PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Peterson
10-15-2010, 12:25 AM
UPDATE (2014 May 28):
The sheriff's own policy dated 2013-02-27, under 218.2(f)(1) states that "Self Protection" may establish good cause. (See "CCW Policy" .pdf linked at: http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html). As seen on p. 6 of this thread, several CGNers say the the sheriff is issuing for "Self Protection" per the policy.

UPDATE (2015 Aug 10):
Policy 5/12/2015 at: http://www.scsdonline.com/records/ccw-appointment.html
links to .pdf of new policy where "Personal Protection" = GC

S&W629Lover
10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
The coals are hot here in Stanislaus County for getting a CCW. Get down to the Stanislaus County Sheriffs department now and pick up an application, if you're serious and have a clean background.

Kid Stanislaus
10-25-2010, 3:12 PM
There's another discussion hereabouts and it appears the Stan. Co. sheriff has seen the light on CCW. Great news.

Sheepdog1968
10-25-2010, 4:36 PM
That's good to hear. Any idea how Calaveras county next door is in terms of CCWs?

Standard
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I got mine in Stanislaus County, "Personal protection outside of the home" was my entire GC statement. No criminal background whatsoever.

Hdawg
11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
About two years ago, I applied and was denied due to insufficient good cause. I was required to have completed my training and pay all the fees before I could submit my application. Now I've read in different posts around calguns that the most I have to pay up front is $20 and I can take my training after I have been approved. Also, I have seen that once the sheriff has had me livescanned, I don't have to do it again. Have I read all this right, or am I mistaken? Has the sheriff changed his policy? The documents that are posted here from the Stanislaus sheriff indicate that his policies have not changed. Do I go in and just demand that the law be followed? That seems like it would possibly cause some problems getting approved?

OleCuss
11-09-2010, 3:01 PM
I don't think I'd go in and demand that they fix the process. You and I don't carry enough weight.

CGF is planning to educate California's sheriffs on the proper administration of the CCW application system. They may not like the education, but I'm assured it is coming.

For now, we suck it up and go get the CCW permit here in Stanislaus. After all, if you have a clean record the sheriff will almost certainly issue your CCW license - so it really doesn't matter all that much whether you do the training now or later - or whether you pay the entire fee now or pay it later. Right now in Stanislaus it really doesn't matter all that much.

In a county where they tend to deny you it matters. That's because there you'll be paying for a course you would not have had to take if they followed the law - and paid fees you should not have had to pay since they did not issue to you.

Hdawg
11-09-2010, 8:58 PM
Ole Cuss, you're right, of course. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it all up front again. Do you know if I have to go throught the livescan again?

jmust1991
11-09-2010, 9:09 PM
If I live in Ripon, do I go through Stanislaus, or San Joaquin? Or does it matter?

G17GUY
11-09-2010, 9:20 PM
Ripon is in San Joaquin county, that sucks.

wildhawker
11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with OleCuss, it's probably better for individual applications to avoid direct conflict and simply focus on getting the license. However, if you're interested in taking a stand, we can certainly appreciate such an outlook and will work with those applicants where it serves to advance the cause.

Hdawg, I suggest getting your license first and then, later, approaching the Sheriff's Dept. in a mailed letter (certified, return receipt requested) demanding the overpayment of fees based upon their improper policy. This is where we can help.

When you go back in to re-apply, you might want to inform the CCW coordinator that you do not believe they can assess more fees than another $20 initial fee since you already paid for the entire process, and that the law states "if the license applicant has previously applied to the same licensing authority...no additional application form or fingerprints shall be required" (PC Section 12052(b).) If they disagree, you may wish consider complying with their direction in order to achieve your objective in the short term. In any case, document document document! Keep good records of who/what/when/why/how and copies of everything.

Everyone, remember this email address: ccw@calgunsfoundation.org

Hdawg
11-10-2010, 1:07 AM
Thank you for the input. I will go ahead with the training and then re-apply.

Kid Stanislaus
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Does anybody know if Christenson puts limitations on how the carry gun is modified? I have CT laser sights on all the guns I want to carry. Is this going to be a problem? I've also bobbed the hammer on a S&W Model 66 snubbie.

OleCuss
11-13-2010, 7:31 AM
I don't know of any restrictions based on modifications. They didn't even bother to ask about any mods when I applied.

obeygiant
11-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Does anybody know if Christenson puts limitations on how the carry gun is modified? I have CT laser sights on all the guns I want to carry. Is this going to be a problem? I've also bobbed the hammer on a S&W Model 66 snubbie.
There is no mention of "modifications" in the Stanislaus CCW Policy or Application,fwiw.

Kid Stanislaus
11-13-2010, 8:58 PM
There is no mention of "modifications" in the Stanislaus CCW Policy or Application,fwiw.

That's good to hear, I won't even bring it up when I interview. I'm a big fan of CT laser sights and I'd really rather not have to remove them.

Bushsguns
12-08-2010, 4:24 AM
Ok question I know if you live in Modesto city limits you have to go through the PD for your CCW. Does anyone have any insight on how they are about issuing?

Gray Peterson
12-08-2010, 8:29 AM
Ok question I know if you live in Modesto city limits you have to go through the PD for your CCW. Does anyone have any insight on how they are about issuing?

This is absolutely positively false. As a resident of a city with it's own PD you have two choices: the city PD or the county sheriff. Please go through your sheriff.

followingtherules
12-08-2010, 9:29 AM
Gray-

I met with TPD, and the tried to go directly to SO and explained I had "talked" to TPD. Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD. This is a recent change that the sheriff committed to TPD's CoP so that TPD could "monitor" who is getting permits. So I am back to TPD in January to deal with this issue, pay the money, get rejected, then go to SO, pay the money and get my permit.

Any thoughts?

"just a guy trying to follow the rules..."

Gray Peterson
12-08-2010, 9:44 AM
Gray-

I met with TPD, and the tried to go directly to SO and explained I had "talked" to TPD. Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD. This is a recent change that the sheriff committed to TPD's CoP so that TPD could "monitor" who is getting permits. So I am back to TPD in January to deal with this issue, pay the money, get rejected, then go to SO, pay the money and get my permit.

Any thoughts?

"just a guy trying to follow the rules..."

Specifically:

Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD.

And I'll make it very clear to Connie: She and her boss the sheriff will take the applications from residents of Turlock without requiring anything else per Salute v. Pitchess, or she along with her boss can join a defendant's roster and be forced to explain under oath to a court why they're violating Salute.

Let me a quote of mine which has somehow ended up in the sig's of quite a few members here: "The Sheriff's will follow the law. Not "or else". WILL".

The sheriff is breaking the law and not "following the rules" of PC12050. Please pm both me and wildhawker, with your RL name, what happened specifically with Connie, and your phone number, I will call and reach out to you.

Do not under any circumstances go to Turlock PD, and do not under any circumstances cooperate with the sheriff's unlawful and illegal demands, especially demands which cost you money.

As a general statement to this board: People who abet a sheriff's illegal demands only supports the sheriff's in their incorrect belief that their own illegal actions are A-OK.

:rant:

Kid Stanislaus
12-08-2010, 1:49 PM
GO GET'M GRAY!!

dantodd
12-08-2010, 5:08 PM

RANT ON. RANT OFF.

The Ranter!!

(those damn clap on ads have gotten into my head...)

JohanD
12-08-2010, 7:32 PM
Specifically:

Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD.

And I'll make it very clear to Connie: She and her boss the sheriff will take the applications from residents of Turlock without requiring anything else per Salute v. Pitchess, or she along with her boss can join a defendant's roster and be forced to explain under oath to a court why they're violating Salute.

Let me a quote of mine which has somehow ended up in the sig's of quite a few members here: "The Sheriff's will follow the law. Not "or else". WILL".

The sheriff is breaking the law and not "following the rules" of PC12050. Please pm both me and wildhawker, with your RL name, what happened specifically with Connie, and your phone number, I will call and reach out to you.

Do not under any circumstances go to Turlock PD, and do not under any circumstances cooperate with the sheriff's unlawful and illegal demands, especially demands which cost you money.

As a general statement to this board: People who abet a sheriff's illegal demands only supports the sheriff's in their incorrect belief that their own illegal actions are A-OK.

Bravo! :punk:

OleCuss
12-09-2010, 9:48 AM
I confirmed current policy with Connie this a.m. Sheriff will, however, renew licenses previously issued to Turlock residents.

I live in Turlock and if someone wanted me to go to the sheriff's office and show them the relevant case law I'd be willing to arrange for that. I think the sheriff is a good guy and will see reason without getting sued.

Gray Peterson
12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
From Brandon:

If you or someone you know reside in the City of Turlock, specifically, or Stanislaus County generally, do not have a carry license, and are interested in reforming Carry License policies and improving issuance in your area, please sign up to participate at https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer **ASAP**!

-Brandon

dantodd
12-09-2010, 1:38 PM
I confirmed current policy with Connie this a.m. Sheriff will, however, renew licenses previously issued to Turlock residents.

I live in Turlock and if someone wanted me to go to the sheriff's office and show them the relevant case law I'd be willing to arrange for that. I think the sheriff is a good guy and will see reason without getting sued.

You can be absolutely 100% certain that Brandon and Gray made sure that the sheriff is well aware of all pertinent law. Now Brandon is making sure that he has an opportunity to show his willingness to follow that law.

wildhawker
12-09-2010, 5:08 PM
http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/174228/pink-floyd-hammer-tools-1.jpg

Mayhem
12-14-2010, 6:21 PM
Have you completed a gun safety course?
Attach a copy of the certificate to your
application.

Private Citizens: Safety course must be
taken within 90 days of your application.

Are they asking for it to be taken 90 before and/or after the Application. or do they just want it completed by the end of 90 days.

Reason I'm asking is I have P.O.S.T. Firearms Training certificate and several others training certificates from the mid to late 90's

Do I still have to take training?

obeygiant
12-14-2010, 7:42 PM
Are they asking for it to be taken 90 before and/or after the Application. or do they just want it completed by the end of 90 days.

Reason I'm asking is I have P.O.S.T. Firearms Training certificate and several others training certificates from the mid to late 90's

Do I still have to take training?

Within 90 days before or after the Application.

G17GUY
12-14-2010, 8:01 PM
Within 90 days before or after the Application.

Or 6 months for Judges, county employees, DDA's

Or every year for Custodial (jail sheriff), Reserve officers

wildhawker
12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I'm having trouble finding where, exactly, the statute provides (or allows) for a different training period or regimen for classes of applicants created by the Sheriff...

Kid Stanislaus
12-18-2010, 5:16 PM
I did my class with WTS in Jamestown today, they are nice folk and get my recommendation. I'll be taking a basic handgun class from them in the Spring. Next step is to get that application and appointment.

Paladin
12-18-2010, 11:30 PM
The coals are hot here in Stanislaus County for getting a CCW. Get down to the Stanislaus County Sheriffs department now and pick up an application, if you're serious and have a clean background.

There's another discussion hereabouts and it appears the Stan. Co. sheriff has seen the light on CCW. Great news.

I got mine in Stanislaus County, "Personal protection outside of the home" was my entire GC statement. No criminal background whatsoever.

CGF is planning to educate California's sheriffs on the proper administration of the CCW application system. They may not like the education, but I'm assured it is coming.

For now, we suck it up and go get the CCW permit here in Stanislaus. After all, if you have a clean record the sheriff will almost certainly issue your CCW license - so it really doesn't matter all that much whether you do the training now or later - or whether you pay the entire fee now or pay it later. Right now in Stanislaus it really doesn't matter all that much.

I agree with OleCuss, it's probably better for individual applications to avoid direct conflict and simply focus on getting the license. However, if you're interested in taking a stand, we can certainly appreciate such an outlook and will work with those applicants where it serves to advance the cause.

So what is the "official" status of Stanislaus acc to CGF: "time to apply" or wait because the Right People still in discussions w/the SO?

wildhawker
12-19-2010, 1:36 PM
So what is the "official" status of Stanislaus acc to CGF: "time to apply" or wait because the Right People still in discussions w/the SO?

We suggest holding tight until our efforts resolve.

-Brandon

Kid Stanislaus
12-19-2010, 10:02 PM

-Brandon

I've taken my class. Are you saying to hold off applying until further notice?

wildhawker
12-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I've taken my class. Are you saying to hold off applying until further notice?

No. Those who've volunteered and I contacted should proceed. However, we would like to contain this effort somewhat until it fully resolves.

wildhawker
12-29-2010, 1:38 PM
Everyone who participated will be receiving a letter. Please scan and email it to me ASAP and notate if you are a Turlock resident.

-Brandon

followingtherules
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
FYI, I received an email from the Madison Society that says the SO did not require a member to be rejected from Turlock before applying. Has anyone else experienced this, or have we received any responses that the policy change was made?

G17GUY
01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
FYI, I received an email from the Madison Society that says the SO did not require a member to be rejected from Turlock before applying. Has anyone else experienced this, or have we received any responses that the policy change was made?

How recent was the email? Can you post it?

This change is recent and there are reports of the policy change. You can always call the sheriff office and ask if you Don't believe it.

Posted 01-05-2011

I took mine through Madison Society; however, when I called the Sheriff's office to make my appointment, Connie told me that I had to apply at Turlock PD first. If I was denied then I could apply through the Sheriff. That was the new policy. Where in the PC does it say I must do that? I did not see that referenced in the policy either (Salute vs Pitchess). Guess we are just special in Turlock.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=298723&page=5

wildhawker
01-08-2011, 1:25 PM
If the Stanislaus County SO is accepting applications "without prejudice", it's a recent change. We'll be asking volunteers to test this ASAP.

-Brandon

followingtherules
01-08-2011, 3:46 PM
How recent was the email? Can you post it?

This change is recent and there are reports of the policy change. You can always call the sheriff office and ask if you Don't believe it.

Here is the body of the email I received this morning (1/8/11):

Turlock Madison Society Chapter News Item:

A Madison member has reported that the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Office,
when called, no longer stated a requirement for a Turlock CCW applicant to apply first at the Turlock Police Department. If you are in process at TPD, you may be able, once again, to apply directly to the SO and avoid wasting your time and money with a possible TPD rejection.

Of course, one day AFTER I applied at Turlock PD. :-(

Jason

wildhawker
01-08-2011, 3:52 PM
I highly recommend withdrawing your application at TPD and submitting directly to the Sheriff.

-Brandon

Here is the body of the email I received this morning (1/8/11):

Jason

Mammoth
01-10-2011, 9:10 AM

Jason

I think we tried to warn you. :cool2:

cltitus
01-10-2011, 6:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't you only suppose to go through local PD's if there isn't a sheriff office within your location or if the local PD is endorsing you to help you get it.

I.E. Domestic violence MPD called and suggests that said person should apply for CCW to help secure life of said name victim.

please correct this if I'm way off this is just speculating!

The Geologist
01-10-2011, 9:19 PM
Confirmed, Stanislaus County Sheriff is accepting applications without any regard as to which City/Town in the County you reside. Only concerned if you are a Stanislaus County resident. My appointment was scheduled today.

wildhawker
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't you only suppose to go through local PD's if there isn't a sheriff office within your location or if the local PD is endorsing you to help you get it.

I.E. Domestic violence MPD called and suggests that said person should apply for CCW to help secure life of said name victim.

please correct this if I'm way off this is just speculating!

Sheriffs must accept all applications of county residents (in or outside of cities), and also applications for 90-day business permits.

wildhawker
01-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Confirmed, Stanislaus County Sheriff is accepting applications without any regard as to which City/Town in the County you reside. Only concerned if you are a Stanislaus County resident. My appointment was scheduled today.

Excellent... on to phase 2...

Drawman
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm confused as to the timing of the class completion. I am scheduled next month for a CCW class. Do I go ahead and apply for CCW before? or after I complete the class?

wildhawker
01-14-2011, 1:39 PM
Our instructions are to submit the application and initial local fees *only*.

Paladin
01-15-2011, 6:05 PM
Excellent... on to phase 2...
How many "phases" between "Good Cause statements available" and "**TIME TO APPLY**" ?

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 8:21 PM
How many "phases" between "Good Cause statements available" and "**TIME TO APPLY**" ?

That's entirely area (and mission)-specific. Note that we already asked people to apply - now we're moving forward from there.

Hdawg
01-15-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm confused as to the timing of the class completion. I am scheduled next month for a CCW class. Do I go ahead and apply for CCW before? or after I complete the class?

When I called for an appointment, I was told I couldn't get one until I completed the training.:mad:

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
When I called for an appointment, I was told I couldn't get one until I completed the training.:mad:

Please make sure to document this in detail. I'll be following up soon.

Veggie
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
My Uncle and his friend Lorne are the heads of the Turlock Chapter of the Madison Society. I can confirm the report of the Sheriff not requiring denial from TPD.

I will be applying within next two to three weeks most likely.

Hdawg
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Please make sure to document this in detail. I'll be following up soon.

Brandon, you should have an email with all the details.

-Harvey

G17GUY
01-16-2011, 7:26 PM

You are not the only one. I took the ccw class at wts recently and one guy in the class was told by Connie he needed his training prior to making an appointment.

G17GUY
01-16-2011, 7:34 PM
The other thing I want to mention is the Good Cause statement. Many people seem to not understand the lowest acceptable standard.

Yes, my only GC was "personal protection outside of the home".

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5631430&posted=1#post5631430

Lets not over think the issue. A good cause statement of "personal protection outside of the home" seems to be adequate.

Drawman
01-17-2011, 7:33 AM
ok, another question...on the Stan Co Sheriff Dept information sheet, it has 3 items:
1. your gun is registered in current DOJ system
2. A copy of the applicable documents is/are attached
3. Able to answer questions

in #2, what are the "applicable documents"? the documents showing my firearms are registered with DOJ?

Kid Stanislaus
01-17-2011, 6:34 PM
This could get really sticky.

wildhawker
01-18-2011, 3:18 AM
ok, another question...on the Stan Co Sheriff Dept information sheet, it has 3 items:
1. your gun is registered in current DOJ system
2. A copy of the applicable documents is/are attached
3. Able to answer questions

in #2, what are the "applicable documents"? the documents showing my firearms are registered with DOJ?

The only form you need is the completed standard application.

This could get really sticky.

Yes. I'd hate to be the Sheriff and have to defend the unlawful policies.

Kid Stanislaus
01-18-2011, 9:11 AM
I'd hate to get down there tomorrow morning and be told I didn't have some obscure "applicable documents".

Drawman
01-18-2011, 12:32 PM
The only form you need is the completed standard application.

Yes. I'd hate to be the Sheriff and have to defend the unlawful policies.

Thanks for the help

wildhawker
01-18-2011, 4:02 PM
I'd hate to get down there tomorrow morning and be told I didn't have some obscure "applicable documents".

You can call them ahead of time and ask. If they ask for more than the standard application, document the exact nature of the conversation and who it was with.

Kid Stanislaus
01-19-2011, 5:26 PM
I dropped my application off today and got fingerprinted, everything went smoothly. Connie seems to really know what she's doing and she's a really friendly gal. I ponied up the $115 and she seemed pleased to take it!

Drawman
01-24-2011, 8:13 PM

For further info:

1-24-11, in and about 3:10 pm I called to make an appointment to submit my application:
Connie is indeed friendly, she asked my full name and phone number, She stated when she returned my call, I need to have the guns I wished to carry, name, model and serial number. She then asked if I had completed the required training.....when I answerd my class was next month, she informed me I was required to complete the training prior to appying.
I said ok, thank you very much.

I also heard some guys talking in a gun shop..."Calguns is causing issues, trying to force the SO to issue permits to those who don't even own a gun"
just what I heard......

wildhawker
01-24-2011, 9:17 PM
Glad you're hearing that. It means we must be doing something right.

Yes, you should not have to own a gun to get a permit. That said, we're not fighting that battle yet. Sheriff Christianson has a very unlawful policy that we'll litigate over if he chooses to not remedy it.

-Brandon

For further info:

1-24-11, in and about 3:10 pm I called to make an appointment to submit my application:
Connie is indeed friendly, she asked my full name and phone number, She stated when she returned my call, I need to have the guns I wished to carry, name, model and serial number. She then asked if I had completed the required training.....when I answerd my class was next month, she informed me I was required to complete the training prior to appying.
I said ok, thank you very much.

I also heard some guys talking in a gun shop..."Calguns is causing issues, trying to force the SO to issue permits to those who don't even own a gun"
just what I heard......

Paladin
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes, you should not have to own a gun to get a permit.What?! ! ! Next thing you'll be saying people should be able to get a Drivers License w/o owning a car. Those Calguns people are CRAZY! ;)

zum
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM

-Brandon

so are we still in a holding pattern?

because i would like to start the process myself

wildhawker
01-24-2011, 11:27 PM
so are we still in a holding pattern?

because i would like to start the process myself

If you want to get a CCW, you can, though you'll have to deal with the current unlawful policies along the way.

zum
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
If you want to get a CCW, you can, though you'll have to deal with the current unlawful policies along the way.

are you at liberty to share any "unlawful policies" people are having to deal with in applying in Stanislaus county?

and would you prefer i wait in applying, pending the outcome of any future litigation filed against Stanislaus in a attempt to correct any " unlawful polices"

wildhawker
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
are you at liberty to share any "unlawful policies" people are having to deal with in applying in Stanislaus county?

and would you prefer i wait in applying, pending the outcome of any future litigation filed against Stanislaus in a attempt to correct any " unlawful polices"

It's really up to you at this point. If you want a ccw ASAP, then apply as per their direction. If you want a ccw, albeit a longer process, but also want to force them to follow the law, then it's a different track.

A few unlawful policies:

* Requiring training prior to application
* Requiring fees in excess of statutory caps
* http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/Stanislaus.pdf

Kid Stanislaus
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
It's really up to you at this point. If you want a ccw ASAP, then apply as per their direction. If you want a ccw, albeit a longer process, but also want to force them to follow the law, then it's a different track.

A few unlawful policies:

* Requiring training prior to application
* Requiring fees in excess of statutory caps
* http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/Stanislaus.pdf

When its all settled they'll be issuing refunds.

Drawman
01-25-2011, 7:08 AM
Glad you're hearing that. It means we must be doing something right.

Yes, you should not have to own a gun to get a permit. That said, we're not fighting that battle yet. Sheriff Christianson has a very unlawful policy that we'll litigate over if he chooses to not remedy it.

-Brandon

Well. hopefully things will run smoother after I have the training. We will see....
If their policies change in the mean time, I can always call back.

G17GUY
01-27-2011, 4:42 PM
Appointments to turn in an application are being scheduled into march.

Can they make someone that wants to turn an application in now, wait a month?

Kid Stanislaus
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Appointments to turn in an application are being scheduled into march. Can they make someone that wants to turn an application in now, wait a month?

You got any ideas on how to stop them?;)

wildhawker
01-28-2011, 1:25 AM
Appointments to turn in an application are being scheduled into march.

Can they make someone that wants to turn an application in now, wait a month?

This is an issue we're working on carefully.

tabrisnet
01-28-2011, 8:46 AM
I don't know if their scheduling is legitimate or not... but it could be. What if they really don't have the department resources to take more than X apps/day ? Claiming that limitation of resources is unconstitutional is asking for human law to violate physical laws. Something I'd love to see in the courts, if only to watch the judge as he repeals the laws of thermodynamics.

Paladin
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM
It's really up to you at this point. If you want a ccw ASAP, then apply as per their direction. If you want a ccw, albeit a longer process, but also want to force them to follow the law, then it's a different track.Option #2, that's the track I want to be on (for Alameda Co.).

Sure it will be GREAT to legally carry, but what I really want is to change this state (or at least my county). There are MANY others in my county who actually need a CCW, and I want to do my part so that they (along w/myself) can get one.

It is only when law-abiding folks in high crime urban and ghetto areas can legally carry guns for self-defense that BGs will be on notice that the sheep now have fangs. (we need a new smilie for that!)

rivraton
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
It is only when law-abiding folks in high crime urban and ghetto areas can legally carry guns for self-defense that BGs will be on notice that the sheep now have fangs. (we need a new smilie for that!)
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/251/424/8096

wildhawker
01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't know if their scheduling is legitimate or not... but it could be. What if they really don't have the department resources to take more than X apps/day ? Claiming that limitation of resources is unconstitutional is asking for human law to violate physical laws. Something I'd love to see in the courts, if only to watch the judge as he repeals the laws of thermodynamics.

The options will be:

1. Comply with the law. If you can't maintain a crappy policy, then policy gets simplified to accomodate. Additional hires may also factor.
2. Get sued. A Federal judge will say, "Do this now".

Both mean that carry licensing will likely become a "we don't want it anymore" issue for LEAs unless they can accept an e.g. Iowa-style shall-issue system.

Drawman
02-02-2011, 7:16 AM
does anyone know if a couple speeding tickets in the last 5 years will affect the decision on issue of CCW?

G17GUY
02-02-2011, 8:20 PM
does anyone know if a couple speeding tickets in the last 5 years will affect the decision on issue of CCW?

The closest I could find is this.

Also should add that I do have an arrest record from approx 20 years ago for driving related offenses, and did visit the crossbar hotel about a half dozen times due to DUI, driving on suspended and failure to appear charges.

I was in my early 20s at the time, and now a 41 year old business owner.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5491140

hardway
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I had 4 speeding tickets and 2 seatbelt violations on my 5 year record when I applied 1.5 years ago and was approved with a basic good cause.

Kid Stanislaus
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I had 4 speeding tickets and 2 seatbelt violations on my 5 year record when I applied 1.5 years ago and was approved with a basic good cause.

That's very incouraging. :)

Kid Stanislaus
02-09-2011, 4:30 PM
I got a call from the Stanislaus PD about my application. He asked several questions, one of which was if I thought I needed more protection than the average citizen and I answered that I did not but I thought people were foolish if they thought the did not need protection from criminals. I made it clear that "personal protection" was my only good cause. He made it a point to say that a CCW was a privilige and not a right and wanted to make sure I understood that. This was not the Sheriff, he was very friendly and I can't really make any determination from the conversation as to whether or not he'll tell the Sheriff + or - on me.

wildhawker
02-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I got a call from the Stanislaus PD about my application. He asked several questions, one of which was if I thought I needed more protection than the average citizen and I answered that I did not but I thought people were foolish if they thought the did not need protection from criminals. I made it clear that "personal protection" was my only good cause. He made it a point to say that a CCW was a privilige and not a right and wanted to make sure I understood that. This was not the Sheriff, he was very friendly and I can't really make any determination from the conversation as to whether or not he'll tell the Sheriff + or - on me.

I'm hearing some interesting things from Stanislaus. We'll continue to monitor and please do keep us apprised of outcomes.

Kid Stanislaus
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
PIGS CAN FLY!!!My CCW has been approved and I pick it up Mon. morn. THANK YOU CGF!:jump::party:

wildhawker
02-25-2011, 1:49 PM
PIGS CAN FLY!!!My CCW has been approved and I pick it up Mon. morn. THANK YOU CGF!:jump::party:

Congrats! :D

zum
02-25-2011, 3:09 PM
thats great news Kid Stanislaus

so what was the total damage $ that was forked over?

The Geologist
02-25-2011, 4:58 PM
Congratulations Kid. I'll be picking mine up on Monday too. Fee of $80.

tabrisnet
02-25-2011, 5:04 PM
What of other costs? Class/training and LiveScan, etc ?

Kid Stanislaus
02-25-2011, 5:40 PM
thats great news Kid Stanislaus

so what was the total damage $ that was forked over?

I've forgotten what I paid them when I went down to apply but tomorrow its another $80.

Kid Stanislaus
02-25-2011, 5:42 PM

The training class, if I remember correctly, was $85 and I've lost track of the other costs. It was not so much on my income that I gave it a lot of thought.

wildhawker
02-25-2011, 5:45 PM

Unsure on the training, but the fees are predictable.

$95 DOJ
$100 Local
$35 Fingerprinting (IIRC)

Kid Stanislaus
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Welll, I'm a happy camper, my CCW is in my wallet and I'm duely regarded as a trustworthy member of Stanislaus society!:cool:

JuzDuky
02-28-2011, 5:39 PM
Welll, I'm a happy camper, my CCW is in my wallet and I'm duely regarded as a trustworthy member of Stanislaus society!:cool:

Congratulations on the CCW success, Kid!

Kid Stanislaus
02-28-2011, 5:50 PM
Congratulations on the CCW success, Kid!

I just want to be sure the Sheriff gets credit for standing by his campaign promise. I know there are other problems with the Stan. Co. CCW program but the man stood in there and did not weasel out. ;)

Drawman
03-03-2011, 7:13 AM
I was told the application fee was $115.00 and another $80.00 when you pick the permit up. My class was $125.00 so the total out of pocket would be $320.00

G17GUY
03-03-2011, 9:22 PM
I was told the application fee was $115.00 and another $80.00 when you pick the permit up. My class was $125.00 so the total out of pocket would be $320.00

When were you told this?

Kid Stanislaus
03-04-2011, 12:15 AM

I my memory is worth anything at all that sounds about right for what I paid.

crazy4golf
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Wondering if anyone has done this already? Received my permit last year but after carrying for a bit have decided I need to retool the 3 guns. If you have done and can let me know how long it took and the process that would be great.

wildhawker
03-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Wondering if anyone has done this already? Received my permit last year but after carrying for a bit have decided I need to retool the 3 guns. If you have done and can let me know how long it took and the process that would be great.

You are not limited to three guns. No statutory authority exists for the licensing authority to limit the number of firearms to three. Indeed, the very DOJ Standard Application form - which has three lines for the Make, Model, Caliber and Serial No. of firearms to be associated with the license (if issued) – allows for more than three firearms to be submitted initially (let alone via amendment). It states:

List below the weapons you desire to carry if granted a CCW. You may carry concealed only the weapon(s) which you list and describe herein, and only for the purpose indicated. Any misuse will cause an automatic revocation and possible arrest. (Use additional pages if necessary.) (emphasis added.)

More, the State's standard amendment form (entitled "Modification of License to Carry Concealed Firearm", form no. BCIA 4502) contains a section to "add" or "delete" firearms associated to the license - indicating that both are not only possible, but expected in the State’s consideration of same.

With respect to the amendment process, per the Penal Code:

26175. (a) (1) Applications for licenses, applications for
amendments to licenses, amendments to licenses, and licenses under
this article shall be uniform throughout the state, upon forms to be
prescribed by the Attorney General.
(e) Applications for amendments to licenses shall be filed in
writing and signed by the applicant, and shall state what type of
amendment is sought pursuant to Section 26215 and the reason for
desiring the amendment.
(f) The forms shall contain a provision whereby the applicant
attests to the truth of statements contained in the application.

26215. (a) A person issued a license pursuant to this article may
apply to the licensing authority for an amendment to the license to
do one or more of the following:
(1) Add or delete authority to carry a particular pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
person.
(2) Authorize the licensee to carry concealed a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) If the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons
according to the most recent federal decennial census, authorize the
licensee to carry loaded and exposed in only that county a pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
person.
(4) Change any restrictions or conditions on the license,
including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and
circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or
other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(b) If the licensing authority amends the license, a new license
shall be issued to the licensee reflecting the amendments.
(c) An amendment to the license does not extend the original
expiration date of the license and the license shall be subject to
renewal at the same time as if the license had not been amended.
(d) An application to amend a license does not constitute an
application for renewal of the license.

The Geologist
03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Do you have a link for obtaining the 4502 form?

wildhawker
03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
That form is, IIRC, in the Stanislaus document package at www.gotcarry.org. If not, I'll see if I can get a copy from DOJ on Monday.

hardway
03-07-2011, 7:39 AM
I have added and removed guns a couple times...No cost IIRC. You just call Connie, tell her what you want to do, provide serial #'s, etc. and she will schedule an appointment. When you go in for your appointment, she will have a new permit printed up and ready to go. No big deal.

Drawman
03-13-2011, 4:34 PM
When were you told this?

when I scheduled my appointment, about 2 weeks ago.

hardway
03-14-2011, 6:07 PM
I just did my renewal about 2 weeks ago. At my initial appt I paid $60, when I went in to pick up my permit there was an additional $20 fee. No livescan and all of this occured post training....I tried but Connie told me I had to do my renewal training prior to schedualing an appt. Keep applying guys.....More words of encouragment........When I did my initial app a couple years ago the investigator asked me what I had been arrested for 5-6 years prior? What a shock! I told him that I had never been arrested for anything and his reply was " These computers are a joke". Best he and I could figure was it had something to do with one of my old speeding tickets since it did'nt have any additional booking/charges or conviction info attached to it.

Moral of the story, Dont think a ccw is out of reach...just go apply. The more of us the better.

r08ert209cali
03-20-2011, 6:20 PM
plan on taking a class in the next few weeks.
do you need a valid dl?

Kid Stanislaus
03-20-2011, 6:41 PM
ro8ert209cali tells us: "I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks."

Peace is a wonderful thing!!

Maverick831
04-23-2011, 6:45 PM
I just moved to Newman in Stanislaus County. I'm really interested in getting my ccw. I just want to pointed into the right direction of going forward with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or the right steps to go through with this?

Kid Stanislaus
04-23-2011, 7:25 PM
I just moved to Newman in Stanislaus County. I'm really interested in getting my ccw. I just want to pointed into the right direction of going forward with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or the right steps to go through with this?

The word now is that you'll wait SEVEN MONTHS for an interview.:mad: I took my class first and then applied back in February and the whole thing wrapped up in less than a month. There does not appear to be any movement in this situation but we never know what's going on behind the scene. Wish i could be more encouraging.

ckebottle
05-17-2011, 7:54 PM
The word now is that you'll wait SEVEN MONTHS for an interview.:mad: I took my class first and then applied back in February and the whole thing wrapped up in less than a month. There does not appear to be any movement in this situation but we never know what's going on behind the scene. Wish i could be more encouraging.

Hoping to get into the class at WTS on Monday and through my communication with them, SO sheriff's dept is extremely back logged. Guessing by the time I call to make my appointment, I will be scheduled for sometime in 2012.

Drawman
05-26-2011, 7:04 AM
Ok, here is my time line. Took class Feb. 26. Called for appointment Feb 28. Appointment April 27. Phone Interview May 12 (or so). Picked up permit May 26.

Everyone at the Sherriff Office was very professional and helpful. Thanks for all the hard work CGF.

Kid Stanislaus
05-26-2011, 7:44 PM
Congratulations Drawman. Do you plan to carry as often as you can or are there just special times you'll be pack'n?

Drawman
05-27-2011, 7:58 AM
Congratulations Drawman. Do you plan to carry as often as you can or are there just special times you'll be pack'n?

Often as I can :) but my work place does not allow firearms......so....

Kid Stanislaus
05-27-2011, 5:26 PM
Often as I can :) but my work place does not allow firearms......so....

I'm in the same boat.

cj1026
05-27-2011, 7:02 PM
So next week I'm moving to Riverbank.
One of the things on my list of things to do is get my CCW. Should I call for an appointment 1st then when I get a date take my class? Or take the class then call?
Also do any of you have info on where to take the class?
Thanks guys.

G17GUY
05-27-2011, 11:02 PM
One of the things on my list of things to do is get my CCW. Should I call for an appointment 1st then when I get a date take my class? Or take the class then call?
Thanks guys.

http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/

This class is well worth the drive up the hill.

Kid Stanislaus
05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Yes indeed.

cj1026
05-28-2011, 7:30 AM

This class is well worth the drive up the hill.

Yes indeed.

Thanks guys. I'll call them Tuesday.

Drawman
05-31-2011, 7:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Technically, I think you should be able to schedule an appointment before you take your class, but they would not let me do that, so I would just take a class then schedule an appointment with the Sherriff Office. The process will take awhile.

There are several qualified places to take the class as the one offered above, I took mine from http://www.tridentfirearmsacademy.com/

darkwater
07-10-2011, 8:18 PM
Possible changes ahead for Turlock, and Tracy. I know that Calguns at least sent a Sunshine letter to Turlock PD, but it doesn't sound like anything changed yet. Perhaps this will help Turlock?

http://www.turlockcitynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1777: city-of-tracy-looks-to-hire-resigning-turlock-police-chief&catid=44:news&Itemid=26

G17GUY
07-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Possible changes ahead for Turlock, and Tracy. I know that Calguns at least sent a Sunshine letter to Turlock PD, but it doesn't sound like anything changed yet. Perhaps this will help Turlock?

http://www.turlockcitynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1777: city-of-tracy-looks-to-hire-resigning-turlock-police-chief&catid=44:news&Itemid=26

Stanislaus county sheriff is issuing permits; this includes turlock residents. However reports of applications indirectly not being accepted due to no available current appointments seem to be an issue.

ItsPhipps
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Ok... Here's my CCW story and hopefully it helps you guys out.

(Note: I've had my CCW for a few months now so timelines are probably a little bit longer)

So, when initially making the decision to apply for my permit, I took all the necessary steps to have things in order. I got all the information from Brandon and knew basically what needed to be done.

The First Call

On my first call, I tried to play hardball and get them to follow the rules. Some of the rules that they are breaking -- according to the law -- are the initial fees and requiring that you take a CCW class before scheduling an appt with them.

I tried reading them the laws as they're written but they wouldn't budge. I wanted to get my CCW so I caved and followed their rules instead of fighting it too hard.

I caved an they told me to take the class and call back once I was done to schedule an appointment.

Tip: Be friendly and don't try to teach them the law because they won't budge and you might piss somebody off. Let Calguns fight that battle when the time is right

The CCW Class

So when going to schedule a class, I noticed that EVERYBODY was full. Booked for weeks, and months in some cases. The only place that I could find a class was at Weapons Training School.

This was an excellent class. They were very friendly, extremely helpful, and surprisingly relaxed with guns. Just about every firearms class that I've been to had very uptight instructors, but these guys were not like that at all. And they pride themselves in this.

I really recommend the quick trip to Jamestown to take their class. As far as the other, more local, classes go. I've heard nothing but good things about them too from people who have gone to them. Judging by how busy they were when I was looking for a class, I'm sure they're top notch too.

Scheduling The Appointment

After I took the CCW class, I immediately called to make an appointment. This was good because the class is good for 90 days and my appt was scheduled for 89 days out.

Be sure to call and make an appointment as soon as you finish your CCW class.

They asked if I had completed the CCW application and a few other questions. Here's how I answered -- along with the legally "proper" answers that I was given by Brandon.

a. Q: Are you a resident of Stanislaus County? A: Yes.

b. Q. Is your residence address current with the DMV? A: Yes.

c. Q. If your gun registered in the current DOJ system in your or your spouse’s name? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: I’m not sure, but the registration status of the listed handguns is immaterial to this application. The statutes surrounding carry permits, and applications for carry permits, do not require registration and the State has expressly preempted the field of firearm registration.)

d. Q: Have your completed your firearm training? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: Answer as appropriate. If no, be sure to state that you will do so within 90 days as outlined in the Sheriff’s policy.)

e. Q: Do you need your CCW for employment purposes? A: No.

f. Q: Do you own a business? A: My status as a business owner isn’t material to this application because I’m not seeking an employment-based CCW.

g. Q: Are you a BSIS card holder? A: No

(NOTE: Only respond as per the above if it is accurate and truthful. Always give truthful answers or remain silent. If you could not answer per the above truthfully, let me know and we’ll determine the appropriate way to proceed for your circumstances.)

After answering the questions, they went ahead and scheduled my appt. The wait felt like it was taking forever, but then I got a call from the Sheriffs Dept. They had a cancelled appointment and asked if I could make it about 15 days before my previously scheduled one. You can guess what I said :).

The Initial Appointment

The initial appointment was pretty simple.

Bring in a completed CCW application, proof of CCW class, get finger printed, and pay up sucka. I had everything fully completed and ready to turn in.

My good cause was "Personal Propection outside the home" and the total fee this visit was $115.00 They accept check or credit if I remember correctly. No food stamps allowed ;).

**This Part Is Important**

One of the things they asked me while I was at the first appointment was "Is this a work related CCW?" I told them no and they asked me to write that on the application.

I'm not sure how I should have gone about this. It was not work related so I was telling the truth but should I have told them "no" when they asked me to write that on the application? Did they do this to anybody else?

Moving on.

At the end of the appointment, they told me that it would be several weeks before I hear a yes or no, and that I would get a call or visit from a Sheriff for a quick interview.

Tip: Be friendly and dress well. Don't come in with a bad attitude or looking like a bum. This is your first impression so don't screw it up.

Interview From The Sheriff

The wait was agonizing but not as long as I expected.

A few weeks later I got a call from the Sheriff for an over-the-phone interview. He was a friendly guy and I didn't feel like he was trying to trick me or anything crazy.

He just asked a few simple questions about my past, about how I feel about guns, etc. I answered honestly, friendly, and respectfully. It really sounded like he simply wanted to make sure I wasn't insane. He said thank you and ended the call.

Finally, a few weeks later...

Tip: Again, be friendly and don't get overly nervous. Don't try to dodge questions or sound suspicious. They're just trying to make sure that you're not a goofball.

My CCW Got Approved!!!

They approved my CCW and I made a B line for the Sheriffs office. Once I got there it was time to pay up again. Eighty more dollars and they handed me my permit.

Total Fees: $115.00 (initial app and fingerprinting) + $80 (To get the card) = $195 plus whatever your CCW course costs.

Not all was good though.

They put a restriction on my CCW stating that the CCW is "NOT VALID DURING THE COURSE AND SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT WITH XXXXX REALTY."

That sucks because even though I wasn't going for a work related permit, going in and out of vacant homes is probably one of the most likely times that I'll need it.

Now I'm not sure why they put this restriction which brings me to...

Some Questions That I Have For The Pro's

1. What should have I done -- and what should others do -- when they asked me to write "Not a work related permit" on my CCW application?

2. Do you think that was the reason for them putting the restriction on my CCW?

3. Is there any way that I can get the restriction removed?

4. Has anybody else run into the same problem?

I hope my detailed overview of the process helps to answer some questions. I also hope that it encourages more people to go apply.

Now that there aren't any unknown's regarding the process, are you going to get off the fence -- like I did -- and go apply?

ItsPhipps
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
I forgot to subscribe to this thread and don't know how to do it without a new reply... You can delete this.

Write Winger
09-12-2011, 8:26 PM
I am only going on speculation here, but many employers strictly forbid the carrying of weapons, and by stating it wasn't for work explicitly means you won't and cannot carry during work relations... say if you ever DID have to use it while at work.

To remove that from your CCW, first call the sherriff's Dept and ask, and second, it might nit be a bad idea to see what your company policies are regarding firearms. If your superiors are cool, get a letter stating so.

Not sure if anything I said will help, but it's a start from a layman.

ItsPhipps
09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
...many employers strictly forbid the carrying of weapons...

Luckily, the owner of my real estate office has no problems with me carrying and has no rules against it at all. In fact, she actually said she feels better if I DO carry.

Now, my understanding is that, if I have permission, then I'm allowed to carry at my place of business correct -- or office? The problem for me comes when I'm out of the office and showing homes. It sounds like doing this while carrying would be in violation of my CCW, even if I had permission, since it isn't at the office.

To remove that from your CCW, first call the sherriff's Dept and ask, and second, it might nit be a bad idea to see what your company policies are regarding firearms. If your superiors are cool, get a letter stating so.

Not sure if anything I said will help, but it's a start from a layman.

This sounds like the best way to go about it. I really like the idea of getting a letter stating that my company has no policies against legally carrying a firearm. I'm going to give it a shot.

Kid Stanislaus
09-29-2011, 4:28 PM
Once my house sells I will be moving to Turlock. I am looking forward to applying for my CCW once I meet the residency requirement.

You'll be welcomed with open arms!! Let us know when you make the move.

wildhawker
10-01-2011, 2:54 PM
Check this out, Stanislaus!

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/blog/entry/stanislaus-county-carry-license-records-for-cgfs-ltc-sunshine-initiative-2011-audit-just-showed-up.html

Kid Stanislaus
10-01-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm curious about why a lot of energy is being expended in a county that is, for all practical purposes, "shall issue".

wildhawker
10-01-2011, 5:06 PM
I'm curious about why a lot of energy is being expended in a county that is, for all practical purposes, "shall issue".

Stanislaus is not "shall-issue" and doesn't, apparently, consider applicants' rights of self defense and due process things worth making a priority. Until it and every licensing authority is de jure "shall-issue", and respectful of constitutional limits on time, costs, and other burdens, we'll continue with our Initiative efforts.

Our audits are of every county, and that's one reason we've successfully argued (in court) that our requests are not intended to be "harassing", and that our interest in the records is substantiated by the broad public interest of offering data for authorities across the state by an organization (CGF) that offers itself as a statewide org.

Stanislaus, while better than some others, has a number of policy and procedures which need to be remedied. To the extent that remains true, so goes my interest in their system.

-Brandon

Kid Stanislaus
10-03-2011, 5:58 AM
Curiosity satisfied, thank you!

Drawman
10-10-2011, 8:46 PM
Ok... Here's my CCW story and hopefully it helps you guys out.

(Note: I've had my CCW for a few months now so timelines are probably a little bit longer)

So, when initially making the decision to apply for my permit, I took all the necessary steps to have things in order. I got all the information from Brandon and knew basically what needed to be done.

The First Call

On my first call, I tried to play hardball and get them to follow the rules. Some of the rules that they are breaking -- according to the law -- are the initial fees and requiring that you take a CCW class before scheduling an appt with them.

I tried reading them the laws as they're written but they wouldn't budge. I wanted to get my CCW so I caved and followed their rules instead of fighting it too hard.

I caved an they told me to take the class and call back once I was done to schedule an appointment.

Tip: Be friendly and don't try to teach them the law because they won't budge and you might piss somebody off. Let Calguns fight that battle when the time is right

The CCW Class

So when going to schedule a class, I noticed that EVERYBODY was full. Booked for weeks, and months in some cases. The only place that I could find a class was at Weapons Training School.

This was an excellent class. They were very friendly, extremely helpful, and surprisingly relaxed with guns. Just about every firearms class that I've been to had very uptight instructors, but these guys were not like that at all. And they pride themselves in this.

I really recommend the quick trip to Jamestown to take their class. As far as the other, more local, classes go. I've heard nothing but good things about them too from people who have gone to them. Judging by how busy they were when I was looking for a class, I'm sure they're top notch too.

Scheduling The Appointment

After I took the CCW class, I immediately called to make an appointment. This was good because the class is good for 90 days and my appt was scheduled for 89 days out.

Be sure to call and make an appointment as soon as you finish your CCW class.

They asked if I had completed the CCW application and a few other questions. Here's how I answered -- along with the legally "proper" answers that I was given by Brandon.

a. Q: Are you a resident of Stanislaus County? A: Yes.

b. Q. Is your residence address current with the DMV? A: Yes.

c. Q. If your gun registered in the current DOJ system in your or your spouse’s name? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: I’m not sure, but the registration status of the listed handguns is immaterial to this application. The statutes surrounding carry permits, and applications for carry permits, do not require registration and the State has expressly preempted the field of firearm registration.)

d. Q: Have your completed your firearm training? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: Answer as appropriate. If no, be sure to state that you will do so within 90 days as outlined in the Sheriff’s policy.)

e. Q: Do you need your CCW for employment purposes? A: No.

f. Q: Do you own a business? A: My status as a business owner isn’t material to this application because I’m not seeking an employment-based CCW.

g. Q: Are you a BSIS card holder? A: No

(NOTE: Only respond as per the above if it is accurate and truthful. Always give truthful answers or remain silent. If you could not answer per the above truthfully, let me know and we’ll determine the appropriate way to proceed for your circumstances.)

After answering the questions, they went ahead and scheduled my appt. The wait felt like it was taking forever, but then I got a call from the Sheriffs Dept. They had a cancelled appointment and asked if I could make it about 15 days before my previously scheduled one. You can guess what I said :).

The Initial Appointment

The initial appointment was pretty simple.

Bring in a completed CCW application, proof of CCW class, get finger printed, and pay up sucka. I had everything fully completed and ready to turn in.

My good cause was "Personal Propection outside the home" and the total fee this visit was $115.00 They accept check or credit if I remember correctly. No food stamps allowed ;).

**This Part Is Important**

One of the things they asked me while I was at the first appointment was "Is this a work related CCW?" I told them no and they asked me to write that on the application.

I'm not sure how I should have gone about this. It was not work related so I was telling the truth but should I have told them "no" when they asked me to write that on the application? Did they do this to anybody else?

Moving on.

At the end of the appointment, they told me that it would be several weeks before I hear a yes or no, and that I would get a call or visit from a Sheriff for a quick interview.

Tip: Be friendly and dress well. Don't come in with a bad attitude or looking like a bum. This is your first impression so don't screw it up.

Interview From The Sheriff

The wait was agonizing but not as long as I expected.

A few weeks later I got a call from the Sheriff for an over-the-phone interview. He was a friendly guy and I didn't feel like he was trying to trick me or anything crazy.

He just asked a few simple questions about my past, about how I feel about guns, etc. I answered honestly, friendly, and respectfully. It really sounded like he simply wanted to make sure I wasn't insane. He said thank you and ended the call.

Finally, a few weeks later...

Tip: Again, be friendly and don't get overly nervous. Don't try to dodge questions or sound suspicious. They're just trying to make sure that you're not a goofball.

My CCW Got Approved!!!

They approved my CCW and I made a B line for the Sheriffs office. Once I got there it was time to pay up again. Eighty more dollars and they handed me my permit.

Total Fees: $115.00 (initial app and fingerprinting) + $80 (To get the card) = $195 plus whatever your CCW course costs.

Not all was good though.

They put a restriction on my CCW stating that the CCW is "NOT VALID DURING THE COURSE AND SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT WITH XXXXX REALTY."

That sucks because even though I wasn't going for a work related permit, going in and out of vacant homes is probably one of the most likely times that I'll need it.

Now I'm not sure why they put this restriction which brings me to...

Some Questions That I Have For The Pro's

1. What should have I done -- and what should others do -- when they asked me to write "Not a work related permit" on my CCW application?

2. Do you think that was the reason for them putting the restriction on my CCW?

3. Is there any way that I can get the restriction removed?

4. Has anybody else run into the same problem?

I hope my detailed overview of the process helps to answer some questions. I also hope that it encourages more people to go apply.

Now that there aren't any unknown's regarding the process, are you going to get off the fence -- like I did -- and go apply?

Congrats on the CCW. Your experience documented was my experience exactly (with the exception of where I received training) I also received a restriction on mine concerning carry at work. My job does not allow guns in the workplace...period, so I didn't really have a problem with it.

I do remember a question the sheriff asked me.."do you need to carry in the comission of your employment?" I answered "no", thus the restriction. I'm wondering if I had answered "yes", if the following questions might have been different? Wonder if they might restrict to carry only while on your job?
I will tip my cap to the Stan Co Sheriff office, the human experience was excellent, very professional and helpful. I do know they are very short staffed (no an excuse for them, just an observation) but they do make the experience less of a pain the butt than alot of other government interactions. Now if CGF can just take on DMV......:D

Kid Stanislaus
10-11-2011, 7:51 PM
I don't get this business of putting on restrictions regarding place of work. I got asked the same question when I applied and said "No" and got no restrictions. Strange.

HowardW56
02-17-2012, 7:53 AM
Stanislaus County Good Cause statements, CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/138-stanislaus)

zum
02-17-2012, 9:13 AM
going to take my CCW course :)

also heard from a LEO that the sheriff is wanting to make the CCW training requirement a 16hr course (currently its 8hrs)

anyone eles heard this! or is it FUD?

Kid Stanislaus
02-17-2012, 8:49 PM
going to take my CCW course on the 3rd :)
also heard from a LEO that the sheriff is wanting to make the CCW training requirement a 16hr course (currently its 8hrs) anyone eles heard this! or is it FUD?

If you heard it from a flatfoot its probably FUD!:p

zum
02-18-2012, 3:11 PM
double post sorry...

zum
02-18-2012, 3:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/zumnwrx/4bbc98af.jpg

guess it was true

wildhawker
02-18-2012, 4:36 PM
I'll be asking the SCSO.

Veggie
03-01-2012, 1:22 AM
I need to get mine done as soon as I get called to return to work.

Llengih
03-01-2012, 8:59 PM
Man, I dropped off my application on January 9th and still haven't gotten my phone interview. Is anyone else experiencing an extremely long wait time for the call?

I'm wondering if they lost my application.

G17GUY
03-01-2012, 9:21 PM
I'll be asking the SCSO.

http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=30

RENEWAL QUESTIONAIRE states 16 hours.

Is a state application a requirement for renewal?

The Geologist
03-02-2012, 7:15 PM
16 Hrs. for exposed firearm, as in loaded open carry??? The form is a bit confusing.

G17GUY
03-03-2012, 8:54 PM
16 Hrs. for exposed firearm, as in loaded open carry??? The form is a bit confusing.

whoa, good catch. I didn't see that. I don't think this form can even be a requirement.

zum
03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
appointments are 4+ months out :(

just reserved my appointment yesterday

www.scsdonline.com/ccwappointment

Nor-Cal
03-05-2012, 1:19 PM
I'm sure glad I went thru all this late last year and didn't have to wait 3+ months for just a appointment!

S&W629Lover
03-07-2012, 9:43 PM
Glad you guys have been posting here about the delays in appointments. I'm up for renewal in September and made my appointment in July, that was the first available slot. Should be enough time, but wouldn't have caught it if you guys weren't posting here...

zum
03-07-2012, 9:56 PM
ive got a question for everyone here...

i was looking over the application and following the EXAMPLES given in the calguns.org PDF. file and was wondering if some of you that have went thru the process could answer some questions i have

the application says the following quoted below:

• Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
• Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless
specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.

did you have to respond to these sections orally? or did they except these sections pre filled out with the answers typed in?

im kinda nervous about having to orally recite these entry's with all that legal verbiage that calguns suggests in answering these questions :(

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

--- see PDF. pages 5-15-16-17

alfred1222
03-17-2012, 2:37 PM
I have a question, if i only live in turlock part of the year, but the house there is mine, can i apply for a CCW there??

zum
03-17-2012, 8:31 PM
I have a question, if i only live in turlock part of the year, but the house there is mine, can i apply for a CCW there??

be careful lieing about residency is a Felony IIRC and is not taken lightly

so be sure to tread lightly.

good luck

StanCo
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
ive got a question for everyone here...

i was looking over the application and following the EXAMPLES given in the calguns.org PDF. file and was wondering if some of you that have went thru the process could answer some questions i have

the application says the following quoted below:
• Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
• Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless
specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.

did you have to respond to these sections orally? or did they except these sections pre filled out with the answers typed in?

im kinda nervous about having to orally recite these entry's with all that legal verbiage that calguns suggests in answering these questions :(

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf

--- see PDF. pages 5-15-16-17My appointment at the Stanislaus SO was yesterday and I wasn’t sure about this myself. I took two applications in with me. One had section 7 blank and the other had section 7 filled out. It turns out that they wanted the application with section 7 filled out.

zum
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
My appointment at the Stanislaus SO was yesterday and I wasn’t sure about this myself. I took two applications in with me. One had section 7 blank and the other had section filled out. It turns out that they wanted the application with section 7 filled out.

THANK YOU so much for replying! silly I've been sweating this minor detail haha. so what did they have to say about all the legal verbiage?

Standard
03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Almost time for me to renew mine. It's been a good almost 2 years of CCWing :)
I need to call to see what's required to renew at this point.

Kid Stanislaus
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Almost time for me to renew mine. It's been a good almost 2 years of CCWing :)
I need to call to see what's required to renew at this point.

Keep us posted.

Standard
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Called in last week to set up a renewal appointment - They scheduled me for early June, which is nice as my CCW expires in July.
$57 to renew + $20 fee when approved. May take the renewal course (4 hours) before or after you are approved.
They also said that appointments for new applications are now in December, and require a 16 hour course.

welchy
04-22-2012, 5:28 PM
Called in last week to set up a renewal appointment - They scheduled me for early June, which is nice as my CCW expires in July.
$57 to renew + $20 fee when approved. May take the renewal course (4 hours) before or after you are approved.
They also said that appointments for new applications are now in December, and require a 16 hour course.

16 Hours is only required if you take your training after July 1st, regardless of when your appointment is. I called and asked.

Standard
04-23-2012, 8:18 AM
16 Hours is only required if you take your training after July 1st, regardless of when your appointment is. I called and asked.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Though the training is only good for 90 days, so if you haven't done it yet, expect to be required to take the 16 hour course.

welchy
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
They waive the 90 requirement because they know they are taking too long to give appointments. If you can get into a class before July 1st do it.

dagtwo
06-04-2012, 9:46 AM
So far so good. Wife and I turned in application on May 16th and had phone interviews today. Interview was painless. Deputy was polite and seemed genuine. Said I would probably have a restriction of "not during course of employment", but I work on a federal installation so doesn't both me too much. Got fingers crossed. We have not had CCW class yet but have it scheduled for the 18th.

Side story: Scheduled appt online many months ago. Put it in my calendar for 0900. Sitting on toilet at 0810 happened to read my email and saw appt was for 0800-0900. Luckily I was already on toilet when said "oh $h**!" I immediately went online to see the next available appt. Apr 3rd!!!!! Said "oh $h**!" again (still on toilet) Finished up and then called up the office. Told them I missed my appt but I can be there in 20 minutes or come in with my wife at her 1200 appt. Luckily the clerk said that 1200 would be better for her anyway. *big sigh of relief*

To make things worse, our babysitter fell through. We had to take a 23 month old and a 3 month old with us. Went to the wrong building first. Ended up being late. Didnt fill out sections 5,6, and 7 (cause it said to do it in the presence of the interviewing deputy) but the clerk said it should have been done. Then my wife's paperwork got mixed with mine while the clerk was going through it frustrating her and she'd told us to fix it then let her know when it was done and she'd come back. So she wasn't very pleased with us as applicants. But things got better later after talking with her about her grandkids.

I cant say the experience was bad cause we're the ones that caused the delays.

Will post with updates... Thanks CalGuns

Hdawg
06-05-2012, 3:16 PM
For various reasons, mostly because of not being able to take the training due to scheduling problems, I have been putting off applying for my LTC. Today I discovered that I could schedule my appointment with the SO online and I could do it before I took the class. Before, I was told by the SO that I had to take the class first. That's the good news part. The bad news is that I took the first available appointment and it is June 17, 2013. I thought it was a mistake at first, so I double checked the online calendar they have. I have to wait over a year just to turn in my application; then I get to wait for 3 months for it to be processed. :sigh:

I do have a question. If I can get my training before July 1st,does it still have to be 16 hours?

welchy
06-05-2012, 4:43 PM
No, only 8 hours.

Hdawg
06-06-2012, 1:09 AM
So if I take the class this month, I only need the eight hour class, but will it still count in a year when my appointment is scheduled (June 17, 2013)?

welchy
06-06-2012, 1:06 PM
Yes.

Veggie
07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
With the situation in Stockton, where I work, going to get worse. I think it is time to get off my butt and get my LTC. How are things in Stanislaus right now?

DRAB_81
07-26-2012, 1:20 PM
Cost aside, which company gives the best LTC course? My dad needs to go to one, and he wants to get the most out of it. He doesn't want to just sit through a few hours of some guy telling war stories just to fill the requirement. He wants to actually get something out of it.

LFI, Trident, Valley Defense, Sintex, Schells?

G17GUY
07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Cost aside, which company gives the best LTC course? My dad needs to go to one, and he wants to get the most out of it. He doesn't want to just sit through a few hours of some guy telling war stories just to fill the requirement. He wants to actually get something out of it.

LFI, Trident, Valley Defense, Sintex, Schells?

Wts

Weaponstrainingschool.com

DRAB_81
07-29-2012, 8:05 PM
Wts

Weaponstrainingschool.com

I think that's the way we're leaning.

Anyone tried to make an appt with the Sherrif's office lately? My pops just tried online, and it said nothing was available through the end of 2013...

gmcal
08-26-2012, 3:15 PM
I think that's the way we're leaning.

Anyone tried to make an appt with the Sherrif's office lately? My pops just tried online, and it said nothing was available through the end of 2013...

Just scheduled an appt for myself and my wife on July 5, 2013. There were some appointments available in June.

I've taken 3 classes with WTS and will likely take my CCW class with them as well. I recommend them highly.

Jason95357
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
There have been at least 5 violent deaths within blocks of my house. 3 were shot near where we enter the bike trails, 1 by the JHS bridge we cross all the time when we finish at Claus Rd, and 1 was the recent stabbing of a 18 year old MJC student walking with his GF, literally hours after my wife and all our kids were at the park and I was out of state at a conference for work. We're both going to get trained, and per a co-working, we've already scheduled an appointment for our CCW applications.

For those that might be considering - apply online now at the Stanislaus Sherriff's Office online (or in person) as the wait is 15 months as of Feb, 2013. That's right - our application appointments are set for the soonest slots available in June, 2014. You can always cancel your CCW application appointment if you decide not to pursue (they give you a code to cancel it).

tylersdad
02-16-2013, 8:30 AM
Can somebody whi's been through the orivess recently tell me how long it typically takes after fingerprint and application drop off for a detective to contact an applicant for an interview?

harley66
02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Confirmed on the June 2014 date / better get in line now/ takes but a few min on lune to get an app date

JohanD
02-21-2013, 9:04 PM
Is it legal to have the ccw appointments so far out?

harley66
02-21-2013, 9:19 PM
Is it legal to have the ccw appointments so far out?

why would it be against the Law??? They do CCW's M,W,F all day long -

Hdawg
02-23-2013, 5:17 PM
My appointment to drop off my LTC application was moved up a few months ago to March 13th so it is only a couple of weeks away. Is the sheriff still issuing based upon personal protection? Should I get a statement from my boss that says that there is no company policy prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms with a valid LTC? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I go to my appointment?

Thanks!

G17GUY
02-23-2013, 5:34 PM
why would it be against the Law??? They do CCW's M,W,F all day long -

Once more people start applying for ccw's, the wait times are going to have to decrease to pass the smell test. If the DMV told you you needed to wait 1.5 years to turn in an application for a license, the hammer would fall.

darkwater
02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Anyone living in Turlock that doesn't want to wait a year or more for an appointment with the Sheriff might try to apply with the Turlock PD. I recently heard that their process takes about a month (because they are only averaging 3-4 applicants per month) and the new Chief who's been there for a year now is not denying the majority of applicants like their old Chief had been.

JohanD
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Once more people start applying for ccw's, the wait times are going to have to decrease to pass the smell test. If the DMV told you you needed to wait 1.5 years to turn in an application for a license, the hammer would fall.

Well put. :cool:

Jason95357
02-27-2013, 9:20 PM
Does anyone know what the new Modesto Police Chief's stand is on CCWs? Yet another home invasion today. Not that a CCW is needed for home protection, but I want to be able to be in the habit of carrying all the time, including in my front yard (unfenced).

As I posted before, I'm 1.5 years out from my CCW application appointment with the Stanislaus Co. Sheriff.

--

Update (Aug 6, 2013) on Policy Chief Policy for City of Modesto CCWs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12002494&posted=1#post12002494): Personal defense it not an acceptable Good Cause. Get in line and wait for Stanislaus Co. Sheriff.

ZNinerFan
03-06-2013, 5:31 AM
Made my appointment online today. Scheduled for my interview on August 8, 2014.

mmayer707
03-06-2013, 2:47 PM
Made my appointment online today. Scheduled for my interview on August 8, 2014.

Heck by then it might be shall issue in every county. LOL :)

G17GUY
03-16-2013, 2:27 PM
I have heard a rumor that the sheriff of Stanislaus County has sent out a letter stating that the training requirements are soon to change. This change will make acceptable courses of training only those within 35 miles of the sheriff department “acceptable”.

tacticalccwgear
03-23-2013, 9:42 PM
Does anyone know the County's policy on off-roster handguns? When I turned in my paperwork I did not add all 3 guns as I want to buy a new carry gun. I was thinking about buying a single shot exemption gun. Has anyone been able to successfully add one of these to their permit? I know that some counties require that the gun be on the current roster. The lady at the appointment said that she would have to make sure all of the guns on my application were ok. I figured that just meant not stolen, but not sure. Thanks

edlacy
03-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Does anyone know the County's policy on off-roster handguns? When I turned in my paperwork I did not add all 3 guns as I want to buy a new carry gun. I was thinking about buying a single shot exemption gun. Has anyone been able to successfully add one of these to their permit? I know that some counties require that the gun be on the current roster. The lady at the appointment said that she would have to make sure all of the guns on my application were ok. I figured that just meant not stolen, but not sure. Thanks

I have an XDM45, an XDs as well as an XD45 on my permit.
No problem, they just have to be registered in your name. :D

harley66
03-24-2013, 7:33 AM
as long as its not an AW - you will be fine. They used to require you to have the gun reg in Your name, not any longer - however, they do try to get you to reg in your name. A standard colt 45 is not on the list (meaning older, prior to 82 - and lots of people have them.

edlacy
03-24-2013, 8:20 AM
as long as its not an AW - you will be fine. They used to require you to have the gun reg in Your name, not any longer - however, they do try to get you to reg in your name. A standard colt 45 is not on the list (meaning older, prior to 82 - and lots of people have them.

Thanks for the updated info.

bbhuang
04-11-2013, 8:47 AM
My driver's license, permanent residence are in Stanislaus, my bills are also sent to my address in Stanislaus. However I go to school in Sacramento and I spend most of my time in Yolo county. How would the sheriff view this and would I need to disclose my apartment in Yolo?

harley66
04-11-2013, 8:57 AM
its always best to be Honest - you could submit your request and just be honest - answer all questions by being honest - may or may not go through - just depends on questions and answers.

IF you Lie to a question and get caught - it will be a deal killer - IF you lie and do not get caught and somewhere in the future you need to use that weapon - you can bet that lie will come back to haunt you big time.

blastin brezzy
05-09-2013, 7:27 PM
hey guys I live in Turlock California and I want to obtain my CCW. the only thing that has me concerned is the good cause I don't really have a cause because I live in back to the police station

darkwater
05-09-2013, 9:04 PM
I don't see a problem...your CCW is not just for around your house near the police station...it's for everywhere else, too. Plus, they are moving the station soon. Ideally, you should be able to just say your good cause is for personal protection, but perhaps realistically, you might look at your own circumstances to see if there is anyone in your past, present or future or anything specific that might want to do you harm (for me it was hiking in remote locations, and needing protection from 4-legged critters, as well as 2-legged ones, but that was not for applying in Turlock or Stanislaus, either). Perhaps someone else will chime in on what might work in your area, but I don't think your proximity to the police station should be an issue.

Jason95357
05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
I have heard a rumor that the sheriff of Stanislaus County has sent out a letter stating that the training requirements are soon to change. This change will make acceptable courses of training only those within 35 miles of the sheriff department “acceptable”.

As linked on the main StanCo Sheriff CCW site (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html), there is a CCW Policy Update 2013-02-27
(http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=51) letter which states the 35 miles effective Aug, 2014. That means WTS (Soulsbyville) will no longer going to be allowed for CCW after Aug, 2014 as they are 60mi+ away from the StanCo Sheriff's office.

While I understand they have to pick some limits, I'd much rather see it be 35 miles from Stanislaus County. WTS would still be in as Knight's Ferry is in Stanislaus Co. and only 30 miles from Soulsbyville (plus, KF used to be the County seat, way back when, hah!).

darkwater
05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
As linked on the main StanCo Sheriff CCW site (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html), there is a CCW Policy Update 2013-02-27
(http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=51) letter which states the 35 miles effective Aug, 2014. That means WTS (Soulsbyville) will no longer going to be allowed for CCW after Aug, 2014 as they are 60mi+ away from the StanCo Sheriff's office.

While I understand they have to pick some limits, I'd much rather see it be 35 miles from Stanislaus County. WTS would still be in as Knight's Ferry is in Stanislaus Co. and only 30 miles from Soulsbyville (plus, KF used to be the County seat, way back when, hah!).

Actually, it does say the classroom and live fire range must be within 35 miles, so you need to go by the address for the facility that WTS uses for CCW classes, which is at the Motherlode Gun Club in Jamestown. The Soulsbyville address is only their mailing address. That makes it a bit closer, but it looks like it's still about 50 miles from StanCo's Sheriff's office. Anyway, that really stinks.

ZNinerFan
06-04-2013, 4:57 AM
Just an FYI.

I heard that the Sheriff's Office is going through all of their records, tossing out anyone with multiple appointments and calling and rescheduling everyone else who has already signed up.

With the additional staff, most of us who have scheduled something should have our appointment within the next 6 months.

This is supposed to happen after 90 days. Their site for CCW is currently down during this rework.

http://www.scsdonline.com/records/ccw-appointment.html

zum
06-10-2013, 9:24 PM
Our area was accepted for a screening in Riverbank's Galaxy 12 for the movie / documentary "Assaulted"

Tugg - Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire in Riverbank, CA on Thursday, June 27, 7:30pm (http://www.tugg.com/events/4549)

share the link.

RSVP today to show your support. We need 85 RSVP tickets sold to make this happen.

https://www.tugg.com/system/images/promo_posters_images/34550/event_grid/19ce014608d8e9dde7f23d5b7ce645d5.jpg?1370899275

Hdawg
06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Today, June 11th, is day 90 since my appointment. I had a phone interview over 30 days ago. What happens if after today I have not received an approval or denial? Should I just keep waiting?

Jason95357
07-31-2013, 1:11 AM
Good news! I got a call yesterday from (209) 558-1282. They wanted to move my appointment up from June, 2014, to Feb, 2014. Just over 6 months to go for me and the Mrs!

Jason95357
08-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Today, June 11th, is day 90 since my appointment. I had a phone interview over 30 days ago. What happens if after today I have not received an approval or denial? Should I just keep waiting?

Any word, Hdawg?

davidly15
08-05-2013, 1:31 PM
Original appointment was scheduled for June 25, 2014. Just got off the phone and my appointment is now March 19, 2014.

ZNinerFan
08-06-2013, 4:31 AM
Got a call yesterday from the Sheriff's office. My August 2014 appointment was moved to April 1, 2014. Still a long ways off but at least 4 months earlier.

Paradactal
08-27-2013, 3:59 PM
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but can somebody define clean background? Does that mean absolutely nothing on their record. I hit a couple bumps in the road in the past( about 10yrs ago) no felonies, and am wondering if that will prevent my CCW from being approved. Is that a judgement call on the sheriffs dept or are their written requirements for what your record must look like? I'm sure many people are in the same situation as I am. My appt is in July 2014 and I just wanted to be as prepared as I need to be.

harley66
08-27-2013, 4:11 PM
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but can somebody define clean background? Does that mean absolutely nothing on their record. I hit a couple bumps in the road in the past( about 10yrs ago) no felonies, and am wondering if that will prevent my CCW from being approved. Is that a judgement call on the sheriffs dept or are their written requirements for what your record must look like? I'm sure many people are in the same situation as I am. My appt is in July 2014 and I just wanted to be as prepared as I need to be.

I will respond with this - a few weeks ago I tuned 1360am radio to hear our Sherriff taking questions. I only got the last question.

"Sherriff will you give me a CCW if I got a DUI 15 years ago and there is nothing else on mr record?"

Sherriff : If you DISCLOSE this and your record is clean afterwards, I will give you a CCW.

So, IF YOU disclose your past AND you have a clean record - it is a good possibility - of course it all denpends on number of issues and what they were and how Lon you have been a good boy

harley66
08-27-2013, 4:14 PM
In re-reading your question.... First Adam has to be re- elected.

And of course - be a good boy in the mean time

But back to June of 14. IF a new Sherriff gets elected - it a crap shoot

Paradactal
08-27-2013, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Jason95357
12-06-2013, 5:58 PM
I downloaded the Stanislaus County Good Cause statements, CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms back on Feb 11, 2013. Since the file is no longer online, I've uploaded it to my own account. If Calguns wants to re-host that file, that'd be great, but in the meantime, here is the 49mb file.

stanislaus_county_ccw_good_cause.pdf (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4573752/stanislaus_county_ccw_good_cause.pdf)

Note that the CCW Policy (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=51) info has changed since then, so you'll want get the latest info direct from the Stanislaus Sheriff CCW webpage (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html).

I'm still curious if my favorite CCW trainer, WTS (http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/), will still be allowed as acceptable CCW training after August, 2014. I suppose if they offer classroom and live fire closer to the Sheriff's Office at 250 E. Hackett Rd, Modesto (yeah, they now specify that exact address as the 35 mile starting point).

Kid Stanislaus
12-26-2013, 5:06 PM
I'm still curious if my favorite CCW trainer, WTS (http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/), will still be allowed as acceptable CCW training after August, 2014. I suppose if they offer classroom and live fire closer to the Sheriff's Office at 250 E. Hackett Rd, Modesto (yeah, they now specify that exact address as the 35 mile starting point).

I guess people training 34 miles from the SO are somehow better?:rolleyes:

Paladin
12-29-2013, 6:57 PM
Anyone living in Turlock that doesn't want to wait a year or more for an appointment with the Sheriff might try to apply with the Turlock PD. I recently heard that their process takes about a month (because they are only averaging 3-4 applicants per month) and the new Chief who's been there for a year now is not denying the majority of applicants like their old Chief had been.Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoops to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.

Lucky beggars! ;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=13083392#post13083392

Kid Stanislaus
12-30-2013, 9:13 PM
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoop to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.

I'm from Oakdale and that was the case when I first got my permit from the SO and to my knowledge that has not changed.:D

Jason95357
01-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. Don't know if there are any additional illegal hoop to jump thru. Just wanted to pass this along. Seems to confirm what I've read on the last two pages of this thread.

Lucky beggars! ;)

Lucky is relative. I mean, sure, I'm glad to get my CalCCW, but since the time I scheduled an appointment (Feb, 2013) I have taken classes for my Utah LTC and Nevada LTC and applied for and been granted both. I applied for my Oregon LTC yesterday and hear those get issued from Klamath Co. in about two weeks. Just seems like it takes way to long here in California, especially when Washington issued my LTC the very next day after I applied, so I know a non-resident background check doesn't take that long. Oh well, just another month or so until I can actually apply for my permit. Then a couple more months while they churn through that laborious background check process(that's sarcasm if you haven't guessed), and then I'll finally have it.

dsltech360
05-12-2014, 2:23 PM
Had my appt. today and gave them the documents and did the live scan and picture. They said the doj/fbi check would take up to 12-13 weeks? Then the background det. would contact me, then if that's all good then I can go get my licence.
Also for everyone in stan. county they are no longer accepting modifications to existing CCW licences. If you want to add a gun or drop you have to wait tell your renew date

davidly15
05-12-2014, 3:16 PM
Had my appt. today and gave them the documents and did the live scan and picture. They said the doj/fbi check would take up to 12-13 weeks? Then the background det. would contact me, then if that's all good then I can go get my licence.
Also for everyone in stan. county they are no longer accepting modifications to existing CCW licences. If you want to add a gun or drop you have to wait tell your renew date

I got my phone interview at 5 weeks from submitting my application.

Kid Stanislaus
05-28-2014, 8:01 PM
For the record, Adam Christiansen's re-election campaign finances are in really good shape and the opposition does not appear to have much of a head of steam.

Paladin
05-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Lucky is relative. I mean, sure, I'm glad to get my CalCCW, ....Did you need more than "self-defense" for "good cause"?

Paladin
05-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Just a fyi for you Stan' folk: there's a thread in OT where people are saying both Stan sheriff and Turlock CoP accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause for a CCW. ...

When I asked in that thread if SD = GC in Stan' SO and Turlock PD, I got these replies:

Yes they do. My buddy got one. In Stanislaus co. He said it took quite awhile, some thing like 6+ months but other than that it was pretty simple.

Yep.

and from this thread after my post above:

I'm from Oakdale and that was the case when I first got my permit from the SO and to my knowledge that has not changed.:D

Last, the sheriff's own policy dated 2013-02-27, under 218.2(f)(1) states that "Self Protection" may establish good cause. (See "CCW Policy" .pdf linked at: http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html)

So, it looks like the sheriff says SD = GC and is actually issuing CCWs with SD = GC. Thus, I'm going to edit the OP to reflect that.

Jason95357
05-29-2014, 5:57 PM
Did you need more than "self-defense" for "good cause"?

Self-Defense=Good Cause for Stanislaus Co. SD. since 2010 when Adam Christianson signed the Madison Society pledge (http://www.madison-society.org/pdfs/articles/20100413-1.pdf) and he was re-elected Sheriff.

harley66
05-29-2014, 7:53 PM
As long as Adam wins next week

welchy
05-31-2014, 1:22 PM
He will, but his opponent is also pro-CCW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

harley66
05-31-2014, 1:38 PM
He will, but his opponent is also pro-CCW.

Ya, and Obama said we would all get free health care..

harley66
05-31-2014, 3:08 PM
Welchy - My only point is - Words and promises are just that - Adam has done what he said and has kept it up - Yes, its slow but the entire SO is understaffed and over worked and a LOT of people are applying for their CCW

welchy
06-01-2014, 1:17 PM
No worries. Christiansen in a landslide. They just added more appointments as well.

Kelster1574
06-01-2014, 6:22 PM
Ya, and Obama said we would all get free health care..

Letras is very Pro Carry, has been for quite some time. He has persuaded not only his girlfriend but several family members to go through the CCW process. So bad example in my opinion.

Jason95357
06-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Stanislaus County CCW Appointments are available as early as Sept 24, 2014. Yes, that's right, only 4 months away for an appointment to be able to apply. It looks like they added appointments (http://www.scsdonline.com/records/ccw-appointment.html) from 2:30pm - 4pm, hence all these openings (4 more slots per day, so 15 total, vs. 11 before). I see this is also opening other appointments on random days here and there (especially starting around Jan, 2015), which my guess is due to folks securing sooner appointments and then cancelling their original appointments which were further out. It'll be interesting to see how things fill out with these new time slots. Prior to this we were seeing the soonest available appointment as June 23, 2015 (12+ months).

Here are some very rough numbers, btw. It appears they only book new appointments M-W. Some of those days are holidays, so instead of saying 55 weeks' worth of appointments (Jun 1, 2014 - June 23, 2015), let's just use an even year's worth of appointments (52 weeks), plus I'm ignoring June - Sept's 4 extra appointment slots that are already filled. 52 weeks x 3 days per week x 11 appointments per day = 1,716 additional people in Stanislaus County who want CCW permits and are waiting to apply. With 15 appointments per day, they gets us down ~38 weeks worth of appointments in the queue (if everyone schedules the soonest available): 1,716 / 15 appointments per day / 3 days per week = 38 weeks. I think the number will hold steady for a long time (if not continue to increase) as more and more people learn they can carry from the folks who are issued permits.

I believe the pressure from the Madison Society and direct inquiries as to why things were taking a year+ has helped get us 4 more appointment slots per day... nothing like an election to motivate. Be sure to vote Tuesday, June 3rd!
--
EDIT: Next available appear to be late Jan/early Feb, 2015. All the new timeslots up to this time appear to be backfilled. Note that there are still a ton of people who kept there original time slots and those still extend pretty solid into May and some June.

harley66
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Letras is very Pro Carry, has been for quite some time. He has persuaded not only his girlfriend but several family members to go through the CCW process. So bad example in my opinion.

My Only point was - politicians often make promises before they are elected (as with Letras) Then when they get in office they often change their minds - of course its never there fault - History is full of them - Now a elected official that has been in office for years and has been signing CCW's - Now that's track record. I know the election is over - I mean no harm to Letras - just that history over rides promise's in my book - Just as my example = make a promise - get elected then fail to preform..

You never really know how someone will act until in office for some time and allow the records to do the talking.. You can bet that if Christianson had pulled back on the CCW's - the people here would have voted very different - as the results showed - it was not even a close race.

harley66
07-12-2014, 4:04 PM
It is time for me to get my training for my re-newel CCW - The regular people I use did not have a class that worked with my schedule - I belong to "Safety first shooting" and was going to be at the range on 7/12 - found out they have a member that does the training 'Defend To Survive' I did not know these instructors or their class - new to me?? Decided to give them a try since the timing was perfect..

Very good class - Great instructors - recommended to anyone who need the NEW or re-newel training... Class is held at the

http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/

great location for those maybe south of Modesto - if you have not ever been to this range.. The best in the area... All on private property and very nice shade trees. Also is open to the public every third Saturday for IDPA and I just learned today open every fourth Saturday Rifle range open to the public.. small fees for the range or IDPA - IDPA Very user friendly and loves NEW shooters...

300 yard rifle range open every so often, contact the club for details

Defend To Survive
Hughson, CA
(209) 542-8542
www.defendtosurvive.com

Jason95357
07-16-2014, 9:13 PM
Reminder, two Stanislaus County CCW acceptable training courses (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=33) will drop off August 1, 2014 per the 35 mi. policy. (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=51)

These are:
LFI (http://www.LFIguns.com), Stockton, CA (47mi)
WTS (http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/), who train near Jamestown off La Grange Rd, CA (43mi) and sometimes at Motherload Gun Club (53mi).

I'm really rather sad to see WTS fall off the list. They're rather convenient for residents of Oakdale and Knights Ferry. Great folks with a great attitude and still worth attending, even if it doesn't get you what you need to Stanislaus CCW training.

redrex
09-30-2014, 7:18 PM
Reminder, two Stanislaus County CCW acceptable training courses (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=33) will drop off August 1, 2014 per the 35 mi. policy. (http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/concealed-weapons-permit.html?download=51)

I'm really rather sad to see WTS fall off the list. They're rather convenient for residents of Oakdale and Knights Ferry. Great folks with a great attitude and still worth attending, even if it doesn't get you what you need to Stanislaus CCW training.

I took my ccw class with The Madison Society (http://www.madison-society.org/) at the Oakdale Sportsmen's club. Great class, I really enjoyed it. I live in Newman and it was actually a bit more of a drive for me then some of the other options but I liked the idea of my money going back to the cause. Also they give you a discount if you join up!

redrex
09-30-2014, 8:12 PM
Some other notes from my experience for Stanislaus.
1. Apply NOW, don't get put off by the wait.
2. The Sheriff accepts Good Cause (thank you Madison Society) so don't complicate matters. I did not know then when I applied so I had put down Good Cause and some other issue. They were very genuine issues but the officer doing the back ground check called me and sort of grilled me about them. I answered 100% honestly but still, I now wish that I had just kept it simple.
3. As someone said, they are not accepting changes to your listed guns. This goes into effect as soon as you submit paperwork. The guns you apply with will be the guns on your permit, no changes/no adds. I made the mistake of thinking I could change one before I submitted my course cert. Nope. So make sure you have in your possession the guns you want on your ccw when you apply.
4. According to my class instructor, the Sheriff has stated that you can take the class and qualify with any pistol you own. Not just the ones on your app. So a lot of people were using full frame pistols.
5. Read everything in this thread AND on Calguns Foundation first. The paperwork that I had said to sign it before I got there but the lady at the window told me that was wrong and almost refused to accept it. I was not having any of that so I got right up in her face and begged like a starving child. I'm not proud about my behavior but she took my form.
6. The office/lobby of the sheriff has odd hours. 8am to 3pm and closed on Fridays I think. BUT that does not mean that there is not someone there. After I got their late once I said something to the admin the next time i was there. She told me "Oh you should have just picked up the phone outside". I pointed out that the phone says "Police matters" and I had not thought that my application rose to that level of priority. She assured me that even though the lobby is closed they were still there normal business hours.

1/14/13 - Applied online, at that time my appointment was for 2/12, I was psyched. That was until I re-read my confirmation email. 2/12/14, 13 month wait. Ugh. But I did it and put it out of my mind.
7/27/13 - I got a call and was told there was a cancellation and could do early November instead? Really? How is that even a question!
11/6/13 Appointment time, filed my paperwork, had a very short interview and got my digits scanned. Now put a lid on applicant and simmer for 6 months!
4/28/13 Got a call from a deputy asking me to go into detail about my other Good Cause reasons. I answered as best as I could, all the while kicking myself for not just leaving it at "Self Defense".
5/1/13 Call from admin at the Sheriff's office. She explains that I have been tentatively approved and that if I have not already I should sign up for my CCW class. I may or may not have squealed like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.
8/2/14 Took the range portion of my ccw class. 100+ degrees, outside, standing in a dirt and sand pit. Great time, loved it. But then I screwed up. Based on my experience at the range I decided that my "mid sized" ccw gun was too big so I wanted to step down one. However the next size down is not on the CA approved list (F*&$%# idiots). But our instructor had said "Oh Alquist Arms in Turlock will do SSE's with no additional charges. So now I have a plan. I'm going to hold off submitting my class cert and get this pistol and then hopefully modify my app. So I order my pistol. I have to wait two weeks for the order. Then I have to wait 10 days. The same day I'm picking up my pistol I get a call from the admin at the Sheriff's office asking if I'm going to turn in my certification. Nice of them to follow up I thought. So since I have her on the phone I ask her "Hey, I think I may have put down the wrong pistol on my cert, can I change it?" "Nope, bye" click. Well farfegnugen.
9/18/14 Went to turn in my paperwork but I got there at 3:15 and the office closed at 3pm AND it was closed on Friday all day. Well Frack!
9/23/14 I was there when they opened at 8am and turned in my paperwork. Now I'm back on simmer.

redrex
10-15-2014, 5:18 AM
They called last week, on Friday, to tell me my ccw was ready to pickup and that I owed a balance of $80. I pointed out how cruel it was to tell me that it was ready on a day their office was closed to the public. I was being light hearted about it but she caught herself and said that if I needed it today that they could make it happen. WOW, do these people know they work for a government agency? The DMV should take notes. No I told her, I did not wish to put her out and I could wait till next week.

So 10/14/14 I picked up my ccw. Took me 10 min. Signed my "rice paper" form in triplicate and got my plastic ID card. She told me that I had to carry them both and that I could fold the paper in half and then laminate it like that.

So that is 1 year, 9 months. Granted that had I been able to take my class as soon as I got notified in may and that had I not wasted a month trying to add a pistol that I could not add (argh) I could have shave about 3 months off that time. So that still leaves it at 1.5 years.

Thank you so much to Sheriff Christianson. He sets an example that I wish more California sheriff's would follow. And there is little to nothing that he could reasonably do to change this egregious wait time. The cafeteria style decision in regards to rights that liberals in this state chose to protect vs ignore leaves me baffled and honestly in fear for the future of our state and for my children.

I often joke to friends that I want to move to Mexico where at least they are honest about their corruption. Sadly it feels less and less like a jest every day.

SoberClurichaun
01-04-2015, 4:24 PM
I am pretty excited for my ccw appointment next month on the 6th.

Jason95357
01-04-2015, 9:15 PM
I am pretty excited for my ccw appointment next month on the 6th.
Cool. Got your training scheduled? Since StanCo is vSI (virtual Shall Issue), so long as you have a clean background, you might as well get the training done so you don't have to wait on it once you are approved. I recommend joining and taking the training through the Madison Society who train out of the Oakdale Sportsmen Club.

SoberClurichaun
01-07-2015, 7:45 AM
Cool. Got your training scheduled? Since StanCo is vSI (virtual Shall Issue), so long as you have a clean background, you might as well get the training done so you don't have to wait on it once you are approved. I recommend joining and taking the training through the Madison Society who train out of the Oakdale Sportsmen Club.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I have a stop sign citation that's about it.. I was looking at Trident but will probably be shopping around. How long after the interview did you have to wait? Also what does the Madison Society run for the classes?

DRAB_81
01-25-2015, 7:35 PM
Anyone know the current wait time between appointments & approvals (with CCW class done before appointment)?

scrogginsb
01-25-2015, 7:42 PM
3-4 months.

DRAB_81
01-30-2015, 7:27 PM
3-4 months.

Thanks, my Pops has his appt soon, so that's good news.

kalikid
01-31-2015, 3:09 PM
Hey guys, I have my appointment next month(stan county), and have a question for anyone who might know. The application asks 'Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, explain'. I had a misdemeanor DUI with accident 13 years ago. No one else was involved, and no one was hurt. Is this considered a CRIMINAL offense? I'm thinking I should put it down in this section...just in case. I don't want it to look like I'm trying to hide/or be dishonest about it. I've always thought it was considered a traffic infraction. Thanks in advance.

harley66
01-31-2015, 3:47 PM
Hey guys, I have my appointment next month(stan county), and have a question for anyone who might know. The application asks 'Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, explain'. I had a misdemeanor DUI with accident 13 years ago. No one else was involved, and no one was hurt. Is this considered a CRIMINAL offense? I'm thinking I should put it down in this section...just in case. I don't want it to look like I'm trying to hide/or be dishonest about it. I've always thought it was considered a traffic infraction. Thanks in advance.

I can almost 100% promise you, IF you do not disclose this and you get caught - good chance you will be turned down. I heard the sheriff on talk radio take a question just like this, his response was "If You disclose it AND you have an otherwise cleàn record, you WILL get a CCW"

Be honest

harley66
01-31-2015, 3:54 PM
In looking back , defenition of Criminal offense? When in doubt , put it down, they will find it in your back ground

harley66
01-31-2015, 4:07 PM

Take a look at this

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/crime-vs-misdemeanor-background-checks-14195.html

kalikid
01-31-2015, 6:06 PM
Thanks harley66! I knew they would find it in a background check just wasn't sure if that was considered criminal...I will just disclose it in that section, and hope for the best. Thanks again.

GoGrl
03-12-2015, 9:08 PM
So I have my interview in a few months. I have a previous FTA for a cracked windshield ticket that I forgot to pay. I wasn't too worried before until I started reading these forums. Now I'm worried that I'm not "squeaky clean" ��
Think it's going to be an issue?

harley66
03-12-2015, 9:29 PM
Did you disclose that in your paperwork? I am assuming you have since cleared that issue up with the courts??

Squeaking clean is NOT a MUST - Honesty goes a long way with the Sheriff, I heard him tell a person on a radio talk show when ask ( I had a DUI ten years ago and have been a good boy ever since - will that be a problem?) Sheriff answered IF you Disclosed that and you truly have been a good boy, then Yes, you will get a CCW

GoGrl
03-13-2015, 9:25 AM
Thanks Harley66. Yep, I plan on disclosing and it was all taken care of. I just hope they are not going to try to find any little reason to deny me.
Thanks again!

ez2b
03-13-2015, 9:49 AM
I picked up my CCW a week ago today.

Yay!!!!!! Stanislaus County

Ar10 rampage
04-06-2015, 7:29 PM
Appt dec 3 2014- background call Feb 21st 2015- approval call March 13th- took classes March 14th and 15th with trident firearms- turned in certificate March 16th- ccw ready call March 20th! Good to go!!! :Ivan:

harley66
04-06-2015, 7:41 PM
Appt dec 3 2014- background call Feb 21st 2015- approval call March 13th- took classes March 14th and 15th with trident firearms- turned in certificate March 16th- ccw ready call March 20th! Good to go!!! :Ivan:

Trident - DAN is the man - I worked with Dan for 25 years - Great Cop and even better Person

msimmons
04-20-2015, 1:54 PM
Are they still not allowing guns to be added or changed until renewal??

ez2b
04-20-2015, 2:00 PM
Yep

harley66
04-20-2015, 2:42 PM
Are they still not allowing guns to be added or changed until renewal??

You R correct

Standard
04-20-2015, 2:55 PM
That's so lame. I need to have my address changed anyway, but I doubt they'll let me change a gun at the same time.

SoberClurichaun
04-21-2015, 8:54 PM
I just had my phone interview today, the officer was cool and the conversation was pleasant. He told me about 30 days so hopefully that's a good sign!

SoberClurichaun
04-24-2015, 8:44 AM
I've been approved!