inside the system it is possible.

wentbig
07-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Something has changed at the Yolo Sheriff Office.
The SO has stopped processing applications for CCW. When pressured they will issue a denial without explanation.
I know for a fact this is a arbitrary act based on spite.
I have copies of applications and Good Cause statements to back up my statement. This is a very sad time in Yolo Sheriff history.

Blur125
07-01-2015, 3:00 PM
The SO has stopped processing applications for CCW. When pressured they will issue a denial without explanation.
I have copies of applications and Good Cause statements to back up my statement. This is a very sad time in Yolo Sheriff history.

No one here is surprised.

wentbig
07-01-2015, 6:47 PM

This is a policy change. Yolo has been issuing permits all along within their narrow criteria. Something has changed and I don't know why. ??
I am sure the SO reads this forum. Why Sheriff ?

land locked
07-01-2015, 7:36 PM
This is a policy change. Yolo has been issuing permits all along within their narrow criteria. Something has changed and I don't know why. ??
I am sure the SO reads this forum. Why Sheriff ?
Why are you still surprised? There is a pending court decision. Maybe the Sheriff's Office is expecting a favorable outcome and has decided to stop issuing until it comes out. Why waste the time if you don't have too?

RobG
07-01-2015, 8:22 PM
Why are you still surprised? There is a pending court decision. Maybe the Sheriff's Office is expecting a favorable outcome and has decided to stop issuing until it comes out. Why waste the time if you don't have too?

Very likely. Think of the man hours he can redistribute to other areas. Expect it from other depts too as soon as Peruta is revoked/denied.

Paladin
07-02-2015, 8:04 AM
You don't really expect "the chief law enforcement officer of the county" to actually obey the law himself, do you? :eek: (Ah, to be young & naive again.... :oji:)

Nope. Our major urban CLEOs are as corrupt as 3rd world CLEOs -- and they're PROUD of it, in private using the flag to wipe their ---es.

It's all good because he's just setting himself up to get schooled on Salute v. Pitchess. :43:

Blur125
07-29-2015, 2:45 PM
So...2 weeks?

Scottie15
08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
I was randomly looking at the City of Woodland's Police "Order Manua (http://www.cityofwoodland.org/gov/depts/police/secure/order%20manual.pdf)l" and came across some propaganda... See page 52, Section 1.05.02:

PROCEDURE
A. ADMINISTRATIVE POLICY
1. By operation of California Law, Penal Code Section 12050, the Chief of Police or Sheriff of the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction has the discretion to issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a resident of the area of jurisdiction provided that person is of good moral character and that good cause exists for the issuance of the license. The Woodland Police Department has adopted this policy for the City of Woodland.

2. Experience has revealed that concealed firearms carried for protection provide a false sense of security and the permittee is often a victim of his/her own weapon or the subject of civil or criminal litigation stemming from an improper use of the weapon.

3. It is the judgment of the Woodland Police Department that the utilization of standard personal/commercial security practices will result in a safer environment than that which comes from carrying a firearm. This judgment is in accordance with the view of the California Peace Officer’s Association, “...that all permits to carry concealed weapons by private individuals in the State of California be revoked and that the legislation authorizing issuance of such permits be repealed.”

4. For these reasons and considering the danger to society resulting from the possession and use of concealed firearms, it is the policy of the Department that “good cause” for the issuance of any concealed weapons permit would exist only in the most extreme and aggravated circumstances.

Not to mention the 1 year residency and $1,000,000 insurance requirements...

land locked
08-07-2015, 2:40 PM
Woodland is slowly becoming Davis.

05firemedic
10-21-2015, 4:59 PM
So is applying for a CCW in Yolo County a waste of time?? Are they making it easier or harder? Please some insight. :)

SkyHawk
10-21-2015, 5:26 PM
My brother in law lives in Woodland and has CCW issued by the county. He got it in his late 20's, had it for more than 10 years now. He owns a (very) small business. I know this is the exception nowadays though...

05firemedic
10-21-2015, 5:31 PM
I've just heard its near to impossible. Im a 42yo, Fireman and clean record. I hope I can get one.

Paladin
10-21-2015, 8:38 PM
So is applying for a CCW in Yolo County a waste of time?? Are they making it easier or harder? Please some insight. :)

IIRC, a poster in the last few pages of this thread said that Yolo Co SO stopped issuing CCWs (which would be against the law, but, heck, that never stopped anti sheriffs before....). ETA: see my post #201 above.

In case you do not know it, Yolo Co SO is the defendant in the Peruta case that is being decided by an 11-judge en banc panel of the 9th Circuit as we speak and they've said in the past if they lose that decision, they'll appeal to SCOTUS.

So, long story short, no, Pietro or whatever his name is, doesn't give a rat's --- about our 2nd A RKBA and our lives, and probably uses US flag as toilet paper.... :mad:

Blur125
10-23-2015, 1:58 PM

In my opinion it's going to take over a year for them to sort out the Peruta case...

So that being said, if you apply and are denied, then you can just re-apply in a year, because they still will have not removed their heads from there asses

Blur125
10-23-2015, 1:59 PM
My brother in law lives in Woodland and has CCW issued by the county. He got it in his late 20's, had it for more than 10 years now. He owns a (very) small business. I know this is the exception nowadays though...

Precisely. He probably carries cash or operates in remote areas I'm assuming...so he's a minority CCW permit holder in Yolo

tygerpaw
12-06-2015, 3:07 PM
Ironic - about ten years ago, Yolo was one of the ONLY counties you I COULD get a CCW. Solano was impossible until about 5 years ago, now Solano issues them almost as shall issue- for the time being.

Bullets&Whitewalls
12-06-2015, 8:02 PM

I wonder just wonder since this is such a small town still if I know who you are talking about. I have high school friend here in town and has his under the same circumstances.

Kodeman
12-21-2015, 8:11 PM
I've had mine in Yolo for going on 3 years now . I've heard a lot of people get turned down in recent years . Hopefully the pending court ruling goes into effect soon .

Blur125
12-21-2015, 8:15 PM
I've had mine in Yolo for going on 3 years now . I've heard a lot of people get turned down in recent years . Hopefully the pending court ruling goes into effect soon .
3 years ago wasn't that far back... You still needed a solid justification back then...

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk

jconte5
01-03-2016, 4:52 AM
I live in Yolo County but work for a neighboring Sheriff's Office as a Correctional Officer. Does this give me any better chances of getting my CCW? Should I just hold off until we hear something about the court case?

Paladin
01-03-2016, 5:44 AM
I live in Yolo County but work for a neighboring Sheriff's Office as a Correctional Officer. Does this give me any better chances of getting my CCW? Should I just hold off until we hear something about the court case?I don't think dropping by the Yolo SO and asking would hurt. If they seem optimistic, it would allow you to apply before the FLOOD of applicants if we win. If we do not win, you would have wasted time waiting for a win. IOW, either way Peruta goes, IMO it is best to apply, or at least inquire, now. :oji:

05firemedic
01-09-2016, 5:56 PM
Has anyone been issued their CCW lately from Yolo? Can you submit on-line or go in person?

Kodeman
02-14-2016, 9:42 PM
You have to go in person . If you go to their web site under CCW stuff you will see what they want . Pretty painless just took a few trips in for different appointments . took about 2-3 months total if I remember correctly . I wouldn't spend the $ for the CCW class first if they deny it then your not out the money for the class . You can submit the app then they will tell you you need to submit the class paperwork at a certain date . You have to go to a approved CCW instructor that's on Yolo SF list .

Do you work for woodland fire?

Kodeman
02-14-2016, 9:46 PM
Here is what Yolo wants

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CCW-Application-Cover-Sheet.pdf

jconte5
02-16-2016, 5:08 AM
Kodeman

Do you have you CCW for yolo? Did you have any trouble with your good cause statement?