PDA

View Full Version : Ventura - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
UPDATE (2014 April 12): The sheriff now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause.

According to the VCSO "CCW Policy" (.pdf linked at: http://www.vcsd.org/ccw-permits.php), under "2. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS":

g. For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self-defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego.

vintagearms
10-19-2010, 10:42 PM
tagged

sixdays
10-20-2010, 5:16 PM
I'm just about five months into the application process in Ventura County. Filed in early June. At this point I still haven't heard anything back from VCSO. Any thoughts on how the lawsuit may effect applications that are in process? Hopefully it won't...it shouldn't. But with my luck.

the_quark
10-20-2010, 5:34 PM
I'm just about five months into the application process in Ventura County. Filed in early June. At this point I still haven't heard anything back from VCSO. Any thoughts on how the lawsuit may effect applications that are in process? Hopefully it won't...it shouldn't. But with my luck.

I replied over in the other thread - I think they have 90 days to respond, so if they haven't, that's a problem in and of itself.

But, no, it shouldn't affect anything.

VictorFranko
10-20-2010, 5:35 PM
I filed Nov 2, 2009.

Waiting.............

VictorFranko
10-20-2010, 5:36 PM
I replied over in the other thread - I think they have 90 days to respond, so if they haven't, that's a problem in and of itself.

But, no, it shouldn't affect anything.

Not so, a buddy, after hearing nothing, got called after waiting 7 months.

Yar
10-20-2010, 7:24 PM
I filed in october 2009. I was told it would take the better part of a year. I had my interview in August. At the interview I was told it would be another 2 months before I got my letter (approved or denied). Pretty much to the day I got my letter (approved) and went in for my finger prints, and live scan. Pretty much at this point I just need to do my shoot and wait the 4 weeks for the FBI to run the final background check. As long as they do not find anything to deny me I should be good to go.

From what I heard the one thing you should not do is to call and see what your status is. A buddy warned me of this and said just expect it to take the better part of a year to hear something. So far everything has worked out to the time table I was told to expect.

Never Convicted
10-21-2010, 6:08 AM
made the paper :

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/oct/20/gun-group-sues-ventura-county-sheriff-to-obtain/

interesting coments

Ill be applying soon. I could use the help on the app. Feel free to contact me.

Good job Cal Guns !

bsim
10-21-2010, 8:55 PM
In the application, it states that Community College clas AJ89B will fulfill the training requirement. I can't find anything about thing via google. Any ideas?

Also, there are a couple entries in teh trainers section for the Agoura range. Isn't that closed?

wildhawker
10-21-2010, 9:15 PM
I highly recommend that everyone remains patient for just a while longer. We will address the process issues, but first we need to understand Ventura's acceptable good cause and good moral character.

dantodd
10-22-2010, 4:47 AM
Not so, a buddy, after hearing nothing, got called after waiting 7 months.

They are statutorily required to send out your approval/denial letter in 90 days. If, in fact, they don't they are breaking the law. Gray is working in getting all counties in compliance with state law. Understandably CGF will concentrate on making sure they are following the PRA laws first and will then go after them to get them into compliance with state issuing laws after that.

racer_X_123
10-23-2010, 2:06 PM
I replied in the volunteer thread and sent out an email but I think I might be a little late. I applied back in April and still have not heard anything back yet, hopefully my good cause will not get denied and as then I will be screwed.

Rescue313
10-27-2010, 4:58 PM
I was a volunteer with the Sheriff's Department for 14 years. We were issued CCW's for protection. After quiting my CCW was taken away. I reapplied and denied. Why do they think I only need protection if I volunteer my time and money. Some thank you huh?

http://vcsar.org/newspaper.htm

HumanBeingExpert
10-27-2010, 5:54 PM
^ That just shows how there current system is so arbitrary.

VictorFranko
10-27-2010, 5:56 PM
They are statutorily required to send out your approval/denial letter in 90 days. If, in fact, they don't they are breaking the law. Gray is working in getting all counties in compliance with state law. Understandably CGF will concentrate on making sure they are following the PRA laws first and will then go after them to get them into compliance with state issuing laws after that.

Hmmmm, I guess they are just about 285 days late with mine..................

uyoga
10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Just sent my donation to sponsor this county.
Got to keep the torch lit!

badreligion
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I got my call for interview on Friday. Interview on Wednesday, applied in January. I plan on bringing some changes to my application with me and other supporting docs.

If anyone has any suggestions please pass them on. Will update.

Sawdust
11-02-2010, 6:12 AM
Dress well (i.e., business casual).

Review your application and all of your answers, and be fully prepared to discuss what you wrote.

Do not ramble - only answer what you are asked. Be friendly and amiable - but concise.

Do not, under any circumstances, get riled or impatient. You want to project yourself as a calm cool-headed rational citizen. Checking your demeanor is one of, if not the, reason for the face-to-face interview.

Sawdust

quig
11-02-2010, 3:54 PM
I also applied in June '10. I called the other day to update some personal info . . . I am 150 away from being reviewed! Maybe next summer!:(

wildhawker
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I also applied in June '10. I called the other day to update some personal info . . . I am 150 away from being reviewed! Maybe next summer!:(

What do you mean, "150 away"?

quig
11-03-2010, 1:31 PM
Apparently, there are 150 applications to process before my turn will come up.

Yar
11-04-2010, 5:56 PM
Got my ccw in the mail today. Took over 1 year but it's done.

racer_X_123
11-07-2010, 3:56 PM
any tips for the interview? What was the range qualification like? Did you k ow after the interview if you were denied or approved? High pressure interview?

Yar
11-08-2010, 7:46 AM
The interview was real mellow. About half of it was verification of stuff on the application. Where did I work, where did I live, etc. They do ask you to bring some stuff in. A letter from your employeer authorizing/endorsing your CCW, and a utility bill to prove your residence. Then the second half was a discussion of your good cause.

From what I hear if you get to the interview stage your are most likely going to get your CCW. After the interview I was told 2 months and I would get a letter approved or denied.

After I got my approval letter I went to do my live scan and drop off my check. I was told to do my shoot. The range qual was very basic. They know me from work and from competition shooting.

I would say from the whole process in Ventura if you have a sufficent good cause and you can patiently wait the 1 year it should not be a major issue. Do not expect your going to get expedited no matter how good you think your good cause is. It is going to be 1 year from start to end.

vintagearms
11-16-2010, 6:53 PM
I highly recommend that everyone remains patient for just a while longer. We will address the process issues, but first we need to understand Ventura's acceptable good cause and good moral character.

Tagged for further info. I have not applied yet.

quig
11-24-2010, 8:24 AM
Interview next week! :clover:

Connor P Price
11-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Looking forward to further developments. Planning to sponsor once the holiday season is over.

quig
11-30-2010, 3:51 PM
Interview today is pretty much what "Yar" said it was. On the bright side, they are pushing the CCW apps much quicker than before. The deputy said that last year, they were 12-15 months to an interview. Now, they are down to 5-6 months as my app was turned in 6/2010.

I was told that I should get a letter in about a month, and I should start looking into getting the training.

So, who is recommended in Ventura/LA County for the CCW training. I have a list, but would like some personal feedback. I do have some basic weapons/safety knowledge and would prefer a training in which I might actually get some new skills, instead of a dummied down course for newbies.

sdjoslin
11-30-2010, 4:33 PM
TacFire is Good
http://www.tacfire.com

Sawdust
12-01-2010, 6:19 AM
Interview today is pretty much what "Yar" said it was. On the bright side, they are pushing the CCW apps much quicker than before. The deputy said that last year, they were 12-15 months to an interview. Now, they are down to 5-6 months as my app was turned in 6/2010.

I was told that I should get a letter in about a month, and I should start looking into getting the training.

So, who is recommended in Ventura/LA County for the CCW training. I have a list, but would like some personal feedback. I do have some basic weapons/safety knowledge and would prefer a training in which I might actually get some new skills, instead of a dummied down course for newbies.

You have to pick a trainer from the list that accompanied the application.

The majority of the course will be in the classroom and will be focused on the laws of self-defense with a firearm, where you can carry, etc.

The only range time is when you do your qualification shooting.

Sawdust

badreligion
12-01-2010, 8:11 PM
Interview done.
Fingerprints done.
Signed blank rice paper.
Cash Paid.
Training done.
Turn in training cert on Friday.
Wait on mail.

quig
12-01-2010, 8:22 PM
Where did you get the training? How was it? How much?

badreligion
12-02-2010, 9:45 PM
I have had better training for less money so I won't make a recommendation based on my experiences.

I will be actively looking into more training after the new year.

HowardW56
01-12-2011, 2:53 PM
Has there been any movement in the lawsuit?

vintagearms
01-15-2011, 3:14 PM
Has there been any movement in the lawsuit?

Id like to know this as well.

Connor P Price
01-15-2011, 3:59 PM
Register of Actions:

1 Petition for Writ of Mandate filed by The Calguns Foundation Inc on 10/15/2010.
Filed by:The Calguns Foundation Inc(Petitioner)Refers to:VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT(Respondent); County of Ventura(Respondent); Bob Brooks in individual capacity and official capacity as Ventura County Sheriff(Respondent)
2 Case assigned to Department 41.

3 Minutes finalized for heard 10/20/2010 10:48:00 AM.

4 Judge Frederick H. Bysshe recuses himself from this case on October 20, 2010

5 Minutes finalized for heard 10/21/2010 10: 22:00 AM.

6 Case reassigned from 41 to 42 effective 10/21/2010.

7 Proof of Service of 30-day Summons & Complaint - Substitute (served Sheri Debenning and by mail) filed by The Calguns Foundation Inc on 10/22/2010.

8 Proof of Service of 30-day Summons & Complaint - Personal (served upon Lynda Gibson, deputy clerk authzd to accept service) filed by The Calguns Foundation Inc on 10/22/2010.

9 Proof of Service of 30-day Summons & Complaint - Personal (accepting service Terry Edejer, office asst authzd to accept) filed by The Calguns Foundation Inc on 10/22/2010.

10 Answer filed by County of Ventura; Bob Brooks in individual capacity and official capacity as Ventura County Sheriff; VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT on 11/15/2010.

No new actions have been taken recently it would appear, but don't take this to mean that things aren't happening. I'm sure the lawyers on each side are hard at work.

Burbur
01-16-2011, 3:17 PM
Has anyone had or seen any action taken by the new administration?

I would imaging rewriting CCW policies and procedures wouldn't be in the top 3 things done, but you would think it would be somewhere on Deans radar, considering there is pending litigation...

wildhawker
01-16-2011, 3:28 PM
Register of Actions:

No new actions have been taken recently it would appear, but don't take this to mean that things aren't happening. I'm sure the lawyers on each side are hard at work.

We have the ball and will be taking the next step very soon.

Has anyone had or seen any action taken by the new administration?

I would imaging rewriting CCW policies and procedures wouldn't be in the top 3 things done, but you would think it would be somewhere on Deans radar, considering there is pending litigation...

I have not heard of any direct changes at this point.

coyotebait
02-02-2011, 4:24 PM
Does anyone have any idea at all of which way Dean leans on the issue?

Gray Peterson
02-02-2011, 5:17 PM
All,

I'll be posting this over in the Lake County section, but I got this message from Sheriff Rivero:

The new LCSO Policy Manual is not yet complete. I expected to have it available for review by County Counsel next week and published shortly thereafter but the person working on it was injured. I expect him back next week.

In any event, the CCW policy is a s follows; our CCW application process consist of filing out the standard DOJ forms, submitting the Live Scan result (DOJ approval), a short interview with me and my Patrol Commander and the range qualification. All other previous requirements have been removed. As far as a reason for the CCW permit, personal protection suffices.

Frank Rivero

Sheriff Rivero was one of the sheriff's who worked with me to make sure their rules are in compiance with the law. Sheriff Mitchell, now forcibly retired by the voters of Lake County, made many statements and claims about his opponent making it more difficult to get a license to carry.

Sheriff Mitchell also repeatedly lied in debates about getting a "CalGuns" endorsement, when CGF cannot endorse and CalGuns.net is purely a web forum. He alsounlawfully and illegally denied a Canadian citizen and permanent resident alien of the United States a license to carry (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/news/letter_1000.html), and in a phone conversation, flat out told me that he would only issue Mr. Adams his permit under a injunctive court order against this, despite People v. Rappard (http://romandad.com/Rappard.pdf) and despite understanding what Rappard meant. Sheriff Mitchell also illegally required training before accepting the license application and required 2 years worth of residency before being able to apply, despite Salute (http://romandad.com/salute.pdf).

This should be an example of how the compliance initiative works. Regardless of NRA endorsement or not, we will work with ANY sheriff who wants to get their policies in compliance with the law, and also drive home the point that self defense should be good cause. Before, Mitchell did not issue purely for self defense either from reports that I'm getting.

Sheriff Rivero deserves a round of applause for keeping his promises, for proving all of the haters wrong, and doing the right thing. I just wish numerous other sheriff's would follow his example.

Hat's off to you, Sheriff! :rockon:

Lulfas
02-06-2011, 3:14 PM
Does anyone have any idea at all of which way Dean leans on the issue?

Asked him on his facebook back when he was running. He was for keeping the status quo, which basically means useless.

atomicwedgy
02-09-2011, 7:34 PM
Any news??

savage1
02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Any updates or pointers? I'm wanting to try and get mine but also do not want to get declined for a non reason either. I just recently moved back to Ventura county (from L.A. county) and am looking forward to at least seeing some hope of a CCW.

soc_f
02-27-2011, 9:42 PM
Same interest here as well. Are there any Calguns 'Ventura' news threads we can follow for information on the lawsuit (so we dont have to keep posting the 'anything new?' question) ?

wildhawker
03-02-2011, 9:46 PM
We'll be filing the next motion in CGF v. Ventura soon. Without the records, it's difficult to judge where the county stands. What I've heard so far since the new sheriff was seated has not been favorable.

EBR Works
03-03-2011, 4:55 PM
I'm up for renewal in Ventura in about 3 months. I guess we'll see if the Sheriff is willing to renew my 2 year old CCW. Although my GC is still the same, I'm somewhat anxious.

savage1
03-05-2011, 6:02 AM
We'll be filing the next motion in CGF v. Ventura soon. Without the records, it's difficult to judge where the county stands. What I've heard so far since the new sheriff was seated has not been favorable.

Then I guess I will hold off a short while longer, Thanks for the update.

atomicwedgy
03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Any news on current Ventura Legislation status?

TheSeeker
04-02-2011, 7:57 AM
After a year and some months of enduring the CCW process in Ventura, I was waiting for my permit in the mail. After speaking with the secretary she said it was approved and waiting for signature. Mind you this is all after I had been approved based on background and the completion of the training and shooting course.

This morning Sgt. Bad News calls me and tells me the new sheriff has denied my application rather than signing it.

So I did everything I was supposed to, and met all the necessary requirements. My interview and good cause were all approved. They said hey your approved, go pay and take the ccw test and we will mail you your permit. I am confused on how this happens? I asked the Sgt. to send me a formal letter stating the reason for denial., he said he would TRY?

Here is the link to the thread at calCCW:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...-approval.html

atomicwedgy
04-02-2011, 8:32 AM
very frustrating. "two weeks" is a painful amount of time. just finished reading the calccw thread.

TheSeeker
04-03-2011, 8:01 AM
to say the least.

One78Shovel
04-13-2011, 7:06 PM
Not good news. I am still hoping for the best when and if I ever get an interview.

-178S

greasemonkey
04-18-2011, 8:09 PM
Just stumbled across this post in another thread ('NewPosts' link at the top of the page destroys my spare time!):

I received a letter from the Ventura County Sheriff's department today. Are there any attorneys here that can offer some advice?

wildhawker
04-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Anyone with a CCW issue should email their contact info and details to ccw@calgunsfoundation.org.

-Brandon

uyoga
04-29-2011, 3:46 PM
The matter is scheduled for hearing on the Petition for Writ of Mandate in Department 42, on Friday, May 6, at 8:20 AM.

wildhawker
04-29-2011, 4:45 PM
The matter is scheduled for hearing on the Petition for Writ of Mandate in Department 42, on Friday, May 6, at 8:20 AM.

Our final reply in support of our motion for writ of mandate was filed today. We look forward to the hearing and will update you with more info on the case soon.

-Brandon

VictorFranko
04-29-2011, 5:02 PM
I received my DENIAL on April 12, 2011.

steelrain82
04-29-2011, 5:09 PM
Can someone please explain what a writ of mandate is and/or what is does.

wildhawker
04-29-2011, 5:11 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus

Paladin
04-29-2011, 8:21 PM
I received my DENIAL on April 12, 2011.I'm really sorry to hear of your denial.

(But I'm glad you switched your avatar back to the cutie in the pink top! :tt1:)

greasemonkey
04-29-2011, 8:52 PM
Select text, right click, "search google for..." [or copy, new tab/window, paste, search...see how tedious it is to not use Chrome?]
Following page is the first search result, Wildhawker beat me to it by a long shot, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus

HowardW56
05-06-2011, 7:50 AM

Rescheduled to 06/06/2011 at 08:00 AM in 42 at Ventura.

Connor P Price
05-06-2011, 7:55 AM

What a drag.

atomicwedgy
05-06-2011, 8:20 AM
whos idea was it to postpone/reschedule?

HowardW56
05-06-2011, 8:28 AM
whos idea was it to postpone/reschedule?

The Judge...

EBR Works
05-06-2011, 8:54 AM

For what reason did the judge do this?

HowardW56
05-06-2011, 8:58 AM
For what reason did the judge do this?

Maybe the judge hadn't had time to read all of the pleadings... I haven't heard a reason...

Winston1980
05-07-2011, 4:29 PM
Hey,

The VC Sheriff's Department now has a link on their website pertaining to CCW's.

http://www.vcsd.org/sub-weapons-permits.php

I wonder if this because of the lawsuit? Maybe they feel pressured to make their CCW process more accessible? Or maybe Sheriff Dean wants to make the whole process easier for everyone interested in applying? Either way, it's a good thing they are making CCW info a permanent part of their site, right?

Thoughts?

Connor P Price
05-07-2011, 4:39 PM
Hey,

The VC Sheriff's Department now has a link on their website pertaining to CCW's.

http://www.vcsd.org/sub-weapons-permits.php

I wonder if this because of the lawsuit? Maybe they feel pressured to make their CCW process more accessible? Or maybe Sheriff Dean wants to make the whole process easier for everyone interested in applying? Either way, it's a good thing they are making CCW info a permanent part of their site, right?

Thoughts?

If you read items 1-7, it doesn't tell you anything that isn't already publicly available through DOJ. They might be trying to make people feel like they're making the process more accessible to applicants but its really just fluff.

Pyrodyne
05-11-2011, 9:59 PM
If you read items 1-7, it doesn't tell you anything that isn't already publicly available through DOJ. They might be trying to make people feel like they're making the process more accessible to applicants but its really just fluff.

Agreed, they didn't even bother to post the actual prices.

Connor P Price
05-12-2011, 2:09 PM
Agreed, they didn't even bother to post the actual prices.

That's what we get when sheriff is a political position.

sixdays
05-17-2011, 8:21 PM
Well...I applied in early June of 2010 and had a good interview in late November. Was told to go ahead and take the training and I'd get a letter in 30 days or so. Six months later and I haven't heard anything. I called to update personal info after moving and they couldn't find my file. Sweet! Was finally told it was at admin for final decision. Coming up on a year since I applied. Very frustrating, but what can you do. Waiting as patiently as I can.

EBR Works
05-17-2011, 8:33 PM
I just sent in my renewal. I guess I'll find out how smoothly the process goes. My initial approval took 11 months....

One78Shovel
05-18-2011, 2:35 AM
I have a co-worker who just submitted his renewal as well. He was told it should go failry quick.

I completed my CCW interview in early April. The Deputy was very likeable and professional as I was very impressed with his demeanor and approach. The interview started by him describing the process and why we were meeting. He wanted to make it clear we would go over line by line my application. He did note that due to the size of my file, very thin, that it should be fairly painless interview. He joked that if it was a thick file we would be talking for a while.

He explained a little about the liability associated with having a CCW if one needed to use it. We went over that brandish of a weapon, even with a CCW, is a crime. However, mitigating circumstances often clear the CCW holder once the details are explained to LE.

I was very open on my application and did not try to cover up anything. Funny enough, he still had some info for which I had completely forgotten about that happened over 17 years ago. I was not cited, however, it was ‘in the system.’

At the end of the interview he told me that he felt I was a citizen of good moral character and should be allowed to CCW and that my application would go forward as such. Apparently, packages go forward in groups so you really don’t know how long it may ‘sit’ before moving forward.

The deputy said I should hear something in 6-8 weeks.

-178S

V
05-21-2011, 6:30 PM
Back in June 2010, reading about more sympathetic CCW policy in some counties I thought I had a reasonable good cause so I sent off to Ventura for the application packet.

Then Corona got canned and things looked like they were going pear-shaped so I left the completed application on my bookshelf. Then at the end of 2010 Ventura had a contested Sheriff election. I emailed both candidates about their position and only got an answer from the eventual winner, who I voted for. I have no LEO or political donations contact other than this.

So January 31 with the new Sheriff in place and CalGuns suing Ventura I submitted my application. The lady who took it said "it could take up to a year" as variously reported on this board. Called by deputy for interview April 15. He stressed he was just the background investigator and the decision wasn't up to him. As with the poster above, he said the file is thin so not much to discuss. Spelt out the law as above, asked me to describe my good cause and said he'd submit the report. Said they went in batches should hear within in 4 weeks. May 13 got the letter to come in to pay and do fingerprints for DOJ/FBI. Lady said, if I'm confident the FBI/DOJ would come back clean, I should take the training and that I should hear within 4 weeks. Took training today and will hand that in on Monday.

So if they work as dlilligently as they have been I should be good to go by mid June. UPDATE: CCW arrived today so thats 2 weeks from fingerprints to issue.

Everyone was very nice, professional and helpful.

Kid Stanislaus
05-22-2011, 8:16 AM
That's good news, however, if your good cause was anything other than "self defense" then not much headway has been made. That's the gold standard we're looking for.

sixdays
05-23-2011, 8:44 PM
Glad to hear things are going smoothly for you crkba. I don't understand how I can be almost a year into it and the issue still so uncertain. Especially after being told I should complete the training after my interview. I could see it if there were issues in my background, or I had a record or something, but that's not the case. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

atomicwedgy
05-31-2011, 9:05 PM
Does anyone have any available maps for GFSZ in ventura county. Especially the thousand oaks area. Seems very soon CC will be the only legal way to carry, however at this point I would like to find where my limits are. And yes I am aware this will refer to a temporary option to UOC as it may be gone shortly.

One78Shovel
06-07-2011, 2:37 AM
Maybe the judge hadn't had time to read all of the pleadings... I haven't heard a reason...

I read on Twitter that CGF was heard yesterday in VC.

CalgunsFdn states- "We're optimistic after hearing oral argument in CGF v Ventura"

What is next in the process? I would like to sit in on your next hearing

Thanks
-178S

socal2310
06-07-2011, 6:23 AM
I read on Twitter that CGF was heard yesterday in VC.

CalgunsFdn states- "We're optimistic after hearing oral argument in CGF v Ventura"

What is next in the process? I would like to sit in on your next hearing

Thanks
-178S

The judge heard oral arguments and will issue a ruling when he has made his decision. From his words, I am almost certain that he plans to rule in our favor, but wants to spend some time determining the redaction guidelines for the sheriff's department (this was in response to the SO's assertion that a paid deputy on overtime would need to do the redactions instead of clerical staff - "But the redactions will be based on the guidelines I determine, not yours, right?" [paraphrase]).

Ryan

One78Shovel
06-07-2011, 6:15 PM
The judge heard oral arguments and will issue a ruling when he has made his decision. From his words, I am almost certain that he plans to rule in our favor, but wants to spend some time determining the redaction guidelines for the sheriff's department (this was in response to the SO's assertion that a paid deputy on overtime would need to do the redactions instead of clerical staff - "But the redactions will be based on the guidelines I determine, not yours, right?" [paraphrase]).

Ryan

Thanks Ryan.
Should it be expected then, pending a favorable ruling, we will get to see some good cause statements, both approved/denied with redaction?

If so, very good news. :)

-178S

HowardW56
06-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Thanks Ryan.
Should it be expected then, pending a favorable ruling, we will get to see some good cause statements, both approved/denied with redaction?

If so, very good news. :)

-178S

Unless the Judge decides to redact the good cause statements; then it's off to the court of appeals...

One78Shovel
06-10-2011, 6:08 PM
I have a co-worker who just submitted his renewal as well. He was told it should go failry quick.

I completed my CCW interview in early April. The Deputy was very likeable and professional as I was very impressed with his demeanor and approach. The interview started by him describing the process and why we were meeting. He wanted to make it clear we would go over line by line my application. He did note that due to the size of my file, very thin, that it should be fairly painless interview. He joked that if it was a thick file we would be talking for a while.

He explained a little about the liability associated with having a CCW if one needed to use it. We went over that brandish of a weapon, even with a CCW, is a crime. However, mitigating circumstances often clear the CCW holder once the details are explained to LE.

I was very open on my application and did not try to cover up anything. Funny enough, he still had some info for which I had completely forgotten about that happened over 17 years ago. I was not cited, however, it was ‘in the system.’

At the end of the interview he told me that he felt I was a citizen of good moral character and should be allowed to CCW and that my application would go forward as such. Apparently, packages go forward in groups so you really don’t know how long it may ‘sit’ before moving forward.

The deputy said I should hear something in 6-8 weeks.

-178S

Still standing by.

-178S

atomicwedgy
06-14-2011, 7:16 PM
anyone have a good feeling yet?

Yar
06-21-2011, 5:33 PM
I work at a 07 FFL and received a CCW under the old sheriff. My boss applied for his CCW but missed the cut off and was denied by the new sherriff. It did not make sense how my just cause was sufficient and his as the bussiness owner was not. Anyway he was successfuly in having his application reviewed and now has his CCW.

atomicwedgy
06-21-2011, 8:33 PM
Ive been checking the VC website, no updates. Guess he meant "two weeks"

maggie8264
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
3 weeks and no news?

wildhawker
06-28-2011, 2:11 PM
3 weeks and no news?

Next news update is when the judge decides.

Lulfas
07-01-2011, 6:03 PM
Next news update is when the judge decides.

http://www.ventura.courts.ca.gov/via/myDoc.aspx?id={E1E6C062-C230-4046-B7EF-0094FEE5B374}

They posted a minute order referring to a ruling... but don't seem to have the ruling anywhere I can find.

Scorpiusdeus
07-07-2011, 9:17 AM
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/jul/06/judge-sides-with-gun-rights-group-on-concealed/

In response to a lawsuit filed by a gun rights organization, a Ventura County Superior Court judge has issued a preliminary ruling ordering the county to release information about concealed-weapon permits and licenses.

The Calguns Foundation Inc. filed a lawsuit in October after the Ventura County Sheriff's Department refused to release all the records the group requested under the California Public Records Act.

The department provided much of the data but did not release documents on why concealed-weapon permits were approved or denied.

California sheriffs have discretion in deciding legitimate reasons for carrying a concealed weapon and granting permits, and the foundation wanted documents to evaluate the standards that were applied, said Gene Hoffman, chairman of the San Carlos-based nonprofit group.

The foundation, which requested the information as part of a project to help people with the permit process, also wanted to ensure the sheriff's decisions were consistent, Hoffman said.

County officials argued the withheld documents included personal information and details about applicants' vulnerabilities that could compromise their safety, and that redacting the private information as Calguns suggested would cost more than $14,600.

In a "statement of intended decision" dated Friday, Superior Court Judge Henry Walsh sided with Calguns.

Concealed-weapon permit applications contain a warning that all of the information may be subject to public disclosure, and privacy interests can be protected by redacting some information, Walsh wrote. The foundation agreed some personal details, such as Social Security numbers, could be withheld.

Citing a similar case involving CBS and Los Angeles County, the judge wrote that while releasing the information possibly could pose risks for permit holders, that danger was conjecture and not a valid reason to withhold it. Responding to the county's argument that redacting the documents would be "financially oppressive," the judge called the county's estimate that the task would take nearly 30 work days "seemingly generous." He suggested using a lower-paid administrative person to do the work rather than a sworn deputy costing the overtime rate of $68 an hour — a suggestion "not favorably received by counsel for the county," he said.

The judge ruled the county should produce the requested documents within 45 days and redact details such as when the applicant is potentially vulnerable to attack, home and business addresses, and the specific weapon authorized.

As the prevailing party, Calguns also is entitled to have its legal costs reimbursed by the county, the judge wrote.

The decision will become final unless the county files an appeal within 15 days.

Assistant County Counsel Marina Porche said Wednesday the county was analyzing the decision and had not decided whether to appeal. She would not elaborate.

"At this point, we have won the lawsuit," Hoffman said, adding he expects to receive the permit information within two months. "We're very pleased."

Calguns plans to redact applicants' names and other personal information, then post on its website portions of successful applications, he said. He said the foundation can redact more information if applicants are uncomfortable.

Calguns requested information from all 58 counties in California, and Ventura was the only one to be sued under the Public Records Act, Hoffman said.

He said about 60 percent of counties complied, 20 percent asked for administrative fees his organization considered illegal, and 20 percent refused to release information.

"I expect it's going to bring everyone else into compliance pretty quickly," he said of the judge's decision.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/jul/06/judge-sides-with-gun-rights-group-on-concealed/#ixzz1RROfxcnV
- vcstar.com

Yar
07-07-2011, 9:30 PM
Sweet

squee116
07-10-2011, 11:42 PM
This only forces them to release how they judge our good causes and stuff though right? We still can't use self defense as a good cause?

HowardW56
07-11-2011, 6:37 AM
This only forces them to release how they judge our good causes and stuff though right? We still can't use self defense as a good cause?

It depends on the good cause statements that have been approved in the past.

If they have approved permits where Self Defense has been used as good cause... It should be acceptible for others too...

duster1974
07-15-2011, 5:39 AM
I received my Ventura CCW packet this week. Is it advised to wait until these GCs are released or just get on with it?

I sent my GC to two advertised forum advisers and both came back negative. I had already requested the packet before seeking advice, so I'm thinking just get on with it and see what happens?

Also, does anyone know of any successful appeals to CCW denial in Ventura County?

Mikedril
07-15-2011, 9:03 AM
Personally, I'm waiting until the brains of this (Calguns) outfit receive the GC info, sort through it and come up with helpfull advice. I just made another donation to help things along.

greasemonkey
07-15-2011, 9:51 AM
If you're willing to wait a bit (maybe a few weeks to a few months) to apply, CGF will need all the applicants they can get to test Ventura, your participation in the drill would be very helpful not only to other Ventura Co. residents but potentially to future CCW-related cases all over the State. Waiting on Public Records Request/lawsuit to finalize.

I received my Ventura CCW packet this week. Is it advised to wait until these GCs are released or just get on with it?

I sent my GC to two advertised forum advisers and both came back negative. I had already requested the packet before seeking advice, so I'm thinking just get on with it and see what happens?

Also, does anyone know of any successful appeals to CCW denial in Ventura County?

Midian
07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
This is great news. Well done guys!

Connor P Price
07-15-2011, 12:17 PM

If you're willing to wait a bit (maybe a few weeks to a few months) to apply, CGF will need all the applicants they can get to test Ventura, your participation in the drill would be very helpful not only to other Ventura Co. residents but potentially to future CCW-related cases all over the State. Waiting on Public Records Request/lawsuit to finalize.

+1

The county has 30 days left to comply with the courts order to release the information that CGF has requested. It's tough to wait to exercise a right that you shouldn't need permission to exercise in the first place, but in this case its the most prudent course of action. Hang tight, it wont be much longer.

joefreas
07-28-2011, 9:12 AM
+1

The county has 30 days left to comply with the courts order to release the information that CGF has requested. It's tough to wait to exercise a right that you shouldn't need permission to exercise in the first place, but in this case its the most prudent course of action. Hang tight, it wont be much longer.

I have a few friends in a holding pattern at the moment. Apps in hand waiting for the release of the VC GC statements and CGN advice.

Connor P Price
07-28-2011, 9:40 AM
I have a few friends in a holding pattern at the moment. Apps in hand waiting for the release of the VC GC statements and CGN advice.

The timeframe has changed a bit to, rather than 30 days from my previous post the county has an additional 15 days or so. We're getting close though, can't wait to see what we get.

EBR Works
07-31-2011, 5:53 PM
I spoke with my CCW instructor today. He stated that the Sheriff Dean was rejecting a much greater percentage of applications than in the past. He also stated that many renewals were being denied as well. He told me that the Chief of Police of Port Hueneme had asked the Sheriff for CCWs for his reserve officers and was denied. So much for the new Sheriff continuing Brook's policies. I'm up for my first renewal in October and I am more than a bit concerned. :mad:

HowardW56
07-31-2011, 6:45 PM
I spoke with my CCW instructor today. He stated that the Sheriff Dean was rejecting a much greater percentage of applications than in the past. He also stated that many renewals were being denied as well. He told me that the Chief of Police of Port Hueneme had asked the Sheriff for CCWs for his reserve officers and was denied. So much for the new Sheriff continuing Brook's policies. I'm up for my first renewal in October and I am more than a bit concerned. :mad:

That doesn't add up....

The sheriff may be rejecting a greater percentage of the applications, and he may be denying renewals. But a Chief of Police does not need to look to the Sheriff for CCW's for reserves, the Chief of Police could issue them him or herself...

EBR Works
07-31-2011, 6:53 PM
From what I was told, the Hueneme Chief implemented his own CCW program after the denials.

HowardW56
07-31-2011, 6:55 PM
From what I was told, the Hueneme Chief implemented his own CCW program after the denials.

I guess we will know when CGF gets all of the apps....

alucky1
07-31-2011, 7:07 PM
The Port Hueneme chief is a she.

One78Shovel
07-31-2011, 7:07 PM
Pretty sad when I am just happy to not have received a rejection letter yet.

Like I mentioned before, very positive interview, was told I would hear yay or nay in 6-8 weeks. It's been 13 weeks. The kind lady said it went to the Sheriff over a month ago.

I can wait it out.

-178S

Connor P Price
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Pretty sad when I am just happy to not have received a rejection letter yet.

Like I mentioned before, very positive interview, was told I would hear yay or nay in 6-8 weeks. It's been 13 weeks. The kind lady said it went to the Sheriff over a month ago.

I can wait it out.

-178S

13 Weeks huh? As in 91 days? Sounds like the Sheriff needs a reminder that dragging that out more than 90 days is a violation of the law.

One78Shovel
08-16-2011, 6:45 PM
13 Weeks huh? As in 91 days? Sounds like the Sheriff needs a reminder that dragging that out more than 90 days is a violation of the law.

Today is 114 days and no news.

Standing by

-178S

wildhawker
08-16-2011, 7:50 PM
Today is 114 days and no news.

Standing by

-178S

Send me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. Need name, phone, email and a copy of the application; if you have anything that proves the date you submitted it, please send that also.

-Brandon

Connor P Price
08-16-2011, 8:38 PM
I like the way that sounds. Sheriff Dean told me during his campaign that he planned to stream line the process because he felt like it took to long. Apparently he didn't feel it necessary to streamline it to within the statutory time frame spelled out for him.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

One78Shovel
08-17-2011, 3:59 AM
Send me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. Need name, phone, email and a copy of the application; if you have anything that proves the date you submitted it, please send that also.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon- Email sent

-178S

wildhawker
08-17-2011, 8:38 AM
Thanks Brandon- Email sent

-178S

Received and replied - thanks!

-Brandon

racer_X_123
08-19-2011, 1:20 PM
Mine took about 9 months for the interview.... I was later denied the letter said, and I quote, "pepper spray is a non-lethal alternative..."

greasemonkey
08-19-2011, 1:24 PM
Mine took about 9 months for the interview.... I was later denied the letter said, and I quote, "pepper spray is a non-lethal alternative...":facepalm:

What a response. Of all people, Law Enforcement should know that the people on which pepper spray has no effect are typically the ones that HAVE to be stopped with lethal force.

joefreas
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Any word on the VC GCs?

Connor P Price
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Any word on the VC GCs?

The foundation allowed them a 15 day extension IIRC. Which would mean they should be in CGF's hands in about a week. I'd guess they'll be up on the sunshine initiative site fairly shortly after that.

joefreas
08-24-2011, 7:32 AM
The foundation allowed them a 15 day extension IIRC. Which would mean they should be in CGF's hands in about a week. I'd guess they'll be up on the sunshine initiative site fairly shortly after that.

Thanks Connor. I have been dying to see them and I have some buddies that are holding off applying also.

Rock6.3
08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Posted 08-31-2011, 1:23 PM

As soon as the team's finished redacting we'll post at CGF and announce here.

Expect 2 different files: 1) approved GC's under current Sheriff Dean, and 2) approved GC's under former Sheriff Bob Brooks.

-Brandon

here is the latest update for Ventura.

One78Shovel
09-01-2011, 2:38 PM
Received my denial letter today as I did not "meet the criteria for issuance of a concealed weapons premit". Go fugure......

Will consider an appeal at a time TBD.

-178S

wildhawker
09-01-2011, 3:56 PM
Received my denial letter today as I did not "meet the criteria for issuance of a concealed weapons premit". Go fugure......

Will consider an appeal at a time TBD.

-178S

Hang tight, we'll have good cause statements up very soon. They should prove interesting.

quig
09-01-2011, 8:24 PM
Word on the street is that Dean went from approving 90%, to denying 90%. Even renewals.

Is this preemptive tactic in anticipation of the release of the good cause statements?

Connor P Price
09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Word on the street is that Dean went from approving 90%, to denying 90%. Even renewals.

Is this preemptive tactic in anticipation of the release of the good cause statements?

I don't believe that he went from 90% approving to 90% denying, and even more seriously doubt that that it was part of any tactic.

One78Shovel
09-02-2011, 6:34 AM

I don't believe that he went from 90% approving to 90% denying, and even more seriously doubt that that it was part of any tactic.

I look forward to learning more on what the Sheriff's 'criteria' is when determining GC.

What's interesting is I must be a perceived threat to society to carry concealed, when in actuality, genuine threats to society do not apply for CCW, they carry illegally.

Just does not compute.

-178S

choprzrul
09-02-2011, 5:01 PM
Would really love to read some of those GC statements that you guys keep talking about.....

wildhawker
09-03-2011, 1:18 AM
Look for the Ventura GC statements to be posted on Tuesday.

HowardW56
09-03-2011, 4:51 AM

Sometime between 12:01 AM & 11:59 PM???

Yes I am a wise ***..................

Midian
09-03-2011, 5:26 PM
Again, great job CGF guys. I'm very interested to know how much favouritism, nepotism, and elitism has infiltrated the Ventura County CCW approval process.

I hope it isn't the case, but when you put people together they will indeed collude. Of course what all of us Ventura County residents really would like to know is: are there more lenient good cause statements that have been accepted other than the usual "I'm being stalked, I carry lots of capital" type situations, etc.

To my knowledge Sacramento County was pressed into effectively becoming Shall Issue from the CGF efforts, so the hope of course is that this also happens here.

vintagearms
09-03-2011, 5:38 PM

Looking forward to them.

joefreas
09-03-2011, 6:24 PM
:party::party::party:Look for the Ventura GC statements to be posted on Tuesday.

:party::party::party:

Some Guy
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
:lurk5:

Burbur
09-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Which Tuesday?

G-forceJunkie
09-09-2011, 11:11 PM
:twoweeks:Which Tuesday?

HowardW56
09-10-2011, 4:42 AM
Which Tuesday?

:eek: :rolleyes: :43: :rofl2: :laugh:

Thanks...

You got me laughing....

EBR Works
09-12-2011, 3:29 PM
Anyone here do a renewal with Ventura recently? How far in advance of your expiration did you hear from the investigator? I'm 3 weeks from expiration and have heard nothing.... :mad:

My renewal app was submitted and receipt acknowledged over 3 months ago.

sixdays
09-12-2011, 3:42 PM
My wasn't a renewal, but I just got my license in the mail after 15 months. Pretty long time

One78Shovel
09-12-2011, 3:51 PM
I was recently denied by Sherrif Dean and will submit an appeal once I view the GC statements coming out.

-178S

kemasa
09-12-2011, 3:58 PM
Good luck on the appeal. There is no real process except to ask again. I was denied, after having a permit for around 10 years, because I had an appointment and had the nerve to ask if anyone else could help me when the person was out sick. That renewal went through, but the next one was denied and they falsely claimed I was fired from a job, which I proved was false, but it did not matter. I was told by the Undersheriff that you need to quietly walk away when you get an answer that you don't like. I did not make a scene or anything else since if I did, I would have been denied right away and had a nice chat with many deputies, which did not happen. I asked Dean, after he took office, and got a letter saying I did not qualify.

One78Shovel
09-12-2011, 4:05 PM
Good luck on the appeal. There is no real process except to ask again. I was denied, after having a permit for around 10 years, because I had an appointment and had the nerve to ask if anyone else could help me when the person was out sick. That renewal went through, but the next one was denied and they falsely claimed I was fired from a job, which I proved was false, but it did not matter. I was told by the Undersheriff that you need to quietly walk away when you get an answer that you don't like. I did not make a scene or anything else since if I did, I would have been denied right away and had a nice chat with many deputies, which did not happen. I asked Dean, after he took office, and got a letter saying I did not qualify.

Pertty much it. I spoke with the Deputy who handles appeals and he said for me to write a letter, basically repeating why I feel I should have a CCW, then email it to him and he will deliver it to the Sherrif for re-consideration.

Can't hurt. But not optomistic either.

-178S

atomicwedgy
09-12-2011, 7:54 PM
Am I wrong in assuming that as a public official the Sherriff should be available for a face to face meeting for any Ventura county resident?

Librarian
09-19-2011, 9:48 AM
See the thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=479607

Docs available here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/category/17-2011audit.html).

racer_X_123
09-24-2011, 8:51 AM
So now that the good cause statements are up I can see that self protection is a reason that seems to fly... I was denied with a very similar reason.

What are my options?

HowardW56
09-24-2011, 9:02 AM
So now that the good cause statements are up I can see that self protection is a reason that seems to fly... I was denied with a very similar reason.

What are my options?

That should be discussed with the guys at CGF, and not in this open forum....

racer_X_123
09-24-2011, 12:13 PM
That should be discussed with the guys at CGF, and not in this open forum....

Who and how would I go about following up on this information? I was denied back in Feb. of this year.

greasemonkey
09-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Who and how would I go about following up on this information? I was denied back in Feb. of this year.

Contact bcombs at calgunsfoundation dot org

Dead*Reckoned
09-26-2011, 6:29 PM
I'm 18, do I have any chance of getting a permit with self defense as a good cause?

HowardW56
09-26-2011, 9:03 PM
I'm 18, do I have any chance of getting a permit with self defense as a good cause?

I am not aware of a prohibition, but I think you would be fighting an up hill battle...

Dead*Reckoned
09-26-2011, 9:31 PM
I am not aware of a prohibition, but I think you would be fighting an up hill battle...

Good, because I like a challenge. :chris: I do know that California and Alabama are the only 2 states in which the minimum age is only 18 as opposed to 21. I wonder if there have been any 18-20 year olds in shall issue counties which have had permits issued to them?

One78Shovel
09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, I received a denial from Sheriff Dean on my appeal for CCW. What a crock of *&^%. Of course I will not post my GC here, but trust me, it goes beyond some of the ones we have viewed recently which have been approved.

Thank god Im older and wiser or I would carry anyway....

It reads,

" I have reviewed your letter appealing your denial for issuance of a Concealed Weapons Permit. Based upon all information in your file, including your newest letter, you do not presently meet the agency's criteria for the issuance of a concelased weapons permit. Therefore, I must deny your request".

I do not meet the criteria but others do. Man I can't wait unitl I retire and get the ---- out of this dam state.

-178S

kemasa
09-30-2011, 7:01 PM
I got the same exact letter. To me, the whole department is corrupt (meaning not following the rules).

ETD1010
10-01-2011, 9:57 AM
Anyone here do a renewal with Ventura recently? How far in advance of your expiration did you hear from the investigator? I'm 3 weeks from expiration and have heard nothing.... :mad:

My renewal app was submitted and receipt acknowledged over 3 months ago.

I submitted a renewel with two and a half months to spare, and she told me it was enough time (I didn't know that a "renewal" was actually submitting an application all over again or I would have done it with a LOT more time to spare" I have 21 days left before mine expires now, and not even the interview has been done. . . :(

EBR Works
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Last word from the VCSD regarding my renewal was that she "had seen the file and the Sheriff had signed it. Expect a call within a few days". We"ll see what happens next. 7 days to expiration.

JCaswell
10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Is anyone getting allowed on new applications?:(

Gray Peterson
10-01-2011, 1:57 PM

The California Penal Code specifies no minimum age for getting a license to carry. There are other statutes involving under-18 possession which would make such an issued license to an under-18 worthless, and therefor make one's good cause equally worthless.

Good, because I like a challenge. :chris: I do know that California and Alabama are the only 2 states in which the minimum age is only 18 as opposed to 21.

Not correct. Alabama is 19. California has no minimum age, and neither does New Hampshire or Rhode Island. South Dakota & North Dakota is 18. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado issues carry licenses on a may-issue or emergency basis to 18-21 year olds. Maryland sets it at 18. New Jersey is also at 18....

I wonder if there have been any 18-20 year olds in shall issue counties which have had permits issued to them?

Sutter County has a stated 18 year old issuance policy. Sacramento doesn't restrict it to over 21's, though they may ask questions about lawful acquirement (if you did an intrafamilial transfer form you'd be OK, such as parent giving you a gift {do not pay the parent to buy you a gun, this is a federal straw purchase violation}).

I can say that at this time, 18-21 carry license issuance isn't in the cards for litigation until we can bring Salute into the modern era. That being said, Salute requires acceptance & processing for EVERY application, period.

mbacfp1911
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
What's next for Ventura County? New apps. matching/similiar to already approved GCs?

Ima2Avoter
10-10-2011, 5:31 PM
I was denied, after having a permit for around 10 years, because I had an appointment and had the nerve to ask if anyone else could help me when the person was out sick. That renewal went through, but the next one was denied and they falsely claimed I was fired from a job, which I proved was false, but it did not matter.

So being fired from a job can prohibit you from getting a CCL? Are they afraid you'll go back and execute the people that terminated you? Could someone elaborate on this please.

kemasa
10-10-2011, 5:36 PM
What it means is that if you annoy them (which can be anything, such as asking for someone to help you), they will lie so as to have a "reason" to deny you and there is little you can do about it unless you have money. They refused to respond to my request to explain why they lied about me being fired from a job as well. The system is corrupt.

EBR Works
10-10-2011, 5:40 PM
One positive note on Ventura - I picked up my renewal today. My prior LTC expired last week, but thanks to Brandon Combs and his efforts with the VCSD, I'm now good for another 2 years. Things are going to get a whole lot easier once the CGF is done with them.... :thumbsup:

One78Shovel
10-10-2011, 5:42 PM
So being fired from a job can prohibit you from getting a CCL? Are they afraid you'll go back and execute the people that terminated you? Could someone elaborate on this please.

Sheriff Dean has more faith in criminals who carry illegally to not commit a crime, than he does in law abiding citizens defending themselves against one.

-178S

PycckN-Comrade
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I see no recent posts here. Has anyone applied for a new permit in the past 2-3 months?
If yes, any news/info? I'm taking my application in next week.

So far the sheriff's office has been very co-operative. I called to request the app and had it in my mailbox in 2 days. A few days later I called them with a question and was surprised to learn there was a dedicated line for the CCW questions. Left a message and got call a call back from the public information desk officer in about 2 hours. The Deputy was very polite and informative.
So far so good. Taking the app in next week. Let's see how it goes...

wildhawker
10-16-2011, 12:23 AM
I see no recent posts here. Has anyone applied for a new permit in the past 2-3 months?

So far the sheriff's office has been very co-operative. I called to request the app and had it in my mailbox in 2 days. A few days later I called them with a question and was surprised to learn there was a dedicated line for the CCW questions. Left a message and got call a call back from the public information desk officer in about 2 hours. The Deputy was very polite and informative.

We'll be publishing news on Ventura soon. You mentioned a few things of the many that are positive for Ventura residents.

-Brandon

One78Shovel
10-16-2011, 4:33 AM

I have received some PM's from a few that have been denied recently in both initial and appeal submittals, including myself.

From what I gather you best have something better than 'Self Defense' as a GC which Sheriff Dean has previously approved freely.

Personally, I'm very dissapointed in the Sheriff.

Just my 2-cents.

-178S

PycckN-Comrade
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
What a bunch of BS!
Being the law-abiding and mentally stable US citizen should be a good enough cause.
Well, anyway, I will submit.
I'll keep Calguners posted on the progress.

PycckN-Comrade
10-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Ladies/Gents, a question.
As you may known, Ventura county CCW application "they" ask you to list the guns you intend to carry. Model, serial number and all...and there are only 3 guns per permit.
If the gun is registered to my wife, can I / should I put it on the app?
My wife is filing CCW app as well. Can we have same guns listed on both our applications?
Please advise. Ready to complete this last part and to take my application in as soon as I have this answer.
Thanx.

wildhawker
10-28-2011, 2:51 AM
Ladies/Gents, a question.
As you may known, Ventura county CCW application "they" ask you to list the guns you intend to carry. Model, serial number and all...and there are only 3 guns per permit.
If the gun is registered to my wife, can I / should I put it on the app?
My wife is filing CCW app as well. Can we have same guns listed on both our applications?
Please advise. Ready to complete this last part and to take my application in as soon as I have this answer.
Thanx.

DOJ requires that firearms be associated/dis-associated to the license. Go ahead and list whatever firearms you might carry, and include whatever you need over the 3 spaces on a separate page.

PycckN-Comrade
10-28-2011, 6:22 PM
So, to clarify the issue: the Ventura SO will not be checking to whom is the pistol registered, right? Or, at least they should not decline my application for that reason?

wildhawker
10-28-2011, 9:24 PM
So, to clarify the issue: the Ventura SO will not be checking to whom is the pistol registered, right? Or, at least they should not decline my application for that reason?

There's no statute requiring that a firearm be registered in order to be placed on a carry license. The licensing authorities exist to accept the application and feed the data into DOJ's AFS; the county is pre-empted from regulating who must register firearms, what firearms must be registered, and how. There's no rational basis for restricting the firearm to only one spouse, either, since the [mandatory] act of entering the firearm/license into AFS attaches the firearm to the licensee(s).

If you run into any problems on this issue, let me know.

-Brandon

chaunbot
10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
http://m.vcstar.com/news/2011/oct/28/new-documents-shed-light-on-ventura-county-gun/ yay it made the paper. Blow up the comments

PycckN-Comrade
10-29-2011, 7:30 AM
Very cool. I'll be at the Ventura SO first thing on Monday morning.
Brandon and all Calguners, thanks for your time and support.
I'll keep y'all informed of the progress.

chozenfew805
11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Just what I was looking for:43:

Midian
11-25-2011, 6:19 AM
How're we looking on this, Gents? Is it looking more like a 2012 thing before we inundate the system with LTC applications...or are they changing the game on us and making more difficult in Ventura County to obtain one now that the good cause data is out in the open?

atomicwedgy
11-25-2011, 4:17 PM
I havent heard anything as of late. I assumed after the released good cause statements that an apply statement would be sent out. Still nothing. I assume there is more that we do not know about Ventura's process and CGF is still working at it.

wildhawker
11-25-2011, 4:43 PM
There is news. I'm working on a release that should be out next week.

Midian
11-26-2011, 3:38 PM

Roger that.

dieselpower
11-26-2011, 4:21 PM
I have received some PM's from a few that have been denied recently in both initial and appeal submittals, including myself.

From what I gather you best have something better than 'Self Defense' as a GC which Sheriff Dean has previously approved freely.

Just my 2-cents.

-178S

Please keep this in mind....
Dean bases his decisions partly on a 1977 state attorney general's opinion that to obtain a permit, the applicant must have a need for self-defense that exceeds that of the average citizen, Aranda said. Applicants also must live in the county and have no felony convictions or history of violence or mental health problems, he said.

One78Shovel
11-26-2011, 4:32 PM

Just my 2-cents.

-178S

Quote:
Dean bases his decisions partly on a 1977 state attorney general's opinion that to obtain a permit, the applicant must have a need for self-defense that exceeds that of the average citizen, Aranda said. Applicants also must live in the county and have no felony convictions or history of violence or mental health problems, he said.

---------------------------

Hello Houston- We have a problem.

Dean DOES NOT base his decisions on the 1977 opinion as was displayed with the recent release of GC statements he did approve.

Dean speaks out both sides of his mouth it appears.

-178S

squee116
12-01-2011, 1:58 PM
I've been thinking about going for a CCW after sufficiently practicing with my currently jailed j-frame. But I might be moving out of the state in less than a year. Is it even worth going for the license? It sounds like it will take longer for me to get the license than it would for me to graduate and move out to graduate school.

Mikedril
12-04-2011, 9:55 AM

:sleeping: :43:

atomicwedgy
12-09-2011, 5:02 PM
how do we begin to address a 90+ day period for response from the date of application?

Lulfas
12-12-2011, 7:50 AM

Did this get released and I missed it, or did ya get backed up?

ETD1010
12-14-2011, 8:56 PM
So my permit expired on Oct 22 of this year. I had put in my application for renewal 8 weeks earlier than that. I was approved for renewal sometime around Oct 17. I got my shooting qualification in on Oct 25. . . It's now 12/14 and nothing. I've called them twice and all they've said is "we're working as fast as we can." Anything else I can do but wait and wait at this point?

:(

Mikedril
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

:twoweeks:

HowardW56
12-18-2011, 6:31 AM
NEW Ventura LTC policy (http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/ccw_policy.pdf)

CGF Blog (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/blog/entry/big-news-on-ventura-county-sheriffs-carry-license-program.html)

Mikedril
12-18-2011, 7:02 AM
NEW Ventura LTC policy (http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/ccw_policy.pdf)

CGF Blog (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/news-blog/blog/entry/big-news-on-ventura-county-sheriffs-carry-license-program.html)

Sweet!! Thank you Brandon, and all of CGF, for the great work!!!

icentropy
12-18-2011, 8:16 AM
I don't understand how this new policy is a step forward for those of us who's good cause is self protection (not above and beyond normal) it seems to clearly say most of the public doesn't have good cause....

One78Shovel
12-18-2011, 8:28 AM
I don't understand how this new policy is a step forward for those of us who's good cause is self protection (not above and beyond normal) it seems to clearly say most of the public doesn't have good cause....

Also, the good morale character clause is concerning. You may be of morale character enough to purchase a firearm, or even LTC from other states, but you may be held to a higher standard in VC?

Time will tell.

-178S

kemasa
12-18-2011, 9:14 AM
If you question the VCSD then you are not of a good morale character and it shows that the dept. is corrupt. They will then use any excuse to get back at you.

icentropy
12-18-2011, 9:23 AM
I'm just still not getting it. I was under the assumption that the biggest problem with CCW issuing was the "good cause" loophole. I also thought that previously it was basically up to the SD to decide on a case by case basis if you had good cause (nothing was really in writing) and they historically thought most didn't, so that's bad. Now they very specifically seem to be stating that self defense for the average person is not good cause. Isn't that a step in the opposite direction? I hope I'm missing something (probably am). My wife and I have been watching this issue for a few years now anxiously waiting for a possible "shall issue" style system. Is there a obvious progression from this new document to becoming shall issue?

Midian
12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Isn't that a step in the opposite direction? I hope I'm missing something.

I don't think you're missing anything. I agree with you. It appears to me that the Sheriff's office new, wordy policy is tighter lockdown on issuance now that their previous favouritism agenda has been exposed. In my opinion it'll be harder for everyday cats to obtain a LTC in Ventura County.

Then again, it was the VCSD that hosted the summit in Camarillo that demonizes those of us that want small government as potential terrorists...so why would I think they would be more flexible now that they've been exposed to issue LTC? Remember when it was all about the Scary Turban People? Not any more, folks. It's been rebranded and is pointed at YOU.

http://www.infowars.com/sheriffs-department-sponsors-secret-meeting-on-small-government-terrorists/

G-forceJunkie
12-20-2011, 5:40 PM
Before, they were using the "good cause" loophole as well as making additional hoops to jump through. Those additional hoops (letters from your neighbors, boss, etc.) were illegal under CA law. This fight is to simply make the Sherrifs follow the rules, IE CA law. The "good cause" loophole as you call it, that is another fight to be fought.I'm just still not getting it. I was under the assumption that the biggest problem with CCW issuing was the "good cause" loophole. I also thought that previously it was basically up to the SD to decide on a case by case basis if you had good cause (nothing was really in writing) and they historically thought most didn't, so that's bad. Now they very specifically seem to be stating that self defense for the average person is not good cause. Isn't that a step in the opposite direction? I hope I'm missing something (probably am). My wife and I have been watching this issue for a few years now anxiously waiting for a possible "shall issue" style system. Is there a obvious progression from this new document to becoming shall issue?

G-forceJunkie
12-20-2011, 5:43 PM
I'm just still not getting it. I was under the assumption that the biggest problem with CCW issuing was the "good cause" loophole.

Before, they were using the "good cause" loophole as well as making additional hoops to jump through. Those additional hoops (letters from your neighbors, boss, etc.) were illegal under CA law. This fight is to simply make the Sherrifs follow the rules, IE CA law. The "good cause" loophole as you call it, that is another fight to be fought.

I also thought that previously it was basically up to the SD to decide on a case by case basis if you had good cause (nothing was really in writing)

No, its all in writing and has been for years. They are just ignoring it.

Festus
12-22-2011, 9:50 AM
This phrase right here is what I'm most suspicious of : "Persons who are in reasonable fear of their safety due to a set of facts that place them in danger, above that of the average citizen". It violates the 2A as I read it, and also seems to be a way to continue the "good 'ol boys" club mentality of issuing LTC to the elite. Now that it's in writing, it could very well be a focal point for further litigation.

Midian
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
This phrase right here is what I'm most suspicious of : "Persons who are in reasonable fear of their safety due to a set of facts that place them in danger, above that of the average citizen". It violates the 2A as I read it, and also seems to be a way to continue the "good 'ol boys" club mentality of issuing LTC to the elite. Now that it's in writing, it could very well be a focal point for further litigation.

I agree. It seems that Ventura County actually tightened the screws. Am I wrong about this?

JCaswell
12-29-2011, 9:24 AM
I just received my CCW from Ventura yesterday.:D

Hearing the negative experiences had me pretty 'freaked out.' But I have a few friends with CCW from Ventura that have all recently received renewals or new permits (like mine), and they were quick to encourage me. (None of us are 'elite' or well connected, etc.--that is for sure!;))

I don't mean to diminish the reported experience of others. Just thought I'd share my recent experience too for those thinking of applying, etc.

The licensing folks at Ventura were friendly and professional --- Not adversarial at all. The detective was pleasant at the interview.

I submitted a classic GCS that was legit with respect to the stated policy and easily verified (they did verify), and the whole process took about 5 months beginning to end. I would recommend that any GCS you submit is in compliance with the stated requirements. Judging by comments from friends with long-standing CCW issuance in Ventura, the requirements haven't changed in this regard, but are as posted above, whereas I don't think they were posted previously (?).
Also, I was able to truthfully answer the drug, arrest/conviction and mental-health questions, do not have a bunch of traffic tickets and am sure my DOJ/FBI reports were pretty dull. :o

My permit was processed during the on-going transition --- I could tell the licensing folks are adapting to new procedures, and because they are friendly, I felt free to ask specifics about procedures and how they're changing. It seems clear to me the changes are geared toward speeding up the process.

Naturally, I'd prefer a state-wide "shall-issue" policy, but all-in-all, a good experience for me anyway. Hope others have the same.

wildhawker
12-29-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree. It seems that Ventura County actually tightened the screws. Am I wrong about this?

We'll see when enough data presents to objectively make a comparison. It will be mid-2012 at least before we have that dataset.

-Brandon

One78Shovel
12-29-2011, 4:50 PM
I will be happy to see if some 2 word GC's as basic as ones Dean has previoulsy approved get accepted. Until then, it's status quo.

-178S

Midian
12-30-2011, 4:33 PM
We'll see when enough data presents to objectively make a comparison. It will be mid-2012 at least before we have that dataset.

-Brandon

So we aren't at the ** TIME TO APPLY ** stage, then. Well, nevertheless, you guys did a hell of a job twisting their arm. Hopefully soon they'll cry "uncle!"

wildhawker
12-30-2011, 4:45 PM
So we aren't at the ** TIME TO APPLY ** stage, then. Well, nevertheless, you guys did a hell of a job twisting their arm. Hopefully soon they'll cry "uncle!"

Actually, we are, but differently. Without applicants making their way through the new process, we don't get data that offers indications of how the policy is being applied.

-Brandon

One78Shovel
12-31-2011, 2:32 AM

Actually, we are, but differently. Without applicants making their way through the new process, we don't get data that offers indications of how the policy is being applied.

-Brandon

I don't think the process was the overarching problem as much as the inconsistencies pertaining to who did, and did not, get approved using very similar if not identical GC's. Of course taking into consideration the morale character requirements were met (no felonies, domestics, etc) by both classes. The process was broken relative to the departments response time dictated by law, however, the ultimate conclusions reached were the of the biggest concern. What will be interesting to see now is the written reason stating why an applicant failed to meet the Departments 'issuing criteria'.

At the least the process and timeline reaching inconsistent approvals is streamlined. But as noted by others, I like the pressure CGF is putting on VC and letting them know the process is being monitored. That's why I am a VC sponsor.

-178S

wildhawker
12-31-2011, 2:53 AM
The overarching problem, if you want to call it that (and I think the description is apt), is the unconstitutional prior restraint on a fundamental right imposed by the statute's good moral character and good cause requirements (and the licensing authorities' subjective application of same). These we're dealing with via the federal 2A/14A challenge in Richards v. Prieto.

The conclusions are impossible to judge if they never come. With the new process and policy, we can at least monitor the outcomes in a statutorily-compliant timeframe. Not only us, but the Ventura County Star seems like it's taken a bit of an interest in this matter... (Sunshine.)

More to your point about the department's reasons for denying a license after Jan. 1, note that the PC will now require that "[]if the licensing authority determines that good cause does not exist, the notice shall inform the applicant that the request for a license has been denied and shall state the reason from the department's published policy, described in Section 26160, as to why the determination was made."

-Brandon

I don't think the process was the overarching problem as much as the inconsistencies pertaining to who did, and did not, get approved using very similar if not identical GC's. Of course taking into consideration the morale character requirements were met (no felonies, domestics, etc) by both classes. The process was broken relative to the departments response time dictated by law, however, the ultimate conclusions reached were the of the biggest concern. What will be interesting to see now is the written reason stating why an applicant failed to meet the Departments 'issuing criteria'.

At the least the process and timeline reaching inconsistent approvals is streamlined. But as noted by others, I like the pressure CGF is putting on VC and letting them know the process is being monitored. That's why I am a VC sponsor.

-178S

atomicwedgy
01-03-2012, 9:48 AM
should we be optimistic about "non-prohibited persons of good moral character" receiving their LTC? Do we have a good feeling about a positive change in their actual issuing procedures? Or is this another small step in the right direction.

SideWinder11
01-17-2012, 8:09 PM
Any update? Time to apply yet?

atomicwedgy
01-30-2012, 9:42 AM
Hello all again. After a long process of application, denial, appeal, denial I find myself here again. Any recommendations on reapplication or contacting a legal representative? Are we at a point where I can expect change?

SideWinder11
01-30-2012, 8:03 PM
Seems like the Ventura County section here has died off while other counties are going strong. What was your "good cause"?

wildhawker
01-30-2012, 9:59 PM
Hello all again. After a long process of application, denial, appeal, denial I find myself here again. Any recommendations on reapplication or contacting a legal representative? Are we at a point where I can expect change?

I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this.

Are there clear and incontrovertible instances of EP violations in Ventura post-policy changes? We simply don't know yet.

-Brandon

wildhawker
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Any update? Time to apply yet?

Please see my posts http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7755843&postcount=197 and http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7758073&postcount=199.

-Brandon

steelrain82
01-30-2012, 10:46 PM
but wouldnt applying and being denied so we get that data affect (hope i used the right one) a persons chance of getting a ltc in the future if they get denied. even if it isnt in the state or at least from a different county if that individual happened to move?

Connor P Price
01-30-2012, 11:12 PM
but wouldnt applying and being denied so we get that data affect (hope i used the right one) a persons chance of getting a ltc in the future if they get denied. even if it isnt in the state or at least from a different county if that individual happened to move?

I know of no legitimate reason that a previous denial would negatively impact a future application.

steelrain82
01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
i dont really follow these things but i know people have been denied, and that the application asks if you have ever been denied. so i figured that some less than glamorous sheriffs would use this against an applicant. so i was just wondering

One78Shovel
01-31-2012, 2:23 AM
Seems like the Ventura County section here has died off while other counties are going strong. What was your "good cause"?

Perhaps some of the reason some have grown more sour to the VC process (lack of updates) is that now they require funds up front for the process which utimately denies your application.

Before they denied your application for free.

-178S

wildhawker
01-31-2012, 2:37 AM
Perhaps some of the reason some have grown more sour to the VC process (lack of updates) is that now they require funds up front for the process which utimately denies your application.

Before they denied your application for free.

-178S

Understand that there is both a tactical and strategic benefit to the process we outline in our Guides/Model Policy/Fees Quick Reference (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/category/9-carry.html).

Yes, you will now pay fees in accordance with the statutory framework. Note, however, what that does for [A] duties and time-frames and [B] re-application processing and fees.

I'm not sure what you mean by "(lack of updates)" as relates to "the VC process"; as I mentioned in an earlier comment, "I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this."

We've moved Ventura into one of the best strategic positions - if not the best - in the state. Are we done? No, of course not - but much [if not all] of what remains will be addressed in ongoing or forthcoming litigation (and another project, announced soon), and not necessarily directly in Ventura.

-Brandon

atomicwedgy
01-31-2012, 8:29 AM
Ok. My GC was Identical to multiple good causes. With supporting documents. No history to refute "good moral character". Seems like the good ol' boys club wins again... for now. I will continue to donate to local efforts and look forward to seeing our "elitist" groups held to our standards.

atomicwedgy
01-31-2012, 8:34 AM
an additional question: If I have paid for livescan and the application process, how do I go about having my funds returned to me?

wildhawker
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
an additional question: If I have paid for livescan and the application process, how do I go about having my funds returned to me?

I'm not sure I follow: why would any funds be returned to you? Did their collection exceed those allowable fees as stated in our fee guide (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/56-cgf-ltc-fees-quick-reference-guide.html)?

-Brandon

wildhawker
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Ok. My GC was Identical to multiple good causes. With supporting documents. No history to refute "good moral character". Seems like the good ol' boys club wins again... for now. I will continue to donate to local efforts and look forward to seeing our "elitist" groups held to our standards.

I think this might be a factor of timing, but it could be what the sheriff's application of discretion looks like.

You might think about re-applying now that it's post-Jan 1 with a letter indicating how your GC is congruent with those already approved (and show them how).

-Brandon

atomicwedgy
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I apologize for any inaccuracy as I am at work, but I paid for the application fee and I also paid for the livescan process (fingerprinting). I am sure it is more than on the fee schedule at cgf.org. I will check my records when I get home. I assume that with a reapplication (by printing forms from CGF) and attatched letter of like GC I will not be charged again..?

One78Shovel
01-31-2012, 1:21 PM
Understand that there is both a tactical and strategic benefit to the process we outline in our Guides/Model Policy/Fees Quick Reference (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/category/9-carry.html).

Yes, you will now pay fees in accordance with the statutory framework. Note, however, what that does for [A] duties and time-frames and [B] re-application processing and fees.

I'm not sure what you mean by "(lack of updates)" as relates to "the VC process"; as I mentioned in an earlier comment, "I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this."

We've moved Ventura into one of the best strategic positions - if not the best - in the state. Are we done? No, of course not - but much [if not all] of what remains will be addressed in ongoing or forthcoming litigation (and another project, announced soon), and not necessarily directly in Ventura.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon- I appreciate yours and others efforts in fighting the good fight. My comment on updates was relative to lack of updates in this thread from applicants tranversing the new system.

-178S

wildhawker
01-31-2012, 1:52 PM
I apologize for any inaccuracy as I am at work, but I paid for the application fee and I also paid for the livescan process (fingerprinting). I am sure it is more than on the fee schedule at cgf.org. I will check my records when I get home. I assume that with a reapplication (by printing forms from CGF) and attatched letter of like GC I will not be charged again..?

I think you'll find the fee guide (as well as the other guides, FAQs, and Model Policy) informative and helpful to understanding how the laws and fees are structured.

-Brandon

atomicwedgy
01-31-2012, 8:26 PM
* edit

Thank you Brandon. I've got what I need. Apologies I overlooked that guide

wildhawker
01-31-2012, 8:51 PM
Has anyone reapplied since Jan 1st of 2012 with the Standard form available online?

Second, when filling out the form via acrobat reader there is not adequate room for some of the case filings or notations

Are you using this form (http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/42-dojstdccwapp.html)?

Also, given that you previously applied and are making the above post, I suspect you haven't read our guides with respect to re-applications/renewals and requirements for forms.

-Brandon

atomicwedgy
02-15-2012, 4:34 PM
Great team at the VCSO. The system has definitely become much more streamlined and efficient. Records and Deputys are great people to work with. Hopefully the application process reflects the new changes in the LTC process with an outstanding constitutional approval process. :-)

wildhawker
02-15-2012, 5:43 PM
Great team at the VCSO. The system has definitely become much more streamlined and efficient. Records and Deputys are great people to work with. Hopefully the application process reflects the new changes in the LTC process with an outstanding constitutional approval process. :-)

Glad to hear that our work has had positive effect.

-Brandon

JumpmasterC
02-17-2012, 2:56 PM
What is current contact info if I need to contact a CalGuns representative about a denial letter I received from VCSO?

wildhawker
02-17-2012, 3:13 PM
What is current contact info if I need to contact a CalGuns representative about a denial letter I received from VCSO?

You can email me with your full contact information and a PDF scan of all your documents, bcombs at calgunsfoundation.org.

Generally these inquiries take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for me to address; please be patient.

-Brandon

benjaminh98
02-17-2012, 9:08 PM
Is anyone else having issues downloading the "Ventura Approved Good Cause Statements (Sheriff Dean)" .pdf file?

I've tried multiple times and each time have received the "Error while downloading file" blue window at the top of the repopulated page.

safewaysecurity
02-17-2012, 9:17 PM
Is anyone else having issues downloading the "Ventura Approved Good Cause Statements (Sheriff Dean)" .pdf file?

I've tried multiple times and each time have received the "Error while downloading file" blue window at the top of the repopulated page.

Yeah it's not working.

One78Shovel
02-18-2012, 4:10 AM

Good luck using GC's he has approved before such as Self Defense or other.

It's not an equitable system.

-178S

HowardW56
02-18-2012, 4:13 AM

Yeah it's not working.

It is working now...

benjaminh98
02-18-2012, 8:27 PM
Good luck using GC's he has approved before such as Self Defense or other.

It's not an equitable system.

-178S

You mention self defense. Are the "self-defense" GCS, more of a general nature or a "I've received threats towards self and family" nature?

benjaminh98
02-18-2012, 8:29 PM
Also, is it unlawful to ask for a review of my GCS?

HowardW56
02-18-2012, 8:34 PM
You mention self defense. Are the "self-defense" GCS, more of a general nature or a "I've received threats towards self and family" nature?

The link works now, you can download and read the Good Cause statements...

One78Shovel
02-19-2012, 4:47 AM

Your question as applied to the released statements.

IMO- I would think simply stated "Self Defense" GC's, without further explanation noted as required, would represent the basic need for self defense which would include any current or future threats.

Not certain where Sheriff Dean stands in regard to equitable acceptance of GC statements or moral character.

The go/no go criteria applied to GC's should be an easy benchmark to understand. As the released statements show, a "Self Defense" justification is acceptable. It's the moral character aspect that Dean has the most wiggle room and becomes concerning if applicant is denied and meets following criteria-

- Has no felony convictions
- Is not a prohibitive person from owing firearms
- Has passed recent DOJ background checks for purchase of firearms
- Passed background checks from other States & obtained non- resident LTC's

If an applicant meets documented acceptable GC such as '"Self Defense", and meets the before mentioned moral character bullets, then one must question why there are inconsistency's in the approval process.

That may just be for the courts to decide.

-178S

atomicwedgy
02-23-2012, 6:30 AM
Your question as applied to the released statements.

IMO- I would think simply stated "Self Defense" GC's, without further explanation noted as required, would represent the basic need for self defense which would include any current or future threats.

Not certain where Sheriff Dean stands in regard to equitable acceptance of GC statements or moral character.

The go/no go criteria applied to GC's should be an easy benchmark to understand. As the released statements show, a "Self Defense" justification is acceptable. It's the moral character aspect that Dean has the most wiggle room and becomes concerning if applicant is denied and meets following criteria-

- Has no felony convictions
- Is not a prohibitive person from owing firearms
- Has passed recent DOJ background checks for purchase of firearms
- Passed background checks from other States & obtained non- resident LTC's

If an applicant meets documented acceptable GC such as '"Self Defense", and meets the before mentioned moral character bullets, then one must question why there are inconsistency's in the approval process.

That may just be for the courts to decide.

-178S

Has there been a CGF volunteer test case yet? With a declined identical good cause, are there plans to bring suit? Are we waiting for Peruta? Nordyke?

wildhawker
02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Scocca is stayed 6 months pending Nordyke, possibly longer. Richards is stayed on Nordyke. 2A in the 9th Circuit is pretty much on hold until Nordyke resolves.

-Brandon

p.s. That doesn't mean we won't file any new cases, but it does mean that we're going to focus on those areas and matters which can be improved during the stay.

benjaminh98
02-23-2012, 1:52 PM
I submitted my CCW paperwork today and have an interview next week.

HowardW56
02-23-2012, 2:38 PM
I submitted my CCW paperwork today and have an interview next week.

That Is Quick!

benjaminh98
02-23-2012, 3:01 PM
That Is Quick!

It sure is. I hope that is a good sign!

sixdays
02-23-2012, 6:03 PM
That's many MONTHS quicker than my process went. Good sign!

benjaminh98
02-23-2012, 6:38 PM
That's many MONTHS quicker than my process went. Good sign!

Were you approved?

sixdays
02-23-2012, 6:42 PM
Yes. It took about 14 months total.

maggie8264
02-23-2012, 9:23 PM
Recently recieved my LTC. Everyone at VCSO very good to work with. Took about 4 months.

sixdays
02-24-2012, 5:37 AM
4 months! What a difference. I didn't hear a thing for almost 6 months after applying. Is anyone else seeing improvements like that?

atomicwedgy
02-28-2012, 8:05 AM
Much more streamlined. The GC, GMC area still needs attention. We can see what approved GC is, we just need to see if ability to own/transfer/purchase/use a fiream is GMC

benjaminh98
02-29-2012, 5:40 PM
Interview is tomorrow..

I have to say..I'm a little nervous..not worried..just nervous..:o

One78Shovel
02-29-2012, 5:44 PM
Interview is tomorrow..

I have to say..I'm a little nervous..not worried..just nervous..:o

Relax, it's not a bad process. My interview was positive beyond my expectations. The resulting denials were a big letdown for me.

I hope to re-apply again at the end of March.

Let us know how things go.

-178S

benjaminh98
02-29-2012, 6:33 PM
Is there anything that I should take to make for less legwork?

wildhawker
02-29-2012, 6:34 PM
Is there anything that I should take to make for less legwork?

Just follow the procedure posted at the VCSO website.

-Brandon

benjaminh98
03-02-2012, 1:53 PM
Start to finish, the process took ~20 minutes.

Records clerk looked over my paperwork..copied my DL..asked me for the fees..fingerprinted me and sent me on my way..

She said it takes about 4 weeks to get a response from the BG and fingerprinting..

Overall..

Picked up my application for CCW on Thursday, February 23
Had my appointment for CCW on Thursday, March 1
By the end of March, I should hear the decision

Thats a pretty fast turn-around

Nepa
03-03-2012, 6:56 AM
That is an encouraging improvement.
I just moved from a shall-issue state (Pennsylvania) and I find the situation here surreal. I read the Ventura County Sheriff's SEVEN pages of instructions for applying for full use of my fundamental right under the Constitution. It's apparent we have made a huge amount of progress, but the mere fact that anyone requires seven pages of instructions to explain to me to how to go about realizing my rights is a bit of a shock to my system.
Regardless, keep up the good fight!

automatikdonn
03-06-2012, 6:30 AM
I applied along with my wife using previous good cause statements, as they are applicable to us. We were told by the interviewers that we probably would not get our licenses and that we should not move forward. We did anyways... not I am just waiting for our denial letter in the mail. I plan on appealing... I have no faith that anyone who is not an LEO is going to get a LTC in this county. I was told by the Oxnard PD that unless you are retired LEO that you are NOT going to get a LTC, and that you have absolutely no reason to have one.

icentropy
03-06-2012, 6:35 AM
A year ago, based on the lawsuit and everyone's talking i really thought Ventura Country was going to be much different in a positive way. Looks like the only thing that happened is the noose got tightened. The road to denial is faster and more streamlined. My wife and I were anxiously awaiting to apply and now we're mostly just waiting to move out of the state. :(