PDA

View Full Version : Solano - UPDATE (2014 April 12)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gray Peterson
10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
UPDATE (2014 April 12): post #1082 and after indicate that the SO is issuing CCWs more liberally, but not for mere "self-defense"/"personal protection" yet. So I've just adding a "thumbs up" symbol, but not an Alert symbol or "TIME TO APPLY" to the title.

For a complete copy of the 2008 - 2009 amended Solano Co grand jury findings re. CCWs, go to:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1060361

Here's a link to a local CBS news report ("Lawsuits Prompt Bay Area Sheriffs To Issue Concealed Weapons Permits", 2013 Nov 20) re. the impact of the grand jury findings:

Things changed in 2009, after a grand jury found the Solano County sheriff may have had an “informal policy” of “denying access…and/or discouraging applicants.”

The number of people applying for new concealed carry permits has skyrocketed in Solano County, from 27 in 2011 to 254 so far this year.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/11/20/lawsuits-prompt-bay-area-sheriffs-to-issue-concealed-weapons-permits/

Havoc70
10-18-2010, 2:05 PM
Application sent in, note that Solano County only allows two handguns per permit and also charges well over what the state mandates. But I think you already knew that.

Havoc70
10-18-2010, 2:36 PM
Also, is there going to be a plan to allow folks to start threads here? Right now it's permission denied.

obeygiant
10-18-2010, 3:46 PM
Also, is there going to be a plan to allow folks to start threads here? Right now it's permission denied.

Right now it is going to remain limited to the county threads only as we want to keep all of the discussion in its respective thread.

Let's Go Plink
10-26-2010, 1:43 AM
Does anyone have any experience attempting to get a CCW permit in Solano County? Or, is Havoc70 the initial "test case"? I read the article about Sacramento Sheriff McGinness changing their standards. Do the folks at CGF have any optimism that other counties will follow suit, or do they believe that most will only give in after the court orders it? Either way, I guess it is a good reason to donate to the Foundation. Thank goodness they will fight to uphold the Constitution, even if some elected officials won't.

RolinCode3
10-26-2010, 7:11 PM
I believe PurpleK is in the middle of the process also...there's a thread around here somewhere that he started...

I will be getting mine in shortly.

dantodd
10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Are the folks applying coordinating with Brandon or Gray? It is important that these things be done in certain ways, and that those coordinating the efforts know EXACTLY what is being used as GC etc.

adamsreeftank
10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm ready to apply, but I'll wait for word about what is and isn't working. It would also be great if they could clean up that mess of an application.

wildhawker
10-30-2010, 1:54 AM
I'm ready to apply, but I'll wait for word about what is and isn't working. It would also be great if they could clean up that mess of an application.

I'll be posting the good cause statements soon. Note that the only application you need to complete is this one (http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf).

Purple K
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I believe PurpleK is in the middle of the process also...there's a thread around here somewhere that he started...

I will be getting mine in shortly.

So far I've submitted my application, paid my (illegally excessive) fees and submitted to livescan fingerprinting.

Purple K
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Are the folks applying coordinating with Brandon or Gray? It is important that these things be done in certain ways, and that those coordinating the efforts know EXACTLY what is being used as GC etc.

I shared a rough draft of my G.C. with Brandon and Gray.

97F1504RAD
11-01-2010, 5:01 PM
If someone was to have completed the 832PC back in the late 80's at a community college how would one go about getting that proof?

CSDGuy
11-01-2010, 5:35 PM
If someone was to have completed the 832PC back in the late 80's at a community college how would one go about getting that proof?
If the class was supposed to submit a roster to POST, I would think that POST would have your name on file as having attended that that class. You should be able to contact POST and ask them to send a letter regarding what they have on file for you as far as training goes.

97F1504RAD
11-01-2010, 5:45 PM
I have no idea if they were required to report it to POST and I do not recall getting any type of certificate.

sar_man
11-01-2010, 5:48 PM
When I took my 832 in the early 90s it was a POST approved course and I received certificates

racky
11-01-2010, 7:17 PM
tagged

edit: how much are they charging?

Purple K
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Get a copy of your transcript from the College.

97F1504RAD
11-02-2010, 2:07 PM
Get a copy of your transcript from the College.

Working on that.

Thanks

Purple K
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
The Sheriff requested a DMV printout today. New policy change since August.

asabs1982
11-09-2010, 1:28 PM
SO, what are the reccommended steps to applying for a CCW permit?

Purple K
11-09-2010, 6:14 PM
Solano does not charge any fees until after their initial review of your application. If you get past the initial review you'll come in for fees and fingerprinting. If you pass the background check you'll be instructed to schedule your training with one of the approved instructors.

Purple K
11-09-2010, 6:16 PM
I guess they liked my DMV info. There was a message on my machine this evening to schedule my training. Bow chicka bow bow...

adamsreeftank
11-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I guess they liked my DMV info. There was a message on my machine this evening to schedule my training. Bow chicka bow bow...

So do you have good cause beyond self defense?

dantodd
11-10-2010, 9:48 AM
The Sheriff requested a DMV printout today. New policy change since August.

New and illegal. I'm sure Gray will be in touch, especially if it is new.

Racefiend
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
So if I'm interested in getting a CCW in Vacaville, where IIRC the Police Chief requires a high dollar bond/insurance ($1M I think), can I just go to the sheriff instead and bypass the requirement?

Being a business owner who deposits money at the bank, what are my chances of being accepted?

Purple K
11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
You can bypass the PD and go directly to the Sheriff.

Purple K
11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
So do you have good cause beyond self defense?

Two paragraphs on a single sheet regarding self defense.

wildhawker
11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Let's not individually challenge Solano at this point; we're already working directly with Solano to correct deficiencies.

Racefiend
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
So hold off applying until the green light is given? I can do that.

HAVOC5150
11-10-2010, 5:20 PM
I just looked at the Solano Sherif fee schedule and it says that the cost for a new ccw from the Sheriff is $229.00 + a $95.00 DOJ fee. I don't know what excessive is or what is considered illegal, to me it doesn't seem excessive but that's me. Several years ago, Fairfield city council chose to jack the city fee for a ccw to $1000.00 which I know that you'll correct me if I'm wrong they got there ***** handed to them for that.

Gary Stanton is the first Sheriff for Solano County that is giving CCW's to his Correctional Officers and to average joe citizen. Every other Sheriff that we have had wouldn't even consider it, even if one of his officers had death threats from Prison Gangs that were validated by CDCR and the FBI.

Yeah he only allows 2 guns and for employee's they can not be single action. Though I have met someone that had a CCW from Solano and he was able to carry a 1911.

Gray Peterson
11-10-2010, 5:27 PM
I just looked at the Solano Sherif fee schedule and it says that the cost for a new ccw from the Sheriff is $229.00 + a $95.00 DOJ fee. I don't know what excessive is or what is considered illegal, to me it doesn't seem excessive but that's me. Several years ago, Fairfield city council chose to jack the city fee for a ccw to $1000.00 which I know that you'll correct me if I'm wrong they got there ***** handed to them for that.

Gary Stanton is the first Sheriff for Solano County that is giving CCW's to his Correctional Officers and to average joe citizen. Every other Sheriff that we have had wouldn't even consider it, even if one of his officers had death threats from Prison Gangs that were validated by CDCR and the FBI.

Yeah he only allows 2 guns and for employee's they can not be single action. Though I have met someone that had a CCW from Solano and he was able to carry a 1911.

You can PM me more particulars and details?

-Gray

reggie 00
11-10-2010, 6:48 PM
Being a business owner who deposits money at the bank, what are my chances of being accepted?

When my brother did the inquiry, he was told that if we had big deposits to make that we should call Brinks and have them come pick it up. This was the helpful advise given by the VVPD.

reefer_bob
11-16-2010, 9:32 PM
I too shall wait in the wings to see what happens! I'd like to apply when the time is right.

hoffmang
11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
And the fees are now fixed: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=364201

-Gene

sar_man
11-18-2010, 5:07 AM
Article from the Vacaville Reporter on the fee reduction

http://www.thereporter.com/rss/ci_16646037?source=rss

kdm
11-18-2010, 5:58 AM
"I too shall wait in the wings to see what happens! I'd like to apply when the time is right."

I'm with you on that. When the environment is right, my app will be on it's way within...well...a realistic amount of time.

Does one need to submit separate Live Scan, or will a current COE do the trick?

Gray Peterson
11-18-2010, 6:07 AM
"I too shall wait in the wings to see what happens! I'd like to apply when the time is right."

I'm with you on that. When the environment is right, my app will be on it's way within...well...a realistic amount of time.

Does one need to submit separate Live Scan, or will a current COE do the trick?

Separate Livescan.

Purple K
11-19-2010, 9:38 AM
Another $100 to the cause #xxxx-xxxx-2617-6788

CriticallyStressed
11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
As a Dixon resident, I'm most interested in seeing our county's CCW reform similar to Sac. Are there any plans for legal action to accomplish in the near future?

dantodd
11-19-2010, 3:09 PM
As a Dixon resident, I'm most interested in seeing our county's CCW reform similar to Sac. Are there any plans for legal action to accomplish in the near future?

There is no need for an additional lawsuit at this point. Let Richards (nee Sykes) work its way through the system. When we win there it will apply to the whole state. Most counties will comply with the ruling and those that won't can be addressed numerous ways.

Any suit that mimics Richards or Peruta at this point is redundant and would ultimately be mooted by one of those before it gets decided.

CriticallyStressed
11-20-2010, 9:09 AM
I'm glad to hear that. It seems like the current case will take long enough...

CriticallyStressed
11-25-2010, 9:04 PM
I put my money where my mouth is and kicked in $100 to sponsor Solano Co. I encourage all other Solano Calgunners to do the same.

Purple K
11-27-2010, 7:27 AM
I got my refund letter from the Sheriff in the mail yesterday. I love the fact that they now have to refund the excessive fees they've been charging. Thank you again Calguns!

obeygiant
11-27-2010, 8:56 AM
I got my refund letter from the Sheriff in the mail yesterday. I love the fact that they now have to refund the excessive fees they've been charging. Thank you again Calguns!

Great news! Thank you for the update.

obeygiant
12-01-2010, 8:31 PM
Solano Good Cause statements are now available Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/136-solano)

Soldier415
12-01-2010, 8:47 PM
Solano Good Cause statements are now available Here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/136-solano)
Very heavily redacted compared to the San Juaqin...

obeygiant
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
That is how we received them from the county, disappointing to say the least.

Purple K
12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's a couple of little tidbits. A fellow Calgunner talked with Paulette at the Solano Sheriff's Office recently. She stated that they were processing about fifteen CCW applications and that they were a very low priority for the Sheriff and even lower priority for her. They might just need a little reminder about the 90-day and 30-day time constraints on them.

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 1:00 AM
Here's a couple of little tidbits. A fellow Calgunner talked with Paulette at the Solano Sheriff's Office recently. She stated that they were processing about fifteen CCW applications and that they were a very low priority for the Sheriff and even lower priority for her. They might just need a little reminder about the 90-day and 30-day time constraints on them.

ORLY. Has anyone properly documented submission so we have some leverage?

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 1:07 AM

I love page 5 - why grant a CCW for "home invasion" risk when a permit is clearly not required to have a loaded firearm ready for self-defense?

Also, see page 8, 14, 19, 26, 27, 33 (is epic), 41, 44, 52.

Soldier415
12-02-2010, 1:10 AM
I love page 5 - why grant a CCW for "home invasion" risk when a permit is clearly not required to have a loaded firearm ready for self-defense?

Yeah, that one threw me for a loop. The recurring theme is either correctional officer, or redacted and "defense of myself and my family from death or great bodily harm".

It seems that they are trying to portray that they will issue for personal protection, but have redacted out the rest of the GC statement that would give any details surrounding the nature of the need for personal protection.

Purple K
12-02-2010, 1:38 AM
ORLY. Has anyone properly documented submission so we have some leverage?

Why yes, someone has.:D

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 1:42 AM
Why yes, someone has.:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2407627281_ed0f39dec0.jpg?v=0

Purple K
12-02-2010, 1:57 AM
"very heavily redacted" is quite the understatement.

dantodd
12-02-2010, 1:57 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2407627281_ed0f39dec0.jpg?v=0

That should really be your avatar.

CriticallyStressed
12-02-2010, 5:41 AM
Isn't the PRA requestee entitled to receive a non-redacted copy? I thought GC statements were supposed to be public?

On the other hand, it looks like you'd better be a correctional officer or former LEO to get one based on the ones that were readable. As for the handful of other ones, there's no way to know what "compelling" circumstances are listed behind the big black lines :mad:

A GC statement of two-words (literally) "Correctional Officer" is accepted and another two-word statement "self defense" will not is pathetic. Hopefully things start to change soon...

model63
12-02-2010, 6:09 AM
My take away from reading this....Not much to go on as the previous post have stated... the Sheriff's office is heavy on the Sharpie:

Page 24: I'm disappointed to see that VPD found a longtime residents right to self-preservation no longer valid. That's BS unless that resident all of the sudden was unstable or exhibited thuggish behavior... that high school graduating class of 1947 must of turned out real bad-boys: Seems like age discrimination on the surface.

Page 26: Three of the five reasons not redacted, #5 may have additional relevance after another 40k get released due to overcrowding via the Supreme Court findings, although that decision probably won't come out till next year unless their is some urgency of the court ahead of time on 'humanitarian' grounds

Page 33: The bottom statement is a mixed bag and I wonder if that would be a disqualifying reason in a state like CA versus KS. I admit, I am a bit Agnostic, which is all the more reason I believe in our right to carry shouldn't be compromised; as heaven is here on Earth for folks like me. Still, if getting my CCW means God told me to get a weapon to protect myself....well then...Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

97F1504RAD
12-02-2010, 6:50 AM
Isn't the PRA requestee entitled to receive a non-redacted copy? I thought GC statements were supposed to be public?

On the other hand, it looks like you'd better be a correctional officer or former LEO to get one based on the ones that were readable. As for the handful of other ones, there's no way to know what "compelling" circumstances are listed behind the big black lines :mad:

A GC statement of two-words (literally) "Correctional Officer" is accepted and another two-word statement "self defense" will not is pathetic. Hopefully things start to change soon...

These are my thoughts exactly. At this point unless your a correctional officer or PI it seems you will not get one. I noticed in the San Joaquin ones that most of the GC statements were related to having your own business and carrying large sums of cash or guns for some and you were working out in nowhere land. So the questions is what are normal guys that do not fit these categories suppose to do. Just keep waiting i guess right?

Thanks to all doing the hard work behind the scenes.

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Page 33: The bottom statement is a mixed bag and I wonder if that would be a disqualifying reason in a state like CA versus KS. I admit, I am a bit Agnostic, which is all the more reason I believe in our right to carry shouldn't be compromised; as heaven is here on Earth for folks like me. Still, if getting my CCW means God told me to get a weapon to protect myself....well then...Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

THE FUNNIEST thing I have read at CGN in a while - thanks for the chuckle. :rofl2:

RobG
12-02-2010, 6:16 PM
Interesting. Aren't correctional officers covered under HR 218?

wildhawker
12-02-2010, 6:50 PM
Interesting. Aren't correctional officers covered under HR 218?

Most correctional officers are not sworn peace officers for the purposes of LEOSA or PC 12050.

CenterX
12-02-2010, 7:32 PM
Looks like a good old boy's club list of justifications.
Though a couple seemed like rural county locations are applicable. Living next to a crack house or grow house didn't come up. Makes one wonder.
I'm speculating things are going to get better.

Purple K
12-07-2010, 7:34 PM
Well well well... Since the 90-day clock has already expired and the 30-day clock is within a few days of expiring I called the Sheriff's Office today to check the status on my application. She said that she was just getting ready to call me. I'm approved!!! I just need to go do a thumbprint and photo. Yeah Ha!!!
:jump::party:

wildhawker
12-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Well well well... Since the 90-day clock has already expired and the 30-day clock is within a few days of expiring I called the Sheriff's Office today to check the status on my application. She said that she was just getting ready to call me. I'm approved!!! I just need to go do a thumbprint and photo. Yeah Ha!!!

Congrats sir!

Purple K
12-08-2010, 6:21 AM
Thank You! and Calguns!!!

97F1504RAD
12-08-2010, 6:41 AM
Congrats

So did you have some special good cause statement other than simple Self Defense?

And can I ask what your total cost was for this?

adamsreeftank
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Well, that's a good sign. Assuming you are not a corrections officer or a PI. :D

Can you share any details of you GC?

obeygiant
12-08-2010, 8:40 PM

Congratulations!

FishNFool
12-08-2010, 8:59 PM
Congo rats!! Purple K I am more excited for you than when I got mine!! Hopefully this is the first of many for Solano

Purple K
12-08-2010, 9:05 PM
Congo rats!! Purple K I am more excited for you than when I got mine!! Hopefully this is the first of many for Solano

Thanks! She said she had a couple other people to call as well. I wonder if they're Calgunners? Are you shooting Sunday?

CriticallyStressed
12-09-2010, 6:24 AM
Congratulations... now when can we apply with "Self Defense" as good cause:rolleyes:

Are you open to at least hinting what your GC statement was?

D-Man
12-09-2010, 7:07 AM
Congrats to you Purple K!

Purple K
12-09-2010, 3:09 PM
I'll forward my GC to the Foundation for them to redact and post.

goldcup_1911
12-13-2010, 8:53 PM
Sir,
I'm assuming that the standard CCW good for the whole state of CA? or is it just for Solano County jurisdiction wise. Your response would be highly appreciated.

wildhawker
12-13-2010, 9:20 PM
Sir,
I'm assuming that the standard CCW good for the whole state of CA? or is it just for Solano County jurisdiction wise. Your response would be highly appreciated.

The application is good for the entire state. Please reference our guide (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/CGF_Civilian_CCW_Guide.pdf) to help you along the way.

CCW licenses are generally valid statewide, with some exceptions for time, place, manner (e.g. business permits are only good for 90 days in the county in which they are issued).

nealma
12-17-2010, 7:34 AM
I am new to this site only being told about it after running into difficulties with my application with the city of Vacaville. Perhaps Some of you have insight for me.

1. I was told if I live in Vacaville I must first apply there and if turned down then I can appeal to the county.
2. Vacaville is requiring that I submit a letter from a licensed physician that I am physically capable of carrying and controlling a weapon, as well as a letter from a phd psychologist stating I am mentally competent. I have called over 20 psychologists in the greater sacramento area and they all say they don't do psychological evaluations for weapons permits. Is this legal can they ask us for this? Has anyone else gotten this evaluation and if so who did it for you.

Thanks (I hope this is posted correctly - new to this whole process)

Regards

Mike (username - nealma)

Purple K
12-17-2010, 8:30 PM
You do not have to apply to the City first! Apply directly to the Sheriff

rivraton
12-19-2010, 2:23 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, interesting though...
http://www.solano.courts.ca.gov/materials/CarryConcealedWeaponsLicenseReport.pdf

Purple K
12-28-2010, 6:26 AM
Solano County has just announced new additional fees for CCW applicants to offset the Calguns win last month regarding the overcharging that they'd been doing. See this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=377489

Gray Peterson
12-28-2010, 9:12 AM
Only the modification fee has been added (and they are allowed to charge that under state law). The research fee and the clearance have nothing to do with CCW.

gucci pilot
12-29-2010, 6:19 PM
I had a friend of mine forward me an e-mail about a CCW workshop/forum on January 15 in Dixon. According to the e-mail, The Calguns Foundation is hosting the event. Anyone have more info? Although I don't live in Solano County, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

CriticallyStressed
12-30-2010, 7:47 AM
Is it possible to put that information in this thread (or even PM me). I live in Dixon and would be very interested in attending this workshop.

model63
12-30-2010, 8:07 AM
Is it possible to put that information in this thread (or even PM me). I live in Dixon and would be very interested in attending this workshop.

+1 on the thread.

ssteve
12-30-2010, 9:36 AM
Having a hard time finding any info on the new sheriffs ideals on ccw's. I know the previous sheriff basically didnt allow it what so ever. Im hopeful the new sheriff changes that.

Paladin
01-01-2011, 9:43 AM
I had a friend of mine forward me an e-mail about a CCW workshop/forum on January 15 in Dixon. According to the e-mail, The Calguns Foundation is hosting the event. Anyone have more info? Funny, the Right People around here have neither confirmed nor denied knowledge or involvement w/the above event. :TFH:

Giving this a bump since winning Solano is an important step toward cracking open the anti stronghold known as the SF Bay Area. Solano issuing puts pressure on Yolo, Napa, Sonoma, and Contra Costa counties.

I'm sure many people who live near a county's border can easily move to one side of it or another. This indirectly frees up many county residents by allowing them to keep their same jobs (and possibly even commuting distances) and social connections while allowing them to get CCWs. :mnl:

sar_man
01-01-2011, 5:16 PM
Talked to a friend that applied with the SO and he was told that they are receiving 12-15 applications a day.

gucci pilot
01-02-2011, 7:26 AM
For obvious reasons of spreading false info, I did not post everything that my friend sent me. It did specifically state that this is a Calguns Foundation event and included the website link. I'm more than happy to forward the e-mail to the "right" people.

chiselchst
01-02-2011, 4:56 PM
A friend from work that I referred here made a $100.00 donation to Calguns Foundation general funds, but intended it to go to the Solano County Initiative. Can Brandon or someone please make this happen?

Details Below:

Hello Matt Bowman,

This email confirms that you have donated The Calguns Foundation $100.00 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *CALGUNSFDN".

Donation Details

Donation amount: $100.00 USD
Total: $100.00 USD
Purpose: Calguns Foundation - General Donation Reference: 0042

His screen name is: matt95688

Thanks!

reefer_bob
01-03-2011, 7:15 PM
I'd be very interested in this Dixon event... I hope to hear more info!

Extender Mender
01-03-2011, 7:44 PM
I had a friend of mine forward me an e-mail about a CCW workshop/forum on January 15 in Dixon. According to the e-mail, The Calguns Foundation is hosting the event. Anyone have more info? Although I don't live in Solano County, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

I was so excited to read about this seminar in the Dixon Independent Voice that I overlooked the time for the seminar. So, not knowing the start time for this, I called the Veterans Hall to find out what time it starts, and they are still expecting to conduct the seminar as of today (3 Jan).

According to the Independent Voice and the Veterans Hall, the seminar will open at Noon on 15 January, and will start when everyone is settled in. The article in the Independent Voice [Dec 31, 2010, Page 5, "That's Life" by Ted Hickman] has stated that CALGUN will also be there. The link provided in the article is how I found CalGunsFoundation.org.

Ted Hickman also has all of his articles online at http://www.tedhickman.com/?p=1795

See you all there!

Extender Mender
01-03-2011, 8:52 PM

I can think of one reason:
You come home and as you enter your home you see your wife, bound, gagged, and nude on the floor about twenty feet away. Standing over her is a masked man with his pants down and pointing a gun at your wife. As you start into a full run, he turns the gun towards you and pulls the trigger. When you regain conscience in the hospital five days later, you learn that your wife is dead and you will have to rely on other people for the rest of your life for tasks such as eating, bathing, emptying the bedpan, etc. You also learn that the gun that was used was the very same gun that you had put on the CCW, and on that day, would have been the gun in your hand and not the rapist-murderer.

But what are the odds of that happening, right? I'd say it is about the same odds as an Army Major entering a crowd of Army Soldiers and start shooting them. Or the same odds as a troubled individual entering a busy shopping mall and setting fire to it and claiming he has a bomb.

hoffmang
01-03-2011, 11:34 PM
For obvious reasons of spreading false info, I did not post everything that my friend sent me. It did specifically state that this is a Calguns Foundation event and included the website link. I'm more than happy to forward the e-mail to the "right" people.

I will be giving a presentation.

-Gene

gucci pilot
01-04-2011, 6:26 PM
I will be giving a presentation.

-Gene

Well then, I'll be there with my best tin foil hat!

:TFH:

thorsmith59
01-07-2011, 6:15 PM
On Monday December 27th, I dropped off my CCW application at the Solano County Sherrif's Office. On Wednesday the 29th, I got a call to tell me I am approved to proceed to the Livescan background check. I absolutely did not expect to get a call after only 2 days. My Livescan appointent is next Monday the 10th of January.

reefer_bob
01-09-2011, 9:42 AM
Where is the additional info for the Dixon event? Any help please?

Thanks.

CriticallyStressed
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Check the link posted by Extender Mender... it will be held at noon on 1/15 at VFW Hall in Dixon. I'm planning to attend with my wife.

Has anyone that's been accepted lately used a special GC statement? I was under the impression that Solano Sheriff's policy specifically states that self defense isn't acceptable. Or has the unofficial policy changed and the wind is blowing a different direction now? (I assume this question would be answered at the seminar next Saturday).

sar_man
01-11-2011, 9:16 AM
Looks like the SO has posted a new procedure including requiring that you have your class completed prior to submitting the application.

maddoggie13
01-11-2011, 9:18 AM
I'll be at Dixon with few friends too....

CriticallyStressed
01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Sitting at the Dixon seminar now... Looks like Gene and the crew are late... Something about getting stuck in traffic.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say... When they get here :-)

Runin Ronin
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I am here as well... I'd say over 100 people in attendance. They ran out of 75 applications already, more are being printed.

Runin Ronin
01-15-2011, 1:17 PM
The CCW application link at the start of this thread hasn't been working the last couple days... I have found this link on another thread:

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw_app.pdf

Can I use this for Solano County?

p.s. The workshop has been very informative! Thank you Gene and CGF!

97F1504RAD
01-15-2011, 1:50 PM
The CCW application link at the start of this thread hasn't been working the last couple days... I have found this link on another thread:

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw_app.pdf

Can I use this for Solano County?

p.s. The workshop has been very informative! Thank you Gene and CGF!

Yes that is the DOJ form they want evreyone to use.

CriticallyStressed
01-15-2011, 1:55 PM
A big thank you to Gene for his informative talk and patiently answering questions from everyone, including me (and even the non-relevant ones from that NV guy:rolleyes:).
Overall, a very good seminar. I was surprised how many people came (must have been over 100 in attendance).

My wife and I picked up applications and will apply (provided I don't get hired at a Sacramento company I've applied to).
I was also glad to hear that the Sheriff has dropped the requirement to have training up-front and isn't charging to accept applications.
That's right folks:

No fees required to apply anymore at Solano (fees taken after passing the first hurdle)
No need to provide proof of training until after you're approved

One point for you Gene. I've read the case law, penal code, and many many threads on here over the years and I had a hard time following you at times. Mainly I think it's because you used a lot of abbreviations and/or didn't spend time to explain (in plain, easy to understand language) what some of the legal and court-case issues are. I think a lot of the audience didn't really absorb what you were trying to present. Not nit-picking, just a few pointers.

maddoggie13
01-15-2011, 3:48 PM
Very good presentation at Dixon Gene...thanks for information. :punk:

JimSar
01-15-2011, 5:37 PM
Very good presentation at Dixon Gene...thanks for information. :punk:

+ 100% . Very good presentation, indeed.

CriticallyStressed, good luck on that job prospect in Sacramento. I talked to you both as we were leaving the building.

Funny thing about these forums, we could be in a room together and not know each other. In a hobby forum that I'm in, we'd have our handles as well as real names on tags during monthly meetings.

JimSar
01-15-2011, 5:42 PM
I just checked the packet I got at the meeting, there's a missing page. It may be to your best interest to compare it with the one posted at the Sheriff's website. There's also guidelines there not handed out at the meeting. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.co.solano.ca.us/depts/sheriff/pubinfo/concealed_weapons_permit.asp

hoffmang
01-15-2011, 7:16 PM
Just FYI - I wasn't late. I was supposed to go on at 2PM but your 1PM speaker didn't show. I was early :)

I was also glad to hear that the Sheriff has dropped the requirement to have training up-front and isn't charging to accept applications.
That's right folks:

No fees required to apply anymore at Solano (fees taken after passing the first hurdle)
No need to provide proof of training until after you're approved

Please do post once folks confirm the above from first hand experience.

-Gene

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 7:19 PM
I just checked the packet I got at the meeting, there's a missing page. It may be to your best interest to compare it with the one posted at the Sheriff's website. There's also guidelines there not handed out at the meeting. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.co.solano.ca.us/depts/sheriff/pubinfo/concealed_weapons_permit.asp

Their policy is still illegal in many respects, which we'll be addressing soon.

-Brandon

Ding126
01-19-2011, 6:05 PM
Since I lost my secret decoder ring..whats considered a "Good Cause " If your not a CO, retired LEO or business owner?

Paladin
01-23-2011, 7:10 AM
I just realized I missed this earlier.

:party:

Congrats Purple K! While I don't get mad when low post count newbies/lurkers show up and say they've got theirs, I am really happy when a regular contributor/fighter finally gets to announce that they did get theirs.

May you never have to use it, but if you do, may you not miss your target(s)!

Purple K
01-25-2011, 3:17 AM
Thank you sir!

JimSar
01-31-2011, 10:53 PM
On Monday December 27th, I dropped off my CCW application at the Solano County Sherrif's Office. On Wednesday the 29th, I got a call to tell me I am approved to proceed to the Livescan background check. I absolutely did not expect to get a call after only 2 days. My Livescan appointent is next Monday the 10th of January.

Any status to report, thorsmith69? It's been 3 weeks since your livescan appointment, I'm not sure what the normal turnaround is.

thorsmith59
02-01-2011, 5:38 PM
No status to report. Still waiting to hear from the Sheriff's office. I'm not sure how long this should take but I've heard rumors that they have had a lot of apps recently.

Purple K
02-03-2011, 1:16 PM
Thor will be packin' more than a hammer soon enough...

Runin Ronin
02-03-2011, 3:13 PM
I mailed my app in last Monday, USPS confirms it was received the next day. No call from the SO yet... wondering if I should call and ask? I understand they received quite a bit of apps recently so I am trying to be patient.

Purple K
02-03-2011, 3:38 PM
Hang tight, Paulette will call if she needs more info.

Runin Ronin
02-04-2011, 8:46 AM
I mailed my app in last Monday, USPS confirms it was received the next day. No call from the SO yet... wondering if I should call and ask? I understand they received quite a bit of apps recently so I am trying to be patient.

Update: I received the call from Paulette today... Approved. Moving on to Step 2.

JimSar
02-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Update: I received the call from Paulette today... Approved. Moving on to Step 2.

Step 2 is LiveScan, i.e. background check, determines "good moral character". By "Approved" does it mean GC statement passed muster? In their procedure, the operative word is "Accepted" which qualifies an applicant to go to Step 2.

Runin Ronin
02-04-2011, 9:46 AM
Step 2 is LiveScan, i.e. background check, determines "good moral character". By "Approved" does it mean GC statement passed muster? In their procedure, the operative word is "Accepted" which qualifies an applicant to go to Step 2.

Hi Jim, Paulette used the word "Approved" over the phone and said that I can now proceed to Step 2. So yes, my GC statement passed muster. I left a message with the Livescan department so that I can make an appointment.

Ding126
02-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Congrat's to all..
can some of you PM me with what your "Good Cause" statement was. Any info would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Runin Ronin
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I received several PMs asking me what my GC statement was and instead of answering them all separately...

"My" Good Cause statement revolved around my profession. I am often in isolated and rural areas of CA and the gist of my GC stated that I usually work solo and am fearful for my safety.

The list of GC statements provided by CGF is a great reference... there is one example that was almost exactly what "my" GC was.

Livescan is scheduled for next week. Thanks CGF!

Brewzer1818
02-06-2011, 9:30 PM
I alao attended the Dixon event. Applied on the 18th of jan, was called back and completed live scan the following week. Things are looking better in Solano county.

marlon671
02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Can anyone give me some pointers on a good cause statement?

A little about about me, I'm a 28yr old law abiding citizen with no criminal records at all. I'm not a LEO, CO, etc however I did attend a police academy 2 years ago. My only reason for applying for a ccw besides the alarming rise of violence in the place I reside (Vallejo) would be the honest truth of "protection for my family and myself as I refuse to be a victim of senseless crimes". Would this stand a chance? My forms are almost ready to go pending a good cause statement. Any help via pm will help. Thanks calguns.

Paladin
02-09-2011, 6:37 PM
Can anyone give me some pointers on a good cause statement? Review the posted Solano GC statements. A link was posted on the 1st and 2nd pages of this thread. You should also review this thread in its entirety.

A little about about me, I'm a 28yr old law abiding citizen with no criminal records at all. I'm not a LEO, CO, etc however I did attend a police academy 2 years ago. My only reason for applying for a ccw besides the alarming rise of violence in the place I reside (Vallejo) would be the honest truth of "protection for my family and myself as I refuse to be a victim of senseless crimes". Would this stand a chance? My forms are almost ready to go pending a good cause statement. Any help via pm will help. Thanks calguns.Your GC would be "self-defense" just like most people's here. Acceptance of that by ALL CA counties is a major goal of the Initiative.

But, per Gray's post a week or so ago in another thread, most things are now on hold pending the outcome of a case or two that we're all waiting for. There are good odds one or more of those cases will be decided before May. That's why you'll come across many references to "having a sandwich and taking a nap". We're all trying to keep our minds off of it for awhile otherwise the suspense will kill us!

But the bottom line, last I heard, was that we expect most counties to accept SD as GC before this time next year. Some holdouts may take until 2013.

thorsmith59
02-11-2011, 8:42 AM
It's been 33 days since my livescan appointment. I've heard nothing from Paulette yet. I've read a couple of posts that say the SO is being hit with a lot of CCW apps and others that mention that some things are "on hold". I am determined to be patient about this but 33 days for a background check seems like a long time. As I remember, the application paperwork says they can take up to 90 days or 30 days from the completion of the background check, whichever is longer.

JimSar
02-11-2011, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the update, thorsmith59. Hope you don't have to wait much longer. It is consistent with what I've heard, "be patient", there are important things going on beside CCW, and CCW processing is not front burner material.

Not knowing "when" is tough. Unlike the 10 day waiting period where you know to the minute when you can pick up your firearm. :)

Zimz
02-14-2011, 1:41 PM
Quick question. I submitted my CCW application to the Solano SD on 10 Dec, and had my livescan done on 22 Dec. According to what I've been reading, they have 30 days from the livescan or 90 days from application submission to reply. If this is correct, I should be hearing from them before roughly 10 Mar..

If I don't get a response by then, should I give them a call and ask the status, or should I let you guys know? Thanks for the advice!

thorsmith59
02-14-2011, 5:35 PM
Quick question. I submitted my CCW application to the Solano SD on 10 Dec, and had my livescan done on 22 Dec. According to what I've been reading, they have 30 days from the livescan or 90 days from application submission to reply. If this is correct, I should be hearing from them before roughly 10 Mar..

If I don't get a response by then, should I give them a call and ask the status, or should I let you guys know? Thanks for the advice!

I believe it says 30 days from the completion of your background check ( which is not necessarily the same as the livescan which is almost instant) or 90 days from the submission of your app, whichever is longer. This leaves a lot of fudge room in my opinion.

I'm in the same boat. Its been about 5 weeks since my livescan. :confused:

vkosty
02-18-2011, 1:03 AM
Moved to CA few months ago and am ready to apply for the concealed carry in Vacaville, Solano County. Any advice on what to write/do and what not to would be greatly appreciated. I hear it's been getting a bit easier in Solano recently.
Thanks in advance

Purple K
02-18-2011, 4:41 AM
Look in the Solano County sub-forum of the Second Amendment forum.

BusBoy
02-18-2011, 5:12 AM
Look in the Solano County sub-forum of the Second Amendment forum.

And here it is... Solano County (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352810)

Zimz
02-22-2011, 3:48 PM
:jump: Paulette called today telling me to move on to step 3 (training and qualification)! It took a while, but they stayed within the 90 day window. Almost there!

Does anyone recommend one of the 3 training groups in particular? I don't want to sit through 16 hours of some dude spouting FUD.

thorsmith59
02-22-2011, 5:49 PM
I also received a call from Paulette today. She left a message and I have to call her back tomorrow but I assume it will be good news as it says in the app that if you are denied it will be by mail.

I know two people who have recently used the Baptist Security Training and they both recommend him. He also is the most inexpensive at $150, I believe.

:D

sar_man
02-23-2011, 9:36 AM
Two of my friends took their training from Dave Adams and said that he did a great job.

Purple K
02-25-2011, 7:10 AM
Brandon, any progress in getting more than two pistols listed on our permits?

clcolin81
02-28-2011, 8:11 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a resident of and work in Solano County. I've seen a few success stories here on the forums from people who have gotten a ccw permit in Solano lately, and it's encouraging me to give it a try. I don't work in a situation where I deal with large sums of money or valuables, and I don't have a stalker or threats on my life, but in my opinion, why should one have to wait to be in the threat of danger before receiving a permit, right? After all, it makes as much sense as getting an insurance policy only after disaster strikes.

Anyhow, I was wondering if people on the forums would be kind enough to offer me advice as to what chances a common law-abiding citizen like myself would have of being issued a permit? For those of you that have one (particularly in Solano) did you have to give any extra cause other than simply self defense?

Thanks in advance.

Zimz
03-01-2011, 7:52 AM
For your good cause, I suggest reviewing the list of good cause statements that have already been accepted by the Solano SD and tailor yours to whichever closely resembles your situation. Solano is generally good about self defense, but they won't accept simply "self defense". Go into detail why you feel the need for self defense. For example, I don't have any of the "good cause" reasons, but I listed driving alone long distances at night, hiking in the mountains, and a general self defense statement. I suggest making a statement attesting to your aptitude with firearms, your maturity, and general dislike for violence or escilation... last resort, etc. Again, tailor it to your situation, as this is for mine.

This is all from my experience, so take it for the $.02 it's worth.

kennmark
03-01-2011, 9:43 AM
EDIT: nevermind, i got a call from Paulette this morning .... woohoo!

i had my livescan done on Jan 21st.... i should be hearing from paulette soon then? it is over a month already.... im being patient.

wildhawker
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Brandon, any progress in getting more than two pistols listed on our permits?

It's on the radar but a few other items are up first. Stay tuned.

Big
03-04-2011, 2:52 PM
How much are the, Sheriff's, fees? Do I just put a check in with the Application?

Thanks,

thorsmith59
03-04-2011, 3:43 PM
How much are the, Sheriff's, fees? Do I just put a check in with the Application?

Thanks,

You don't pay any fees until they evaluate your good cause statement and determine that you are okay to proceed to the background check. Make sure you call Paulette and get the packet from her and it'll save you a lot of questions. She initially seemed a little upset with me that I had downloaded the packet and hadn't gotten it from her.

thorsmith59
03-04-2011, 3:46 PM
Well I completed my training and dropped off my paperwork today. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon. It has been about 66 days since I started the process.

Zimz
03-04-2011, 4:53 PM
Congrats thor!:cheers2:

I did my training last week and dropped of my paperwork on the 24th. I got a call yesterday telling me I'm done! I just have to take a picture and thumbprint on Wed and it's finished!!!

:jump:

Application submitted 10 Dec, final permit appointment on 9 Mar. I'm looking forward to some WW nachos!

Question: Do they issue the permit on the spot, or is it sent in the mail?

thorsmith59
03-04-2011, 7:50 PM
Congrats thor!:cheers2:

I did my training last week and dropped of my paperwork on the 24th. I got a call yesterday telling me I'm done! I just have to take a picture and thumbprint on Wed and it's finished!!!

:jump:

Application submitted 10 Dec, final permit appointment on 9 Mar. I'm looking forward to some WW nachos!

Question: Do they issue the permit on the spot, or is it sent in the mail?

Congrats zimz. When Purplek got his pic taken he left with the permit in hand.

kennmark
03-05-2011, 1:35 AM
you go home with permit..... congrats.

im training next week, then i'll drop it off right away.

kennmark
03-05-2011, 1:35 AM
you go home with permit..... congrats.

im training next week, then i'll drop it off right away.

thorsmith59
03-05-2011, 3:08 PM
Just remembered something I wanted to pass on. When I dropped off my targets and training info, It was mentioned that they are dealing with about 60 permits "this week". Makes me wonder how many have been issued lately.

Purple K
03-05-2011, 5:54 PM
Sixty!!! This could be a good source of revenue for the county.

996pilot
03-06-2011, 9:08 PM
I need some help with my good cause statement in solano county. I'm not a business owner, have a clean record well I got a dui in 2000, but I work on a bad street and want to be able to carry for protection. Can anyone who has been through the process in solano county recently help me out or give me a heads up on what to expect or what they used as a good cause?

I see a lot of info for other counties but none for solano.

Zimz
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
See above, the last 3 pages of threads have the info you want..

clcolin81
03-07-2011, 7:16 PM
So I downloaded an application and am now writing up a rough draft of a good cause statement. I think I read earlier in this thread that brandon or gray might be able to help me out. I think I know who Gray is, but not sure who brandon is. Can you guys (or anyone else who can help me) send me a PM so I know who to talk to?

Also, does anyone know if there will be another event like the one in Dixon a little while back?

BusBoy
03-07-2011, 8:24 PM
So I downloaded an application and am now writing up a rough draft of a good cause statement. I think I read earlier in this thread that brandon or gray might be able to help me out. I think I know who Gray is, but not sure who brandon is. Can you guys (or anyone else who can help me) send me a PM so I know who to talk to?

Also, does anyone know if there will be another event like the one in Dixon a little while back?

PM wildhawker...

Zimz
03-09-2011, 10:46 PM
DONE!! Picked up my permit today! :party: Thank you CGF for all the advice!

Runin Ronin
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Congrats Zimz!!! Nachos time!

thorsmith59
03-10-2011, 6:47 PM
Hey Zimz, if you need someone to go with you on your nacho run and start shouting "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!", lemme know:-)

Zimz
03-10-2011, 9:40 PM
Hey Zimz, if you need someone to go with you on your nacho run and start shouting "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!", lemme know:-)

Yeah... thanks for the offer but I'll be okay. :whistling:

Purple K
03-12-2011, 5:45 PM

I'll make that same offer to you.... Lol

thorsmith59
03-14-2011, 7:57 AM
I'll make that same offer to you.... Lol

I'm sure you will:-)

Big
03-16-2011, 8:15 PM
Do I need complete a 16 hour class before submitting the application?
Also, do I need to submit a DMV printout?

Zimz
03-17-2011, 1:21 PM
Do I need complete a 16 hour class before submitting the application?

Nope, Solano SD won't accept any money or sign you up for any class until your initial application is approved.

Also, do I need to submit a DMV printout?

You will need a DMV print out with your application. The information packet you get with the application should go into detail on how that's obtained.

Big
03-17-2011, 1:42 PM
Thanks Zimz!

Dirmer3
03-17-2011, 8:09 PM
I'm also really interested in this, let me know if you find anything out!

thorsmith59
03-21-2011, 4:16 PM
Yeeha. Got the call today that I am approved. Appointment set for tomorrow. Nacho run tomorrow night:-)

JimSar
03-21-2011, 5:04 PM
Yeeha. Got the call today that I am approved. Appointment set for tomorrow. Nacho run tomorrow night:-)

Congratulations!

Mind posting a timeline summary?

eg

xx/xx/xxxx - submitted application
xx/xx/xxxx - livescan appointment

03/22/2011 - picture taking and picked up permit :cool2:

clcolin81
03-21-2011, 5:05 PM
I'm seeing a lot of success stories. Giving me hope. Congrats everyone!

thorsmith59
03-21-2011, 5:32 PM
Congratulations!

Mind posting a timeline summary?

eg

xx/xx/xxxx - submitted application
xx/xx/xxxx - livescan appointment

03/22/2011 - picture taking and picked up permit :cool2:

App dropped off on 12/27/10.
2 days later go the call to proceed to livescan.
Livescan on 1/10/11
Received call to schedule my training on 2/22/11.
Completed training with Baptist Security on 3/3/11.
Dropped off training paperwork on 3/4/11
Received call for final approval today3/21/11.

Zimz
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Yeahh!! enjoy the best nasty nachos you'll ever have! Well worth the gut bomb!

clcolin81
03-24-2011, 9:11 PM
I'm wondering, are there many of you that have gotten your CCW with only self defense as good cause?

thorsmith59
03-25-2011, 3:47 PM
Yeahh!! enjoy the best nasty nachos you'll ever have! Well worth the gut bomb!

Well, there was a slight problem. The power was out when I showed up for my appointment so I had to go back the next day.

The Nachos were awesome!!!!!:43:

Zimz
03-27-2011, 8:01 PM
I'm wondering, are there many of you that have gotten your CCW with only self defense as good cause?

For me it was SD with "fluff". I just explained in two paragraphs why I felt the need for self defense. My reasons were pretty basic though, nothing like carrying cash or assault victim or any of that. I don't think Solano is virtual "shall issue" yet, you still have to provide a good cause.

clcolin81
03-27-2011, 8:21 PM
For me it was SD with "fluff". I just explained in two paragraphs why I felt the need for self defense. My reasons were pretty basic though, nothing like carrying cash or assault victim or any of that. I don't think Solano is virtual "shall issue" yet, you still have to provide a good cause.

This sounds a lot like what my reasons are. Basically I don't carry large sums of cash, don't own a business, or have a job that puts me in bad neighborhoods, etc. I just believe it is my right and duty to protect my family.

I have my GC statement written out. would anybody out there be willing to give me some constructive criticism?

Runin Ronin
03-30-2011, 5:16 PM
Purple K, Thorsmith, Zimz or anyone else that might know... Does the Sheriff allow CCW holders in Solano County modify their CCW guns? Specifically sights other than OEM and added lasers or lights. Thank you in advance.

Zimz
03-30-2011, 9:06 PM
Purple K, Thorsmith, Zimz or anyone else that might know... Does the Sheriff allow CCW holders in Solano County modify their CCW guns? Specifically sights other than OEM and added lasers or lights. Thank you in advance.

As far as I know they don't restrict any modifications. Nothing was mentioned to me about it and they never asked. No mention on the permit either.

thorsmith59
03-31-2011, 8:55 AM
Ditto Zimz comments. There was no mention of limitations on the weapon or sights in the packet or during the application and trainin/qualification process. They ask for the model numbers/caliber/serial number only.

sar_man
03-31-2011, 9:33 AM
The sheriff's office does not even look at the weapon. They rely on the instructor to verify the model and serial number and note it on the target.

Runin Ronin
03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for chiming in. I have been notified by the SO that I can proceed with the training portion... Just need to schedule it.

Purple K
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM

The instructor inspects the weapon before listing it on the paperwork that he fills out. He seamed more concerned about safety and integrety of the weapon overall. When he observed my 17rd magazines he just asked how long ago I purchased the weapon and did I live in California then. He didn't ask about a laser, but he did ask if I planned to carry or mount a light. I doubt it'll be an issue as long as the modifications are safe ie: no one pound trigger jobs, etc.

clcolin81
04-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Dropped of my app on Thursday. I hope the heavy hail isn't some sort of omen!

thorsmith59
04-09-2011, 5:22 PM
Dropped of my app on Thursday. I hope the heavy hail isn't some sort of omen!

Good Luck. It takes a little patience but it's worth it.

I spoke with someone at the Sheriff's Office recently who said they are approving about 5 apps daily to proceed to the Livescan background check.

clcolin81
04-09-2011, 6:07 PM
Wow, 5 daily! That's great. I just hope my GC will hold up. Basically only self-defense.

I'm curious, Does anyone know where to find the recent numbers in CCW issuances in Solano?

vkosty
04-15-2011, 7:11 PM
I submitted my application more than 2 weeks ago. Now wondering if I haven't messed it up.
The instructions for filling in the cause were to do it in the presence of the interviewer. So, I left them blank.
The instructions also stated that I was supposed to sign it in front of a LE officer. The lady who took my application told me "Just sign it". So, now I'm thinking that perhaps I should have filled in the reasons.
Should I call and ask?

clcolin81
04-15-2011, 7:27 PM
I submitted my application more than 2 weeks ago. Now wondering if I haven't messed it up.
The instructions for filling in the cause were to do it in the presence of the interviewer. So, I left them blank.
The instructions also stated that I was supposed to sign it in front of a LE officer. The lady who took my application told me "Just sign it". So, now I'm thinking that perhaps I should have filled in the reasons.
Should I call and ask?

I'm pretty sure you were supposed to fill out all of section 7. At least that's what I did. Here's a link to their information sheet on their website.
http://www.co.solano.ca.us/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=10375

I would just give them a call and let them know what's going on.

vkosty
04-16-2011, 1:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you were supposed to fill out all of section 7. At least that's what I did. Here's a link to their information sheet on their website.
http://www.co.solano.ca.us/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=10375

I would just give them a call and let them know what's going on.

Thanks
It's pretty clear I was supposed to fill it in.
Will call them and see how to fix that.
Thanks a lot

fuenstock
04-21-2011, 7:50 AM
I've been following this thread very close. I am very interested in applying for a ccw permit. I live in Solano county and seems odds are great as long as you have a solid good cause statment and pass the other requirments. I also read here that one should wait until the outcome of a lawsuit is decided? Im wondering If I should wait for this or just go ahead and apply? Would it be a problem if I was to apply now and be denied, then solano turns into a shall issue county after said lawsuit and I apply again? Would I be more likey to be denied on a secound try if I was to be denied on the first attemp? Is there a limit of times or time peroid one can apply?

sar_man
04-21-2011, 8:01 AM
I would apply. One of my friends received his final approval last week.

clcolin81
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
@fuenstock: If CA does end up being a shall issue state, I would imagine that as long as you weren't denied for reasons other than lack of good cause, it shouldn't affect your chances the second time around, but then again this is just my humble opinion.

I applied at the beginning of this month. Waiting (im)patiently :toetap05:

Big
04-21-2011, 5:24 PM
Mailed app on 3/18. They called yesterday for residence verification, PG&E bill or other utility bill. I kinda get the feeling they are inundated with app's.

XRANGER375
04-22-2011, 4:26 PM
I dropped my app off March 30th, still have yet to hear from them. Also waiting patiently, ok why lie...not so patiently.

clcolin81
04-22-2011, 4:53 PM
I know what you mean. And I thought a 10 day wait was bad!

dlv290
04-25-2011, 2:15 PM
Does anyone know any updates on this particular lawsuit that will clear the air if Self Defense will be a good reason for CCW?

Librarian
04-25-2011, 2:28 PM
Does anyone know any updates on this particular lawsuit that will clear the air if Self Defense will be a good reason for CCW?

No updates - still waiting for Nordyke. Watch the 2nd Amendment Forum for that - that case has been running for ELEVEN YEARS, so news about it will get prominent mention!

As to the other half, we'll see. The dismissed party to the Richards (Sykes) suit, Sheriff of Sacramento County, decided 'self defense' was good enough.

clcolin81
05-05-2011, 3:11 PM
Just got a voicemail for the Sheriff's Department. Approved to proceed to the next step!! Just two days shy of the 30 day mark. :)

kennmark
05-05-2011, 3:52 PM
also waiting patiently here.... dropped off targets exactly 4 weeks today. :sleeping:

XRANGER375
05-05-2011, 4:06 PM
Ok, just got call to proceed to livescan. Just shy of 5 weeks from app drop off.

JimSar
05-05-2011, 4:26 PM
also waiting patiently here.... dropped off targets exactly 4 weeks today. :sleeping:

So that's 5 weeks, 4 weeks and 3 weeks, respectively, since training materials were dropped off for three Solano Calgunners who trained under Baptist. Anyone still waiting who dropped off targets in March?:confused:

Runin Ronin
05-05-2011, 4:58 PM
Patiently waiting as well... dropped off my targets 3 1/2 weeks ago.

97F1504RAD
05-05-2011, 5:05 PM
All you folks getting approved are you Corrections or anything special to be getting approved or are you all just regular civilians?

clcolin81
05-05-2011, 5:33 PM
Just a regular Joe. No large sums of money, or expensive merchandise, etc. either. Just Self-Defense with A LOT of elaboration.

sar_man
05-05-2011, 7:30 PM
Another friend just called me and he was told to drop off his targets.

sfpcservice
05-05-2011, 8:54 PM
All you folks getting approved are you Corrections or anything special to be getting approved or are you all just regular civilians?

Solano may be the only Bay Area county where a regular person has a very good chance of getting approved. I'm not hearing much about denials these days.

CriticallyStressed
05-06-2011, 6:55 AM
Just a regular Joe. No large sums of money, or expensive merchandise, etc. either. Just Self-Defense with A LOT of elaboration.

Since there seems to be several stories like yours, I'm wondering if you (or others who were approved) would mind posting your GC statement here. If it's too personal to be able to post (even with redactions) would you mind PM'ing it to me?

I've waited to apply at Solano because I thought I'd be getting a job in Sacramento and moving soon (but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon). So, I'm going to apply to Solano Sheriff but I want to make sure my GC statement is as good as I can make it before I do so.

sfpcservice
05-06-2011, 9:46 AM
Since there seems to be several stories like yours, I'm wondering if you (or others who were approved) would mind posting your GC statement here. If it's too personal to be able to post (even with redactions) would you mind PM'ing it to me?

I've waited to apply at Solano because I thought I'd be getting a job in Sacramento and moving soon (but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon). So, I'm going to apply to Solano Sheriff but I want to make sure my GC statement is as good as I can make it before I do so.

All of the Good Cause Statements are already posted. They are redacted, but you can still get enough out of them to figure out the theme. Check out the 1st post in this thread to find the statements.

97F1504RAD
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Can i get the name and number for the gal in charge to call her and have a packet sent. I cannot seem to locate that info in this thread.

Thanks

sar_man
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Can i get the name and number for the gal in charge to call her and have a packet sent. I cannot seem to locate that info in this thread.

Thanks

You can go to the county website and download the packet from there. http://www.solanocounty.com/depts/sheriff/pubinfo/concealed_weapons_permit.asp

clcolin81
05-06-2011, 5:10 PM

Like sfpc suggested, this is what I did. Look through all of the GC's to get a ideas, but you should write one that is specific to you. I just stated self defense, and talked about how important I feel the need for self defense is, and elaborate, elaborate, elaborate. It took me like a month to polish it up.

Btw, since I got approved for the next step, does this mean that my GC is good, or do I still have to worry about that?

CriticallyStressed
05-06-2011, 6:47 PM
All of the Good Cause Statements are already posted. They are redacted, but you can still get enough out of them to figure out the theme. Check out the 1st post in this thread to find the statements.

I've already looked at the statements you're referring to. They were the statements from before a bunch of Calgunners started applying; most were corrections officers.

What I'm interested in knowing is what the GC statements from recently approved Calgunners look like. Most have nothing to go on other than elaborated versions of self defense (which is my situation as well). I'm keenly interested in specifically what they said.

Edit: I checked the good cause statements again at the beginning of this thread; they haven't been updated since the last time I looked. As I stated a few months ago the vast majority of them are Corrections Officers, former MIL or LEO, etc. The few "average joe" ones were so heavily redacted I'm not sure how much they elaborated on their situations. (Several were business/work related but I don't have that to help me).

Again, I'm asking any Calgunner who has recently been accepted in Solano County to PM me their GC statement. Please remove your name or specifics that could identify you but I'd like to see what your elaborated self defense statement looks like. I'm not planning to copy word for word but I sure could use your guy's help in crafting mine.

Thanks.

97F1504RAD
05-07-2011, 9:21 AM
I've already looked at the statements you're referring to. They were the statements from before a bunch of Calgunners started applying; most were corrections officers.

What I'm interested in knowing is what the GC statements from recently approved Calgunners look like. Most have nothing to go on other than elaborated versions of self defense (which is my situation as well). I'm keenly interested in specifically what they said.

Edit: I checked the good cause statements again at the beginning of this thread; they haven't been updated since the last time I looked. As I stated a few months ago the vast majority of them are Corrections Officers, former MIL or LEO, etc. The few "average joe" ones were so heavily redacted I'm not sure how much they elaborated on their situations. (Several were business/work related but I don't have that to help me).

Again, I'm asking any Calgunner who has recently been accepted in Solano County to PM me their GC statement. Please remove your name or specifics that could identify you but I'd like to see what your elaborated self defense statement looks like. I'm not planning to copy word for word but I sure could use your guy's help in crafting mine.

Thanks.

I agree it would be nice to see what us normal folks are using as GCS and it could help all of us who are interested in obtaining our rightful CCW.

That's why I asked the question above about are most of you normal guys or C-Officers or some retired LEO's because that is all it seems to be in the posted GCS

CriticallyStressed
05-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree it would be nice to see what us normal folks are using as GCS and it could help all of us who are interested in obtaining our rightful CCW.

That's why I asked the question above about are most of you normal guys or C-Officers or some retired LEO's because that is all it seems to be in the posted GCS

It would seem that you and I are in exact agreement.

clcolin81
05-09-2011, 2:31 PM
Just got back from Livescan. While I was there I heard someone else come in asking for an application. Wonder if it was a Calgunner.

@ Critically Stressed / 97F1504RAD, I hear you guys. I was in the same position not too long ago. keep in mind I'm not too sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I don't really know if passing the first step means my GC is good, or if it will still come into question later.

Big
05-09-2011, 8:28 PM
Just got back from Livescan.

Me too

CriticallyStressed
05-10-2011, 7:00 AM
Just got back from Livescan. While I was there I heard someone else come in asking for an application. Wonder if it was a Calgunner.

@ Critically Stressed / 97F1504RAD, I hear you guys. I was in the same position not too long ago. keep in mind I'm not too sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I don't really know if passing the first step means my GC is good, or if it will still come into question later.

Thanks for your comments (and the PM). I know the Sacramento thread has a lot of details on the process, I'm still a little fuzzy on how Solano works... do you have an interview or just drop off the application? If someone who has been through the entire process could outline it in bullet-point format that would be very helpful.

I'm going to apply but I need to pickup my CCW gun first so I can put its S/N on the application, but I can't pick up the gun until after I get back from Front Sight in a couple of weeks. Too much to do! :chris:

Purple K
05-10-2011, 7:01 AM
They wouldn't waste your time and money for Livescan if they didn't like your GC.

JimSar
05-10-2011, 7:53 AM
I heard that Paulatte Duclair, the Sheriff's admin secretary, has retired. She played a major role in reviewing / processing the CCW apps, so it may impact or have impacted their turnaround. Just speculating.

CriticallyStressed
05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks all for your comments, I'm going to proceed with crafting my GC statement. I'd like you all to chime in with your opinions on the following though:

On one section of the app. it asks if you have/had and CCW's issued by another agency. I've had Washington and Idaho permits for the last 10 years, both of which are still valid. Is it a good or bad idea to list those on the application and/or refer to them in my GC statement as evidence that I understand the responsibility and am familiar with carrying a weapon for self defense? (I used to live in those states previously and carried 24/7 for years).

clcolin81
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Just my humble opinion, but I don't think out of state ccw's would hurt. I would imagine it would help. Just answer everything honestly, cuz everything they ask you, they can pretty much find out on their own anyway.

BTW, Once I get the notification to schedule my training I plan on buying a new gun. I asked Debra and she said I can still change the guns on my app before I turn in the targets, so I wouldn't let the lack of a prefered carry gun stop you from turning your app in.

clcolin81
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
They wouldn't waste your time and money for Livescan if they didn't like your GC.

Thanks, that's encouraging. I guess I'm just a "not till the fat lady sings" kinda guy. :)

CriticallyStressed
05-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Just my humble opinion, but I don't think out of state ccw's would hurt. I would imagine it would help. Just answer everything honestly, cuz everything they ask you, they can pretty much find out on their own anyway.

BTW, Once I get the notification to schedule my training I plan on buying a new gun. I asked Debra and she said I can still change the guns on my app before I turn in the targets, so I wouldn't let the lack of a prefered carry gun stop you from turning your app in.

Thanks for your reply.
I figured it couldn't hurt but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.

I'm going to try and start the DROS on a Glock 30 today (I should be able to get the S/N when I do the paperwork, regardless of when I pick it up). I've also got to supply a utility bill according to the process listed on the Solano Sheriff's website (have to get that tonight). So at the earliest, I can submit my app tomorrow via certified mail (the documentation Brandon asked us to have so that we can "prove" it was submitted).

I welcome further comments and advice.

CriticallyStressed
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks, that's encouraging. I guess I'm just a "not till the fat lady sings" kinda guy. :)

I'm the same way (really trying not to get my hopes up before I even apply).:cool:

CriticallyStressed
05-11-2011, 5:18 PM
Well I pulled the trigger today and sent my application in (via Guaranteed Delivery USPS with tracking and delivery receipt, just in case).

I appreciate those of you who gave me positive feedback on my GC statement. I hope to hear back from the new gal Debbie soon about proceeding to the next step.

Runin Ronin
05-11-2011, 7:59 PM
Well I pulled the trigger today and sent my application in (via Guaranteed Delivery USPS with tracking and delivery receipt, just in case).

I appreciate those of you who gave me positive feedback on my GC statement. I hope to hear back from the new gal Debbie soon about proceeding to the next step.

Cool beans! I wouldn't call Debbie "new"... Through my entire process (4 months) I dealt with Debbie the whole time... I haven't talked to Paulette at all... Debbie is a very nice lady.

CriticallyStressed
05-12-2011, 7:17 AM
Cool beans! I wouldn't call Debbie "new"... Through my entire process (4 months) I dealt with Debbie the whole time... I haven't talked to Paulette at all... Debbie is a very nice lady.

Thanks Ronin, I'm glad to hear she's not an unknown factor then. I hope to get a call from her sometime in the next 30 days or so :cool2:.

clcolin81
05-12-2011, 8:55 AM

Good Luck! Sorry I didn't have a change to give my feedback before you sent it. It looks good though.

sar_man
05-18-2011, 8:06 AM
FYI, another friend of mine picked his rice-paper up yesterday.

Runin Ronin
05-18-2011, 8:59 AM
Sheriff's Office left me the voicemail yesterday.... I just need to make an appointment to pick up my CCW.

sar_man
05-18-2011, 9:05 AM
May need to change the color on the map :-)

JimSar
05-18-2011, 9:51 AM
http://www.pbase.com/jimsar/image/134812114.jpg

Got it today! Enjoy the pic, nachos money went to CGF as voluntary contribution. :D

clcolin81
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Congrats Ronin and JimSar. I hope to be joining the club sometime soon.

I don't mean to sound ignorant or out of the loop, but what is this thing about nachos???

Purple K
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
For those that were wondering: the interview is optional.

JimSar
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Congrats Ronin and JimSar. I hope to be joining the club sometime soon.

I don't mean to sound ignorant or out of the loop, but what is this thing about nachos???

Thanks for the congrats, but CGF really deserves the kudos.

I'll let Purple K, Runin Ronin or someone else elaborate on the nacho thing. I've got CRS, can't remember s... Runin Ronin jogged my memory, it had to do with WalMart nachos.

Runin Ronin
05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Here's my understanding... The Walmart nachos "ritual" started on another forum. Upon receiving your CCW, you head on over to Walmart, walk around and purchase nachos to eat. Why nachos? not really certain but, the reason Walmart is chosen is because there is usually a Walmart near you and Walmart is always full of people.

I believe the reasoning is to relieve a new CCW holders fear or concern of "printing" in public. You walk around a well populated Walmart and you realize "no one is paying any attention to you", you are walking around eating your nachos with a loaded firearm on your hip and... no one can care less about you.

That's how I interpret the Walmart Nachos "ritual".

I will be at my local Walmart tonight... I'll be the one walking around... shopping :)

CriticallyStressed
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Congratulations guys!

I hope to be celebrating in a few months time, I got confirmation (via USPS) that my application packet was delivered last week. Now the waiting begins.

thorsmith59
05-19-2011, 7:54 AM
Congrats Jimsar and Ronin.

You're pretty much right on about the "Nacho Run". The whole point is to get over the idea that everyone will know you are carrying.

kennmark
05-19-2011, 1:47 PM
Congrats Jim and Ronin..... man i dont know what to say, i submitted my targets on 4/7.... still no call, getting anxious! 5 months total at the end of this month.

Runin Ronin
05-19-2011, 4:58 PM
kennmark, did you check all the phone numbers you listed on your application? SO left a message on my home voicemail (which I never check) and also left one on my office (which I got the following day). No calls to my cell where I was expecting the call since that's the number they always called me on to proceed with the next steps.

kennmark
05-19-2011, 7:00 PM
i only have one number on my app... oh well i hope tomorrow.

FERGUSON
05-20-2011, 7:00 AM
well im not leo or a business owner....guess i dont qualify for a ccw in solano county...

Runin Ronin
05-20-2011, 7:20 AM
well im not leo or a business owner....guess i dont qualify for a ccw in solano county...

Incorrect. I am not an LEO nor do I own my own business. Just a normal Joe with a Good Cause that the Sheriff agreed with.

sar_man
05-20-2011, 8:09 AM

Three of the CCWs that I know of are to regular people. Not LEOs or business owners.

clcolin81
05-20-2011, 9:51 AM
I'm an average Joe with an average job too. Although let's not count my chickens yet. I've only made it to livescan so far.

Zimz
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Same for me. I don't own a business or am LEO. I just explained why I felt the need for self defense in detail. This county is actually pretty fair as far as "shall issue", from what I've seen anyway.

gixxerjody
05-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Hello all, I am new to the site and have been reading posts on the CCW in Solano County. I will be applying later this year but have started working on my Good Cause Statement. Who is the best person to send it to with Calguns for review? Also, will a small thing like a speeding ticket I got a year ago lower my chances of getting approved? Thanks for your help.

Purple K
05-24-2011, 5:57 AM
The Sheriffs office does request a DMV printout with your app. The speeding ticket could have an effect on your outcome depending upon how far over the speed limit, etc.

JimSar
05-24-2011, 7:28 AM
[QUOTE=gixxerjody;6453182 Who is the best person to send it to with Calguns for review? [/QUOTE]

I believe there's no such person if you're referring to the CGF organization. The Calguns community at large is a different matter, most folks here are really helpful. This thread shows what others did ... research Solano as well as other counties' good cause statements, draft one that fits your particular situation, then PM it for critique by those who have just gotten theirs approved.

XRANGER375
05-24-2011, 2:58 PM
Not sure if it has changed but my application required a DMV printout.

CriticallyStressed
05-25-2011, 8:47 AM
Not sure if it has changed but my application required a DMV printout.

Mine did as well, only took a few minutes and $2.00 to get from the DMV online.

kennmark
05-25-2011, 2:17 PM
i need to get a feeler here for those of you that got their ccw already.... from the day you turned in your targets, how long did you wait for them to call you to pick it up?

thanks.... i'm trying to be patient but just curious.

sar_man
05-25-2011, 3:24 PM
i need to get a feeler here for those of you that got their ccw already.... from the day you turned in your targets, how long did you wait for them to call you to pick it up?

A lot depends on how busy the Sheriff is. He reviews all the paperwork. I have seen with a couple of friends a couple of weeks to over a month.

vkosty
05-25-2011, 6:12 PM
So did mine. Debbie was nice enough to walk me through the process of getting it online

Mine did as well, only took a few minutes and $2.00 to get from the DMV online.

Runin Ronin
05-25-2011, 7:00 PM

5 weeks

kennmark
05-31-2011, 2:47 PM
im going on 8 weeks this week....

do any of you know what's going on at the sheriff's office recently?? i don't know if i should call and follow up.